Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: APRIL IN EARNEST  (Read 16199 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
APRIL IN EARNEST
« on: April 02, 2006, 01:32:39 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, I hope you're not having as much trouble as I had getting on the discussion board to change the topic (which I suspect has something to do with the time change), and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're still playing April Fool's jokes.  Cows do that, you know.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 12:36:02 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:APRIL IN EARNEST
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 01:32:58 AM »

And the word of the day is: BLABBERMOUTH!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 01:46:59 AM »

BK, that's great about the play.  It's always the best feeling when you can end a show on a great performance.   Congratulations!  Hopefully, the play will have a great life!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 01:48:58 AM »

I was home all day yesterday.  I did nothing except watch TV and eat.  I didn't even take a shower.  Today will pretty much be the same thing, except I do need to take a shower...and do some laundry...and dishes...and clean my living room and kitchen (the worst and most public areas of my house).  So that's the plan for my day today (after I get some sleep). :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 05:07:38 AM »

Good morning, all!  I had a complete day of liesure yesterday, so I'm back to the grindstone this morning:  I've got one number to finish scoring for this week's Men's Chorus concert, it's quite long, about seven minutes.  I've also got an excursion to Toyland, and some edits in the appendix materials before I begin Act One.  Again!

I had a lovely day yesterday:  I reorganized some files in my computer, lounged about like so much fish, and spent about four hours watching the BBC production of DANIEL DERONDA, which I enjoyed very much.  I also received a lot of packages in the mail:  mostly CDs of my work to sit on the "promotion" shelf to hand out, but I did receive Judy Kaye's "Where or When" album, which I will play today in the office, and an excerpts from THE MERRY WIDOW with one of my favorite sopranos, June Bronhill.  

My Kritzerland Schwartz/Strouse/Schwartz/ - sounds like a lawfirm - arrived on Thursday and I listened on Friday; there's one track I detested because the woman shrieks her high notes abominably and should never be encouraged, but the rest is a lot of fun.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 05:51:29 AM »

I wonder which track DR ELMORE is talking about?  :)

I love the double-disk set of S/S/S - it must be ordered immediately for all the charms already mentioned + New Sun in the Sky/Tomorrow/Day by Day by Clinton Derricks-Carroll, Barbara Deutsch, and Jennifer Leigh Warren AND Tomorrow/The Middle Age Blues by Miss Carole Cook!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 05:52:10 AM »

And I will say again - My 3-disc CD of GOODBYE MR CHIPS, the movie has arrived!!

FJL

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 06:02:42 AM »

Elmore -  Re your observation about the Schwartz law firm :) , a vintage joke from the Henny Youngman joke book:

A man calls a lawyer's office. The phone is answered "Schwartz, Schwartz, Schwartz and Schwartz."

The man says, "Let me talk to Mr. Schwartz."

"I'm sorry, he's on vacation."

"Then let me talk to Mr. Schwartz."

"He's on a big case, not available for a week."

"Then let me talk to Mr. Schwartz."

"He's playing golf today."

"Okay, then, let me talk to Mr. Schwartz."

"Speaking."
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 06:04:36 AM by FJL »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 06:56:16 AM »

LOL DR FJL.....of course RR as Mame Dennis in her short tenure on the switchboard at a law firm is also a classic!

Ginny

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 06:57:51 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!  It was very late last night when we got home from Fiddler.  The show was quite long, mostly because the scene changes took forever.  Lauren had fun playing Fruma Sarah and was proud to have about 10 relatives in the audience.

Today, I will have some time to putter at home before DH Richard and I go to the Schuster Center in Dayton to see the touring Movin' Out.

Congratulations to BK and company on closing Deceit on a high note.  Wish I could have seen it one of these last 2 weekends.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 06:58:31 AM »

Hi, DR JRand - how do you like DST so far?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 07:17:22 AM »

Hi, DR JRand - how do you like DST so far?

I hate it.

When we didn't change all the cable programs came on one hour earlier!  :P

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 07:17:41 AM »

I love Fruma Sarah....mazel tov mazel tov....

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 07:23:41 AM »

Good morning!

Beautiful morning here, and this is going to be the last of our really warm days for awhile. Temps start to sink back to more early spring like temperatures for the rest of the week. Ah, well, it was nice to wear shorts for a couple of days anyway!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 07:24:36 AM »

Yes, indeed. Congratulations on a great final performance of DECEIT. It always makes you feel good to have a wonderful last show.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 07:26:09 AM »

Like others, I have nothing special planned today but to kick back and watch DVDs. There are some new TV episodes on tonight (COLD CASE, DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES), but there are reruns, too, and I'll fill in those blanks with DVDs, most likely ANGEL episodes which I began last night but only got twenty minutes into the next episode in the set (disc 3).

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 07:26:54 AM »

And I am definitely watching FOOTLIGHT PARADE today and most likely FALLEN ANGEL, too, if I can fit it in.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 07:35:43 AM »

I have decided that today - for the first time since 1998, I will live without the internet.

I am going to *gasp* turn off my computer until Monday morning.  It is very difficult.  But I am going to try a day without the WWW.

Whew!  I hope I make it....

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2006, 07:40:49 AM »

My Kritzerland Schwartz/Strouse/Schwartz/ - sounds like a lawfirm - arrived on Thursday and I listened on Friday; there's one track I detested because the woman shrieks her high notes abominably and should never be encouraged, but the rest is a lot of fun.

I know the track you speak of DR Elmore! I've been listening to the album in the car and hit that track yesterday. Just when I thought it couldn't get more "intense" - it did.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2006, 08:10:25 AM »

Good morning all.  Sorry for having been so E&T- it has been a hectic week and I fear the next four will be no different.

Rodzinski is now accompanying his nephew to the airport and so I shall soon embark on the chores I need to get done.  I must work out, hit the grocery store (hard!), chip away at each of my final papers, and perhaps make a Target run.  I have to make a return and I think our bathroom could use new rugs.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2006, 08:11:37 AM »

Is anyone else planning on watching the first episode of So Notorious tonight?  The buzz for this show is great.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2006, 08:11:54 AM »

Okay, enought chit chat, I must begin my chores.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2006, 08:12:48 AM »

I had some things I need to tend to as well, so I'm off.

WBBL.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2006, 08:18:37 AM »

Good morning, fellow Dear Readers.

For the record, the obnoxious drunk woman in the audience was NOT me.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2006, 08:19:11 AM »

The motel room phone rang at 6 am, so I'm up! I ditched the son and am having coffee.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ginny

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2006, 08:59:19 AM »

Other Fiddler tidbits - the actor playing Motel the Tailor performed on crutches because of a wrestling injury.  In the wedding scene he broke the glass with one of his crutches.  Even with that challenge he seemed to have the most "ownership" of his role.

The actors who played Tevye and Lazar Wolf were brothers.  

And the young lady who played Hodel had a fantastic singing voice.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2006, 10:10:15 AM »

Glad you enjoyed FIDDLER, Gin! Whatta show! Lotsa great characters.

Speaking of characters!! Hoooboy! if yuz coulda been there last night! I was at the very first preview, months ago... and second to last, night before last; and the final performance. And I tell ya, even knowing the show, the final performance was a real thrill.

As Bruce has said, all the lines worked, the wit was there for everyone to appreciate, all the twists worked, audible gasps from the audience. I was so proud to be there. I had brought my sister Rikki and my high school chum Felice - they were enthralled with the play - never guessed the plot twists that were coming. Felice gasped out loud at the murder scene and averted her eyes.

Afterward, they praised Tammy and both said they were going to try to tune in on Days of Our Lives to see more of Matt's work. But - as both of them knew BK more than 4 decades ago - he, his writing, his directio and his performance were the great pleasures of the evening.

And someone - nobody said who - catered a gawjus after-party. We ain't talkin' costco platters, folks. It was braised fennel and baby carrots and cilantro and tiny baby green beans; and exotic flat breads and gourmet crackers; and gorgonzola and whole wheels of brie and chunks of hard Italian cheeses on platters decorated with dried cherries and cranberries and pear halves. It was raisins dried on the vine, and crostini topped with actual violets. And wines. And edible art in the form of eight types of cupcakes. And there was nobody to take credit for having put this sumptuous buffet together!

Tammy's video was a tad on the LOUD side, but so cleverr. And the credits poked loving fun at Bruce: all the credits were Tammy Minoff. Except for one, which read: by Tammy Minoff's brother.

Well, it was a heck of a fun night.

And it's a lovely sunny day here, and an hour later than I expected. I think I'm finally moving into the alleged loft today... more later!
PennyO

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2006, 10:18:52 AM »

Hi, Penny - ooo, a loft!  Can we see pictures?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2006, 10:42:39 AM »

Good Morning! Good Afternoon!

Ahh...  A day off.  :)

And, now, time to do some catching up...  Although, with the sun shining outside...  Hmm...

;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2006, 10:58:56 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  What a lovely sleep I had, and now it's almost eleven even though it's really almost ten.  And we're still on page one?  Come now, after a record March, let us not slip into an abyss of a black hole.  

I find several vocals on the SSS album not to my liking, and, if I recall correctly, my least favorites are all sopranos.  The director of these benefits has his favorites and he uses them in every show and I don't know why, except that he seems to be very loyal to them and yet he doesn't use others he's known just as long who are better.  Go know.  The highlight of the album is Andrea Martin's No Time At All and the CD is worth a purchase for that track alone.  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up