Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: BK'S BABBLE ON  (Read 36146 times)

MBarnum

Re:BK'S BABBLE ON
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2007, 10:21:03 AM »

Holy mackeral, but it is windy outside!

Cillaliz

« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2007, 10:21:22 AM »

The sun is shining brightly, however, and the ice is stating to fall off the roof, so maybe I'll get lucky and the driveway will melt enough for me to clear it this afternoon.  Although I'm not sure breaking up and shoveling ice can be categorized as lucky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2007, 10:22:46 AM »

Cilla, thanks for the amazon review of MAHH.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2007, 10:23:02 AM »

...And I'm currently cleaning out the espresso maker - which I haven't used in at least two.. maybe even three (four?) years...  -Just running a couple of batches of water through it.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2007, 10:23:05 AM »

I'm on hold with paypal.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: December 02, 2007, 10:23:20 AM »

It's a long hold time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2007, 10:23:42 AM »

Perhaps I'll turn on the heat and get this jernt warmed up a bit.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #127 on: December 02, 2007, 10:26:07 AM »

I had a great time yesterday - at a party for my friend Rosanna's first grandchild. Her husband died going on 21 years ago - you know his work: Columbo, McMillan and Wife, Murder She Wrote... when Richard Levinson dropped dead of a heart attack at 53, his daughter Chrissy was only 15. So, she's all grown up now and married, and totally gorgeous and talented - and a MOM!!! Her mom and I have been friends since 1969 - we used to sing together, wads of musical theater and opera songs and duets - and Wally Harper (may he rest in peace) was our accompanist.

So, the baby boy - Leonid - was born end of August, and yesterday was his Howdy, World party. It was just wonderful - I saw folks I haven't seen in over 20 years. And Leo is a great, calm, easy baby. (His daddy is Antoine Wilson, whose first novel THE INTERLOPER made quite a splash last summer. Good read. I highly recommend it.) Writers' strike means Chrissy gets to stay home with baby a lot.
PennyO

DaNiece

« Reply #128 on: December 02, 2007, 10:26:53 AM »

Hi everyone,

It's raining and cold here so I'm shopping from home. Tree's up, curtains on my front window fell down (more work boo-hoo) and the gifts are almost complete. 'Tis the season.

Has anyone viewed the 'Bodies - the exhibiton'? It's in Pittsburgh until May. My sons and I went in October. I purchased tickets for my sister to go in January--Christmas gift.

http://www.carnegiesciencecenter.org/bodies/

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: December 02, 2007, 10:27:49 AM »

In other news...

Yesterday afternoon, I stopped by the Holiday Market set up just off of Columbus Circle in the southwest corner of Central Park.  A lot of the same vendors that were there last year were back, but they also had quite a few new ones.  And after scouting thing out for about an hour, it looks like I can get almost all of my Christmas shopping done there.  -I just need to double-check some clothing sizes for my nieces and nephew.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #130 on: December 02, 2007, 10:28:53 AM »

I'm going to make tilapia for dinner.  This will be the first time I've cooked it. Any suggestions for something simple, tasty and relatively low cal?

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2007, 10:29:04 AM »

With the rest of my family, I am eagerly anticipating our first of the next litter - my nephew Jesse's (Tami's only child) baby boy, at the end of March or first of April!! I could hardly keep my hands off that baby boy yesterday - oy, I've turned into one of THOSE old ladies...
PennyO

Cillaliz

« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2007, 10:30:07 AM »

Cilla, thanks for the amazon review of MAHH.

Oh, you're welcome, I guess I forgot to mention I had done that  :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2007, 10:30:19 AM »

-Although, I had to wonder about the "wisdom" of this one vendor that was set up there.  They sold gift baskets.  Alas, a bunch of the items they included in their gift baskets were from other vendors at the Holiday Market.  Their booth seemed awfully "lonely".
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2007, 10:30:45 AM »

Perhaps I'll turn on the heat and get this jernt warmed up a bit.

Heat is a good thing.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #135 on: December 02, 2007, 10:30:50 AM »

I'm going to make tilapia for dinner.  This will be the first time I've cooked it. Any suggestions for something simple, tasty and relatively low cal?

Bake it in a glass baking dish, with a little celery, onion, parsley, white pepper, a splash of white wine. I don't use salt, but you might...
PennyO

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2007, 10:31:11 AM »

Well, I was going to suggest giving it a good dredging in cornmeal and flour then frying it, but...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2007, 10:31:36 AM »

I wonder if there is such a thing as tilapia sushi?
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2007, 10:32:29 AM »

And THE early Christmas gift of the season - a 2-hour holiday edition of THE CLOSER which I can't wait to see tomorrow night.

I'm going to catch THE CLOSER later since it's conflicting with LIFE, I do believe.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2007, 10:32:45 AM »

DR Hisaka - It was so nice to see you post again.  And I look forward to your next post.  In the meantime, I hope your LA "adventure" continues to excite and entertain you.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: December 02, 2007, 10:33:09 AM »

DR elmore - Atlanta?!?!?  Did you mean to say Boston?
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2007, 10:34:01 AM »

I wonder if there is such a thing as tilapia sushi?

LOL!  Thanks Penny and Jose for the suggestions.  The frying I know how to do...PennyO's suggestion sounds good

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: December 02, 2007, 10:34:01 AM »

Hmm... Why is all that steam coming up from my espresso maker??!?!?

-Oh... I guess it would to screw the water chamber cap back on before I turn it on.  Oops.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2007, 10:36:49 AM »

Think I'll go back to reading Lincoln's Melancholy.  It's very interesting but is one of those books that tends to make me sleepy....so maybe I'll also nap

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2007, 10:37:05 AM »

I also saw "Enchanted" again last night.  It was the last night it was being shown at The Ziegfeld, and since I really wanted to see it again - and see it on a big screen - I went, and Michael went along with me.  It was his first time seeing it.  I loved it even moreso last time than I did on the first viewing.  There were a few lines I lost the first time due to either the sound issues in the theatre and/or the laughing in the audience (my own included), and it was nice to hear those "details".
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: December 02, 2007, 10:37:09 AM »

DR elmore - Atlanta?!?!?  Did you mean to say Boston?

I was accusing you of being DR edi's "The Gobbler."  Wake up!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2007, 10:37:21 AM »

But first, my treat of the day....and egg nog ice cream sandwich....

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: December 02, 2007, 10:38:10 AM »

I also saw "Enchanted" again last night.  It was the last night it was being shown at The Ziegfeld, and since I really wanted to see it again - and see it on a big screen - I went, and Michael went along with me.  It was his first time seeing it.  I loved it even moreso last time than I did on the first viewing.  There were a few lines I lost the first time due to either the sound issues in the theatre and/or the laughing in the audience (my own included), and it was nice to hear those "details".

I'm jealous! I want to see it again.  I'm back to the bass part now.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: December 02, 2007, 10:38:32 AM »

And for anyone thinking of heading to Rockefeller Center to check out the Christmas Tree...  Just make sure to follow all the "Entrance" and "Exit" signs for a "proper" viewing experience.  Alas, last night, no one seemed to be following those sign.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #149 on: December 02, 2007, 10:39:06 AM »

I am not a DOCTOR WHO watcher either.  I started many years ago....and the production design put me off the show....and I have never looked back, although I know that it is much different now....
Oh, yes it is different!

When it was originally concieved, the show was intended for children almost exclusively.  And the money that went into making the show, or the lack of it, showed.  There were sets that were literally rickety, and special effects that were more talk than anything else.  I've a boxed set of the first three stories ("An Unearthly Child", "The Daleks", "The Edge of Destruction", with a 30 minute condensation of the lost story "Marco Polo") and yeah, you've got to be a real Doctor Who fanatic to get though this stuff these days.

And through the years in the original run, although the production values got better, the belief that the show was kid's programming kept it hobbled.  Towards the end of the run, the head of the BBC made no bones about how he hated the show.

That's what's so not true now.  The people producing the Doctor Who of today are viewing it as family entertainment (Torchwood, in contrast, is regarded as something for the adults), and are pumping the pounds into it - the production values are amazing.  The love for the Doctor and his adventures is quite evident.

What I suggest, for anyone wanting to get into the series, is try renting the First Series - five disc set, with Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper posed in front of the Tardis/police box on the cover.  Watch the first three episodes, to get the feel for the show, and then revel in the two-part "Aliens of London/World War Three", and if that doesn't get you hooked then simply return the set to wherever you rented it and that'll be that.

But I'm betting that most people will be hooked by that point.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up