Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: RESTLESS IN THE CITY OF STUDIO  (Read 24683 times)

Tomovoz

Re:RESTLESS IN THE CITY OF STUDIO
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2006, 03:12:23 PM »

Horrific.  Bambi with fungi.  If Dakota seved that to me I'd thumper.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2006, 03:13:15 PM »

Other things that I liked are my mother's pasta salad

My grandmother's Chocolate Velvet cake
Snickerdoodles
Molasses cookies
her homemade Chicken soup
Strawberry jam
pickled watermelon!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Tomovoz

« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2006, 03:13:37 PM »

I was tempted to say Thumper was a fun guy but I think we've been there.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2006, 03:14:17 PM »

I dont serve it to people for I know many do not like it. :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 03:18:24 PM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2006, 03:14:57 PM »

I also like bison meat... Slow cook it.... It is delicious when prepared properly

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2006, 03:15:53 PM »

I also like lamb... Especially the way my grandmother made it.

Tomovoz

« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2006, 03:20:28 PM »

I thought you washed your hands in a bison. Maybe that's a New Zealand joke. Something to do with how dear Bufflalo is in Rome. Where is DR FJL? Maybe it's the price of Cantaloupe.

Sorry.. Too much François influence.
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2006, 03:30:00 PM »

American Bison... Great meat and it is very lean.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2006, 03:42:40 PM »

DR Jane.   Shepherd's Pie - with Lamb!  What else. (A vegetarian can be excused.
 Using Beef = "Cottage Pie"

So there really is a difference between Sheperd's Pie & Cottage Pie?  
I thought they were the same & lamb was the proper way to make them, until I tasted other versions made with beef-yuck.  

Goodness, how could I have forgotten to mention another one of my English mother’s dishes, prime rib & Yorkshire pudding!  

Jane

« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2006, 03:45:52 PM »

I am sure everyone has heard the slogan:

What happens in Vegas,
Stays in Vegas.

My new invalid condition has forced me to adopt a similar mantra:

What falls on the floor,
Stays on the floor.

LOL-great mantra, keep it up.

I'm so glad you are back & on the road to recovery.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2006, 03:50:06 PM »

What is yorkshire pudding? I have never had it

FJL

« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2006, 03:51:49 PM »

Tomovoz - I can't speak for Francois, but some of my favorites include

I DOE, I DOE
FAWNY GIRL
DEER WORLD
ANTLER MAIM (that's the musical version of BAMBI)

And of course there's the great song "Bison Girls Like You and Me"

Are you sorry you asked?  :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2006, 03:53:21 PM »

Could someone please e-mail TPunk and make sure she's all right?  I think she was upset about the discussion the other day, even though I felt it was all reasoned from both points of view.  

Ginny

« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2006, 04:04:21 PM »

Could someone please e-mail TPunk and make sure she's all right?  I think she was upset about the discussion the other day, even though I felt it was all reasoned from both points of view.  

I already have, BK, but have not heard back.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2006, 04:38:23 PM »

I am sure everyone has heard the slogan:

What happens in Vegas,
Stays in Vegas.

My new invalid condition has forced me to adopt a similar mantra:

What falls on the floor,
Stays on the floor.

You need a friend who owns a dog to come over.  More fun than a vacuum cleaner, I guarantee.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2006, 04:50:41 PM »

What is yorkshire pudding? I have never had it
Yorkshire pudding is a mixture of flour, eggs, milk, and the drippings from a prime roast of beef, baked in a very hot oven.  OK, you can use other kinds of fat, but it needs to be smoking hot when you add the batter.  Some versions include herbs or cheese in the batter.  It's a traditional accompaniment to a good beef roast, and somewhat resembles a popover in texture.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #106 on: May 29, 2006, 04:56:30 PM »

Hi Gang!

TPunk is fine. Carried no ill effects of the debate whatsoever. She'll be posting again probably as soon as I get off the computer. We were out enjoying the day yesterday and today. A wicked storm just blew through town, but luckily we had ducked into a restaurant for dinner. Earlier, we did watch a Bollywood movie that MBarnum sent that had us in tears.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2006, 04:57:06 PM »

Welcome back TCB!!!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2006, 05:00:15 PM »

My mom makes a delicious roundsteak that I demand (or gently request) whenever I see her.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2006, 05:08:57 PM »

I got to see only the beginning of the Indy 500 yesterday. But that's what I live for anyway, as someone mentioned on here: "Back Home Again in Indiana."

In this day and age, I am so pleased they have stuck with Jim Nabors over the years. I can just imagine them saying, "Hey, kids don't know who Jim Nabors is anymore. We gotta get someone from American Idol." But this was the 29th year of Nabors. The only time I attended the race, we saw Jim being driven out of the stadium afterwards. He gave a little wave.

Ben

« Reply #110 on: May 29, 2006, 05:16:54 PM »

I have returned.

I had a WONDERFUL time in DC.

In bits and pieces I shall post of my wonderful time.

First of all, it's so good to see Mr. TCB back on his fingers  ;)

I look like I just woke up in those pictures taken at Dusk (Friday postings)! What's wrong with me???

Ben

« Reply #111 on: May 29, 2006, 05:17:44 PM »

Jack, Drowsy Chaperone has not been released yet. I think the street date is June 13th.

Ben

« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2006, 05:32:01 PM »

Mame was bit of a disappointment for me. My friends loved, loved, loved it and I certainly enjoyed it but there were small things that stuck out.

The show had the first performance on Thursday, May 25th and officially opened on Friday, May 26th. We saw the Sunday evening performance. Both Christine Baranksi and Harriet Harris seemed off. CB as Mame is doing A LOT of dancing. The show is choreographed within an inch of its life and she is doing a lot of the dancing. It is well choreographed and well danced but I don't know if CB is pacing herself yet. She seemed out of breath and rather nervous at times and though she got all her play laughs her singing high moments (not just notes) were not always there. Harriet Harris (who I love in Frasier and in Thoroughly Modern Millie) also seemed to be working through her character. She seemed unsure at times and seemed to be missing the core of Vera. She was screechy sometimes and it just didn't work.

On a positive note, the show had GREAT energy. The chorus was vibrant and full of piss and vinegar (to quote my father). Emily Skinner was very good as Gooch and Max von Essen did a great job as adult Patrick. The show is well directed and choreographed. It's full of color and great costumes. The set design is generic 20s/30s/40s. Nothing special and easily moved to another theatre.

As much as I love the score to Mame, seeing it again reminds me how much I love the play and the film Auntie Mame. Even though Lawrence and Lee wrote both the play Auntie Mame and the book for Mame they chopped up the story for the musical and made changes that I think weaken the show. I know you can't do, on stage, the whole Macy's scene where Roz Russell gets fired but changing it to a nail salon just doesn't work for me. I know the play and movie so well that the things chopped out just seem to leave big holes for me. Condensing the roles of Patrick's nanny who evenutally becomes Mame's maid along with Ito and Gooch, who, in the play, doesn't appear until halfway into the show into the one character of Gooch (Agnes Gooch delivers young Patrick to Auntie Mame at the top of the show for those who didn't know) has never worked for me. Oh, well. I don't want this to sound like a negative review because it's not. I enjoyed the show and I think by the time FJL sees it CB and HH will have settled into their performances. I would recommened it for many reasons. There is a large orchestra and when the baton goes down to begin the show and that sound rises out of the pit, it's wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! We left the show smiling and talking and sharing our wonderful evening.

So, FJL, that's my Mame report.

FJL

« Reply #113 on: May 29, 2006, 05:32:19 PM »

Did I miss it?  Was there a MAME report?

FJL

« Reply #114 on: May 29, 2006, 05:33:05 PM »

Oh, I typed too soon.

Ben

« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2006, 05:33:39 PM »

And now I will sign off. I must finish unpacking and get ready for work tomorrow. I had 4 glorious days off and now must return to the place of employ that allows for these days off.

Till tomorrow, adieu!

FJL

« Reply #116 on: May 29, 2006, 05:37:43 PM »

Michael Riedel reported the other day that if all goes well in D.C., MAME is poised to move to Broadway.

FJL

« Reply #117 on: May 29, 2006, 05:39:13 PM »

Thanks, Ben for that detailed report.  

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #118 on: May 29, 2006, 05:42:19 PM »

Hi folks, in the words of Mr. Sonheim, I'm still here.  Didn't mean to alarm anyone with my absence, as Rodzinski said, we were just making the most of our Memorial Day weekend.  Until the apocalypse rolled around and the skies rained down upon us, that is.

Jane

« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2006, 05:48:22 PM »

TPunk I wasn't worried, nice to see you both. :)

Ben, glad you had a good time in the beautiful city of DC
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up