Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HOSTESS WITH THE MOSTESS ON THE MATZO BALL  (Read 17555 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE HOSTESS WITH THE MOSTESS ON THE MATZO BALL
« Reply #210 on: April 12, 2006, 07:41:43 PM »

Yes, Passover blessings from this goy to all of my Jewish friends on HHW!

I'm baaaaack!  If any of you DRs are making another October trek to Manhattan, I suggest you order tickets for THE DROWSY CHAPERONE, which I adored, admired, and wished I'd been involved with.  It's one of the smartest and silliest pieces I've ever seen.  I'm going to buy another ticket and see it again.  Soon.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #211 on: April 12, 2006, 07:44:45 PM »

I'm up from a little nap....the mattress warmer was extra-kind since my feet have been cold all day.

I caught "Altered States" on the crappy AMC channel today (AMC used to be such a terrific channel -- it's totally in the crapper now, though).

It was pan/scan, as is the norm for them these days, but it was the first look I'd had at the film since the mid-80s.

It works rather well, still....Hurt and Brown are terrific.

What I remembered about Charles Haid's character was that he was a shouting bastard who tried to suppress the truth about Hurt's findings because he didn't want the truth to be known.

The truth is, he was a shouting bastard who continued to support Hurt's findings even when he didn't want to believe those findings... to the extent that he was always there when Hurt needed him.

I'm thinking now that Haid was given his head and was allowed to chew the scenery for all he was worth.  It's most distracting, although when he and Bob Balaban are going at each other, it now seems funny...and not a little endearing.

John Corigliano's score is more amazing than I remembered.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 07:47:31 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #212 on: April 12, 2006, 07:47:51 PM »

Penny - add my "Congrats" to the list!  When will you be performing in Seattle?

A week from tomorrow is when I'm doing the Grantseeking for Individuals in the Arts workshop - yikes, I'm on a steep learning curve.  Back to the PowerPoint!

Readings are on Sunday, May 14 and Monday May 16. Sunday matinee, Mon. eve - whatever those actual dates are... might be 13 and 14?

You'll do fine in the Grantseeking workshop - those folks are just floundering. ANY info that you give them is a great success!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #213 on: April 12, 2006, 07:52:02 PM »

Cilla! wow, another kitty with a mouth issue! Poor little thing. How is Nilla doing after such a hard weekend?

Elmo! I love even the name of the Drowsy Chaperone. I pretend I've been involved with a project called The Blithering Uncle.

Hi, Maria!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #214 on: April 12, 2006, 07:52:41 PM »

Gonna go read a book... back later, to say goodnight.
PennyO

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #215 on: April 12, 2006, 08:18:42 PM »

Oh dear, oh dear, Rodzinski is back. Hoping to avoid the sharpening blades of the new-and-improved Bitchslapping Machine 3000.

Well, where have I been, you might rightly ask? And the answer is more who has been here than where I have been. I've had COMPANY. And they ran me ragged, then work got hot, etc. And the thing I find is I hate to dive into this HHW until I'm caught up, and every day you miss, by gum, you miss a lot, so I just want to give vibes to all my friends here and hope that everyone is making it through. I've definitely missed the gang here.

Bitchslap me softly!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 08:19:11 PM by Rodzinski »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #216 on: April 12, 2006, 08:19:49 PM »

Originally, I wrote,"Bitch slap me softly," but it didn't look quite right.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #217 on: April 12, 2006, 08:21:15 PM »

Originally, I wrote,"Bitch slap me softly," but it didn't look quite right.

::: twap :::

Nice to see you back on board Rodz... Life does have a way throwing curves in well-laid plans.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #218 on: April 12, 2006, 08:25:55 PM »

Now here's a funny story HHWers may appreciate. Another thing that has kept me busy is I am directing a 10-minute play that a friend of mine wrote for a night of plays around the theme of Hamlet.

So I needed three women, and the writer had one girl in mind, then we cast a mutual friend, and we needed one more, so we went with a recommendation from another member of the theatre group. Well, I met the girl, and she seemed nice enough, and she spoke of having worked at MTI, so I say, "Hey, you might know my friend Jason." And she did know him.

Yesterday, I speak to Jason and ask him about her, and it turns out who is this girl, but the CARROT-EATING GIRL we used to read about right here at HHW!!!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #219 on: April 12, 2006, 08:27:16 PM »

Thanks Dakotacelt, my Dakotan friend. Sorry the Sioux didn't win the Frozen Four. :(

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #220 on: April 12, 2006, 08:28:37 PM »

Aha!

Here is DR MARIA's photo of DR JOSE, her nibs, DR ELMORE & Little Andy.  ;D

Well,  I see that elmore has moved right in on Little Andy.  I guess Jose will have to start preparing his home for a possible visitor from Oregon this fall!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #221 on: April 12, 2006, 08:28:59 PM »

A mixed bag of blessings, congratulations, sympathetic and healing vibes and general well wishes to those with two legs and four.
(I don't think the HHW family has any three and one legged members but just in case - blessing to them as well).
And welcome back Rodzinski!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #222 on: April 12, 2006, 08:29:28 PM »

And what arrived for me in today's mail??? Out of nowhere a fine set of answer songs and sequel songs from Mr. Tomovoz, my musical benefactor!

Thank you once again, kind sir. I had only just been listening to "I Shot Mr. Lee" the Bobettes strange sequel to "Mr. Lee," and sequel songs had been on my mind. Impeccable timing.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #223 on: April 12, 2006, 08:32:19 PM »

Kentucky spring fever has hit the critters, Tewkes and Mosby.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #224 on: April 12, 2006, 08:32:20 PM »

DR RODZINSKI is in the house....and on such a day...why is tonight different from any other night?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #225 on: April 12, 2006, 08:33:04 PM »

What a charming photo, DR CP!

And yes, DRJANE, more Blue photos will be forthcoming after the work weekend ends.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #226 on: April 12, 2006, 08:37:20 PM »

Pogue, did you make it to a Reds game yet? They had success vs my Pirates, but the battlin' Bucs will be back!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #227 on: April 12, 2006, 08:37:45 PM »

Now here's a funny story HHWers may appreciate. Another thing that has kept me busy is I am directing a 10-minute play that a friend of mine wrote for a night of plays around the theme of Hamlet.

So I needed three women, and the writer had one girl in mind, then we cast a mutual friend, and we needed one more, so we went with a recommendation from another member of the theatre group. Well, I met the girl, and she seemed nice enough, and she spoke of having worked at MTI, so I say, "Hey, you might know my friend Jason." And she did know him.

Yesterday, I speak to Jason and ask him about her, and it turns out who is this girl, but the CARROT-EATING GIRL we used to read about right here at HHW!!!

hee hee hee
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #228 on: April 12, 2006, 08:37:55 PM »

DR RODZINSKI is in the house....and on such a day...why is tonight different from any other night?

Something in the stars?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #229 on: April 12, 2006, 08:38:55 PM »

Thanks Dakotacelt, my Dakotan friend. Sorry the Sioux didn't win the Frozen Four. :(

Nice to see ya back... Yes i was disappointed that the Sioux did not win, they were not even expected to get as far as they did for this is a rebuilding year... THere is always next year!

Tomovoz

« Reply #230 on: April 12, 2006, 08:40:26 PM »

Such is the sequence of events DR Rodzinski.
I have many many more!!!
Those were the lesser=known or harder to find ones.
Bear Family brought out 3 wonderful discs - mostly of Country songs though.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #231 on: April 12, 2006, 08:40:29 PM »

Kentucky spring fever has hit the critters, Tewkes and Mosby.

They look so incredibly relaxed. Is Mosby the dog? Is he a mini-Schnauzer?

Tomovoz

« Reply #232 on: April 12, 2006, 08:41:24 PM »

DR JRand will no doubt be familiar with "Tall Paul" and "Short Mort".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #233 on: April 12, 2006, 08:44:39 PM »

Trivia!
People remember "Daddy's Home" but not that it is a sequel!
"Second Hand Rose" and "Rose Of Washington Square" are related!
In the land of OZ, Damita Jo's "I'll be there"  was a top 40 hit. Ben E King's "Stand by Me" did not chart!

James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #234 on: April 12, 2006, 08:46:32 PM »

Intro lyrics link the following songs by the Drifters:
Up On The Roof
Under The Boardwalk
Sand in My Shoes
James Thurber 1957

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #235 on: April 12, 2006, 08:52:25 PM »

As fate would further have it, I bought a 5-LP (for $5) set from the Salvation Army shop last week. It was a set Roulette put out in 1964 of hits (and non-hits) from the late 50s to 1964. 10 songs on every LP side, so lots I hadn't heard.

One is called "Walking With Mr. Lee," but I don't know if that has anything to do with the Bobette's Mr. Lee.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #236 on: April 12, 2006, 08:55:03 PM »

Some of the sequel songs are so lame they're hilarious.

Like the Esquires have the song "Get On Up."

Their folllow-up is called "And Get Away" and it's basically the same song as "Get On Up" except they add the lyric "And Get Away"!

Tomovoz

« Reply #237 on: April 12, 2006, 08:55:59 PM »

I think "Walking with Mr Lee" is an instrumental.  I know I have it somewhere.
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #238 on: April 12, 2006, 08:57:12 PM »

Had a lovely evening of TV. First up was  a MURDER SHE WROTE rerun. This one featured Vera Miles, Martin Milner, and John Beck, among others as suspects and victim. Always enjoyable.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #239 on: April 12, 2006, 08:59:40 PM »

Question: Anyone remember a movie called Starman?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up