Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD HELL  (Read 61234 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
DVD HELL
« on: March 25, 2006, 12:07:48 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know all there is to know, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're DVD has frozen and they don't have a clew as to what to do about it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 12:18:42 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:DVD HELL
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 12:08:22 AM »

And the word of the day is: DECOLLETAGE!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 12:10:16 AM by bk »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 12:21:53 AM »

Hmmm, my worst two experiences

1.  Mother Nature delivered a lovely tornado and we had to evacuate to a place of safety in the midddle of the play.

2. THe PA system went another time...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 12:22:53 AM »

A good part of it is—most likely—nothing you could ever do in your role could screw up the show to the extent of what happened last night. So you can rest well with that knowledge.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 12:24:54 AM »

During a show of MAME I saw in NW Indiana, someone placed a coffee table to close to the curtain and it stuck on the curtain somehow and was dragging across the stage, and one of the actors had to chase it down before it made the wings.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 12:27:55 AM »

My sister Anne, was acting in THE FOREIGNER at Georgia Southern College, and as she was doing a scene she noticed a shadow on the table that had never been there before. It was the shadow from a prop chandelier hanging over the kitchen set. Hmm, she thought, that's odd. A few moments later she noticed the shadow had moved a bit. A few moments after that the chandelier crashed down onto the table.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 12:28:43 AM »

The pellet with the poison is in the cottage with decolletage.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 12:32:45 AM »

For a long time, I got the words "decolletage" and "decoupage" mixed up.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 12:34:55 AM »

I haven't seen (or don't remember) too many stage mishaps (other than just really bad shows or performances ;)).  One mishap that sticks out in my mind, happened in a fabulous local production of "Dracula," where they performed the show on a giant turntable.  The choreography for the scene changes was fantastic.  Anyway, on one of the nights that I ushered, someone set a bench just a tiny bit too far forward off the edge of the turntable and when it turned, the bench hit the side of the false proscenium and broke it...the proscenium, not the bench!  They had to stop the turntable and the show while they fixed the set.  It only took about a minute but the mood that was created during the show was pretty intense and getting back into it took quite a while.  Fortunately (for me, at least), this wasn't the first, nor the last performance that I ushered for, so I got to see the whole thing without any other undue interruptions. :)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 12:35:54 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 12:38:44 AM »

Well, it is approaching 4am here in the East, so adieu, adieu, to yieu and yieu and yieu.

George

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 12:40:09 AM »

Goodnight, Rodzinski.  I'm off, too.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 12:40:40 AM by George »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 01:54:19 AM »

Good Morning!

What?!?!?  No posts in over an hour?  Why one would think it was the middle of the night or something like that.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 02:04:18 AM »

Well, in about 24 hours, I shall be making my to 160 W 47th Street - otherwise known as the stage door entrance for The Palace Theatre, for the first preview of Lestat.  The first Broadway preview.  My first Broadway preview.

:)

-I'm still pinching myself.

However, I'm also playing the usual "I can't do this" mind games with myself.  Our final dress rehearsal went very well, and I made it out of my seventh floor room unscathed, if a little worse for wear.  There is one sequence in the first act that goes on for about 12 minutes, and is made up of about six different charts/pieces of music.  Just getting my pages organized is quite a task.  ...And when we got through that sequence, all of us up in the auxiliary room breathed a very audible sigh of relief.

But, again, I was feeling a bit down on myself.  I really just want it to be perfect.  Now.  Right now!  I didn't have any major f*uck-ups tonight, but I had my share of "clams", as well as some "shaky finger" moments.  However, Andy, the assistant conductor, paid me a nice compliment after the run-thru, which made me feel much better, much more at ease.  But I still felt like heading out for a drink, so...

I called my friend, James, and we headed out for a drink and a bite to eat.  It was nice being able to wind down, decompress and de-stress for a while.  -And in the middle of our late night meal, I noticed that I had a message on my cell phone from my conductor, Brad.  Hmm.... I guess I did f*uck up... Well, here goes....

When I hit the Play Message button...

"Don't freak out."

Exactly what I needed to hear.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006, 02:07:29 AM »

So, after having a bite to eat and a drink, we walked up Broadway for a while... Then over to Amsterdam...  -Oh, look - Cafe Lalo!  -And since neither of us had had dessert...

-And I didn't realize that Cafe Lalo was open so late.  -And they have also recently expanded their bar menu.  However, their selection of cakes, cookies, tortes, cheesecakes and other assorted goodies continues to satisy this DR's Sweet Tooth.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 02:09:25 AM »

Thanks to everyone here for the Break A Leg Vibes!  Again, they're very much appreciated, and you guys and gals are also very much appreciated and adored.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2006, 02:11:24 AM »

And speaking of Lestat...

Broadway.com finally posted the footage of last week's orchestra rehearsal along with an interview with our conductor, Brad Haak.  I'm sort of hidden behind my music stand, as well as a french horn player, but I do make an "appearance" here and there.  -However, you do get a nice look at our very nice-looking conductor, Brad.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2006, 02:13:04 AM »

BK - Glad to know your Opening Night went well.  Continued Broken Leg Vibes for this weekend and next.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2006, 02:16:13 AM »

As for stage mishaps.... Hmm...  I shall have to sleep on that.  Literally.

I'm guessing I'll get up sometime around Noon or 1:00... Then get some brunch...  Then head to the theatre around 4:00 just to get some practicing in - and to get some nerves out...  We have a "continuity rehearsal" at 6:30 for an hour... And then the curtain is at 8:00...

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2006, 02:16:48 AM »

DR Jane - Hope you're feeling better.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2006, 02:17:10 AM »

DR vixmom - My best to the vixter too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2006, 02:19:23 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - (Catching up from a few days ago..)  -Do you really have no interest in seeing "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe"?  It really is a wonderful story, and the movie was/is very well done, imho.  If you liked "The Lord of the Rings", "Harry Potter", etc., I'm sure "Narnia" could win you over too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2006, 02:19:54 AM »

OK.. eyelids are very heavy right now...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2006, 05:20:07 AM »

What an awful thing to have happen to the dvd player! It's kind of important the the show!

Jose, I am SO EXCITED for you tonight!

Sending good vibes for both of our gentlemen tonight! Break legs!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 05:20:30 AM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2006, 05:39:10 AM »

Good morning, al!  I'm stuck here today workng on the Men's Chorus charts.  Beyond that, no plans.  Nice, for a change.

Unlike DR MattH, I'm beginning to find CONVICTION a chronological mess:  court cases seem to take months to get to trial, and everything on this show flows quickly between personal lives and court.  I don't believe any of it.  Too fast, too pat.

I had a friend working on a production of WEST SIDE STORY in Cleveland in the late 1960s and Chino forgot his gun, so he had to strangle Tony.  In Maria's speech, she had to ask "how many fingers, Chino?  One for me?"

Oh, well.  Had to be there.  

DR Ginny and I were once in a Nadir Production of AUNTIE MAME in which the flaming Mame drinks set fire to the stage (oy!).

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2006, 05:40:40 AM »

Dear Friend BK, about last night's DVD glitch.  I blame DR Jose for it.  Totally.  Without doubt.  

Absolutely.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 06:20:47 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2006, 05:46:06 AM »

Technical foul ups....Oh my!

Sounds like everything ELSE went fine...so I am sending vibes for the DECEIT play cast and crew this evening!

ALSO VERY SPECIAL BROADWAY VIBES for DRJOSE on his Opening Night Preview performance!  

Will be checking the rest of the posts and Broadway.com later today!

Off to work!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2006, 06:25:27 AM »

DR Ginny and I were once in a Nadir Production of AUNTIE MAME in which the flaming Mame drinks set fire to the stage (oy!).

LOL, DR Elmore, remember when the actor (may he RIP) playing Mr. Upson nonchalantly handed his out-of-control flaming drink to the maid and said, "Nora, would you take this, please?"

Of course, DR Elmore, was too kind to mention the time I fell off the stage in dress rehearsal for You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2006, 06:33:54 AM »

BK - I'm sorry your triumphant return to the stage was sabotaged by technology.  It sounds like you and the others handled the situation with wit and aplomb.  Vibes for tonight!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2006, 07:46:28 AM »

Good morning!

Beautiful but chilly March day here in NC. But I'm not complaining. At least it's going to warmer than yesterday and no rain in today's forecast.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2006, 07:47:34 AM »

My heartiest good wishes, crossed fingers, and broken legs to DR Jose on his Broadway debut tonight. Much, much good luck to you!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up