Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HOSTESS WITH THE MOSTESS ON THE MATZO BALL  (Read 17830 times)

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
Re:THE HOSTESS WITH THE MOSTESS ON THE MATZO BALL
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2006, 12:14:07 PM »

Elmo!! I'm so happy to get the news about your dad!! Breathe, boy! Breathe!

Blue Moon puppy hoorays for finding such a good home. Kismet...

And a Happy Passover, Yids!
PennyO

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2006, 12:14:49 PM »

The O'Toole/Chips ad was one I bid on, and won, on EBay.  Sadly, what I got wasn't this ad at all but another one, which I returned and got a refund on.

I don't know what all the reviews say, but they're all raves for O'Toole's performance as Mr. Chips and it was an ad submitted to the trades "For consideration..." at Oscar nominating time.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2006, 12:16:06 PM »

Glad to see the HHW NY Branch photo finally make its appearance! I'll try another one just for fun. This is DR Maria at the American Girl Store in NY where Felicity is playing non-stop. How could I resist?

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2006, 12:18:46 PM »

OOOOHHH! I got the Page four dance!!!

Yesterday I was offered the part of Mama in "...in the absence of spring..." in a very prestigious reading series up in Seattle - the dates just work out so perfectly, it was a meant-to-be kinda thing. Between the time I get back to the Seattle area and the time I leave again two weeks later for my nephew's wedding down here! Love them readings! Two (occasionally 3) rehearsals and two performances, and DONE - under a week. It's a good play, by a real up-and-comer in NY - the guy who did the Boarding School version of Romeo and Juliet off-B'way that ran for more than a year. This play is about 7 people who lost loved ones in the Lockerbie crash... their difficulties after 7 years with coming to closure. Mama is such a great character!!!! Best of all, they just ASKED me to do it, didn't even have to audition!!! Ah, like the old days...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2006, 12:19:24 PM »

Maria! At last!!! SUCCESS!!!!!
PennyO

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2006, 12:21:29 PM »

Penny - Congrats on the role. And so great just to be asked!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2006, 12:25:22 PM »

Dan (the man), my favourite novelization of a movie or play is my own for my film DRAGONHEART.  It is actually more a novel than a novelization because I tried to write a real book and not one of those 150 page we-put-the-screenplay-in-past-tense jobs.  It also is in many ways vastly different than the film, because I was able to take out crap that had gotten put in that I didn't want and restored things that had gotten taken out. I worked from seven different drafts of the script.  I also just came up with lots of scenes and inspirations that weren't in any version of the screenplay.  

The great luxury of writing the novel was that I realized I didn't have to stop a scene after three or four pages and that I could go on.  I could also just luxuriate in the language and prose.  It was fun to crawl inside various characters' head and do a chapter or scene from their point-of-view, oft times a rather minor character.  I got to see the galleys and correct any stylistic touch of mine that might have gotten changed.  It was the greatest writing experience of my life.  The book is the definitive version of Dragonheart.  It did very well in the market, going into five printings and making me a considerable chunk of change.  It probably would have done even better had the movie done better at the box-office.

I loved Dragonheart. It is one of my favorite movies.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2006, 12:27:51 PM »

DakotaCelt does Enger speak as beautifully as he writes?

I read about the making of the movie, Billy Bob Thornton to star & one of the producers is Brad Pitt-interesting.  Note there isn’t any mention filming has begun.

Yes, he does... He is also quite a bit of wit. Very intelligent man.  I enjoy chatting with him.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2006, 12:28:21 PM »

One guess per customer please.  :D

Then it has to be my second guess and I won't go there. :)

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2006, 12:28:34 PM »

JR - Wonderful that you took Bluemoon. How people can just let an animal loose because they don't want it anymore is beyond me.

I'm off to mail a few things, return some library books and then back to writing.
Happy Passover to all who celebrate!

Ginny

« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2006, 12:29:20 PM »

DR Jane - Peace Like a River was one of the books in the running for this year's Big Read (To Kill a Mockingbird was selected).  Maybe I'll read PLaR and we can talk about it in October!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2006, 12:29:59 PM »

Okay...it wasn't Mel Brooks, either.

That's right.  

The answer...Julie Andrews.

I thought it was Audrey Hepburn (who knew she had a Grammy????)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2006, 12:31:11 PM »

Jane, the movie DRAGONHEART may have done better if people hadn't confused it with BRAVEHEART too.  But I suspect it would have done better if we had just had had a director who had an ounce of poetry in his soul and actually knew how to direct.

I did not see the connection. I kept thinking Dragonriders of Pern with Dragonheart being a forerunner to it.  

You did a great job with the story!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2006, 12:33:31 PM »

CP that startled me, never found them confusing.  The key word Dragon made it easy, especially with Sean Connery as the dragon (I liked him).    

So did I Jane!!  I really enjoyed the movie.. They, who got confused, evidently dont get out much...

Jane

« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2006, 12:37:04 PM »

Thanks Dakota.  Can you find out what happened to the new book he was working on?

Ginny we don’t have to wait until October, you can email me.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2006, 12:38:35 PM »

JRand have you thought about taking up jogging? :)

Moon is very lucky to have found a new caring home.  I have very strong negative feelings about people like her previous family.

I agree.

What bugs me is college students who live in the apartments near campus and they get kittens and puppies during the year when they are living there and when they move at the end of the school year, they often abandon them.

It disgusts me.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2006, 12:41:26 PM »

I'm home...under the weather, as it were (headache, sore throat, chills)...but I'm slept out.

Turned on the TV and Meredith Vieira is doing "Who Wants to be A Millionaire" and the question for $250,000 was:

Who, among the following, is not among a select few who have a Tony, an Emmy, a Grammy and an Oscar?

a. Audrey Hepburn
b. Mel Brooks
c. Marvin Hamlisch
d. Julie Andrews

Have fun with it...and I'll post the answer "anon"...

Julie Andrews

Jane

« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2006, 12:42:16 PM »

Penny congratulations on the new gig.  Will you commute from your house or stay in Seattle?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2006, 12:44:33 PM »

As I work at the computer, I'm listening to PASSIONS, the world's most moronic soap, an insult to Catholic doctrine, continuity, logic, timelines and screenwriting.  I haven't caught it for a while, and today "Sister Whitney" - I thought nuns' names were changed to a religious one! - is visiting with God or a fraud who's materilaized in the chapel.  She has to do penance for her incestuous pregnancy.  I'm not making this up.  God is played by an actor with the fruitiest reverberating, godawful voice, and I guess they're heading into a DaVinci Code ripoff.  This show was funny four years ago when closet doors were gateways to hell and houses sank into the ground.  Now it's pathetic.

You are brave...

Days is Just as bad... I on holding on until Matt and Missy are done this summer, then I am totally done with the craptastic festival on nbc daytime...

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2006, 12:44:43 PM »

You already said your guess was the same as Jane's.

One guess per customer please.  :D

And no, it wasn't Audrey.   :-*

I misunderstood, I thought you were telling me was wrong!

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2006, 12:47:49 PM »

Congrats Penny!!

Lovely pictures of the HHW gathering in NYC

Jane

« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2006, 12:48:23 PM »

Dakota I have heard that about college students and find it shocking.  I suppose their parents won't let them take their pets home, but then they must have know so before they got the pets.

Jane

« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2006, 01:01:47 PM »

Bruce I attempted to post a photo of the mountains behind Penny’s cabin.  I think it was too large.  I’ll try something smaller.

vixmom

« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2006, 01:02:18 PM »

Congrats to DR Penny!!! Wish I could be there to see you perform!

vixmom

« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2006, 01:02:53 PM »

~~~~Continued Health Vibes~~~~

for Elmore's dad

vixmom

« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2006, 01:03:35 PM »

Bruce I attempted to post a photo of the mountains behind Penny’s cabin.  I think it was too large.  I’ll try something smaller.

Well of course it was too large... mountains are BIG!! Try a picture of a molehill instead! ;D ;D :-*
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 01:04:01 PM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2006, 01:05:04 PM »

Okay...it wasn't Mel Brooks, either.

That's right.  

The answer...Julie Andrews.

I thought it was Audrey Hepburn (who knew she had a Grammy????)

I was just gonna say that!!!!

okay..... no I wasn't........

Jane

« Reply #117 on: April 12, 2006, 01:13:58 PM »

This is a test to see if I can post.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #118 on: April 12, 2006, 01:15:07 PM »

I was pretty sure it was Julie for I know she has won at least two of them and I took a wild guess on the third one.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2006, 01:15:32 PM »

Jane I sent you a message....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up