Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THROWING IN THE TOWEL  (Read 25198 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THROWING IN THE TOWEL
« Reply #150 on: October 26, 2005, 01:33:26 PM »

Yes, DR Jennifer, GILMORE GIRLS is a show that I have just never been able to get into. Always has been a critical favorite, but once it started getting lots of kudos from critics, I tried to watch, and it just wasn't for me.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #151 on: October 26, 2005, 01:33:45 PM »

...And now to see what goodies my Dad's sister brought with her...

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #152 on: October 26, 2005, 01:37:05 PM »

Page 6 Lucy-Ricky-Ethel Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #153 on: October 26, 2005, 01:39:03 PM »

THE MADWOMAN OF CHAILLOT was made by Warner Commonwealth.

Matt H.

« Reply #154 on: October 26, 2005, 01:40:23 PM »

So, new network TV for me tonight includes VERONICA MARS and INVASION. LAW & ORDER is a repeat though CSI: NY is a new episode.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #155 on: October 26, 2005, 01:40:48 PM »

Ha ha - by the beautiful sea!!!  LOL.

Off to Greencastle High School to teach the cast of GODSPELL how to sign the song "Day by Day."

I will probably see a few of my PIPPIN kids....always nice to see them and encourage them to audition for the upcoming summer shows!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2005, 01:41:02 PM »

What, nobody could be bothered to go to that license site?  My photo looked rather like a baboon and the page said "Gotcha!"

Tomovoz

« Reply #157 on: October 26, 2005, 01:45:08 PM »

Maybe some one has posted this - I'm catching up.
Tina Turner was not Motown
The Shirelles were not Motown
The Cookies were not Motown

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #158 on: October 26, 2005, 01:45:27 PM »

What, nobody could be bothered to go to that license site?  My photo looked rather like a baboon and the page said "Gotcha!"

My brother got me.  :D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #159 on: October 26, 2005, 01:49:26 PM »

I don't usually use this forum for these sort of things, but I thought this might be of some concern to some of you

Check your driver's license... Now you can see anyone's Driver's. License on the Internet, including your own! I just searched for mine and there it was...picture and all! Thanks Homeland Security! Privacy, where is our right to it? I definitely removed mine, I suggest you all do the same.

Go to the website and check it out. Just enter your Name, City and State to see if yours is on file. After your license comes on the screen, click the box marked "Please Remove". This will remove it from
public viewing, but not from law enforcement.

http://www.license.shorturl.com
<http://www.license.shorturl.com/>  

I much prefer "my" weight on that one to my real license, LOL.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Tomovoz

« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2005, 01:53:16 PM »

You know, I did not realize that The Dovells sang one of my favorite songs, YOU CAN'T SIT DOWN. I just found this out as I am ordering the new Best of The Dovells CD....getting The Orlons' CD also!
Check out the Phil Upchurch version of "You Can't Sit Down"" (1961)?  It predated the Dovells.
I've ordered a few of the Cameo/Parkway sets myself.  The box set released a few months ago is great.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2005, 01:57:59 PM »

Mine looked like a baboon, also. And I am living in the state of Chaos, evidently.

Tomovoz

« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2005, 01:59:22 PM »

I've not been "Dancing at Lacuna".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2005, 02:05:54 PM »

I got this in an e-mail a couple of months ago.  It was real funny when I went there because my friend who sent it didn't forward a previous e-mail that she had gotten, she created a whole new one and sent it out very seriously and very realistically. ;)

As for the Topic of the Day, I, too, don't really know who was Motown and who wasn't, except for the original cast recordings of Pippin and the all Black Guys and Dolls.  But of the songs that have already been mentioned, these are my favorites:

Ain't No Mountain High Enough
Be My Baby
Heat Wave
I Hear A Symphony
My Guy
Stop! In the Name of Love
What's Goin' On?
You Can't Hurry Love
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2005, 02:10:52 PM »

There's that lovely Italian song popularised by Mr Jerry Vale
"Lacune Rosa You're Out Tonight".

There is a "gap" in my French dictionary DtM.. No French words starting with those first three letters.
Your Aunt needs to clean her tablecloth.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2005, 02:10:56 PM »

Well, that just threw us into cinemascope!  Sorry.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

« Reply #166 on: October 26, 2005, 02:16:58 PM »

sad news:

Voice of Jolly Green Giant Dies at 80
Oct 25, 8:17 PM EST

The Associated Press

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. -- Elmer "Len" Dresslar Jr., who extolled vegetables to generations of TV watchers as the booming voice of the Jolly Green Giant, has died. He was 80.

Dresslar died Oct. 16 of cancer, according to daughter Teri Bennett.

Dresslar was an entertainer and singer for nearly six decades. But his voice rang through millions of households when he sang the simple refrain, "Ho, Ho, Ho," in an ad jingle for Green Giant foods.

"His was the most consistent and most frequent voice of the Jolly Green Giant over the years, the one consumers are going to recognize," said Tara Johnson, a spokeswoman for General Mills, which owns Green Giant Co.

Dresslar, a Kansas native, moved to Chicago with his wife in the early 1950s to study voice after touring with a production of "South Pacific." By the 1960s, the Navy veteran had carved out a career singing in clubs, on television and in advertising jingles.

He recorded 15 albums with The Singers Unlimited jazz group and appeared on the CBS television show "In Town Tonight" from 1955 to 1960. He and his wife, Dorothy, retired to Palm Springs in 1991.

Ad jingles were the most consistent part of his career, and he landed roles for Rice Krispies cereal, Marlboro cigarettes, Amoco oil and Dinty Moore canned beef stew.

He periodically re-recorded the "Ho, Ho, Ho" for Jolly Green Giant commercials, most recently about 10 years ago.

Bennett said her father auditioned for the Green Giant job without any idea his baritone would become so recognizable.

"He never got tired of it," she said. "If nothing else, it put my sister and I through college."
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 02:19:25 PM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #167 on: October 26, 2005, 02:20:03 PM »

OK I have to run Laters!!

Matt H.

« Reply #168 on: October 26, 2005, 02:22:57 PM »

I read that about "The Jolly Green Giant" this morning. My goodness, my childhood friends are leaving us much too quickly for my taste.

Matt H.

« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2005, 02:25:11 PM »

If there is time after I watch that MY FAIR LADY documentary, I want to put the new WIZARD OF OZ in a different DVD machine and watch a part of the color portion on my old HDTV. Being a CRT-based set rather than a microdisplay, the colors in Technicolor generally look much mroe saturated than they do on the newer TV.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2005, 02:29:07 PM »

Has not one person on this site listened to this week's radio show?  Does anyone on this site listen to the radio show, because if we're just flapping our wings in the wind, I will stop the show so fast it will make your head spin.

vixmom has written lovely reviews for the Kritzer books on amazon.  Check them out!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #171 on: October 26, 2005, 02:35:40 PM »

Has not one person on this site listened to this week's radio show?  Does anyone on this site listen to the radio show, because if we're just flapping our wings in the wind, I will stop the show so fast it will make your head spin.

vixmom has written lovely reviews for the Kritzer books on amazon.  Check them out!

I listen!  I haven't listened to this week's yet, because I want to devote my full attention to it and not just have it playing while doing something else.  This is a special installment and attention must be paid! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #172 on: October 26, 2005, 02:39:09 PM »

I can't listen to the radio show with a dial-up connection. It starts and then stops while a buffer loads, and then starts again. The starting and stopping is just too distracting.

Matt H.

« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2005, 02:40:51 PM »

Well, I guess it's time to hurry downstairs and do Wednesday's den cleaning. Then, I'll settle in for some good TV/DVD watching.

WBBL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #174 on: October 26, 2005, 02:42:02 PM »

...and the pain in my knee has returned.  :-\

I've taken some more Advil, and may take some more if the pain does not subside.  It feels like something muscular to me, and I'm just hoping it goes away within the next 24 hours - or less.  My mom wondered if it was arthritis... Hmm...  I don't know what arthitis feels like, so...  But I actually put my finger on the pain - literally - so I think it's just from sleeping on it funny/badly.

...But I did have a great lunch - smoked salmon on a bed of field greens with caramelized onion, dried cranberries and chopped dates.  Very good.

Could you have ruined your knee somehow?  

Have you had such trouble before?

I hope it's not something terrible...

Now...think...have you been kneeling on a gravelly surface recently?  On something that might have pinched a nerve?  Did you have the knee on a piano stool at any time when the stool went one way and your knee the other?

Is the knee, itself, sore or is it a localized muscular pain that might indicate a tear or something?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2005, 02:53:31 PM »

Well...

No kneeling.  No catty-wampus piano stool either.  I've never had this pain before.  However, pinched nerve is what I'm thinking...

Steve has a very firm mattress, and I have a feeling that it was a combination of that firmness, the position of my body, the position of my knee, etc., that contributed to my current state of discomfort.

The knee itself is not really sore - it's the area right above it - right where my quads connect to my knee cap.  Also a little bit below my kneecap.  Nothing looks swollen - and I've had a few people look.

I'm trying my best to keep it elevated, but it actually hurts when it's elevated - as opposed to not being elevated.  We shall see...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2005, 02:58:00 PM »

Well...

No kneeling.  No catty-wampus piano stool either.  I've never had this pain before.  However, pinched nerve is what I'm thinking...

Steve has a very firm mattress, and I have a feeling that it was a combination of that firmness, the position of my body, the position of my knee, etc., that contributed to my current state of discomfort.

The knee itself is not really sore - it's the area right above it - right where my quads connect to my knee cap.  Also a little bit below my kneecap.  Nothing looks swollen - and I've had a few people look.

I'm trying my best to keep it elevated, but it actually hurts when it's elevated - as opposed to not being elevated.  We shall see...

There are so many questions I could (I WANT to) ask....  :D

But I prefer to wish you well, hope you feel better, and recommend some chicken soup!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 03:00:18 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2005, 02:58:25 PM »

All through this day, one tune has been circulating:

The merry-go-round broke down,
As we went 'round and 'round.
Each time 'twould miss,
We'd steal a kiss,
And the merry-go-round went...

And made the darndest sound.
The lights went low,
We both said, "Oh!",
And the merry-go-round went...

Oh, what fun, a wonderful time,
Finding love for only a dime.

But you don't see me frown.
Things turned out fine,
And now she's mine,
'Cause the merry-go-round went...

The merry-go-round broke down.

I wonder if it has anything to do with my having received volume 3 of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection yesterday?

I haven't even looked at it yet...so...subliminal persuasion, I guess.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 03:02:04 PM by Ron Pulliam »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2005, 03:07:11 PM »

There are so many questions I could (I WANT to) ask....  :D

But I prefer to wish you well, hope you feel better, and recommend some chicken soup!

Well... Thanks for the well wishes.

If I'm still dealing with this come morning, feel free to ask away.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #179 on: October 26, 2005, 03:10:51 PM »

For a HUGE chuckle, go to the Google page, type in the word "failure", and click on "I'm Feeling Lucky."
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 03:11:35 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up