Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: MOXIE  (Read 30113 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:MOXIE
« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2005, 12:59:44 PM »

I'm going to see it in Des Moines on October 20 while I'm there on a business trip

That national tour comes through here in mid-November, but I don't think I'm going to see it. A gut feeling tells me I would be very disappointed.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2005, 01:02:03 PM »

People use the vehicles they feel comfortable with.  You're not going to get them to change their behaviors as easily as that.

For that matter, using public transportation is not an option in many areas, nor is carpooling.  (And I've been a long-term user of both, in the past.)  

We need to restructure our priorities, sure, but this includes several measures, not one rather silly protest (which will never happen, because not everyone will take part).  We need to have alternative ways of getting from one place to another.  We need to have alternate fuels.  And we need more refineries.  A large part of the reason gas costs so much is because we have a very limited ability to produce the gas in a usable form; the lack of refineries has created the bottleneck.  If we had more refineries, that bottleneck would be reduced (widened?), and the economic laws of supply and demand would kick in.  But the very people who are squawking the most about our current gas prices are also the people who have refused to allow newer, more cost efficient refineries to be built.  

Oh I agree.  I am not an SUV driver but I am driving a Ford stationwagon that only gets about 20 MPG,  I cannot possibly carpool or use public transportation with my job as I am constantly driving from place to palce to conduct closings

I have no objection to building new refineries  just NIMB  ;D

Ah yes Hypocristy thy name is vixmom

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2005, 01:03:00 PM »

bad spelling and bad typing thy names are also vixmom

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2005, 01:03:12 PM »

Page 4 Dance!!!

vixmom

« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2005, 01:03:18 PM »

I blame Jose

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2005, 01:05:46 PM »

I will cast the sole positive note, apparently, on the film of "The Fantasticks."

I think El Gallo should have been a true singer, but beyond that, I find the film fanciful, gloriously musical with orchestrations of incredible beauty and sensitivity.

I've certainly not heard their equal in film musicals or on any CD recordings of the past 30-plus years.

I really like Joey McIntire's "Matt" and the locations are stunningly used.

The "Soon It's Gonna Rain" number is sheer heaven to me.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 01:06:45 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2005, 01:06:01 PM »

And the word of the day is: VITUPERATE!

Those who vituperate are eruptive at the slightest whim.

Aren't anagrams fun?   ;D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 01:06:34 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2005, 01:09:19 PM »

I had a terrific lunch with two friends that I've done lots of shows with. The funny thing is that the three of us have only appeared in one show together: WEST SIDE STORY, but between all of our experiences, we laughed and reminisced about shows and actors and directors we've known and loved/hated. A two hour lunch seemed like ten minutes.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2005, 01:12:12 PM »

With all this talk of THE FANTASTICKS, I might have to put THE ADDAMS FAMILY aside tonight and watch it instead.

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2005, 01:13:12 PM »

I am sure there are websites that detail the new TV season, but I'll have to leave here and go exploring. If I find a good one, I'll post it.

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2005, 01:14:36 PM »

All that rain we were supposed to get today is NOWHERE in sight! I haven't checked an updated forecast, however, so perhaps the weather folks have pushed its arrival forward.

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2005, 01:17:04 PM »

And I got no packages today though I did get the notification from Amazon that the Shirley Temple movies had shipped.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2005, 01:26:32 PM »

BB6 Spoilage:

It's good to see that April stuck to her guns about backdooring James.

The way I figure it, Janelle and Maggie will vote for James, and Beau and Ivette will vote for Howie.  The vote will then come down to April to break the tie.

We'll have to see how much influence Ivette can muster up to change April's mind about sending James packing.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 01:27:04 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2005, 01:32:35 PM »

Yes, DRMATTH, I remember you writing about doing MY THREE ANGELS.  Our production is plagued with non-actors and people who want to be in the play, but have to go to Canada or California or anyplace else....but they don't have time to rehearse.  We will be without our JOSEPH and MDE PAROLE all this week while they vacation....  And we open one week from Thursday.

oh well....hopefully I know my lines...we will see in a few hours.

MOXIE.

Darn...the chat room will be open at a surprise time when I am at rehearsal!  GRRRRRRRRRRRR
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2005, 01:34:09 PM »

I would like to spend Saturday, April 13, 1912, on the Titanic (thanks DRJASON) but leave before Sunday evening.

AND I would like to spend 24 hours with the Contract Players at Universal-International in October, 1954, to see them all do their classes and watch some movies being made.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2005, 01:35:54 PM »

Hmm... Maybe I'll head down to the Tarzan open call and check out the mad house it surely is... Hmmm...  In any case...

Laters...

"Everybody just calm down!!  We're only seeing singing Tarzans here today, dancing Tarzans will be seen tomorrow!"   ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2005, 01:36:51 PM »

I rented the DVD of THE FANTASTICKS and don't remember liking it very much, I may not even have watched the whole thing.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2005, 01:38:57 PM »

DRELMORE clearing his desk for Faith Prince....I am horrified at the picture!
A person could develop La Grippe.

I forgot to say, MR BK, that January is a perfect time to open a play.  People are tired of the holidays and are looking for something NEW and different to do!!

I will be watching a bit of ADAM-12 myself when I return from rehearsal....if I return from rehearsal... if our rehearsal on Monday does NOT run into our rehearsal time on Tuesday.

Studying my lines one last time before heading out!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2005, 01:39:32 PM »

But to put it all in perspective, all I have to do is think about Katrina!

I have NO problems or worries...none at all!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2005, 01:42:15 PM »

I thought the film of The Fantasticks was much better than everyone else had led me to believe, but that was perhaps the result of having such low expectations.  I, like some others here, think the cinematography is grand and I also applaud them for having done a lot (maybe all?  I know they talk about it on the commentary) of the singing live--no lip-synchs.

JRand--I must have missed a birthday over the past few days.  Belated wishes and Frances has never looked better--that butch hockey look really suits her.  Of course architectural photographers may beg to differ.  ;)

Time machine:  so many choices, but I think I'd like to have been at Warm Springs, Georgia for FDR's last day on the planet.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2005, 01:45:17 PM »

And BTW I always have loved Glenn Close's performance of Jack Finney's character Moxie.  What's that?  Oh, never mind.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2005, 01:51:23 PM »

So can we gather that SWoody is volunteering his backyard for  a new refinery?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2005, 01:54:09 PM »

She was widely admired but could get nasty on the ballroom floor; her specialty was vituperative dance!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2005, 01:57:35 PM »

Yes, DRMATTH, I remember you writing about doing MY THREE ANGELS.  Our production is plagued with non-actors and people who want to be in the play, but have to go to Canada or California or anyplace else....but they don't have time to rehearse.

Sounds like the cast I suffered with for SOMETHING'S AFOOT. I don't think we ever had everyone there to rehearse until two days before we opened. It was one of the most miserable rehearsal experiences I have ever had.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2005, 01:58:30 PM »

So can we gather that SWoody is volunteering his backyard for  a new refinery?
No, the lot next door.  Anything has to be better than the McGulag that's going up there now.

On a more practical note, lower Delaware is a great place for raising chickens and corn, but since it has no major ports or highways it would be a lousy place for a refinery.

A refinery in northern New Jersey, on the other hand, would be redundant.   ::)

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2005, 02:02:27 PM »

I'm definitely going to re-watch THE FANTASTICKS tonight. I'll have more specific comments when I return later tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2005, 02:04:16 PM »

I bought a new recliner for my den, and I just got e-mail notification that it will be delivered this week. However, the day of delivery is as yet undetermined, and I'll be called the day of delivery so they can be sure I'll be home.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2005, 02:11:38 PM »

Speaking of today's Topic of the Day, Playbill.com has this article:

Sherman Brothers Working on New Musical Merry-Go-Round

Stein [Jack Stein, the show's producer] told Variety the musical would possess elements of "It's a Wonderful Life" and "A Christmas Carol." In the tale, "a father and his grown son get on a merry-go-round that takes them back in time to relive moments from the son's childhood."

It's based on an original story by the composer and will be written directly for the stage...not otherwise based on a movie or a book.  Sounds very interesting. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2005, 02:23:40 PM »

The gas protest day cannot work because few people will actually do it.  There is only one clear way to effect mammoth change in this country, only one true way the people can be heard loudly and clearly - and that is for everyone, EVERYONE to simply not pay their income tax next year.  Let me tell you how loudly that would be heard.  And what are they going to do - throw a billion people in jail?  I don't think so.  Want Bush out of office, expunged?  Want the oil rapers to pay?  I'm telling you - if everyone didn't pay their income tax until those punishments were meted out, then those punishments would be meted out.  Will it happen?  No.  Should it happen?  Yes, but that would take a country filled with people who were filled with courage, and it would mean that the sheep would have to not be sheep.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: August 29, 2005, 02:24:25 PM »

Check out kritzerland.com for Kevin Spirtas' new single.  We're now taking preorders, and it should ship prior to September 12.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up