Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: APRIL IN EARNEST  (Read 16200 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:APRIL IN EARNEST
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2006, 12:28:25 PM »

And speaking of life going on...

Well, here's Page Three at least!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2006, 12:32:19 PM »

I'm just relaxing.  Had to rifle through the first Kritzer book for a couple of reasons, and ended up reading the last ten pages or so and it was fun to revisit it.  I've talked to Tammy briefly, talked to the guy who did the Sondheim benefit in San Fran, will be talking to singer Lisa Vroman in a few minutes, and had a few other phone calls.  Now that I think of it, the phone hasn't stopped ringing.  

Starting to think about food, but probably won't eat until later this afternoon.  Must also get some Diet Coke and a few other things from the market.  Maybe I'll cook something today.  Maybe not.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2006, 12:33:52 PM »

And since it actually is a pretty gorgeous day outside...  I think I'm gonna go out and enjoy some of it.  I've actually been taking advantage of the nice weather the past couple of days - which is part of the reason for my E&Tness the past 36 hours.  I spent a good chunk of the day down in Chelsea on Friday, and it was nice to be able to check out some of my favorite places - it had been a couple of weeks.

I'm also supposed to help my friend, James, assemble his new treadmill this afternoon.  We opened the box the other night, and just started laughing.  "Some Assembly Required" looked to be quite the understatement.

...And then it may be off to see 70, Girls, 70 or a movie... Or some retail therapy down at the Virgin Megastore on 14th Street - the clearance bins down there are FILLED with amazing stuff!  Some of the CDs are just overstocks too, not "crap".  In any case...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2006, 12:37:07 PM »

Jose - Do you want a couple of singles (gratis to you) for tonight's 70 GIRLS 70?  You'd just have to come over here to get them is all.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2006, 12:44:21 PM »

I find several vocals on the SSS album not to my liking, and, if I recall correctly, my least favorites are all sopranos.  The director of these benefits has his favorites and he uses them in every show and I don't know why, except that he seems to be very loyal to them and yet he doesn't use others he's known just as long who are better.  Go know.  The highlight of the album is Andrea Martin's No Time At All and the CD is worth a purchase for that track alone.  

I'm listening to it right now!  So far, it's great!! ;D

BK, did you say that you might release other (so-far-unreleased) S.T.A.G.E. recordings?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2006, 01:18:17 PM »

If all goes according to plan, we'll be releasing all the unreleased STAGE recordings, and may even release some of the Actor's Fund recordings as well.

Ginny

« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2006, 01:19:52 PM »

Back from a surprise lunch date with my DH at Panera.  I stopped on my way home and did some shopping at a brand new Kroger store south of here.  Now I'm listening to my LP of Herschel Bernardi sings Fiddler on the Roof and puttering.

Sorry I missed DR Jose while he was here.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2006, 01:23:36 PM »

I had a great night's sleep last night. I ran some errands this morning and managed to clean out the lower eaves on the house.  We've had lots of rain and we're expecting lots more, so even though I'm not supposed to be doing the ladder thing....well, it couldn't wait.   Now I have the last load of laundry in and am sitting with my feet up.   While I was at Shopko I bought CAPOTE, RENT and WEST SIDE STORY (WSS was in the discount bin). So if there's nothing on, I have some viewing to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2006, 01:25:13 PM »

Now I'm off to make another batch of oatmeal cookies.  I used butter last time instead of margarine or shortening and it just didn't work like it used to, so I'm going to try it the way it's supposed to be done and see how it works.

Laters

Cillaliz

« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2006, 01:26:31 PM »

DR JRand - I haven't taken a net break in awhile, but I used to do it every so often. It's a nice thing to do from time to time.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2006, 01:33:14 PM »

Good afternoon!

Got laundry and other Sunday chores done (still have the guest bathroom to clean). It's been a pleasant Sunday.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2006, 01:34:36 PM »

Oatmeal cookies. Yum!

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2006, 01:36:07 PM »

I rewatched LIZA WITH A 'Z' while cooking and eating lunch. It's great seeing her so healthy and so full of youthful vigor.

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2006, 01:38:35 PM »

Then, I watched FOOTLIGHT PARADE. For a 1933 movie, it looks very good for the most part. There one scene that is so blurry it obviously had to be taken from a 16mm print, and there's an annoying scratch at the beginning of "Shanghai Lil." Some of Dick Powell's vocals sound very tinny while others don't. Strange.

But it's certainly an enjoyable old-fashioned musical.

Ginny

« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2006, 01:41:06 PM »

Just did some virtual shopping at Kritzerland and will look forward to a package soon!  Maybe while I'm at it, I'll  visit some of my other favorite online shopping establishments.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2006, 01:41:20 PM »

Finished the afternoon watching a couple of ANGEL Season 3 episodes. Angels's son was finally "born" (the vampire mother destroyed herself before she gave birth leaving the child still alive) in the first episode.

In the second, baby hunters from many realms of evil were coming for the baby causing an elaborate plan to be hatched to save him. And Angel named the baby at the end of this episode. Connor.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2006, 01:44:36 PM »

Jose - Do you want a couple of singles (gratis to you) for tonight's 70 GIRLS 70?  You'd just have to come over here to get them is all.

YES!!!

Hmm... Guess I should call...

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2006, 01:59:45 PM »

Now I'm off to make another batch of oatmeal cookies.  I used butter last time instead of margarine or shortening and it just didn't work like it used to, so I'm going to try it the way it's supposed to be done and see how it works.

Laters

Margarine does have a different "melt" than butter, but I've always preferred butter... However...  Sometimes, depending on the recipe, margarine does work betteer... However...

If you chill the dough for about an hour, that will help control the spread of the cookie as it bakes - especially with butter-based cookie doughs.  Additionally, the 'sitting time' allows the flour and oats to absorb more of the "liquids" - eggs and butter and vanilla - in the dough, resulting in a chewier cookie - and eliminating that raw flour taste that can happen sometimes.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2006, 02:01:18 PM »

OH!  And for a real treat, take a hint from Whole Foods - They have something called an "Oatwich Cookie Sandwich" - Two Oatmeal Raising Cookies with a Giant Gob of Whipped Maple Syrup Butter between them.   Soo decadent and soooo good!

*In fact, I had one yesterday!

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2006, 02:01:41 PM »

OK - I'm off to claim some tickets!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2006, 02:21:10 PM »

Off to finish my Sunday chores and then settle in with more ANGEL on DVD and then prime time television for the evening.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2006, 03:00:46 PM »

Off to see Movin' Out!

Bye for now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2006, 03:16:41 PM »

Thanks, Ginny, for your lovely order.  

I have really not been off the phone for more than five minutes since noon.  Even when I went out to buy some groceries, I had a long call on my cell phone.

I went to Koo Koo Roo's and got some macaroni and cheese and creamed corn.  I'm now back on track to see who will be the first person on haineshisway.com to lose ten pounds.  I actually already lost a couple this past week, which I think had a lot to do with doing the play.  It's amazing how much you burn when you're anxious and on your feet all the time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2006, 03:16:56 PM »

I'm watching Magic on DVD right now.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2006, 03:51:07 PM »

OK - well, I'm IN THE LOFT! Gosh, it's beautiful! Wish I lived HERE... oh, just remembered: I do!!! at least, through April. Wow. It should happen to me. And it did!!!
PennyO

FJL

« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2006, 03:55:31 PM »

The work I took home has turned out to be much more complicated than I expected, and we sort-of promised a draft of the return by Tuesday, since another accounting firm has to use our prelim. numbers for a calculation that has to feed back into this return.   :(

Hope Jose is enjoying 70, GIRLS, 70, which started about 20 minutes 20 ago.

FJL

« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2006, 04:19:01 PM »

Forgot to mention that we saw Disney's TARZAN last night.  After hearing about all the flying effects, we had opted for seats in the front mezzanine, which is a leg room nightmare, but especially great for seeing fun aspects of HOW the effects are done.   What was unusual was that the creative team, which on most shows to my knowledge tends to sit in the orchestra section, was sitting in the center section of the front mezz, two rows in front of where we were sitting.  I'm wondering if those front mezz. seats will end up ultimately being part of the "premium-priced" cache of seats, lack of physical comfor notwithstanding.

FJL

« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2006, 04:25:25 PM »

Bruce -  Was the producer of the DON JUAN DEMARCO musical you mentioned (on another chat board) having met with a lady by the name of Susan Gallin?  Skip had worked with Ellen Fitzhugh and Craig Lucas on that show for a while, and it had an open-to-the-public presentation at Seattle Rep, followed by a sort-of workshop in NYC.  Then, after some contractual stuff, it was being done by Craig Lucas with Tony Kushner and Jeanine Tesori.  And now I think it's going to be done with a score by Bryan Adams and the late Michael Kamen.  Were you talking with Susan Gallin about recording it back then?

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2006, 04:37:54 PM »

Just came back to modify an earlier post and leave -- but as it's a slow day, I'll contribute something...  Something: Made the mistake of lying down to read for a few minutes. Mistake! Should have kept working. Fell asleep. I was more tired than I realized. Now I'm awake and groggy. Must feed the Wonderdog, walk him, then must really clean up around here.
Macaroni and cheese seems to be the Food du Jour on HHW. And I want me some!!
(DR TPunk - Re your question - I shouldn't say this in public - but, yes, I'm going to TIVO NoTORIous. I'm curious.)

Cillaliz

« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2006, 04:43:45 PM »

Margarine does have a different "melt" than butter, but I've always preferred butter... However...  Sometimes, depending on the recipe, margarine does work betteer... However...

If you chill the dough for about an hour, that will help control the spread of the cookie as it bakes - especially with butter-based cookie doughs.  Additionally, the 'sitting time' allows the flour and oats to absorb more of the "liquids" - eggs and butter and vanilla - in the dough, resulting in a chewier cookie - and eliminating that raw flour taste that can happen sometimes.

Good ideas!  I used shortening and they came out just right, but I miss the butter flavor, so next time I'm considering using part butter and part shortening, but I may try chilling the dough.  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up