Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LAUNDRY LIST  (Read 37928 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE LAUNDRY LIST
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2004, 09:15:40 AM »

Yes, I remember Toller Cranston well. He and John Curry, the great English champion (who is my all-time favorite male skater - world and Olympic champion), dueled throughout the mid-70s. Toller's jumps were inconsistent, but his artistry was astounding. John wasn't quite as artistic as Toller but his jumps were more solid and he did more triples.

The year Toller coached Christopher Bowman was the only two sets of programs I could ever STAND seeing Christopher do. And that was the one year he landed triple axels.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2004, 09:17:33 AM »

Oh my god!  DID Chris Bowman ever do commentary?

I know he coaches now...and he's twice the man he was...if not three times the man.

And he's not wearing those huge fur coats the Russian coaches wear!

True DR RON - he is NOT sylph-like.  I saw him two seasons ago and I thought he was on ABC, but I may be wrong (AGAIN).

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2004, 09:17:34 AM »

DR Ron, finally we have a picture of you back on the forum. Thanks. I'll be using my software that ages faces and add about 5 years to see how you look now.  :)

William E. Lurie

« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2004, 09:18:33 AM »

My source on Michael Weiss was a book I read about five years ago.  I'm at work so I can't look up the name and author, but it was a woman who has written several books on skating.  She interviewed dozens of skaters for the book which was an overview of skating at the time.  Apparently Weiss has never gone on record as being anti-gay, but has made many remarks in private about being staight in a gay sport.  Since this was a few years ago he may very well have either changed his attitude by now or at least shut up about it within earshot of reporters or gay skaters.

I'm still waiting for some replies to my question regarding who DRs (and BK) would like to read a good biography of.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2004, 09:18:34 AM »

Did I get all the questions thus far?

People are still reeling over my triple lutz.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2004, 09:19:16 AM »

Dick Button would NEVER allow Chris Bowman to share the broadcast booth with him.

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2004, 09:20:13 AM »

I have that book, WEL, I think. It's called INSIDE EDGE.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2004, 09:20:32 AM »

I agree with MattH about Christopher Bowman, though I haven't seen pictures of him in forever.  I wonder if his commentary was as colorful as his performances.

I always thought Kurt Browning was adorable, and felt bad that he was never able to medal at the Olympics.

I think I have that book too!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 09:21:24 AM by LC »
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2004, 09:20:37 AM »

I ran a lap around the Olympic Stadium (don't recall the year it was built for).

;D
Wouldn't it have been easier to run a lap around the track IN the Olympic Stadium?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2004, 09:21:04 AM »

Ah yes....Toller Cranston wrote a book called ZERO TOLLERANCE about his ice skating experiences - it's pretty good.

He is also an artist.  Click the link to check out his paintings.

http://www.tollercranston.com/
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 09:21:39 AM by JRand53 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2004, 09:24:19 AM »

Lulu: I don't know all that much Harlow, other than the two movies made about her.  Six symbol-wise, I like  most Marilyn films, especially Some Like it Hot and The Seven Year Itch.

When I do arrangements of songs, I either sit at the piano and figure them out (like intros and rideouts and the layout of the song) or I sit with the musical director and hum what I hear and he notates it.  My favorite story (which I've told here before) is figuring out the "flying ballet" section of I'm Flying/You Can Fly on my Peter Pan album - it came to me full blown while walking down Broadway and I called Todd Ellison from a pay phone and hummed the whole thing onto his answering machine, complete with all the "quotes" from other flying songs (ET, Can You Read My Mind, etc.).  It was hilarious.

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2004, 09:24:43 AM »

I would like to read Toller's book, DR JRand. Thanks for the tip on it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2004, 09:24:55 AM »

DR WEL - Betty Hutton is a good choice.  For ME, I think I would add George Sanders and (obvious choice) Allison Hayes.

Years ago, I read an interview or short "bio" of Gwen Verdon and she talked about having problems with her legs or feet when she was a child and being required to wear special shoes or braces and that really deep-sixed her self-esteem, so much so that she carried that with her for her entire life....  Sad.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2004, 09:26:38 AM »

Wow, congrats everyone on so many posts yesterday!  Sorry to have been E&T...I've been spending a lot of time with my friends who are back from college, and who will be going back on Sunday.  And then on Monday, I start classes again too...*sigh*...(where has the time all gone to?  Haven't done half the things I want to...)

I love watching figure skating, although I can't tell a lutz from an axel.  I'm also shallow and like the pretty costumes.

Hmmm....a question for BK, let me see....are there any musical theatre songs that make you cry?

Dear Reader, Mystical Maya, you may be called many things (Goth, for instance), but I doubt anyone, that knows you, would ever call you shallow!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2004, 09:29:12 AM »

I would like to read Toller's book, DR JRand. Thanks for the tip on it.

It's a good read and a good inside look (not an expose') of the sport, although he names some names.

Harlow....she was so funny in a movie called BOMBSHELL as Lola Burns, a movie star who is supporting a whole family of leeches.  She wants to adopt a baby and the visit from the Agency Representative is hilarious.  

She gets up early to get to the studio, but her father has the limo, her brother has the roadster, and her mother has the station wagon so she has to call the studio to send a car for her!  LOL  ;D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 09:30:53 AM by JRand53 »

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2004, 09:29:31 AM »

I would like to have a full biography on some of the fabled MGM behind-the-scenes folks: Roger Edens, Charles Walters, and also a book on the chorus boys who appeared in all their big musicals. Watching them now in film after film, it must have been a very chummy-club-like atmosphere among those talented dancers. I know they must have a zillion stories to tell of working with all the great star talent at MGM at the time.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2004, 09:30:46 AM »

Dick Button would NEVER allow Chris Bowman to share the broadcast booth with him.
Afraid of being sat upon, perhaps?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2004, 09:32:55 AM »

Oh, and the celeb bio I've been waiting for is out and I have to get it - Mr. Gavin Lambert's biography of Natalie Wood.

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2004, 09:33:17 AM »

He had so little respect for him as a person and skater (though he admitted his talent). His too snooty to share the booth with anyone who couldn't come up to HIS expectations of greatness. He grudgingly allowed Brian Boitano to do commentary with him a few years, but no longer. Now, he does the men's alone and allows Peggy Fleming to commentate with him on the ladies' events.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2004, 09:40:41 AM »

Somebody brought in something called Baby Donuts.  I was so happy to see them that I did a triple lutz.  I took two Baby Donuts so that I could have the equivalent of one adult donut.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2004, 09:57:50 AM »

While DR MattH has addressed this issue, I'm wondering whether it was Joan Crawford or Vera Hruba Ralston that TCB skated with in the movies!

Unfortunately,  I was never able to skate with either lady (limp ankles, a matching set).  I limited myself to dancing with the great Vera-Ellen.  Sadly, last time I saw (or rather didn't see) Vera-Ellen she had turned into Norma Desmond.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2004, 10:05:22 AM »

Whar'd everybody disappear to?  I'm doing triple lutzes here, people.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2004, 10:07:44 AM »

I don't know all that much Harlow, other than the two movies made about her.

May I recommend, Dear BK, that you take a look at Dinner at Eight.  Besides being a wonderful film, the final beat between Jean Harlow and Marie Dressler is absolutely priceless.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2004, 10:09:17 AM »

I'll check it out next time it's on TCM, which I'm sure it is often.  PEOPLE, I am doing triple lutzes here.  I may go for a quadruple lutz in a moment.

Ben

« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2004, 10:12:17 AM »

DR Ron, you look unhappy in your new/old picture/avatar. Did you not want to be photographed that day?

I'll think about the biography question. No one pops into my head (or out of like Zeus) at the moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2004, 10:13:46 AM »

I decided to bypass the quadruple lutz.  I suppose that is called a quadruple bypass.

Ben

« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2004, 10:14:37 AM »

I just got back from a delicious lunch of pastina with sun dried tomatoes and a glass of iced tea. After the pastina I ate an apple. I have to readjust my eating habits, having thrown all good sense to the wind during the England trip. I ate everything put in front of me, including Toad in a Hole, Bubble and Squeak, Bangers and Mash and my favorite Spotted Dick (a la mode even). When the pictures are ready I'll post one or two of them.

MBarnum

« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2004, 10:27:32 AM »

Well, the freezing rain has not stopped in 24 hours! My tree in the back yard is crumbling under the ice, and electricity was out here for about 3 hours...got a bit nippy here!

I have only seen scenes from DINNER AT 8 and I am looking forward to it's release on DVD which I believe is sometime this year! It does show up frequently on TCM.

I don't know from skaters, other then Vera Ralston and the lovely Carol Christiansen. However, I do enjoy watching gymnastics...in fact last time I saw gymnastics on television I was amazed (and not just a little pleased) that all the men were doing their routines shirtless!  ;D    No more wondering, there they were all-out topless!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 10:39:04 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2004, 10:29:05 AM »

Biographies I would like to see: Allison Hayes, of course!

I am hoping that Jacques Bergerac's autobiography will be translated to English and released in the U.S. (which it should be since he had quite a career in U.S. films!)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2004, 10:38:16 AM »

TCB - Gee, I would've been willing to adopt you, too. And then you go and change your mind without even giving me a chance and off you go with bk.  Children are so fickle. No Benicio for you tonight.
Jrand53 - Yes, I've seen Toller's art. Used to see it (and him, actually) all over the place in Toronto.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up