Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: RESTLESS IN THE CITY OF STUDIO  (Read 24696 times)

FJL

Re:RESTLESS IN THE CITY OF STUDIO
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2006, 05:49:57 PM »

And one for Mamie!

FJL

« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2006, 05:51:38 PM »

Well, well, hello, TPunk
Well hello TPunk
It's so nice to have you back where you belong....

(Oops, wrong show!)

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2006, 05:52:31 PM »

On the TOD: my mom makes this potato dish which is basically just sliced potatoes in casserole dish with about a pound of butter and some spices.  So good!  Also I love her enchiladas with rice and beans which are a christmas eve tradition.  And as a child I appreciated her creative birthday cakes which one year consisted of Little Orphan Annie's head, complete with curly red frosting hair.

Tomovoz

« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2006, 05:58:01 PM »

Well, well, hello, TPunk
Well hello TPunk
It's so nice to have you back where you belong....

(Oops, wrong show!)
Well it is difficult to know with a Jerry Herman show. (But at least they're usually fun)

It might be fun placing "Put On Your Sunday Clothes" and "Ribbons Down my Back" into La Cage's score.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2006, 05:59:53 PM »

Perhaps "I'll be Here Tomorrow" could be switched with "I am What I am".

Of course it may well be easier to switch the big ballads from the ALW shows.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2006, 06:03:02 PM »

Tomovoz - Perhaps "Mrs. S.L. Jacobovsky" could be switched with "Mrs. Santa Claus."

:)

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2006, 06:03:17 PM »

Well it is difficult to know with a Jerry Herman show. (But at least they're usually fun)

It might be fun placing "Put On Your Sunday Clothes" and "Ribbons Down my Back" into La Cage's score.

I think Ribbons Down my Back is a logical choice for that show.

Ginny

« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2006, 06:06:21 PM »

Glad to see DRs returning from the holiday weekend - welcome back, Ben, TPunk, Rodzinski, etc.

DH Richard and I are watching The Smartest Guys in the Room - Grrrrrr!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Tomovoz

« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2006, 06:07:57 PM »

Topic NOT of the day:
I'm listening to the "soundtrack" from Richard Lester's first film.  I loved the film - for the pop and jazz performers - back in 1962. "It's Trad Dad" aka  "Ring-A-Ding Rhythm". I managed to construct a more complete CD with 20 tracks. (There were 14 on the official album soundtrack and 4 on an EP - plus tracks by Gary US bonds and Del Shannon).

My next task is to "construct" a soundtrack album for Lester's next film "Just for Fun" - I've located 17 tracks so far. And no album as a starting point!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 06:17:38 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2006, 06:08:37 PM »

I did not get any sewing done this weekend as I had planned but I did: watch My Brother Nikhil, read chapters 1-3 de un libro de espanol, attend a barbeque in Queens, fruitlessly visit Target and Marshalls with the hope of finding a few pairs of shorts, and go on several walks and eat some lovely meals out with Rodzinski.

FJL

« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2006, 06:08:47 PM »

But interchangeable songs were done all the time in those days.  Wasn't the Styne-Merrill song "People" actually written for MR. MAGOO'S CHRISTMAS CAROL?  Or is that just an urban myth?

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2006, 06:09:23 PM »

My Brother Nikhil was very good.  I appreciated the story line and thought the performances were strong and quite moving.

Tomovoz

« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2006, 06:10:26 PM »

"The Grand Tour" is my favourite Jerry score.
MMMMMM  that tune could work DR FJL  LOL.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #133 on: May 29, 2006, 06:13:02 PM »

Was Fanny Brice an Urbane Miss?
Or perphaps I'm confusing her with Myth Marmelstein.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #134 on: May 29, 2006, 06:15:48 PM »

DP Colin and I also watched "My Brother Nikhil".  Indeed a moving story.
James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2006, 06:15:53 PM »

And Miss Marmelstein was written by the same person who wrote FANNY.  So we've come full-circle with our Fannies.

Tomovoz

« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2006, 06:18:39 PM »

Now that is funny and clever.
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #137 on: May 29, 2006, 06:20:13 PM »

Tomovoz, TPunk, and Rodzinski I am glad you all enjoyed MY BROTHER NIKHIL and you introduction to Bollywood!

PS: MY BROTHER NIKHIL soundtrack is available (readily availabe in NY's LIttle India, I imagine) if you happened to enjoy the music from that film...which I and JRand55 did!!

Ben

« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2006, 06:20:18 PM »

Yes, Fred, I heard that rumor about Mame also. Even though the show has opened, I haven't seen any reviews. I don't know if any NY critics were down for the show.

Before I forget, to Larry, vibes, my friend for your ongoing turmoil!

FJL

« Reply #139 on: May 29, 2006, 06:23:43 PM »

Ben, I think it's just technically in previews at this point.

BYW, how was Harrison Chad as Young Patrick?  He had been so great as the young boy in CAROLINE OR CHANGE.

Ben

« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2006, 06:26:12 PM »

Regarding the topic on Sunday, the issue isn't so much content of the sites, but, and this applies across the board regardless of race, religion, age, creed, etc. it's the seeming constant need to be in communication. I don't deny that cell phones are excellent inventions but we got along without them just fine before they were invented. Some segements of society need to remember that and unplug. One of the reasons I had such a wonderful time in DC was the fact that we didn't have a cell phone or text message or computer moment among the three of us from the time we arrived on Friday afternoon until we left today. I don't have a cell phone but Karen and David both left their phones off (I could be wrong they may have checked for messages when I wasn't around) and we had great fun. We laughed, we reminisced, we talked, we ate, we walked and talked, etc., etc., etc., and there was no need to be connected to anyone else. It was glorious. Now Karen will be off to a vacation in Moscow and St. Petersburg and David and I will be back at our respective desks, all with the memories of our wonderful escapist weekend in DC over Memorial Day. Ahh, life is good.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 06:27:47 PM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2006, 06:27:10 PM »

Oh, I thought the show had opened.

Harrison Chad was as good as young Patrick as he was in Caroline or Change. He's got a career ahead of him.

Ben

« Reply #142 on: May 29, 2006, 06:28:16 PM »

And now I must take my leave again.

Tomorrow, my friends.

FJL

« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2006, 06:29:48 PM »

We'll be here tomorrow simply going on, as Jerry Herman would say.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2006, 06:37:24 PM »

I've spent the last couple of days doing almost nothing -- which was very relaxing. Had a bit of a movie marathon... Saw Fateless...then The Family Stone.... then Separate Lies.... then Prime.  Enjoyed them all  -- in different ways. I suppose "enjoy" is the wrong word for Fateless - a very hard film to watch. Especially for me. But I'm glad I saw it. It inhabits the same territory as The Pianist. An incredible performance by the young lead.
Separate Lies I really really enjoyed. A grown-up movie for grown-ups. And Tom Wilkinson is one of the best film actors working today. The other two were relaxing. Prime actually turned out to be quite touching.
I still feel like watching more movies. Might go out and return these and get a few.

Cillaliz

« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2006, 06:38:26 PM »

HI all. I'm back in Sioux City and glad to have high speed internet again.   The dial-up at the lake is a max 24k. SOOOOO slow. Anyway, my brother, my sister and I are giving my dad 3 months of high speed internet for his birthday.  He can't wait.  

That being said, I do agree with DR Ben about the being connected thing.  I love the days when I get in my car to go somewhere and realize I don't have my cell phone and I get annoyed at people of all ages who can't seem to go 5 mintues without talking on their cell phone. Life is passing them by...

Live! Live! Life is a banquet and most poor sons of bitches are starving to death.....(had to throw MAME in there somewhere)

FJL

« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2006, 06:40:52 PM »

It's tradition that when a show is announced as an out-of-town tryout, the NYC critics tend to stay away.   MAME has been careful not to call itself an out-of-town tryout, but the idea that it's Bway-bound if all goes well was somehow leaked to the press.  There was a prominent item by Brantley on Baranski doing MAME in the Sunday Arts & Leisure section, which was unusual for something happening in D.C.  Maybe the NYC critics will review this one after all.

Cillaliz

« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2006, 06:42:38 PM »

I've got some things to get settled and am very tired.  Think I'll sign off and make it an early night.  I started reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan over the weekend. Think I'll go curl up with it and get some rest.

Oh, NPR - Talk of the Nation was on summer reading. They have a list of suggestions on their website..here's a link

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5435740

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #148 on: May 29, 2006, 06:46:02 PM »

TPunk I hope my boys remember all the wonderful birthday & sport cakes I made for them.

Cillaliz how are you and Callie?  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2006, 06:51:57 PM »

"sport cakes" ::) I should have said cakes for the end of the season parties for each of their team sports they played.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up