Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TOWER-ING INFERNO  (Read 27573 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE TOWER-ING INFERNO
« on: October 12, 2006, 12:10:20 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were towering, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're fuming because Tower is only discounting ten percent.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 12:25:45 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE TOWER-ING INFERNO
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 12:12:44 AM »

And the word of the day is: DELETERIOUS!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 12:31:39 AM »

WE never had Tower records in North Dakota. However we did have Musicland and Sam Goody, which are both now gone. I have had less than pleasant experiences with them and I do not miss them.  Media Play was here and gone. At one time they had a good selection but that had deteriorated in recent years.  Media Play closed just before Christmas 2005.

The only store where we can get any music anymore that is other than top 40, rock or hiphip is at Barnes and Noble.

My favorite places to hangout when I was a kid....Hmmm..

Favorite bookstore was a used/new bookstore called Twice Told Tales... Neat books to read and see in there and comfy couches and of course, hot chocolate!!

Loved to go to the Record Shoppe (yes, that was the name) and you could place demo LPs on the old turntable to take a listen, chat with other browsers and even by an LP or tape. They were more than happy to get you a special order or something.  Sadly, they were forced out of business by Musicland.

THe coffee shops as of late have been the only really friendly places for chat and enjoyment. If you are interested in hiphop there are a few places but other music genres you are at a loss.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 12:33:31 AM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 12:41:21 AM »

My favorite NY Hangout-Gotham Book Mart. Their new place doesn't have the vibe that the old place did, but they still have a great selection and some of the best clerks in the world. (And a HUGE cat!) Plus, when you mail order their books, they are neatly and beautifully wrapped in paper and taped up, so when you receive them, you feel like you're opening a wonderful present. I think the book 84 Charing Cross Road described this feeling very well.

In Atlanta, Oxford Books was our wonderful indie bookstore/hangout. They would let you take books upstairs to their coffee shop and spend time with them. They were put under by the mega bookstores. They were just a few blocks away from our new (100 year old) house. How I wish they were still there!

Favorite LA music/video store: Amoeba  (Too bad about Aron's!)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 12:47:17 AM »

I visited a neat bookstore when I was in Washington State in Redmond called Puss n Books!!

They had two cats and LOTS and LOTS of books!! Loved it!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 12:47:58 AM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 12:55:40 AM »

I'll have to think about the Topic of the Day.  Yesterday, I got digital cable installed and today, I get the carpets cleaned.  I have to be at my new place by 10:00 a.m., to let Greg, the carpet cleaner in.  I don't know if I need to stay the entire time or if I can leave right after letting him in.  He totally can be trusted...Greg, my sister, her former husband, his sister and several still current friends of my sister all went to Centralia College together, more than 20 years ago.  He'll let me know. :)

« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 12:58:15 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 12:57:28 AM »

I visited a neat bookstore when I was in Washington State in Redmond called Puss n Books!!

They had two cats and LOTS and LOTS of books!! Loved it!

I've heard of this place, but I've never been.  The Lacey Library (before they moved into a new building quite a few years ago) used to have a library cat.  I don't know if the current building has a cat.  Probably not...there are probably too many people with allergies and all.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Edisaurus

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 12:59:29 AM »

I forgot to mention the place I go to every single day---Cormier Coffee Roasters, near my house. It's an oasis of liberalism in my very uptight little city. (The new owners changed their name to "Cool Beans" but they will always be Cormier to me.) I've been going there for over 10 years every day I've been in Marietta to start my day with a 3 shot non-fat latte for $2 (we seem to have a preferred rate as community activists). I usually see half a dozen people I know whenever I go in, which is a great feeling to someone who grew up as a military brat, moving every few years.

I'm going to miss them so much when we move into Atlanta and I have to resort to Starbucks and mingle with snobby rich people. And nobody in town has better coffee---they roast their own. Mmmmmm. Maybe that's why I'm still up at 4AM!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

George

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 01:00:00 AM »

And now, I'm about to fall asleep.  Good night, all. :)

Edisaurus

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 01:01:39 AM »

Oh, off topic but fitting one a few days ago:

Turner Classic Movies is airing the Groucho Marx/Dick Cavett interview tonight, followed by at least 6 of the best Marx Brothers films. Wish I had TiVO!

www.tcm.com
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 01:03:44 AM by Edisaurus »

Edisaurus

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 01:03:08 AM »

Goodnight, George! I'm turning in too... Goodnight DC and BK!
Goodnight John-Boy...

Edisaurus

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 01:25:43 AM »

Oh NOOOOOOO! I did an internet search to find a picture of Gotham Book Mart's huge cat, Pynchon (the New Yorker did a story on him when he arrived) and it appears that the store may be going out of business!

Here's a good description of the store:
http://www.gen-o.com/blog/?p=115

And from the NYT:  

Now, the 86-year-old bookstore is in trouble again.

In the last six months, the owners of the building have moved to evict the store and its owner, Andreas Brown. Friends of Mr. Brown’s say the building’s owners were only trying to help Gotham get on its feet. They say that Mr. Brown, who hoped to buy the building eventually, fell behind on his $51,000 monthly rent, and owes at least $500,000 in rent, taxes, interest and other fees.

Whether he fell behind because he lost momentum during the difficult transition after the move from the old building or because — as some friends say — he devoted his money to his first love, buying more books, and to paying his employees rather than his rent, the Gotham is fighting for its life once again.

I am heartbroken! This would be a tragic loss!
www.gothambookmart.com

Now I can't sleep....

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 04:08:06 AM »

And the word of the day is: DELETERIOUS!
Casey would waltz
With a strawberry blonde
In spite of the DELETERIOUS games the band played with the tempi.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 04:15:21 AM »

With over 5000 stores nationwide, Starbuck's is hardly a place where the elite meet and greet.   :P

There are sure to be better places to get your coffee fix, Edisaurus.  Check the phone book, ask friends.  It's not like Atlanta is an itsy-bitsy one horse town with a single trough.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 04:31:49 AM »

I remember when the Burbank Golden Mall opened.  Several blocks of San Fernando Blvd. were closed to traffic, paved over, and Burbank had it's very own open-air mall.  It was a fun place to go after school.

The street has been opened up to traffic again, of course, because all the stores eventually failed.  Sad, but last time I was in the area, that part of Burbank was absolutely ugly.

*sigh*

Danise

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 04:34:05 AM »

Good morning all!  

How exciting about your new place, DR George!  After 25 (!) years in the same place I sometimes yearn for a change and the excitement of moving someplace new.   I have to keep telling myself how lucky I am that the joint is paid in full and be happy with that.  

When I used to have the time, I went to the realtor sites just to see what was available and daydreamed about buying this or that house.  I think someone thought I had the money for the million dollar homes because I started getting ad's in the mail from realtors for them.  I never even left my email address so I guess that should be a warning that Big Brother IS watching.

I thought about shocking them by puting in a bid for a  few square yards since there was no way I could aford the whole house!  :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 04:44:57 AM »

We have a lot of used bookstores around.  I love them because I can get what I want then take it back and get part credit for another book.  

I wish I could keep them all but our house is just to small.

I also trade books at work.  We have a bookshelf where you can take a book to read if you bring it back and put another one on the shelf as well.   Mostly smutt novels so I try to add some sci fi/fantasy books with what I bring in.

And here is my stop.  

Laters all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 05:44:25 AM »

I was very disappointed yesterday.

Der B and I were up in Dover, doing our usual shopping at Sam's Club.  Last time we went, they had a bunch of Doctor Who DVDs for sale, ten bucks per disc, and I snagged three.

This time, they didn't have any of the discs at all.

:'(   :'(   :'(   :'(   :'(   :'(   :'(

(Looks like we'll have to go on-line to shop.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 05:51:25 AM »

Oh, re a question our esteemed BK asked yesterday -

All our on-line purchases are done by der Brucer.  That way, my own spending tendencies are kept in check.  My accounts are reserved for things like rent, certain bills, that sort of thing.

I don't know why he didn't get Rewind, though.  He may have been feeling broke at the time.  That happens on occasion.

By the way, I've shown How to Write a Dirty Book to my co-workers.  The cover has brought a smile to everyone's face.  They're also surprised that someone like me could know someone like BK.  They don't know anyone like BK.  I'm just lucky, I guess.   ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 05:52:35 AM »

Off to work I go!  Short day, fortunately.  

Thank-you, George, for yesterday's lyric.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2006, 05:54:37 AM »

TOD: I was never allowed to hang out.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2006, 06:01:07 AM »

Today I am going to the arboretum with the hopes of finding the golden eagle that has been hanging around there. My friend's six-year-old boy loves eagles and very much wants to see one. So I shall have a busy day indeed. My friend has twins, so I shall be doubly busy.

When we went to the mountains to see the autumn leaves last week, I was able to get the boys to look for "little things no one else bothers to look at" to keep them from running off.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Edisaurus

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2006, 06:25:52 AM »

With over 5000 stores nationwide, Starbuck's is hardly a place where the elite meet and greet.   :P

There are sure to be better places to get your coffee fix, Edisaurus.  Check the phone book, ask friends.  It's not like Atlanta is an itsy-bitsy one horse town with a single trough.

Thanks for the tips, unfortunately we've already done that. The closest indie coffee shop is still 4 miles away. And although Starbucks isn't elite by any means, this particular one borders one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Atlanta (not mine!) so the parking lot is always full of BMW's and Mercedes, and the store is full of people on their cell phones, ipods or computers, no one interacting and treating the employees like "the help".

Our Marietta coffee shop is our touchstone---we know all the kids there by name. We've seen hundreds of them them grow up and "fledge". They house sit for us, take care of our cats, help us carry heavy things if we need a hand, and we help them fix things that go wrong when we're there. They come to our screenings, we go to their weddings, their plays; they are like our extended family since we see them more than our real famlies.

This coffee shop has a very eclectic mix of people, reflecting our neighborhood. But the city is wiping out our neighborhood in a redevelopment/ethnic cleansing frenzy. Condos and townhomes are just about all that's being built. Probably by Mexicans who used to live here.

Our new neighborhood is almost all-white and neighborhood functions feel weird to us. We miss our Mexican neighbors---especially their cooking and watching the kids mutilate piñatas!

On the plus side, though, I will be able to walk to most of my jobs and the others are close enough to ride to on a scooter. No more highway battles in the morning! (At least now I have Guy Haines to keep me calm!)

William E. Lurie

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2006, 06:29:00 AM »

I use to love Tower records but in the last couple of years they never had everything I was looking for, new or old ... like they used to.

My problem with on-line shopping is that you have to either pay a lot extra for fast shipping or wait for a week or more for normal shipping.  If I pre-order a new release it won't ship until the day before "street date" and I won't get it until it has been in stores several days.

When I was growing up my father had a "Men's and Boy's Wear" store where I used to hang out (well actually I was supposed to be helping out) but I really hung out at the local record store down the block.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Edisaurus

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2006, 06:29:31 AM »

I was able to get the boys to look for "little things no one else bothers to look at" to keep them from running off.

What a great idea! I hope they can also stay quiet and not scare off any eagles.

Oh---another good perk of the new house...there are lots of owls there. We hear them every night, hooting at each other. (I've only seen barred owls so far.)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 06:46:30 AM by Edisaurus »

Ginny

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2006, 06:57:56 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  It is cold here in SW Ohio today - freeze warning for tonight.

TOD - I thought about this topic all the way to work this morning and realized how much of a homebody I've always been.  When hang-out time becomes available, that's where I'd choose to be.  But BK's question was about when we were young, so I'll mention the now-gone J. L. Hudson department store in downtown Detroit.  My high-school best friend and I spent many Saturdays there.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 07:02:34 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2006, 07:00:52 AM »

Good morning, all!  I slept late, I've been responding to emails, and I have a deadline this morning to proof this "Appalachian Carols" arrangement for my publisher so it can be printed.   It's important to me to get it into print ASAP since the piece is dedicated to my father.  If any DR would like to hear it, its premiere performance, Dec 1985, before the addition of "I Wonder As I Wonder," can be heard at this site:

http://www.yrmusic.com/v2/artists/bios/artist.php?ID=11

I also have some Toyland checks to make on our computer repository of original source materials for Toyland and THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER, and then some brain surgery.  I think I'll work on the Act One Finale since it's one long mother.

DR Edisaurus, if you just got the last BBC version of "Our Mutual Friend," you will not see Jack Wild.  He was in the 1970s adaptation, which isn't on video to my knowledge.  However, I loved the last version.  Did you see "Bleak House" last year?

TOD:  
   When I was a kid, going into downtown Cincinnati and spending a day at Shillito's was my idea of heaven; it was a sort of mini-Macy's with a little bit of everything.  Then I discovered Willis Music, which wasn't far from Shillito's, with their mysterious file cabinets loaded down with scores and sheet music and bins of classical records.  What a great way to spend a Saturday!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2006, 07:06:02 AM »

Funny, DR Elmore and I would both mention Saturdays at big department stores!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2006, 07:09:35 AM »

That photo of Jack Wild was scary.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2006, 07:11:32 AM »

Edisaurus,
I totally understand your feelings about your beloved coffee shop. I think many people long for some sort of community gathering place--and there are so few left.

Several years ago I had a writing assignment on certain aspects of Chinese medicine, which proved to be the most difficult writing I've done. I usually write in solitude, but this time I did much of the early work at the local La Madeleine, where many people I know come and go. It had nothing to do with the food they serve; I just felt comfortable there. It's difficult to be more specific, but these places certainly fill a need for me and for others I know.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up