Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TLC  (Read 25276 times)

Jennifer

Re:TLC
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2005, 11:04:40 AM »

Warning, Warning...reality show talk ahead!

Regarding BB6:

I really hate to see Eric leave. I like him and Maggie. But it does seem I am in the minority on that....but can someone tell me why James keeps saying that Eric screwed him over? I don't remember Eric doing anything bad to him (or anyone else). He did make a lot of deals with people that if they got HOH they wouldn't put him on the block, but I don't see anything wrong with that.

As you know I really like Kaysar...he is a smart player, but I wish he would have kept his word to Eric. I was disappointed that he did not. Also, I am afraid that others will use that against him in the future saying that they can't trust him because he didn't keep his word to Eric.

To add to what DR RonP wrote, I think that James is mad at eric because when Maggie and James were nominated, Eric went all out to save maggie.  But more than that, he went all out to get james evicted.  Now I know that maggie is eric's friend/partner.  But if james really mattered to eric, he should have come up with a way to save him, and not throw him to the wolves.

I think james and sarah's saviour was sarah's smart idea for them to come clean to janelle/kaysar about their relationship.

I also think kaysar is a genius, since he says he knew how this would play out 2 weeks ago.

But i think janelle is also really smart. It was her idea to nominate maggie and james, to shatter the core alliance (by having eric have to choose sides).  Totally genius.

And how fun was it to watch eric et al realize what was happening during the veto competition.  Slightly unfair though to have kaysar/james/janelle who are all excellent chess players!

Also, I don't think that Kaysar betrayed eric. He kept his word and did not nominate him.  Only after, when he realized that eric could not be trusted did he put him up after the veto.

Although i don't care for maggie, i'm not crazy about competitions where people can work in teams to decide who wins (they do this on survivor all the time).  It turned out okay for me since i liked who won.  But i would have rather seen it where each person had a fair chance to win the veto.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2005, 11:13:43 AM »

BK, I too used to buy TV Guide every week and mark all the movies I was going to watch.  But the whole thing has become a bit unwieldy now...just like TV.  Too many options.  And, unfortunately, most of the options aren't worth it.   I can go through the entire 150 channels on our cable system and find nothing worth engaging my time.  

It's sort of like life these days, tons of options for everything, most not worth the powder to blow them up.  Options that have mostly just increased the stress levels of our life.

The Lovely  Wife had her cell phone stolen yesterday in a store.  She had just finished a call when a man bumped into her.  The phone flew out of her hand, as well as the merchandise she held.  The man and a woman immediately started to help her pick up her things.  After they had helped her and left, she realized she didn't have her phone.

It would seem to me that the man who bumped her and the woman were working as a team...the specific purpose to get the phone.  It wouldn't surprise me that people are victims of this type of crime more often.  Here we all are multi-tasking, giving our full attention to none of the tasks, and not focusing on what and who is around us, ready to prey on us.  

I see it all the time.  People in stores or malls or on the highway, with their cell phones at their ears and their heads up their ass, oblivious to everything else around them.  Technology, while often a good thing, also seems to be isolating us more and more in our little private individual worlds, disconnecting us to actual life and experience.

I told The Lovely Wife to be grateful they just got the phone, which had its service suspended immediately and not her purse or her credit cards.  But giving the way folks wander around in semi-conscious stupors yakking their cell phones, I'm wouldn't be surprised if more didn't have purses and wallets lifted as well.  Hell, some of them could be stripped naked and never notice.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2005, 11:20:11 AM »

Oops, my heart went "Oops!"
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2005, 11:53:33 AM »

Today they began putting in the surface for the covered playground:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jason

« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2005, 12:40:57 PM »

Just had an unexpected visit to the office by DR Jose who brought gifts! Two loverly cream puffs from Beard Papa. :) I sampled each one and I must say...Mmmmmmmm! The strawberry is particularly good.

Thank you, Jose! :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2005, 12:50:09 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings from the FedEX Kinko's in Chelsea!

And, yes, I did just come from DR Jason's workplace... as well as another certain DR's abode (hint: he's an orchestrator).  ;)

I guess you can call me the Cream Puff Fairy today!

Hmm... "Cream Puff Fairy"  - sounds a bit redundant.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2005, 12:50:54 PM »

OH..

And you're welcome!

*And, yes, the strawberry ones are particularly good!  Hmm.. I wonder if I can make it back up there before they close at 8:00... Hmm...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 12:51:10 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2005, 12:52:00 PM »

Kerry, drink lots of water!!! You and Lyn and the dogs have it worse than us. And don't tell me it's a dry heat. I've heard that song before. An oven is an oven  ;)

True, but I will take the dry oven over the humid one any day.  At least there is some relief in the shade.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2005, 12:53:17 PM »

Well...

I kept thinking I was going to meet my friends down here a half hour before I had to start playing auditions at Chelsea Studios.  Auditions start at 5:00.  I was planning on meeting my friends at 3:30.

???

subtract 1... carry the 2....

Oops!

Must be the heat.

(UGH!)

Ah, well...

Guess I'll go ahead and treat myself to a late lunch/early dinner somewhere in the neighborhood, or just forage at the Whole Foods on the corner.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2005, 12:54:28 PM »

Oh...

And I'm still making the "big decision"...

However, I did get my Arena Stage contract worked out.  And I got my "extra" this time round!  HOO and RAY!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2005, 12:57:20 PM »

Sorry to have been so E&T.  My weekend (the Julie Budd concert and my camp's 30th anniversary celebration) was pretty spectacular.  I didn't think I was going to have as good a time at the reunion as I did, but I did.  The line-up of those sharing their memories of Stagedoor Manor was very impressive:  Jon Cryer, Josh Charles, Mandy Moore (OK, so not all of them were that impressive...), Zach Braff, Jonathan Marc Sherman, Jeff Blumenkrantz (who, with Todd Graff were the only ones that were at camp when I was there).  And that is just from the people who showed up.  As I mentioned last week, there are others who have gone on to some fairly major careers, who did not show up.  There were video montages, and songs from former campers as well.  And then we all got to go back to camp, and revisit our pasts!  (The show was at Kutshers, where I was staying for the weekend.) Pretty terrific, all the way around.  On the other hand, however, I can say that even those Borscht Belt hotels that are still around are like Norma Desmond's mansion:  All faded glory, and alte-kockers.

Sounds like a great event!  I used to work with a young woman who went to Stagedoor Manor at the same time as Natalie Portman!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2005, 12:57:32 PM »

Just had an unexpected visit to the office by DR Jose who brought gifts! Two loverly cream puffs from Beard Papa. :) I sampled each one and I must say...Mmmmmmmm! The strawberry is particularly good.

Thank you, Jose! :)

Sampled?

What? You took a bite out of each one and that was it?

Sampled?

or DEVOURED?

Didn't, you, in actuality, SCARF down both?

:D

Sampled!  

Hmmph!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2005, 01:05:13 PM »

I got some salmon from Seattle last September.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2005, 01:06:00 PM »

That calls for a page 3 dance, don't you think?

Hmmm....this looks like what happens when I tell the PIPPIN ensemble to get into a line and face the front of the stage.  :P

Jason

« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2005, 01:06:41 PM »

Actually, I only sampled them. I just finished lunch and since I'm still recovering from my recent illness, my appetite hasn't been what it normally is. I'll finish them off - believe me, I will.

But no - I did not scarf them down. That would have been unladylike. ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2005, 01:10:11 PM »

Well....the Music Man recording session, since I am being reminded of it's perfection....

BUT - to choose something personal and since I have the Way Back HHW Time Machine....  I would like to have been present at the recording session for Patty Duke Sings Songs from Valley of the Dolls.  I would like to see the hubris of an Academy Award winner, the desperation of solid producing and conducting professionals, and listen to those lovely arrangements - which were a bit like putting a lovely frame on a ten cent painting.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2005, 01:11:24 PM »

Patty's arrangements were by Arnold Goland and her producer was Henry Jerome.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2005, 01:13:25 PM »

Esoterica.

I have a copy of the Julie Andrews album The Lass With the Delicate Air in LIVING STEREO.

My copy shows her standing 3/4 figure in a skirt and blouse holding a small bouquet of flowers.

On Ebay...an album of the same name - said to be the original release - has a yellow cover with Julie in a yellow dress holding flowers.

My album is also copyrighted in the year of the original release.

Does any DR know which of these covers was the ORIGINAL?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2005, 01:14:43 PM »

Are there fresh strawberries in the strawberry cream puffs?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2005, 01:15:22 PM »

DR CP - I bought a VHS  of Mr Harlan Ellison's grand Outer Limits episode, The Demon With the Glass Hand last week for $1.99.

It's my favorite OL episode....Robert Culp is terrific.  And if it comes up in conversation, I think Mr Ellison's choices of names for the aliens...and their planet Kyber and the race itself Kyben...is PERFECT.  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2005, 01:18:11 PM »

Speaking of Grants, I have ceretainly enjoyed the first two episodes of THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW starring Ed Asner as Lou Grant. No wonder he won two consecutive Emmys on this show. He and Mary have this sensational rapport and a give-and-take in dialog scenes that other actors could and should study.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2005, 01:21:55 PM »

It is 75 degrees today!  We had torrents of rain again last night, prompting me to make a trip to the Auto Zone today to buy new windshield wipers.  Now I will be able to see while driving in the rain.   I will not be singing in the rain.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2005, 01:22:30 PM »

My Paris Cast Recording of Les Mis arrived.... how cool is that???

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2005, 01:23:23 PM »

In the second MTM episode, Michael COnstantine played a close friend of Lou's that Lou tries to set up on a date with Mary.

This is the same Michael Constantine who Ed Asner had defeated for Best Supporting Actor at the Emmys the previous year (and who had himself won Best Supporting Actor for Room 222 the previous year). ROOM 222 was still being filmed, I think, so I found that surprising that Constantine would have been available to be a guest star. Wonder if there was any discomfort with the two actors working so closely together in that episode?

Matt H.

« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2005, 01:24:03 PM »

Weather Report:

It is currently 99 degrees outside with a heat index of 108.

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2005, 01:26:19 PM »

I also got around to watching last night's RENO 911! Much funnier than last week's show, and Jonsie's voiceover career was really funny, especially how it ended up.

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2005, 01:30:48 PM »

About TV GUIDE. I totaqlly understand the magazine's need to adapt itself to a wildly changing media marketplace, but a little bit of me is sad to see it go, despite not being anything like it used to be even now.

I used to call my dad on Friday afternoon and remind him to drop by the drug store and pick up a copy (15 cents back then) on his way home so we could have it for the week that started on Saturday in the magazine.

I myself still subscribed so I could get a listing of the shows for the week ahead since the magazines usually came a week before they were actually used.

I worry that with the description of the new TV GUIDE, it sounds just like ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY and US and other weekly magazines that are already serving the need it sounds like it's going to address. But since my subscription still has more than a year to run, I'll get to see how I like it for about 9 months after the changes are instituted (supposedly in October) before I have to decide if I want to continue with it.

Jason

« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2005, 01:38:48 PM »

Weather report in Astoria, NY (my 'hood): 100 degrees with a heat index of 106.

Jennifer

« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2005, 01:39:58 PM »

For those who don't get UPN, I see that CBS will be showing the series Veronica Mars (starting this friday at 8pm).  They will be showing the first 2 episodes (one at 8pm and one at 9pm). I'm assuming they will continue to do this all summer? (does anyone have more info).

As I've mentioned before I started watching this show a couple of months ago (CTV in canada has the rights and started showing it every thurs).  It is fantastic. It stars Kristen Bell as a sort of 16 yr old nancy drew.  She goes to high school and her dad runs a private detective agency.  She solves cases, but there is also an unsolved mystery (her bestfriend was murdered).

Jennifer

« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2005, 01:44:30 PM »

BTW, I have an etiquette question and I'd like to know what you guys think.

My mom has a cousin who she sees a few times a year (at weddings...). He is married and has 2 young children (i think 3 and 1).  He is a different generation than my mom (20 years younger).

Anyhow the cousin's wife was at the shower we threw.  And apparently she was talking with my mom.  She was watching how i was interacting with the children at the party and she commented how her kids would probably love me (i really like kids).  Well somehow they got to talking how she and her husband (cousin's wife and cousin) have a comedy show they want to go to at their pool, but they don't like to use babysitters.  Anyhow somehow they got this idea that they should ask me to watch the kids.

Now here is my question.  If someone asks you to babysit, who is in your extended family (but who you are not particularly close to), do you accept money when they offer it to you.

My first thought was yes (since i didn't offer, nor do i know them that well).  Then my second thought was no.

What is the proper etiquette?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up