Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: ZEN AND NOW  (Read 23872 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:ZEN AND NOW
« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2006, 08:32:15 PM »

This book is causing much ooh-ing and aah-ing among my coworkers today.  Some of them are too young, though, to get it:

Good grief is Twister even still around?
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2006, 08:32:29 PM »

CSI had a very unusual case dealing with a genius 12 year old girl and her efforts to outwit the team of CSIs. Kept me guessing for the entire hour.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #182 on: March 30, 2006, 08:34:13 PM »

And then WITHOUT A TRACE had a sad story about an abandoned family and their efforts to stay together. From what I knew about some of the conditions that kids I taught were living with, this tragic story tonight was more than likely based on a true story.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #183 on: March 30, 2006, 08:34:42 PM »

Back after the first meeting of a new grants management committee - the top administrators of the library system, my manager, and l'il ole me.  My presentation was the bulk of the agenda and they took notes, asked questions, and even participated in the "audience participation" portion!  I was more nervous about today's presentation than I am about tomorrow's interview.  But, thanks for the vibes for that and keep 'em coming!

Good luck Vibes to Ginny!!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #184 on: March 30, 2006, 08:37:22 PM »

Thanks for the magic trick vibes for Tuesday. I probably should have looked at the schedule because then I would have known that the magic trick was today and Tuesday was my Orchestra concert. I'm glad I realized that Tuesday morning because that would have been awkward.

Anyway, the concert went well. The magic trick could have been better, meaning that it didn't go so well. It was a mind-reading thing. My volunteer from the audience had to think of a number and I had to say what it was. I couldn't tell if it was four or five, so I said five. It was four. Oy!
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #185 on: March 30, 2006, 08:37:33 PM »

I'm going to an interesting event tonight at the TV Academy. WOMEN IN PRIME. Dealing with women in front of and behind the camera in Prime Time. For those interested in taking a look, there will be a LIVE WEBCAST at www.emmys.tv which is scheduled to begin at around 8 PM PST.

Good line-up of panelists scheduled:
Diane Burroughs (Creator, Executive Producer, Still Standing)
Laura Innes (ER)
Melina Kanakaredes (CSI NY)
Janet Leahy (Executive Producer, Boston Legal)
Janel Moloney (West Wing)
Kathryn Morris (Cold Case)
CCH Pounder (The Shield)
Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer)
Greer Shephard (Executive Producer, The Closer)
Holland Taylor (Two and a Half Men)
Jeanne Tripplehorn (Big Love)
And special guest Ms. Angela Lansbury

Should be fun. I'm hoping to say hi to Kyra Sedgwick at the reception afterwards. Haven't seen her since the 1993 Golden Globe Awards when she was nominated for Miss Rose White. During Rose White, BTW, she was invisibly pregnant with her (and Kevin Bacon's) daughter, Sosie, who now must be 14. How time flies!
Their son Travis was 3 at the time. He was very musical and, as I remember, Kevin B. had made him a little guitar which they played on the set while waiting for mom. Very sweet. After I came back from location (Richmond, Virginia as 1940's NY!) I sent them DD's miniature violin which she had outgrown.

Maria, sounds like an exciting and interesting evening.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #186 on: March 30, 2006, 08:39:27 PM »

Well it looks like I will survive the week...now the question is whether I'll survive my niece, her friend and the Ashlee Simpson concert tomorrow night.  

Ashlee Simpscon Concert survival vibes to Cilla~~

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #187 on: March 30, 2006, 08:41:42 PM »

Vibes for Dear Reader Ginny! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Right now I'm (supposedly) trying to do my homework. If anyone wants to say anything really insightful about Darl in As I Lay Dying, I won't stop you.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #188 on: March 30, 2006, 08:43:16 PM »

Lovely pictures DR Laura!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: March 30, 2006, 08:49:42 PM »

I'm trying my hardest to watch the new DVD of High Anxiety, which I was hoping time would have been kind to.  It hasn't.  It's one of the unfunniest movies I've ever seen - labored, shticky, and filled with the kind of "comic" acting I abhor - Ron Clark, Harvery Korman, and Howie Morris, all made my teeth hurt.  They're great in sketch comedy, but on film they're horrendous.  What happened to the Mel Brooks of The Producers, Blazing Saddles, and his finest hour, Young Frankenstein?  Everything after the latter pales, I'm afraid, despite sporadic amusing bits.

The real question is - to sweet or not to sweet?  I think the former, don't you?

Matt H.

« Reply #190 on: March 30, 2006, 08:53:18 PM »

I had a similar reaction to HIGH ANXIETY upon seeing it within the last month on the Fox Movie Channel. Spectacularly unfunny, and I remember laughing a good bit at it when I first saw it all those years ago. But there really is no story here. Just lame bits spoofing famous Hitchcock moments and style.

Matt H.

« Reply #191 on: March 30, 2006, 08:55:05 PM »

I still have all the movies in the Busby Berkeley box to watch, too. Well, I'll pass on 42nd STREET since I'm sure all that's changed is the keep case. I'll probably start with Cagney's FOOTLIGHT PARADE.

Matt H.

« Reply #192 on: March 30, 2006, 08:57:15 PM »

I'm sure fans of THE AMAZING RACE know by now that CBS has moved it to Wednesday night at 8 starting this coming week.

What this means for OUT OF PRACTICE and COURTING ALEX, I don't know, but I'm guessing it's not positive.

Matt H.

« Reply #193 on: March 30, 2006, 09:09:21 PM »

Heading down for bed now.

Good night, all!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #194 on: March 30, 2006, 09:44:42 PM »

I still like Mel singing the title song in the piano lounge, but, yeah, it ain't Blazing Saddles...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: March 30, 2006, 10:05:08 PM »

I'm slogging through it - the lounge scene is fine, and Cloris Leachman is amusing and Madeline Kahn tries hard with no material, but I'd say 90% of this film is just awful.  Of course, over on the imdb it's hailed as perhaps the greatest comedy ever made and Mel's best.  What's fascinating about that, however, is if you go back to the last two pages of comments (the earliest comments) you'll see most of them are negative (correctly so).  It's almost as if the Mel fan club arrived en masse to combat the bad "reviews".

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #196 on: March 30, 2006, 10:38:51 PM »

Two of my movied came in via ILL: House Made of DAwn and Cheyenne Autumn...

I will have to put on my student hat....  I promise to be gentle on CArol Baker...

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: March 30, 2006, 11:07:30 PM »

What a marvelous panel. I watch and admire many opf these series and many of these women. Would love to hear your thoughts on this when you return.

Well, DR Matt H, to start with the positive - Angela Lansbury was an absolute pleasure. She looked classy, was witty, wise and knowledgeable. She got a surprise award at the end of the evening for her groundbreaking contribution to women in television. Before the award, they showed a little film about her career. Amazing to see it encapsulated like that. She's done it all - and beautifully.
As for the rest of the evening... Disappointing. There were too many panelists to get a real discussion going. The women were bright and accomplished, without a doubt, but there was no opportunity for give and take. And the moderator was not the greatest. (Call me crazy - but in an evening about women in television, why have 12 women panelists with a man asking all the questions? There isn't one woman in town who could have done the job??)
The one panelist who couldn't make it because of a late shoot was -- Kyra. Skammen. However, as fate would have it, the wonderful actress K Callan sat next to me. We had a great conversation before and after the show. Weirdly enough, it turns out that she's guesting on The Closer this week and will be seeing Kyra tomorrow. So she'll pass on the hello that I was hoping to say.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #198 on: March 30, 2006, 11:54:03 PM »

THe snow is finally melting here and now we are getting rain!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #199 on: March 30, 2006, 11:55:29 PM »

A MAN?  Heaven forfend!  Not a MAN!  Why, that's TERRIBLE!  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: March 30, 2006, 11:56:31 PM »

I'm quite irked with all this WUSSBURGERING.  Whatever happened to our late-night denizens and posting frenzies.  Why, I remember a time when on two occasions we had four pages of posts by one in the morning.  Gone are the days, I suppose.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #201 on: March 30, 2006, 11:56:33 PM »

my snack for working on my paper!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: March 30, 2006, 11:56:49 PM »

What is Gone Are The Days an alternate title for?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #203 on: March 30, 2006, 11:57:27 PM »

I could make caramel corn....

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #204 on: March 30, 2006, 11:58:04 PM »

Ahhhhh

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #205 on: March 30, 2006, 11:58:38 PM »

thinking....

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #206 on: March 30, 2006, 11:59:08 PM »

Hello Dolly?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #207 on: March 31, 2006, 12:00:24 AM »

Have you seen House made of Dawn?

I have to work up bravery tomorrow and watch it. The book was a hard slog

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #208 on: March 31, 2006, 12:01:11 AM »

Smoke Signals was an interesting movie...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #209 on: March 31, 2006, 12:02:02 AM »

I hoep to find Dreamkeepers for the main characters in the movie are from the Rosebud Sioux nation.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up