Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CAT IS OUT OF THE BAG  (Read 59689 times)

FJL

Re:THE CAT IS OUT OF THE BAG
« Reply #120 on: March 19, 2006, 01:31:33 PM »

Francois - Isn't there an old song "I've been to Paree twice, but I've never been to me."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: March 19, 2006, 01:37:08 PM »

Interesting choices so far.  I've been thinking about changing the title of the story called Sweet Dreams to I'll See You In My Dreams - more resonance perhaps.  What say you?  Just for the story, not the collection.

François de Paris

« Reply #122 on: March 19, 2006, 01:39:20 PM »

Francois - Isn't there an old song "I've been to Paree twice, but I've never been to me."

I think it's

"I've been to peritoin
But I've never been tummy!".... but I may be wrong!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 03:30:52 PM by François »

François de Paris

« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2006, 01:41:39 PM »

Interesting choices so far.  I've been thinking about changing the title of the story called Sweet Dreams to I'll See You In My Dreams - more resonance perhaps.  What say you?  Just for the story, not the collection.

I could stomach "So Loins Ago"... but do I know what i'm talking about? Sorry! ;)

FJL

« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2006, 01:43:34 PM »

From my tribute to Tomovoz' lyric parodies:

Can it be that words were all so simple then
Or has Tom rewritten every line
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 01:45:56 PM by FJL »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2006, 01:46:17 PM »

BTW, in case it ever comes up on a quiz show, the answer to the question "Do celebrities get better treatment on an airplane?" is a resounding yes.  The wonderful actor Peter Dinklage (of THE STATION AGENT fame) happened to be on our flight to Toronto, and a lot of attention (although not fawning) was paid to him.  As it happens, while he is as short of physical stature as he seems to be on film and stage, he seemed to be extraordinarily pleasant and charismatic, and actually quite a bit handsomer than one would expect from his film appearances.  

He was simply wonderful in THE STATION AGENT, a much underrated film, too. He also had a major role in this TV season's sci-fi drama THRESHOLD. What always surprises me is his sensual voice which is also a much deeper register than one might expect.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2006, 01:48:00 PM »

Another interesting mix of TV and DVD this afternoon.

First up was Friday night's MONK which was fairly good, but parts were very irritating (not being able to hear what someone was saying and repeating it over and over and over). Not up to the season finales of other seasons.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2006, 01:49:33 PM »

My first inclination is this title simply because it seems to grab the attention more then the others....but without knowing what the stories are about I can't say if this title is the best choice.

I agree Mbarnum... I also like the third one but it is hard to say what would be a good title when the nature of the others stories is not known
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2006, 01:49:36 PM »

Next came another ANGEL episode, always beautifully crafted and full of suspense laced with humor. I know Season 3 is a pivotal one in the history of ANGEL and just from the little bit I know about it (I didn't start watching the show on the network until its fourth year), I'm going to hate so see certain things unfold that I know are coming.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2006, 01:50:41 PM »

Next came the next-to-last FIREFLY episode. Poignant and superb.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2006, 01:51:59 PM »

But You Don't Know Paree!.... I mean ME! ;)

I do admire you for your wit and good humour!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2006, 01:52:45 PM »

Knowing I've only got one episode left, I went ahead and jumped to the special features on this final disc: the "making of" documentary, the gag reel, a featurette on the actual space ship set (two levels on two different soundstages - fascinating), and all of it celebrating a cult show whose reputation will be around a long, long time.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2006, 01:53:00 PM »

Dahling?! Dahling?!

Are you channelling PennyO?!

Penny has an infectious nature that infects us all!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2006, 01:54:33 PM »

Then I pulled out the first Margaret Rutherford/Jane Marple film MURDER SHE SAID and watched about 2/3 of it. I'll finish it before network TV begins this evening. A fun mystery. I think the later films look even better on DVD than this one does, or at least the beginning looked a little less crisp than the rest of the film I've seen to this point. The other films are rock solid.

Tomovoz

« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2006, 01:58:29 PM »

"I've Never Been Tommy" was sung (ans mimed) in that deligthful film "Jose - Queen of the Dessert".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2006, 01:59:35 PM »

Notes have been taken DR FJL for the Hi Ho Silver Foot cure.  We shall check it out in October.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2006, 02:00:59 PM »

Mamories of the way we were I assume DR FJL
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2006, 02:01:51 PM »

Larry is now a category 5 storm battering the land of Queens in OZ.
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2006, 02:08:42 PM »

Larry is now a category 5 storm battering the land of Queens in OZ.

Not good....

They are cyclones down there, correct?

Tomovoz

« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2006, 02:10:49 PM »

And for truth in lyrics:

"I've been to Paris thrice
But I've not always been Tommy"
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2006, 02:11:55 PM »

Indeed a cyclone is battering the coast of Queensland at the moment.  I blame Jose (for letting Larry loose).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 02:31:59 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2006, 02:14:03 PM »

And on their next to last recording called "Couldn't Be Hotter," they had a song called, "Nothing Could Be Hotter Than That."  I always thought that that was cool, that they specifically didn't name their albums after the name of a song.  Just a thought.

George you're getting me confused!!

"Hotter" is cool?!?! ;)

Uhh...yea!  Pun intended.  I meant to do that. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2006, 02:21:16 PM »

I,of course, vote for the Book Scout...It is the most intriguing of the titles.  Adventures with My Father sounds rather soft and nebulous.  Sweet Dreams conjures up nothing other than Patsy Cline....

"Sweet Dreams" makes me think of The Eurythmics.

I also like "The Book Scout."  That gets my vote.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2006, 02:21:29 PM »

Indeed a cycle is battering the coast of Queensland at the moment.  I blame Jose (for letting Larry loose).

Shame on you Jose!!! LOL!!

George

« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2006, 02:27:55 PM »

I was awakened by a call at seven from Harvey Schmidt's assistant, telling me Harvey will now be in rehab for two weeks.  Apparently, Harvey isn't happy about not coming home, but his triple bypass surgery one that needs to heal perfectly, and they're concerned that he'll over exert himself if he's home (even a simple thing like pushing yourself up to get off a chair is dangerous) - so, it's probably best.  I'll be calling him later today and will pass on all your excellent vibes and xylophones, for which I know he'll be grateful.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~More Vibes and Xylophones for Harvey Schmidt!!~~~[/move]

George

« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2006, 02:31:07 PM »

How about THE BOOK SCOUT AND OTHER NOVEL STORIES?  :)

The Book Scout and Other Unseemly Stories?? ;)

Jennifer

« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2006, 02:31:11 PM »

Just got off the phone with my muse Margaret - we were batting around what we should call the short story collection.  She actually really liked the same one that dear reader Jane liked.  We know it has to be the title of one of the stories, and four of the stories have titles that just don't work at all as a title for the overall collection.  So, here are the three titles we can choose from.  Let's hear your votes:

Sweet Dreams and Other Stories

The Book Scout and Other Stories

Adventures With My Father and Other Stories

re:I'll See You In My Dreams. I like it much better.

Of the 3 choices above I prefer "Adventures With My Father".  But I actually really like "I'll See You In My Dreams".  It makes me curious because it sort of tells you more than the other titles.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2006, 02:33:08 PM »

Yes, change the Sweet Dreams to I'll See You In My Dreams...it's just more evocative...

George

« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2006, 02:33:28 PM »

Well, I must be going for a while.  I want to watch last Sunday's shows that I haven't watched yet, and some tapes from Friday.  That's a lot of TV watching.  Later!

François de Paris

« Reply #149 on: March 19, 2006, 02:34:35 PM »

I do admire you for your wit and good humour!

You're prejudiced (in your opinion) because you're the President of my fan club -- Matt won't know anything about this, I swear! -- but MERCI!

You're too good for my ego! 8) ;)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up