Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: HELLO, DELI  (Read 20565 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: HELLO, DELI
« Reply #150 on: April 26, 2012, 12:22:24 PM »

PAGE SIX DANCE!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #151 on: April 26, 2012, 12:22:32 PM »

For DR JMK:       :D

Nice review of "Pillow Talk", but I will nitpick your comment about Doris Day:

She was never showy, and she frankly never really was cast in anything totally demanding...

I submit "Love Me or Leave Me"...very demanding, very dramatic and very Oscar-worthy, IMO, even though she wasn't nominated.

And as perfectly at ease as she was in her Universal comedies, "comedy is HARD".  Very few dramatic actors have ever done it well or successfully.

Did you not read my comments about LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME, which pretty much echo yours?   ;D

Your comments about "Love Me or Leave Me" did not negate your earlier assertion she'd never had a demanding role.  :D

They were complimentary, yes.   But you'd already said she'd never done anything demanding.  I posit that she totally HAD.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:26:41 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: April 26, 2012, 12:32:42 PM »

DR elmore was it the Stage Deli you took me to when it was just the two of us? 

2nd Avenue Deli.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #153 on: April 26, 2012, 12:33:18 PM »

Welcome, DR ChasSmith.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #154 on: April 26, 2012, 12:37:58 PM »

The three Kritzerland S.T.A.G.E. CDs have arrived! ;D

I'm hoping mine will today!!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: April 26, 2012, 12:40:15 PM »

Welcome, DR ChasSmith.

Yes!  Tell us about yourself. How did you fnd us? If you like Cherry Coke, bodybuilders, or Bollywood movies, I tell you this for your own safety: run while you can, run for your sanity.

I got home before the rain so I am very happy.  It took me about an hour to bind the 35 chorus scores and they are en route to Dublin.  At Toyland, I scanned the vocal quarter arrangement of "Let's Begin" and sent it to the copyist superviser.

Remember that Facebook friend I hadn't seen in 20 years?  Kinda flaky, I fear. Thought so then, haven't changed my mind.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #156 on: April 26, 2012, 12:56:05 PM »

DR New Reader ChasSmith,

Jane

« Reply #157 on: April 26, 2012, 12:58:53 PM »

Anyone remember the Carnegie's short-lived appearance in Beverly Hills?  Is there still an outpost of the Stage in Century City?  

I think the Stage Deli in Century City is gone.

Was the Carnegie Deli on Beverly Drive?  What year was that?

Jane

« Reply #158 on: April 26, 2012, 12:59:37 PM »

I put a tuna fish can outside this morning. Here is the rain it caught. I tipped it to the side so you could see it all.

You poor people in Phoenix.

Jane

« Reply #159 on: April 26, 2012, 01:00:25 PM »

DR elmore was it the Stage Deli you took me to when it was just the two of us? 

2nd Avenue Deli.

Thank you.  That was fun. :)

George

« Reply #160 on: April 26, 2012, 01:01:04 PM »

I am listening to Manhattan Transfer Extensions right now. Birdland is finishing and now I have Wacky Dust.

I love that CD!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #161 on: April 26, 2012, 01:01:32 PM »

If anyone has any extra left over vibes, please aim them at the inspection process starting this afternoon at 3.  Thanks muchly.  :)

~~~Pass Inspection Vibes for JMK and Betsy!!~~~

George

« Reply #162 on: April 26, 2012, 01:08:33 PM »

Ah, the heady days of one's first deli.  The cheese blintzes at Diamond's Deli, Severance Center Mall in Cleveland, around 1970.  Pre- and post-movie food, and a blissful discovery.  Can't have a blintz anywhere without recalling that.  Thereafter (whilst still a student in Cleveland):  Solomon's Deli, and Corky & Lenny's, both of which I think were in Cedar Center.

Fast forward to the years in L.A., where my attendance record turns suspiciously spotty:  Factor's was a favorite now and then.  Nate & Al's a couple of times.  Canter's once or twice.  (Did you know Canter's used to be a theater called the Esquire, hence the somewhat-marquee-style sign?  I didn't either till recently.)  There was something in the Beverly Center I indulged at a few times, don't remember the name and it's probably long gone.  Anyone remember the Carnegie's short-lived appearance in Beverly Hills?  Is there still an outpost of the Stage in Century City?  First time there was on my way to the Lawrence of Arabia restoration at the Plitt.  What else?  If Jerry's -- on Ventura? -- is the place I'm thinking of, I did enjoy that a few times when on some Valley mission or other.

Nowadays I swear by the Carnegie and its pastrami and cheesecake and kick-ass waiters.  The Stage looks great but never quite satisfies.  Katz's is wonderful for what it is (and I've just discussed that backhanded compliment with friends who grew up within walking distance and swear by it) -- an old neighborhood takeout hole with a great neon sign, where the Experience is to die for, but the food is more to do die From.  One chap calls it the crude version of famous deli food, and I'd go with that.  But don't miss it.

Hello and Welcome, new D(ear) R(eader) ChasSmith! ;D

George

« Reply #163 on: April 26, 2012, 01:09:32 PM »

Isn't there a parody on some Jerry Herman live concert or cabaret recording where they actually sing "Hello, Deli"?

On "Jerry Herman's Broadway at the Hollywood Bowl," they go through the different ways that the tune had been used over the years.  Hello: Deli, Lyndon, Artie's, etc. :D

John G.

« Reply #164 on: April 26, 2012, 01:15:46 PM »

Isn't there a parody on some Jerry Herman live concert or cabaret recording where they actually sing "Hello, Deli"?

On "Jerry Herman's Broadway at the Hollywood Bowl," they go through the different ways that the tune had been used over the years.  Hello: Deli, Lyndon, Artie's, etc. :D
Is that the one with Karen Morrow and Leroy Reams? I love that album, but I only had it on cassette.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #165 on: April 26, 2012, 01:22:01 PM »

My ASK BK Question (a day late, as usual):  reading the Bricusse commentary included with the songbook reminded me of your long ago mention that you were going to release the 52 song demo collection that Jacobs put together for GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS.  Whatever happened to that project?

It was too convoluted in terms of rights.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2012, 01:23:05 PM »

Welcome to new DR CHASSMITH
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: April 26, 2012, 01:23:23 PM »

ChasSmith has been trying to register for a while now, but we just get so many damn spam registrations (sometimes fifty or more a day) that I've just been nuking them sight unseen.  But he's here now and we're glad to have him.  He was interested in posting about the Mahler 6th and I look forward to his thoughts.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2012, 01:28:35 PM »

I always liked the account of the marketing of DOCTOR DOOLITTLE in the book THE STUDIO by John Gregory Dunne.....most entertaining.

George

« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2012, 01:28:54 PM »

Is that the one with Karen Morrow and Leroy Reams? I love that album, but I only had it on cassette.

They were both in that but they recorded a cabaret act with Jerry Herman.  That's probably what you're thinking of.  The Broadway Bowl show was only on video/DVD.  Actually, that was the very first DVD that I ever bought/owned. :)

Jane

« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2012, 01:33:05 PM »

ChasSmith has been trying to register for a while now, but we just get so many damn spam registrations (sometimes fifty or more a day) that I've just been nuking them sight unseen.  But he's here now and we're glad to have him.  He was interested in posting about the Mahler 6th and I look forward to his thoughts.

I'm glad you stopped nuking ChasSmith's registration. :)

Jane

« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2012, 01:33:19 PM »

DR ChasSmith do you have any pets?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2012, 02:01:33 PM »

Car is serviced.  Needed new rear brakes - not too bad, though, cost-wise.  Also two tires had nails in them - those were patched but I know exactly where they came from, whether inserted deliberately or not - the jerk daughter of Annette is having a lot of work done and there are work people taking up all the parking places for the last two or three weeks.  They either drop nails or don't like the fact that I somehow have the temerity to park in front of my own house.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2012, 02:25:34 PM »

Some thoughts on Mahler 6.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #174 on: April 26, 2012, 02:35:47 PM »

No STAGE CD's today :(

John G.

« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2012, 02:44:20 PM »

I hope to have a chance to do some gardening tonight. I bought some plants a few days ago that don't look too happy in their pots. They can't seem to wait.
― Voltaire

Danise

« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2012, 02:47:45 PM »

DR Jennifer!!!!!!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2012, 02:51:02 PM »

Larry, I also love Artie's!
  Me too!!! I was sooo proud of myself when I found it by myself when I was in NYC back in February.

I'm trying to remember any we went to when I was a kid and I'm drawing a blank.     
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2012, 02:52:44 PM »

No STAGE CD's today :(

Mine showed up.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2012, 02:53:36 PM »

Car is serviced.  Needed new rear brakes - not too bad, though, cost-wise.  Also two tires had nails in them - those were patched but I know exactly where they came from, whether inserted deliberately or not - the jerk daughter of Annette is having a lot of work done and there are work people taking up all the parking places for the last two or three weeks.  They either drop nails or don't like the fact that I somehow have the temerity to park in front of my own house.

I hope you mean work done on her house.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up