Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: ZEN  (Read 53778 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:ZEN
« Reply #150 on: February 11, 2007, 01:54:27 PM »

Next, I put in and watched DO NOT DISTURB. It isn't one of Doris' best comedies, but I do like her and Rod Taylor together, so it had its moments.

The transfer is only fair. I didn't think the Deluxe color did much for the flesh tones, but other colors seem OK. It's probably a bit faded.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #151 on: February 11, 2007, 01:56:13 PM »

DR George, you may be interested in this if you didn't already know it.

I think I remember that you bought and enjoyed THIRD MAN OUT, too, and if I'm remembering correctly, you'd probably like to know that the next movie in the series - A SHOCK TO THE SYSTEM - comes out this Tuesday on DVD.

Since my cable system doesn't get the Here! network, I haven't had a chance to see this, but the VARIETY review was every bit as complimentary to it as it was to THIRD MAN OUT. In fact, the reviewer preferred this one a bit more to the first one.

Anyway, I preordered it, so I hope to have it mid-to-late in the week. Really looking forward to seeing the next one.

Matt, you read my mind!  That's exactly what I was just about to ask you about!  I remember reading that "Third Man Out" was supposed to be part of a series (I don't get the Here! network, either), and was going to ask if you new anything about it.  What a coinkydink!  Thanks for the tip...I'll order that DVD RIGHT NOW! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: February 11, 2007, 01:57:43 PM »

The sale was sort of a bust. They went to 80% off on Friday, but people were still lined up to get in today.  All the small appliances were gone, but I did get a reversible down comforter, a quilt, a nice scarf and a couple jewelry jewelry items for future gifts for my niece.  I think I'll give her one of them when I go to see her in Little Shop of Horrors next Saturday.  

It sounds to me like you did quite well, CILLALIZ. I'm not a big shopper myself, but I do enjoy a bargain, and it sounds like you got quite a few.

Matt H.

« Reply #153 on: February 11, 2007, 01:58:25 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page Six Dance!!![/move]

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #154 on: February 11, 2007, 01:59:24 PM »

In a few minutes I'll need to turn my attention back to decluttering. I'm not eager...

My sister was able to tape Oprah's episode from this past week on decluttering and I'm going to watch it today.  I DESPERATELY need to get rid of a lot of my stuff...but, of course, I need to stop talking about it and just do it. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #155 on: February 11, 2007, 02:00:39 PM »

Matt, you read my mind!  That's exactly what I was just about to ask you about!  I remember reading that "Third Man Out" was supposed to be part of a series (I don't get the Here! network, either), and was going to ask if you new anything about it.  What a coinkydink!  Thanks for the tip...I'll order that DVD RIGHT NOW! ;D

Well, we must have had a Vulcan mind-meld or something. Anyway, glad I could help! Really looking forward to seeing the latest saga.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: February 11, 2007, 02:01:14 PM »

Thank you!  Yeah, I figured...what the hey, you know?  Bruce, Adriana, and my mother have heard about Heather, so I thought why not share her with the rest of the Hainsies & Kimlets?

Cute avatar, Cason.

Matt H.

« Reply #157 on: February 11, 2007, 02:01:17 PM »

BK -

I got an error message saying the upload file was full. Please empty. Thanks.

Matt H.

« Reply #158 on: February 11, 2007, 02:03:36 PM »

After finishing DO NOT DISTURB, I went to the special features.

The first one was entitled "The Rise of Doris Day" detailing her years training as a dancer, her car accident, and her studying to be a singer and then singing with various big bands.

Stupidly, Fox hasn't gotten any stills from that period of her life, so they illustrate all the chattering experts with stills and video clips from her three Fox films made late in her career. Dumb!

Matt H.

« Reply #159 on: February 11, 2007, 02:04:18 PM »

The next featurette is on DOris' love of animals, but I merely cued it up, and I'll watch it when I go back downstairs.

Ginny

« Reply #160 on: February 11, 2007, 02:04:21 PM »

Back from errands to Target and Kroger, where everyone had 2 or 3 whiney kids with them.  And the worse the kids whined, the louder the parents yelled at them.  I'm glad to be home.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #161 on: February 11, 2007, 02:06:55 PM »

Coals to New Castle!

Tyler Florence garnishes his BLT with steak!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Cillaliz

« Reply #162 on: February 11, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »

It sounds to me like you did quite well, CILLALIZ. I'm not a big shopper myself, but I do enjoy a bargain, and it sounds like you got quite a few.

Yes, I was hoping to get a good coffeemaker, so that's why I was a bit disappointed, but what I really needed was the down comforter and the quilt, so it worked out for the best

Cillaliz

« Reply #163 on: February 11, 2007, 02:09:09 PM »

Back from errands to Target and Kroger, where everyone had 2 or 3 whiney kids with them.  And the worse the kids whined, the louder the parents yelled at them.  I'm glad to be home.

everywhere I went today the kids were coughing and hacking and many not covering their mouths.  I have a headache and feel another cold coming on, so I avoided Peter and the Wolf.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: February 11, 2007, 02:10:26 PM »

My sister was able to tape Oprah's episode from this past week on decluttering and I'm going to watch it today.  I DESPERATELY need to get rid of a lot of my stuff...but, of course, I need to stop talking about it and just do it. ::)

I spent about an hour and a half on it today and found things I can live quite well without. I play mind games to help me get started--breaking an overwhelming task into small, managable chunks is a favorite. Not nearly so daunting! It helps greatly to be in the mood to TOSS (otherwise, things get moved around but not OUT). Once I get on a roll it's easier and I'm more productive. It also helps to see progress.

But, GEORGE, you emptied your storage locker, did you not? That is a GIANT step forward. A $90/mo. step forward. You probably have more now in your house, but it's still progress!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #165 on: February 11, 2007, 02:13:12 PM »

But, GEORGE, you emptied your storage locker, did you not? That is a GIANT step forward. A $90/mo. step forward. You probably have more now in your house, but it's still progress!

Doesn't that depend on whether or not he can still find his bed?

der Brucer
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 02:25:48 PM by DERBRUCER »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: February 11, 2007, 02:13:48 PM »

Yes, I was hoping to get a good coffeemaker, so that's why I was a bit disappointed, but what I really needed was the down comforter and the quilt, so it worked out for the best

I love down comforters.

Cillaliz

« Reply #167 on: February 11, 2007, 02:14:44 PM »

I did massive decluttering when I sold my place at the lake.  I threw away a lot of things. Some of it I probably could have sold, but I gave away what family and friends wanted and threw the rest in the dumpster. It was so freeing.  I need to do that again. This time I should take the time to do a sale

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: February 11, 2007, 02:16:14 PM »

Doesn't that depend on whether or not he still find his bed?

der Brucer

Well, der BRUCER, you have a point. But I'm assuming that when he gets tired enough he'll find other "homes" for those things.

I'd like to "find" an extra $90/mo.  

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: February 11, 2007, 02:19:57 PM »

I did massive decluttering when I sold my place at the lake.  I threw away a lot of things. Some of it I probably could have sold, but I gave away what family and friends wanted and threw the rest in the dumpster. It was so freeing.  I need to do that again. This time I should take the time to do a sale

I know people who say they've made lots of money on garage sales. I never have--my takings never amount to that much--but it's fun just the same.  Mostly, I like to find good homes for things, whether I make much money or not. At the end of one yard sale, another vendor and I simply traded. That works too!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: February 11, 2007, 02:23:28 PM »

I wonder how the comic book show is going.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #171 on: February 11, 2007, 02:24:27 PM »

Geez -even I had to play householder handyman today!

Last night after we got home from our Grandlad adventures, Woody pointed out a water drop on the ceiling and a wet streak down the wall.

I went up to attic and discovered that there was a condenstae pipe leading from the furnace to a cross-attic drain pipe that was leaking. I put a pan under the drip and postponed further discoveries until this morning. Seems the drain pipe meanders about before going through a hole in basement wall into the side yard. Yard inspection showed that the pipe had a down-turned ending, which shoukld have portested it from freezing up; however, the water dripping from the pipe had formed an eigth inch high cone of ice which had reached the pipe and allowed it to freeze shut. I chipped away all the ice, but had no easy way of thawing the pipe (it was still 19 degrees out); the temperature has risen to 34 and I just checked and the pipe is clear! This had been the first time in the three winters we've been here that the temperatures have remained consistenly below freezing for days at a time.

The fact that the pipes run through the unheated basement doesn't help.

der Brucer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #172 on: February 11, 2007, 02:26:10 PM »

MusicGuy-Thank you for the first photos of spring.

Cillaliz

« Reply #173 on: February 11, 2007, 02:27:04 PM »

I know people who say they've made lots of money on garage sales. I never have--my takings never amount to that much--but it's fun just the same.  Mostly, I like to find good homes for things, whether I make much money or not. At the end of one yard sale, another vendor and I simply traded. That works too!

My mother and her friends had sales twice a year when I was growing up. They had regular customers who were invited to come early etc.  I usually give the usable stuff to friends or Goodwill. I have just never taken the time to do things right for a sale.  Call me lazy, but it's  a lot of work!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: February 11, 2007, 02:32:14 PM »

DR BK

I have some of the pages up and running on www.brucekimmel.com but when recreating one of the pages I started listing the names of the musicians and started to see a pattern in their names. This is from Ennio Morricone Once Upon A Time In The Cinema:

and on violins a host of characters from Hitchcock Films
Margaret Edgar (Marnie)•Frances Stevens (To Catch A Thief)•John Robie (To Catch A Thief)•John Ferguson (Vertigo)•Melanie Daniels (The Birds) Leila Crane (Psycho)•Madeline Elster (Vertigo)•Jonathan Cooper (Stage Fright)•Tony Wendice (Dial M For Murder) Alexander Sebastian (Notorious)•Charles Oakley (Shadow Of A Doubt)•Joseph Newton (Shadow Of A Doubt)•John Jones (Foreign Correspondent)•Carol Fisher (Foreign Correspondent)
and on violas more characters from Hitchcock Films
Lisa Freemont (Rear Window)•Charlotte Inwood (Stage Fright)•Ann Morton (Strangers On A Train)•Michael Armstrong (Torn Curtain)
and on cello even more characters from Hitchcock Films
Jo McKenna (The Man Who Knew Too Much)•Michael Logan (I Confess)•Albert Wiles (The Trouble With Harry)
and Sam Marlove (The Trouble With Harry)

Did anyone notice this before?
Did you have musicians that actually played the instruments and did not want their names on the credits for one reason or another?

You are, surprisingly, the first person to ever realize what we were doing.  That album was from the days when we were using union musicians (our regular LA folks) but doing them non-union (a regular practice by many here in LA) - however, the union had been cracking down and everyone was nervous so for a few albums we did this.  From about 1998 on we did everything union so that was never a problem again.  That is because, after all of my bitching to the AFM, they finally changed their low-budget pressing agreement so that it made sense.  They would, of course, never give me the credit for having led them there, but I'm here to tell you after listening to me berate them for five years, they finally changed it so they didn't have to listen anymore.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #175 on: February 11, 2007, 02:33:35 PM »

Valentines day! A time for PostMark frenzy:

Some are collecting postmarks with a shared theme, including Loveland, Colo.; Valentine, Texas; Kissimmee, Fla.; Romeo, Mich.; and Juliet, Ga.

Hmmm...no mention if Intercourse, PA

der Brucer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #176 on: February 11, 2007, 02:33:50 PM »

Phoenix is not nearly as old a city as the cities back east. But we like to tear down nice old buildings and put up new stucco castles.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #177 on: February 11, 2007, 02:37:17 PM »

Heading down now to clean the guest bathroom and then back to TV viewing.

WBBL.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: February 11, 2007, 02:39:45 PM »

My mother and her friends had sales twice a year when I was growing up. They had regular customers who were invited to come early etc.  I usually give the usable stuff to friends or Goodwill. I have just never taken the time to do things right for a sale.  Call me lazy, but it's  a lot of work!

Yes, it IS a lot of work! One year I handed out flyers to everyone on my block and got 6 or 7 takers, so we did a block sale. We were able to share the work and the expense of taking out an ad, and it also draws more customers. I do think it's the best way to do it, if you have neighbors who are interested.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #179 on: February 11, 2007, 02:45:36 PM »

Every time we move or remodel Keith forces me to de-clutter.  Inevitably I will begin to need items I have just disposed of, in spite of the fact I hadn’t needed said items for years.

I hate getting rid of anything so if the mood strikes me to de-clutter I try to act fast before my brief moment of insanity passes.

After my cousin died & my father & sister (though the rest of the family didn’t admit it) were nearing the end of their lives, I decided I didn’t want to leave my clutter behind when I die.  I began a rampage to clear out my junk.  I had barely made a dent in my de-cluttering when Keith discovered the motivation behind my new behavior.  He became upset & made me stop.  Silly guy, I bet he regrets it now since the junk is still there.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18   Go Up