Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TOWER-ING INFERNO  (Read 27872 times)

Jennifer

Re:THE TOWER-ING INFERNO
« Reply #210 on: October 12, 2006, 04:33:40 PM »

DR Elmore thanks for the warning (although i'm not sure if you were warning me about something DR JRand said or about something you were going to say).  Unfortunately i've had to be much too careful here re: project runway.

We just finished week 6 here. I was very sad with who left this week since she was one of my favorites.

Jennifer

« Reply #211 on: October 12, 2006, 04:39:38 PM »

Btw, the main thing re: spoilers is if you put names in the first line.  I've been spoiled a few times that way (especially with a show that has eliminations).  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #212 on: October 12, 2006, 04:40:12 PM »

Good Afternoon!  Good Evening!

-Just wanted to check in here before heading to dinner.  The ship left Cozumel about half an hour ago, and we're now making our way back to Ft. Lauderdale, a.k.a. "home".  It's been a great couple of days, and we still have one more very full day "at sea" to go.  In the past 48 hours, I've walked along the Dunn's River Falls, swam with and fed the stingrays at Stingray Island, snorkeled at   reef, cooked a gourmet Mexican lunch, went jetskiing, etc, etc., etc.  *And ate more food and drank more alcohol than any sane person has a right too.  -But, then again, I'm not sane, so...

-And, yes, I have taken lots of pictures.  The satellite computer connection is a bit slow here, so I'll post some pics when I get back.  However, as a teaser: It's kind of amazing just who you could end up running into onto a cruise ship!

;)

Vibes to those in need, and continued to well-wishes to everyone.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #213 on: October 12, 2006, 04:42:24 PM »

North Dakota Hiphop!  Now, THAT is a frightening thought.

and it is scary to watch...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jennifer

« Reply #214 on: October 12, 2006, 04:45:39 PM »

Thank you very much DR RLP for putting the spoiler alerts.

And DR MattH, re: MEDIUM.  I am really happy that it is coming back early. But i wonder if it will do well on Wednesdays at 10pm. I really liked the monday night timeslot.

I think that some shows (like GREY'S ANATOMY) can do well on any night. But some shows should stay in the timeslot where they are familiar.

I wonder when the Canadian station will be showing it since their schedule is pretty full. They already (stupidly IMO) moved DANCING WITH THE STARS to saturday (doesn't really affect me since i can watch it on ABC). They used to show it monday at 9pm (while NBC showed it at 10pm).

Gotta go, almost time for SURVIVOR.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #215 on: October 12, 2006, 04:49:07 PM »

"Millions of Men" moves me to tears.

Musically, my favorites so far are "The Faraway Part of Town" and "I"ll Take you Dreaming".

I remember the movie Pepe, with Cantiflas, right? But I don't remember this beautiful song. Same with The Court Jester. I remember a lot of the songs but not this one!

And I absolutely love his version of "Two Lost Souls", and Susan Egan is my favorite of his female collaborators. (I like Kerry Butler---she was amazing in Bat Boy.)

But...Little Red Hat---I don't know what to make of it. Is it a ....euphemism????
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #216 on: October 12, 2006, 05:00:30 PM »

DR Elmore thanks for the warning (although i'm not sure if you were warning me about something DR JRand said or about something you were going to say).  Unfortunately i've had to be much too careful here re: project runway.

We just finished week 6 here. I was very sad with who left this week since she was one of my favorites.

Do you mean that idiot Angela, designer for the Filene's Basement of WhoresRUs?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #217 on: October 12, 2006, 05:03:20 PM »

Good Afternoon!  Good Evening!

-Just wanted to check in here before heading to dinner.  The ship left Cozumel about half an hour ago, and we're now making our way back to Ft. Lauderdale, a.k.a. "home".  It's been a great couple of days, and we still have one more very full day "at sea" to go.  In the past 48 hours, I've walked along the Dunn's River Falls, swam with and fed the stingrays at Stingray Island, snorkeled at   reef, cooked a gourmet Mexican lunch, went jetskiing, etc, etc., etc.  *And ate more food and drank more alcohol than any sane person has a right too.  -But, then again, I'm not sane, so...

Vibes to those in need, and continued to well-wishes to everyone.

Laters...

In my best Shirley Booth whine:
DRJoseS, come back, Sheba! All is forgiven.  Aaaah, Doc, make Sheba come back!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #218 on: October 12, 2006, 05:07:47 PM »

But...Little Red Hat---I don't know what to make of it. Is it a ....euphemism????

I don't think so! ;) But speaking of Audra McDonald, PBS' "Live from Lincoln Center" Series Presents Audra McDonald TV Concert Oct. 12!!  It's not going to be on Seattle's PBS until Sunday...but I can wait!  Anyway, near the end of the article is this paragraph:

McDonald will return to Broadway this season in the Roundabout Theatre Company's production of 110 in the Shade.

110 in the Shade is coming back to Broadway?  With Audra??  Will there be a recording??  Will Audra win her FIFTH Tony Award®??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #219 on: October 12, 2006, 05:22:32 PM »

I don't think so! ;) But speaking of Audra McDonald, PBS' "Live from Lincoln Center" Series Presents Audra McDonald TV Concert Oct. 12!!  It's not going to be on Seattle's PBS until Sunday...but I can wait!  Anyway, near the end of the article is this paragraph:

McDonald will return to Broadway this season in the Roundabout Theatre Company's production of 110 in the Shade.

110 in the Shade is coming back to Broadway?  With Audra??  Will there be a recording??  Will Audra win her FIFTH Tony Award®??

Don't you think Ms I'm-too-grand-for-my-britches McDonald is lousy casting for wallflower Lizzie?  I sure do!

George

« Reply #220 on: October 12, 2006, 05:51:56 PM »

Don't you think Ms I'm-too-grand-for-my-britches McDonald is lousy casting for wallflower Lizzie?  I sure do!

Well, I don't know about the "I'm-too-grand-for-my-britches" part but, as much as I enjoy her recordings, she wouldn't actually be my first choice to play the role. ::) But I'd love to hear the CD...if they record one.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #221 on: October 12, 2006, 05:54:25 PM »

And now I must leave work.  I don't have rehearsal tonight and actually, I don't have rehearsal until Monday night.  I'm also taking tomorrow off from work, so that'll be the big day to start moving!!  I have cable in my new place now and it's being turned off sometime tomorrow, so I MUST be where my cable TV is! ;)

But right now, my sister and I are going to Lowe's for some more stuff.

Until later!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #222 on: October 12, 2006, 05:58:30 PM »

Do you mean that idiot Angela, designer for the Filene's Basement of WhoresRUs?

Nah, she's talking about Alison...sweet Alison whose "recyclables" ensemble appalled Nina and Heidi.

Thus far, in Jennifer's neck of the woods, the competition has seen these weekly winner (and "auf wiedersehned") results:

1. Keith (gown made from bed sheets from Atlas Apts. --Stacey auf'ed)
2. Kayne (Fit for a Queen - Miss USA's runway gown -- Malan auf'ed)
3. Uli (Designer's Best Friend...model and dog -- Katherine auf'ed)
4. Angela (Reap What You Sew -- Macy's design with Laura and Michael -- Keith expelled before runway.  Bonnie auf'ed)
5. Michael (Icon-Pam Grier -- hot pink shorts and top) (Bradley auf'ed)
6. Michael (Recycled materials)  (Alison auf'ed)

SPOILER

SPOILER

THIS MEANS YOU, JENNIFER

The next week is the "mom" competition which Vincent inexplicably wins and which sees Robert sent packing

The anti-Christ's mistress doesn't leave until week 8 after the "Jetsetter" design competition when they wore their own clothes on the trip to Paris. Jeffrey's first victory.

In week 9, Jeffrey wins again with his "couture" creation and Vincent is blessedly auf'ed.  One hoped it was for good.

In week 10, the show screwed the remaining designers and fans by bringing back Angela and Vincent for another chance (as they had both "won" a competition in the past).  It was the cocktail dress competition which Laura won, finally and deservedly.  As for Angela and Vincent -- woof! -- they proved themselves totally inept in most respects, and Kayne got the boot leaving us with a final four contestants.  Ta-DA!

And Larry...do you really think Filene's would let Angela anywhere near their WhoresRUs department?  

Maybe in the crafts section...or possibly the notions area.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 06:05:29 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #223 on: October 12, 2006, 06:03:53 PM »

Well, I don't know about the "I'm-too-grand-for-my-britches" part but, as much as I enjoy her recordings, she wouldn't actually be my first choice to play the role. ::) But I'd love to hear the CD...if they record one.

I'd like to see what Idina Menzel could do with Lizzie!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #224 on: October 12, 2006, 06:24:23 PM »

Back from long meetings and am now going out to dinner.

Edisaurus - you got Haines His Way?  Goodie!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #225 on: October 12, 2006, 06:36:32 PM »

I could never understand the winner of the MOM challenge either....the dress was one of the worst.  Of course without a win, the designer couldn't have taken part in a later challenge.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #226 on: October 12, 2006, 06:38:42 PM »

Word of the day:

Nobody said it better than Miss Lina Lamont:

"...it would be detrimental and DE-literious to my ka-rear.....  And if I don't like it, I can suuuuuuuuuuuu.   I can suuuuuuuuu yuuuuuuuuu for the whole stuuuuudio...."

Although my favorite line she says is a quote:  "I am a glimmering star in the cinema firmament...it says so...right there."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #227 on: October 12, 2006, 06:40:20 PM »

DR EDISAURUS - are you familiar with the play/film THE RAINMAKER by N. Richard Nash?  Little brother Jimmy is infatuated with a girl in town who promises to give her little red hat to the boy she loves.  In the musical version of the play 110 in the SHADE, Jimmy and the girl sing the song about THE LITTLE RED HAT.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #228 on: October 12, 2006, 06:40:56 PM »

Is SHARK on tonight?  Or did they cancel him?

Cillaliz

« Reply #229 on: October 12, 2006, 06:56:37 PM »

So does anyone suffer from paraskavedekatriaphobia?  If so, watch out tomorrow!

Edisaurus

« Reply #230 on: October 12, 2006, 07:05:19 PM »

Edisaurus - you got Haines His Way?  Goodie!

I've just heard my favorites--haven't gotten to hear the whole CD yet because I've been editing music most of the day. But what I've heard so far is great!

And I recognize the harpist, Amy. She and her husband Peter Kent played on our score for "Ociee" at the late lamented Cello Studios. She was really nice---I helped her get her harp out of her car. And Peter as our concertmaster was terrific---great at playing gypsy-style violin, too! And Grant, well, you know...  
Those sessions were one of the highlights of my life.

Last time I was out to LA was for one of Randy Newman's scoring sessions. I was listening from the control room, and Randy insisted that it was best to hear the music on the sound stage, so he brought me out to the stage and I sat with the harpist (that may have been Amy as well...I can't remember.) That was a fun score, full of drama and harps and women's choir. Too bad it wasn't for a better movie...

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #231 on: October 12, 2006, 07:08:47 PM »

DR EDISAURUS - are you familiar with the play/film THE RAINMAKER by N. Richard Nash?  Little brother Jimmy is infatuated with a girl in town who promises to give her little red hat to the boy she loves.  In the musical version of the play 110 in the SHADE, Jimmy and the girl sing the song about THE LITTLE RED HAT.

Thanks for solving that mystery! Greg and I were both wondering: "What the heck is this song about?"

I love the film "The Rainmaker" but I never knew that 110 was based on that!

Edisaurus

« Reply #232 on: October 12, 2006, 07:10:44 PM »

So does anyone suffer from paraskavedekatriaphobia?  If so, watch out tomorrow!

We have a screening in NJ tomorrow with a group who helped support our film. I hope it's not unlucky!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #233 on: October 12, 2006, 07:11:56 PM »

I’m home, had a FANTASTIC time, and am in desperate need of sleep having had a late night with Bryan & his girlfriend.  So I’ll make this short.  

First, my sympathy for those of you who don’t get a chance to meet the guys from Oz, they are just delightful, though I do believe I tired them out yesterday with my passion for walking.  It is a fault of mine, just ask elmore.

Jeff & Betsy, as always, were wonderful hosts, treating us to a delicious dinner & fun evening.  Both Jeff & MBarnum made excellent chauffeurs.

I have a book, if I can keep my eyes open, which must be completed by Saturday afternoon.  At the speed I’m reading these days, about a book every two months, I really must try & focus here.  I’ll return once I’ve finished & post my photos from the last two days.  I have some nice ones of the falls & Rose Garden.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #234 on: October 12, 2006, 07:31:07 PM »

Thanks so much DR Ben for posting that. I know the lyrics by heart, but LJB's album credits the song to a production called "Come Into The Kitchen". Thanks to you, now I know it really was "Come Out Of The Pantry". (Originally the story came from a silent film called "Come Out of the Kitchen"!) You'd think he would have gotten it right, since he Came Out Of The Closet early on. He was one of the most versatile singers ever. Too bad he's no longer with us.

Now, will I ever be able to find "Come Out Of The Pantry"? It has Faye Wray and Jack Buchanan so it's not like it's a bunch of nobodies.

Who is LJB?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #235 on: October 12, 2006, 07:37:43 PM »

The genre of HickHop is embodied (and what a body!) in the music artist currently know as Cowboy Troy.

Now, THOSE are big hands!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Edisaurus

« Reply #236 on: October 12, 2006, 07:54:22 PM »

Who is LJB?

Long John Baldry. He was about 6'6", so that could be where the "long" came from. Or not...

Or... Lyndon Baines Johnson, for the dyslexic!

Edisaurus

« Reply #237 on: October 12, 2006, 07:56:02 PM »

Now, THOSE are big hands!

TCB, did you check out Paolo Conte, the Italian singer on the S&V CD?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #238 on: October 12, 2006, 08:21:11 PM »

I did finally watch RUNWAY this evening.

spoiler space

I was disgusted with what appeared to me to be Laura's complete and utter jealousy with what Jeffrey had brought to show. I paid no attention to that probably misleading clip from next week. From what I understand Jeffrey's clothes did indeed show during Fashion Week, but I think she (Laura) should be ashamed of her sour grapes attitude.

I don't know who won; Laura's clothes from the little bit I saw did look nice. Did not care for anything I saw from Uli or Michael, but we've only had faint glimpses thus far.

So apart from the drama over Jeffrey, this was a very dull episode, I thought.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #239 on: October 12, 2006, 08:27:17 PM »

DR Jennifer:

I think MEDIUM will have an easier time of it on Wednesday than it did on Monday. CSI: MIAMI is more popular than CSI: NY, though I doubt it will win the timeslot, it should have a very good chance to at least come in second which is what it was doing on Monday.

Of course, if STUDIO 60 loses any more viewers, NBC might well take it off Monday night and put it somewhere else opening the timeslot back up for MEDIUM.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up