Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CLUB SANDWICH  (Read 20977 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE CLUB SANDWICH
« on: December 03, 2003, 12:07:18 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, so you understand the title of them and you understand what is needed of you, post-wise, so let us post until the cows come home, not necessarily in that order.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 12:07:39 AM by bk »

Ron Pulliam

Re:THE CLUB SANDWICH
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 12:18:52 AM »

All right...I'll go first (or second, or third, depending on who beats me to it).

I'm up for some aspirin and because the cat was meowing pitiably.  She always does that when I talk in my sleep, so I guess I must have been really yakking away.  

I caught a discussion about Gregory Harrison, whom I must confess I've always found a convivial enough performer.  When he was considered a hot property on TV, he made a TV movie with Cheryl Ladd -- he was a patient in a military hospital -- a Scot -- and she was a nurse.  I thought him very credible and moving in that teleplay.  He's certainly no less talented than some of the folks spoken well of in this forum, but a film career was not in the cards.  I'm curious how he has been received on stage, as I know he's done professional theater work.

Whatever it is I'm "hosting," it's lodged itself in the sinuses right behind my left eye and it's really annoying.  

Maybe it's a chip from a procedure performed by aliens...maybe I've been taken and don't realize it.  Maybe the chip is recent, or maybe it's been activated.

And maybe, just maybe, I should go back to bed before my imagination has me running naked down the street.

Good night, dear readers!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 12:22:17 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jed

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 12:27:15 AM »

"Most food historians agree that the club sandwich was probably created in the United States during the late 19th/early 20th century. The where & who behind this classic sandwich remains a matter of culinary debate. The most popular theory contends this sandwich originated in men's social clubs, most notably the Saratoga Club in Saratoga, NY."

For more info on the club and other sandwiches, check out this handy dandy sandwich history site!

No one can say HHW ain't educational (not even Swishy's dad)!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 12:30:11 AM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 01:39:43 AM »

DRRon Pulliam, the film you saw Gregory Harrison in where he was in a military hospital was probably The televised version of THE HASTY HEART which his company produced for HBO or something, I think.  It was actually a stage production that he had done for the Ahmanson Theatre first.  Harrison's company, CATALINA, did do some forays into theatre for awhile out here with moderate success in the eighties.  They also ran and produced stuff out of a equity waiver theatre, called The Catalina Theatre, I believe.  

Though I never met him, I did have some dealings with them when they optioned my Sherlock Holmes play, THE EBONY APE.  I parted with them when they wanted to extend the option for six months for free.  I told them no, in no uncertain terms.  You don't get to shop my work for free.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 01:48:03 AM »

I thought Saratoga was only famous as a place where you got off the train rather than get married. The club sandwiches must have broken a lot of hearts if they were so enticing.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2003, 03:02:22 AM »

Mark Singer - Something for Joey   :'(

Congratulations to MR BK for obtaining Patty Duke Sings Songs from Valley of the Dolls & Other Selections.  Pay special attention to "Half Hearted Kisses" and "Learn to Live With Your Heartbreak" in addition to the VOTD songs.  It's got to be acting, it sure as hell ain't singing.

Beefcake was an interesting movie - I liked the commentary on the DVD and the interviews.

My first ASK BK question of the day then will be - what is your favorite song - vocal and instrumental - from VOTD, and is that Johnny Williams conducting the orchestra in the nightclub scene where Tony Polar is singing?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Emily

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 04:16:19 AM »

mmmmmmmm.... club sandwiches.....

aghlaaraghagraghagha

I hate how HHW makes me crave unusual foodstuffs at early hours :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2003, 04:34:24 AM »

MattH:
Here's a little bit more information about Clay AIken's rendition of "Vincent." Fifteen minutes before the show began that night, the producers changed the arrangement of "Vincent" cutting a different part of the lyrics than he had been practicing for three previous days. He didn't even have a chance to sing the new version with any accompaniment before the show started. He was trying during his backstage time to learn the altered cuts in the song, and that's why he went up on the lyrics during the live broadcast. When I found that out, I completely eliminated "Vincent" from my mind as dirty pool on the part of the show's producers. As far as I'm concerned, his renditions of every song during his weeks on the show were simply astounding.

I thank you for this reminder that "reality" television is anything BUT "reality."  People are hoodwinked into believing they're watching a competition in which the winner is decided my some sort of national poll.  Nothing could be farther from the truth, and I find this hoodwinking disgusting.

DR Charles Pogue: How fondly I recall that ACT Taming of the Shrew, which had a great influence on me at the time.  I hope our local video store has it.

I thought Saratoga was only famous as a place where you got off the train rather than get married. The club sandwiches must have broken a lot of hearts if they were so enticing.

TFO is kidding, of course, but it astounds me how many singers of Adelaide's Lament I encounter who have no idea why that train is stopping in Saratoga, of all places.  The film tried to clarify this, by changing it to the track in Yonkers, but why a train to Niagara would stop in so local a place is anyone's guess.  (You'd hardly have time to enjoy the air-conditioned compartment on the 20 minute ride.)

Ask BK - a couple of Ask BK days ago, I asked what songs you almost recorded for the Lost In Boston series but didn't.  Your response mentioned shows such as Sherry, leading me to believe that you thought I was asking what songs you almost recorded for the Unsung Musicals series but didn't.  LIB, as far as I can tell, didn't contain songs from Unsung Musicals like Sherry.  Am I making sense?
Perhaps there's no answer.

Today I must create and send a Christmas card.  I'm hoping the folks at Village Copier can help me.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2003, 05:20:58 AM »

Like DRS Noel and Charles Pogue - I remember the ACT Taming of the Shrew....very funny.  Haven't seen or thought about it in many moons.

I seem to remember that I liked Marc Singer better as Petruchio than I liked his leading lady, but I don't remember who played Kate - although her name was familiar to me when I saw it.  Who was it?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2003, 06:17:57 AM »

How interesting!  I, too, almost always order a Club Sandwich.  It is hard to mess up, and is usually at least as much if not MORE than I can eat.   :P

The origin of said sandwich is attributed to a sandwich made in the Club Cars of the trains crossing the US, the invention of a man who came home late one night from his club and raid the refrigerator, OR the invention of a chef at the Saratoga Race Track (discussed here in recent posts) - where potato chips were also "invented."

Here is my favorite recipe for a Club Sandwich:

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/lunchbox/turclub.htm

Emily

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2003, 06:26:15 AM »

Am I the only person who thinks it is funny that so many recipes for sandwiches included the directive: "put the other slice of bread on top"?

I mean... shouldn't that be intuitive?  If you need to be TOLD that maybe you don't deserve the joys of the sandwich... :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2003, 06:35:59 AM »

LOL DR Emily - can you imagine the hundreds of confused sandwich makers with a leftover slice of bread if it were not so?

William E. Lurie

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2003, 06:37:14 AM »

I wouldn't want to eat a club that didn't want me as a member (with apologies to Groucho Marx).

2 quick Ask BK questions:

Is Terry Trotter any relation to JohnScott Trotter?

Whatever happened to Roy Chickas (I think I spelled it right) who sings on your BROADWAY CHRISTMAS CD?  Most of the members of the BK rep singers were familiar to me and I have seen them or at least heard about them doing many subsequent projects, but this is a singer I have never heard of before or since.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2003, 07:02:13 AM »

Good morning all!

For American Idol fans:

The new world Idol airing on Christmas:

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271%7C84633%7C1%7C,00.html

http://www.azreporter.com/entertainment/television/news/worldidol.html

For some reason I thought Ruben was going to compete too. Does anyone know if this is not happening? (can they have 2 contestants from one country).

I don't get the voting though. Won't Kelly Clarkson win since probably more US people will vote than from any other country?  Or will only a certain amount of people get through on the phone lines?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 07:09:23 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2003, 07:10:33 AM »

BK, this might sound dumb, but what is the name game?

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2003, 07:13:50 AM »

Am I the only person who thinks it is funny that so many recipes for sandwiches included the directive: "put the other slice of bread on top"?

I mean... shouldn't that be intuitive?  If you need to be TOLD that maybe you don't deserve the joys of the sandwich... :)

Ha ha.  Well I know what you're saying.  But I think every recipe has to include EVERY detail.  Cause there are some people who ain't that bright! :)

Btw, my amazon.ca cds came (they mailed them monday, they came tuesday!)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2003, 07:25:23 AM »

Well, the DR question is more for myself...

"What the hell am I still doing sitting in front of my computer when I have a matinee at noon?!??!"

Getting my morning fix of HHW, that is!

DR Ron - That's right, it was Marc Singer in that movie with Gregory Harrison.  I think I was thinking about that male model with Joan Collins, I believe Jeff Conway was in that one - playing a drugged out male model.

Well, gotta run.

*Oh, and my cute-as-a-button niece finally did NOT cry when I got near her this morning!  HOORAY!  However, when I tried to hold her, she sat for a few seconds and started squirming mightily.  I let her go back to her grandma - my mom - before she started to cry.  ...Slowly but surely she's getting used to her Uncle Jojo.  ;)

See you tonight after the show(s).
Make Your Own Luck.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2003, 07:32:48 AM »

Good Morning all DRs....

Happy Wednesday, and may you all wallow in the sandwich of your choice today.  :D

Dear esteemed, swarthy, and erudite BK --

Two questions for today please...first, going way back to very early TV in So. Calif., my grandparents used to never miss a variety type show with a definite "country" flavor to it.  It was hosted by someone named Cliffy Stone, and regularly presented a young girl singer named Molly Bee.  Do you remember ever seeing this?

THe other question :  Is there any way to ever see a tape or a copy or anything of the documentary you did about the early TV kid's show hosts in So. Calif. ??  I would dearly, dearly, dearly (that's 3 dearly's) love to watch that and enjoy all those memories.

Happy editing Poobah.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2003, 07:33:16 AM »

DRS - MusicGuy and Kerry you have a package on the way to your house.

In reading on the internet and discovering an article that I think was first published in the famous Scarlet Street magazine - the VCD copy of Who Killed Teddy Bear?  coming your way does NOT include the infamous swimming pool scene.  It does have the first part of it, wherein Juliet Prowse enters the Hudson Health Club and is in the pool, but the second part of the scene wherein Mr Sal Mineo wears a revealing Speedo-type bathing costume and has a sexual water fantasy about said Prowse is NOT there.  

I am also sending along a video tape with 4 episodes of ancient television which I hope you will enjoy.  I will tell you about them if you wish, or you can be surprised!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 07:34:29 AM by JRand53 »

Danise

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2003, 07:42:06 AM »

Good morning, all!  Well, my vacation is slowly coming to a close.  Sigh.  

I've always found it strange that there are instructions on the shampoo bottle.  Do they think your going to try to gargle (did I spell that right? looks wrong) with it?

Ok, here's my questions for the day--I kinda asked this the other day but it wasn't on the official ask a quesiton day.

What websites do you find useful or a favorites besides HHW?  I don't think I have to mention BBW & Weatherbug but here is another favorite.

www.refdesk.com   This a a GREAT site for all kinds of iinformation.

Question for BK

How do you decide what to use when your going through all that footage?  Do you have a script you go by?  I mean if someone blows a line, I know you wouldn't use that but what else?  Do you tell the ones who shot the film they didn't give you anything to work with so they have to re shoot?

I think I know what I'm going to have for lunch when I go out today--a Cub Sandwich!  

Have a good day all!

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2003, 07:49:11 AM »

VOTD favorite song is the title song as sung by the delectable Dionne Warwick.

I must have gotten confused when I said Sherry re LIB - we almost did a song called Now You Know (I think) from The King and I (it was too short and wasn't that good), I kept looking at all the cut stuff from Molly Brown (there was a ton) but it just was horrible, there were a couple of other Promises, Promises songs I toyed with but again, they weren't even fun in a bad way, I kept looking at Nice He Ain't from Gypsy but just couldn't get with it, and there were others which I don't remember.

MusicGuy: I certainly remember Molly Bee, but not Cliffy Stone.  I have to find my three quarter inch tape of the documentary - it's in storage, because the DVD I have which was made from a VHS has some dropouts and just doesn't look all that good.  I even have the 1 inch master, but I haven't been able to find it since I packed up from Varese.  I went back and looked in their back room but it didn't seem to be there, so I'm sure it's in a box somewhere.

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2003, 07:52:07 AM »

I am listening to Avenue Q for the first time and it is infectious!  I am on "mix tape" now. How cute. Awwwww.  And how true!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2003, 07:52:38 AM »

Danise: On the current show they shot hundreds of hours of tape - literally they shot for eighteen hours a day with multiple cameras.  They keep logs and then transcripts are done of anything they thought was really good.  I have those when I'm watching the tapes (those are usually done for scenes of emotion or camaraderie or substance, but not for action) and I highlight as I go along, things that seem important or funny or dramatic.  It's always too much, but from that the editor and I wheedle down and structure the scene.  Usually if something ran two hours in real time it won't end up being more than a minute or two in the show (sometimes even less).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2003, 07:54:14 AM »

Jennifer, The Name Game was a popular song in the sixties, by Shirley somebody (what was her last name?).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2003, 08:00:15 AM »

Ellis

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2003, 08:00:39 AM »

Finally saw QUEEN FOR A DAY last night (I had taped it). Boy that must be an emotional, gut wrenching show at times! I guess it just goes to show you that reality shows have been around for a very long time.

I felt so bad for the lady who had lost both children, her parents, and her husband! And she still didn't win QUEEN FOR A DAY!

Shirley Ellis sang THE NAME GAME. I love that song!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2003, 08:09:03 AM »

Well, of course I have to disagree about the talents of Gregory Harrison. As I've said earlier, I found him the best of the four principals in the FOLLIES revival, and the only one whose singing voice was true and who could sing the rhythm of his songs (poor Judith Ivey struggled with tempos on every song she had to sing and was usually lagging far behind). And I will forever love Gregory for taking that emotionally devastating part of Eric Roberts' ex-lover in IT'S MY PARTY. Their final scene together will stay in my memory for as long as I live.

For Ask BK Day - you gave us your review of LA STRADA a week or two ago, but I can't recall if you said it's your favorite Fellini film or not (It is my favorite.) If not, what is your favorite Fellini film and why?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2003, 08:13:00 AM »

For many reasons, my favorite Fellini is The White Sheik, his first solo directorial effort.  I find it hilarious, wise, rueful and wonderful.  I'm not so thrilled with Criterion's transfer of it, but I'm happy to have it anyway.  I've been touting this film for years, and was happy to see that Woody Allen, in one of the books written in the last few years, said it was almost his favorite sound comedy.  But, then, I love all Fellini from that period - I adore La Strada and I Vitelloni, and I even like Il Bidone.

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2003, 08:17:35 AM »

Okay I am now listening to "My girlfriend who lives in Canada" and I have tears rolling down my face. I had no idea Avenue Q was THIS RAUNCHY.

Danise

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2003, 08:19:06 AM »

BK  I bet that gets tiring--after awhile.  I'm suprised that after all those hours of sitting and watching that, you come home and watch DVD's.  Kinda like a person who works in a candy factory coming home to munch down on a candy bar.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up