Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IT'S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR  (Read 27850 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:IT'S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR
« Reply #150 on: December 01, 2006, 06:08:59 PM »

And I'm posting this, too, to get us closer to page 6.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 06:11:59 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #151 on: December 01, 2006, 06:10:12 PM »

Well TA-Felodipus-DA!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]PAGE 6[/move]

I'm making up words now, too.  "Felodipus"...possibly the name of a character in my new Greek tragedy:  "Felodipus the Honey Dipper and his Adventures on the Island of Mykonos."
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 06:12:52 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Cillaliz

« Reply #152 on: December 01, 2006, 06:12:05 PM »

I'm beginning to like this mid-forties peri-menopausal angst.  Tonight I went to Outback for a steak.  I was seated before 4 yes I said FOUR tables around me. There is no way they were in another section unless my little table was a section of one.  Anyway, 3 different waiters came out, waited on the guy who got there before me, then the four tables that were seated after me and even though each one of the waiters looked at me sitting there, obviously not being waited on, not one of them even said "I'll be with you in a moment" nothing. Just waited on the other tables, turned around and went to the kitchen or wherever they go.  It irritated me so much that I left. On my way out I told the hostess why I was leaving. She just gave me a surprised look and didn't say anything.  I will not be going back to Outback...ever.

To calm my angst, I decided on a little retail therapy. So I  went to Scheels and bought some really nice Columbia boots for the winter,  went to Petco (yes we're stocked up now) and stopped by the grocery where I got a wonderful t-bone steak that I came home and cooked to perfection and ate  with a wonderful baked potato and a big glass of milk.  

I am now much happier and very glad I walked out of the restaurant.    

Cillaliz

« Reply #153 on: December 01, 2006, 06:14:08 PM »

I have my share of sensitivities to allergens.

Lately, though, I've been craving a puppy.

As opposed to a dog on a bun...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #154 on: December 01, 2006, 06:15:00 PM »

I'm beginning to like this mid-forties peri-menopausal angst.   It irritated me so much that I left. On my way out I told the hostess why I was leaving. She just gave me a surprised look and didn't say anything.  I will not be going back to Outback...ever.

I'd love to be there when you've been waiting in a line, your turn arrives and the clerk suddenly answers a phone and starts helping the person who's just called!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 06:22:26 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #155 on: December 01, 2006, 06:15:53 PM »

As opposed to a dog on a bun...

Cute.

A dachshund, perhaps.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #156 on: December 01, 2006, 06:19:49 PM »

I'm beginning to like this mid-forties peri-menopausal angst.  Tonight I went to Outback for a steak.  I was seated before 4 yes I said FOUR tables around me. There is no way they were in another section unless my little table was a section of one.  Anyway, 3 different waiters came out, waited on the guy who got there before me, then the four tables that were seated after me and even though each one of the waiters looked at me sitting there, obviously not being waited on, not one of them even said "I'll be with you in a moment" nothing. Just waited on the other tables, turned around and went to the kitchen or wherever they go.  It irritated me so much that I left. On my way out I told the hostess why I was leaving. She just gave me a surprised look and didn't say anything.  I will not be going back to Outback...ever.

Cillaliz was seated early and got no waiter.

The table in front of her got a waiter.

The table behind her got a waiter.

The table to the right of her got a waiter.

The table to the left of her got a waiter.

Cillaliz's waiter did not show up.

Cillaliz did not get a waiter or a steak or a baked potato.

Cillaliz did not even get an apology.

WHERE IS THE JUSTICE?

« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 06:20:37 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #157 on: December 01, 2006, 06:21:28 PM »

To calm my angst, I decided on a little retail therapy. So I  went to Scheels and bought some really nice Columbia boots for the winter,  went to Petco (yes we're stocked up now) and stopped by the grocery where I got a wonderful t-bone steak that I came home and cooked to perfection and ate  with a wonderful baked potato and a big glass of milk.  

Ah-HAH!  There it is.

Cillaliz got her OWN justice!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #158 on: December 01, 2006, 06:23:52 PM »

I'm running out of steam very fast.

I'm going to have to indulge in some sustenance in another minute or two.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #159 on: December 01, 2006, 06:24:40 PM »

Is this what it's like every night at this time?

Do people just disappear into their lives and leave a paltry few alone to defend themselves, amuse themselves, etc.?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #160 on: December 01, 2006, 06:26:06 PM »

I've got some pork loin and some collards to warm up for din-din.

I have some Pepperidge Farm "Brussels" cookies and some Haagen-Dasz "Coffee" ice cream, too.

Cillaliz

« Reply #161 on: December 01, 2006, 06:26:35 PM »

I'd love to be there when you've been waiting in a line, your turn arrives and the clerk suddenly answers a phone and starts helping the person who's just called!

Ah, but there was no line, there was no mad rush, there was no reason to treat me differently because I was a female at a table by myself.  Most restaurants are very good about that, but when they are bad, they are very bad

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #162 on: December 01, 2006, 06:27:15 PM »

Where oh where is TomovOz and why did his PC crash?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #163 on: December 01, 2006, 06:27:39 PM »

Where oh where is George?  I hope "The Mold People" didn't get him.

Cillaliz

« Reply #164 on: December 01, 2006, 06:27:51 PM »

Ah-HAH!  There it is.

Cillaliz got her OWN justice!

You got that one right....I still got my steak, they didn't get my money or a tip and I got some retail therapy. Not such a bad night after all  ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #165 on: December 01, 2006, 06:29:31 PM »

DR Cillaliz:  I'm glad you got your T-bone and baked potato.  I'm certain it was a lot tastier than Outback could do it.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #166 on: December 01, 2006, 06:30:42 PM »

I could sign off now.  Oh, yes!  I COULD sign off now.

But I won't.

Nossir.

Not yet.

My food's not warm enough.

Cillaliz

« Reply #167 on: December 01, 2006, 06:33:54 PM »

I'm watching Ice Wars and enjoying it a lot.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #168 on: December 01, 2006, 06:34:50 PM »

For a week where I was originally scheduled for just 18 hours, I'll be finishing up tallying 39.

Such is life.

Call me "Mr. Available."
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #169 on: December 01, 2006, 06:35:42 PM »

I've got some pork loin and some collards to warm up for din-din.

I have some Pepperidge Farm "Brussels" cookies and some Haagen-Dasz "Coffee" ice cream, too.
Do you put starch on your collards?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #170 on: December 01, 2006, 06:36:24 PM »

Der B and I will be feasting on pot roast, with carrots, cabbage, and taters.

François

« Reply #171 on: December 01, 2006, 06:38:03 PM »

Ah, but there was no line, there was no mad rush, there was no reason to treat me differently because I was a female at a table by myself.  Most restaurants are very good about that, but when they are bad, they are very bad

I guess waiters do work for the tip in that dreadful place; they go for the number of guests!

You did the right thing; leave!

That's what I force myself to do when i'm not happy with a service: I don't make a fuss. I just let them know I'm not happy and leave!
I even did that after buying shoes: I cancelled the sale! I wasn't happy with them in the first place and the attitude of the clerk, and... it works!

François

« Reply #172 on: December 01, 2006, 06:39:33 PM »

Me, I put (onion) rings around them! ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #173 on: December 01, 2006, 06:40:27 PM »

Dr Elmore Did I say sorry for you bass problems?  Maybe you need a little peri-menopausal angst....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #174 on: December 01, 2006, 06:40:29 PM »

Shall I talk about an item I received today after winning it in an eBay auction?

Most of you have probably never heard of Ernest Gold, but he was a fantastic composer and wrote some wonderful film scores, the best-known of which is "Exodus."  He won the 1960 Academy Award for that score.

One of my favorite Gold scores is "Ship of Fools" which features a love them I consider one of the finest ever written (this music accompanied scenes between Oskar Werner and Simone Signoret).

What I won was a rectangle of paper the size of a large index card.  It is inscribed to a guy; underneath it's signed:  

Sincerely,

Ernest Gold

And then Gold drew a stave and penned the first five bars of the Theme from "Exodus."

It was barely bid on, and I got it at a ridiculously low price.  I placed a maximum bid of $120 (worried I'd probably lose it) and got it for $18 and change including shipping/handling.

I'm thrilled to have this.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 06:43:07 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #175 on: December 01, 2006, 06:41:17 PM »

Nah, I just steam 'em and hope they'll last.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #176 on: December 01, 2006, 06:41:23 PM »

Sounds like a miscommunication gaffe on the part of said hostess, who should have informed whoever was supposed to serve you that you were a table of one.  It sounds as if they presumed that you were waiting for someone, and weren't going to approach your table until the other party arrived.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #177 on: December 01, 2006, 06:44:06 PM »

That makes sense.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #178 on: December 01, 2006, 06:45:44 PM »

Dr Elmore Did I say sorry for you bass problems?  Maybe you need a little peri-menopausal angst....

I have a feeling that, when he's ticked off,  he has the peri-menopausal angst gambit down cold

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #179 on: December 01, 2006, 06:46:21 PM »

TOD -

CD player - Bette Midler's Cool Yule.  It's good, not great.

DVD player -

Finished the Doctor Who Key to Time season.  I'll be starting the William Hartnell Doctor set "Beginnings" soon, with the first thirteen episodes/three stories.

And der Brucer is working his way through the bonus disc for Superman Returns, and may be developing a crush on Brian Singer, the director.  At least the bonus stuff isn't the "talking head with too many shots from the film" bull that our esteemed BK correctly loathes.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up