Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SHRIMP BOATS IS A'COMIN'  (Read 11645 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: SHRIMP BOATS IS A'COMIN'
« Reply #120 on: September 04, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »

Jane

How Is Sherlock's Tail?

Thank you for asking.  We think it looks a wee bit better, but then what do we know.  I took him hiking on Mt. Ashland again and kept him out of the water.  When we returned home Keith was brushing him and noticed the bandage had slid down exposing the sores.  We hope no harm was done and the air was good for it.

We return to the vet on Wednesday.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #121 on: September 04, 2010, 04:42:52 PM »

Bundy also attended the University of Utah, my alma mater.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2010, 04:43:38 PM »

Another, even scarier case (for me) that took place in the early 1980s:

Took place in Agoura Hills. CA.  It was a very well-publicized case, but I don't recall the names of any of the people involved.

This high school kid was driving home from summer school when he was ambushed, shot and killed by another student, a "nice Jewish boy".

It seems that, a week or two before, the victim had surprised the shooter, catching him in bed with another guy.  The shooter was afraid that the victim would "out," him, which is why he did what he did.

I think the shooter was sentenced to "life," and over the years various governors kept denying him parole.

THE REASON I am aware of this case is that my son, David, was also going to summer school that year.  I would drive him there in the morning and I paid another kid to drive him home every day.

The kid I paid was the victim in this case.

Thankfully, David stopped riding with him (don't recall the reason) about 2 weeks before the kid was ambushed.

Sad story.  It must have been very upsetting for both you and David.

Jane

« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2010, 04:45:37 PM »

DR Thom it is nice to see you.  I hope you recover quickly and using the computer will be easier.

Jane

« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2010, 05:32:27 PM »

MBarnum, in the mail from NetFlix today is "Yoo-Hoo, Mrs Goldberg".  Have you seen it?
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Yoo-Hoo-Mrs.-Goldberg/70119920?trkid=226870

Jane

« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2010, 05:38:46 PM »

Speaking of NetFlix.... Last night we watched KICK-ASS.  Following are a few comments from a reviewer we like.  Keith and I both agree, it's a blast.  I suggest not reading reviews as they give too much away, and giving the movie at least half an hour if you feel a bit uncomfortable in the beginning.

"We have entered the world of post-modern superheroes, where the concept of someone with special powers doing battle against the forces of evil seems quaint, almost boring...... Yet, despite the trials and tribulations of some of the best-known comic book heroes, the genre is insanely popular, and that popularity gives rise to projects like Kick-Ass, which mock and embrace the conventions with equal zeal. Kick-Ass is part hard-core action flick, part parody, and part comedy. Done poorly, this sort of thing can be painful. Done well, as is the case here, it's a blast.
The commercials for Kick-Ass make it seem almost family-friendly, which it most certainly is not. This film isn't just violent, it revels in bloody mayhem."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #126 on: September 04, 2010, 06:05:19 PM »

Speaking of NetFlix.... Last night we watched KICK-ASS.  Following are a few comments from a reviewer we like.  Keith and I both agree, it's a blast.  I suggest not reading reviews as they give too much away, and giving the movie at least half an hour if you feel a bit uncomfortable in the beginning.

"We have entered the world of post-modern superheroes, where the concept of someone with special powers doing battle against the forces of evil seems quaint, almost boring...... Yet, despite the trials and tribulations of some of the best-known comic book heroes, the genre is insanely popular, and that popularity gives rise to projects like Kick-Ass, which mock and embrace the conventions with equal zeal. Kick-Ass is part hard-core action flick, part parody, and part comedy. Done poorly, this sort of thing can be painful. Done well, as is the case here, it's a blast.
The commercials for Kick-Ass make it seem almost family-friendly, which it most certainly is not. This film isn't just violent, it revels in bloody mayhem."

The only thing I would caution, at least on the Blu-ray, is the odd (but evidently intentional) color boosting and smearing, leading to what I consider really ugly, oily looking purple splotches on a lot of black surfaces, like the cop's uniform or even the girl's hair in that scene where the hero breaks into her bedroom.  I thought I had a defective Blu-ray until I started poking around the internets and read about it.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #127 on: September 04, 2010, 06:10:01 PM »

I see that no one is on right now. I just wanted to say "Hello."  Still 9 days until my hip replacement surgery (Monday, September 13). I'm counting the days and don't spend much time on the computer. "Cheers" to everyone.

Remember, DR Thom, HHW is a great place to convalesce - as too many of us have learned first-hand...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #128 on: September 04, 2010, 06:11:38 PM »

I see that no one is on right now. I just wanted to say "Hello."  Still 9 days until my hip replacement surgery (Monday, September 13). I'm counting the days and don't spend much time on the computer. "Cheers" to everyone.

Remember, DR Thom, HHW is a great place to convalesce - as too many of us have learned first-hand...

Very true.

Ginny

« Reply #129 on: September 04, 2010, 06:11:44 PM »

Is Richard also following your new exercise and diet regime?

Um, not so much, DR Jane, but I'm trying not to be too preachy. 
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #130 on: September 04, 2010, 06:12:38 PM »

The only thing I would caution, at least on the Blu-ray, is the odd (but evidently intentional) color boosting and smearing, leading to what I consider really ugly, oily looking purple splotches on a lot of black surfaces, like the cop's uniform or even the girl's hair in that scene where the hero breaks into her bedroom.  I thought I had a defective Blu-ray until I started poking around the internets and read about it.

Hmm, I was too involved in the story to be bothered, if I even noticed.

Jane

« Reply #131 on: September 04, 2010, 06:13:18 PM »

Do you want me to send him an email ;)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #132 on: September 04, 2010, 06:13:38 PM »

DS Rob just called from "da UP, eh," to tell us that he and Mary Linda are taking a day trip to Tahquamenon Falls and that both of Mary Linda's parents have left the bike trail today due to lousy weather conditions.  They'll try to rejoin the DALMAC tomorrow.

I don't know what any of that meant.

i am back from lunch with Joseph Rubin and wondering (AGAIN!!!!) what the hell is going on with the Victor Herbert MD.

The UP is the Upper Peninsula in Michigan.  Over and over we heard how beautiful it was.  Finally the summer before we moved we rented an RV and drove up with Craig & Sherlock.  Basically all we saw was rain and fog.

Jane, did you have a previous dog named Sherlock?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #133 on: September 04, 2010, 06:13:51 PM »

Speaking of preaching, DR JMK have you set a date for that test you are avoiding?

Jane

« Reply #134 on: September 04, 2010, 06:14:56 PM »

DS Rob just called from "da UP, eh," to tell us that he and Mary Linda are taking a day trip to Tahquamenon Falls and that both of Mary Linda's parents have left the bike trail today due to lousy weather conditions.  They'll try to rejoin the DALMAC tomorrow.

I don't know what any of that meant.

i am back from lunch with Joseph Rubin and wondering (AGAIN!!!!) what the hell is going on with the Victor Herbert MD.

The UP is the Upper Peninsula in Michigan.  Over and over we heard how beautiful it was.  Finally the summer before we moved we rented an RV and drove up with Craig & Sherlock.  Basically all we saw was rain and fog.

Jane, did you have a previous dog named Sherlock?

No, just a delicious glass of a Greek Chardonnay at lunch.  I meant Echo of course.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2010, 06:15:43 PM »

Bundy also attended the University of Utah, my alma mater.

Which could explain his decline into murder.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #136 on: September 04, 2010, 06:18:31 PM »

Of course not, that's his job!
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2010, 06:21:33 PM »

Here's a our DN Lauren doing what athletic training majors do - waiting for something to happen:

Ginny

« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2010, 06:22:53 PM »

And here she is in action:

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2010, 06:24:49 PM »

Watching a really bad motion picture on Blu and Ray - the fact that this horridly-written drivel was a HIT is astonishing - not only a hit, but a sequel is coming.  Which shows, that bad writing, mediocre directing, and a bunch of well-known talent creates a hit bad movie.

Ginny

« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2010, 06:25:32 PM »

Do you want me to send him an email ;)

Um, I wouldn't recommend that!  He's always been better at the exercise thing than I am (or was...)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #141 on: September 04, 2010, 06:26:25 PM »

...really ugly, oily looking purple splotches ...

Speaking of which:

POPEATER

What would we do without Björk?

While nothing could ever top the Icelandic singer's epically fugly swan dress (Oscars 2001), this purple concoction comes really, really close. The musician thrilled fashion police around the globe this week when she strolled into a press conference for the Polar Music Prize in Stockholm, Sweden, looking like the gonzo star of a Cirque du Soleil ode to Barney.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Cillaliz

« Reply #142 on: September 04, 2010, 06:33:23 PM »

TRUE CRIME....hmmmm that's just another day at the office ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #143 on: September 04, 2010, 06:40:25 PM »

Today when I arrived at the lake, the monarchs did too, on their annual migration.  They were everywhere

Cillaliz

« Reply #144 on: September 04, 2010, 06:42:17 PM »

They were swarming and basking in the sunshine

Cillaliz

« Reply #145 on: September 04, 2010, 06:42:44 PM »

More butterflies

Cillaliz

« Reply #146 on: September 04, 2010, 06:43:22 PM »

Here's a male monarch

Jane

« Reply #147 on: September 04, 2010, 06:45:54 PM »

Of course not, that's his job!

:)

Jane

« Reply #148 on: September 04, 2010, 06:47:11 PM »

Today when I arrived at the lake, the monarchs did too, on their annual migration.  They were everywhere

Wow, so many at once!!!

Ginny

« Reply #149 on: September 04, 2010, 06:47:54 PM »

Beautiful butterflies, DR Cillaliz!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up