Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BRAND SPANKING NEW WEEK  (Read 37481 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE BRAND SPANKING NEW WEEK
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2006, 03:50:55 PM »

The great news, that I'll be working on Turkey Day until it is way too late to get to Magic Mommy's place for dinner, means that der B and I will be dining together instead.  Just the two of us.

My solution is that we'll have a turkey breast to roast.  Yep, just the breast, no need for a whole bird for a twosome.  Besides, we've found that the breast does nicely to feed us through two extra meals.

Exactly what I'll be working up as our sides, that's still open for debate.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2006, 03:51:34 PM »

Hey, time for a Page Three Dance!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]TURKEY TROT!!!!![/size][/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2006, 04:20:09 PM »

Tonight, in lieu of turkey, I'm fixing up the chili that I didn't cook up last night.

Nice chunks of stew beef, kidney and black beans, onions, fresh peppers and chili powder (and other stuff).

Yummers!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2006, 04:22:24 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY,
[/b][/color]

DR JASON!
[/b][/color]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ginny

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2006, 04:25:00 PM »

Happiest of birthdays to DR Jason!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2006, 04:27:27 PM »

DR DearReaderLaura - I just read in the November issue of Real Simple that a 20-22 pound turkey should thaw for 4-4.5 days in the refrigerator.

We'll be picking up a fresh turkey on Wednesday.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2006, 04:36:28 PM »

Well, I was supposed to move into my new apartment on either the 14th or 15th; so Friday afternoon (being the 17th) I decided to check out my new abode.  Well, the wood floors have not been put down in the kichen and there is no carpteting installed in any of the rooms; so, I guess it will be after Thanksgiving before I move.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 04:39:37 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2006, 04:37:15 PM »

The paint job looks great!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2006, 04:38:32 PM »

Tonight, in lieu of turkey, I'm fixing up the chili that I didn't cook up last night.

Nice chunks of stew beef, kidney and black beans, onions, fresh peppers and chili powder (and other stuff).

Yummers!

No tomatoes?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2006, 04:43:58 PM »

Goodness, this site, today, looks like Jericho.  Not the ancient city in Israel, but the TV city that barely survived the nuclear attack.  Actually, I guess it kind of looks like either one of the cities.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2006, 04:45:05 PM »

Ladies!  I can't do this alone.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2006, 04:48:50 PM »

I was supposed to leave for Phoenix on Wednesday morning to spend Thanksgiving with an old friend; but because my move is up in the air, I have had to cancel my trip.  So, no surprise phone calls to Laura, Music Guy, or Kerry!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2006, 04:51:16 PM »

Okay, I have only been online for about twenty five minutes, and I am already responsible for 10% of today's posts.  Shameful!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2006, 04:52:40 PM »

I suppose we should blame Jose!
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2006, 04:53:08 PM »

No tomatoes?
No, of course no tomatoes!

That would be heresy.

My way of thinking, chile should reflect the ingredients that were at hand for the cooks on the cattle trails.

I'm pushing it with fresh chilis - they more likely had dried, which they then toasted and ground down (or maybe not).

And "competition" chile never has beans in it.  Although I have to wonder why not, since beans were a staple on the trail.  That's why I'm including beans this time around.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2006, 04:59:19 PM »

Step one: sear the cubed beef in a quantity of bacon fat.  I happen to like the way the bacon fat flavors the dish, and since I'm not including any pork this time, the fat will compensate.  Searing the cubed beef also improves the flavor, by caramelizing the meat.  

I do this over fairly high heat, in batches.  The seared beef is then set to rest on the side, not in the pan.

Meat all seared, I've now turned the heat to low, and added to the pan a yellow onion, roughly chopped, three pasilla chilis, roughly chopped, and three jalapenos, more finely chopped.  I covered the pan, and went to wash my hands.

THIS IS AN IMPORTANT STEP!  Have you ever chopped up a fresh chili and accidentally rubbed your eyes, or your nose, or any other sensative part of your body?  DOING THIS CAN CAUSE INSTANT AGONY!!!  Trust me, I did it once.  The stuff in the chilis that causes the heat can really hurt you.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2006, 04:59:28 PM »

Actually, on a day like today, we need soomeone like François to save our bacon (or tomato).  However, since François has removed his name as a member, I assume he will not be back.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2006, 05:01:04 PM »

THIS IS AN IMPORTANT STEP!  Have you ever chopped up a fresh chili and accidentally rubbed your eyes, or your nose, or any other sensative part of your body?  DOING THIS CAN CAUSE INSTANT AGONY!!!  Trust me, I did it once.  The stuff in the chilis that causes the heat can really hurt you.

Not a time to get frisky!
[/b]
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2006, 05:03:12 PM »

Hey, we may make it to Page 4 yet!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2006, 05:03:43 PM »

Well, not yet.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2006, 05:05:18 PM »

...We still have a way to go.
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2006, 05:07:21 PM »

DR TCB - this is the first I've heard of your impending move.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2006, 05:08:35 PM »

I know that all old guys say this, but I can't believe that it is Thanksgiving so soon!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2006, 05:10:35 PM »

DR TCB - this is the first I've heard of your impending move.

Well, I wish I could say that it was something monumnetal, like a move to New York to pursue my Broadway dreams; but unfortunately it is not nearly so exciting.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2006, 05:11:50 PM »

The way this year has gone for me, I am finding it is best not to announce any big news, until it actually happens.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 05:12:23 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2006, 05:13:26 PM »

It didn't take long for the veg to soften, so I tossed the beef back into the pan, and gave it all a quick stir.  Then I started adding the spices.  Two tablespoons of chili powder.  A tablespoon of oregano.  A teaspoon of ground cumin, the same of red pepper flakes, a large pinch of salt (I can correct that later, if I want to).

And a teaspoon of cocoa powder.  I find it gives the chile an interesting back-note, and cocoa is a traditional ingredient in Mexican moles.

I've also added beef broth, about 32 oz.  Normally, I'd use beer as part of the liquids in the dish, but we don't have any in the house at the moment, other than four bottles of "Midas Touch" from Dogfish Head, which has very mead-like overtones and wouldn't work at all in beer.  I'm saving the Midas Touch to accompany our Thanksgiving turkey.

I'm just going to let that simmer on low for a while.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2006, 05:15:03 PM »

How very sad!  Engelbert Humperdinck (along with the sweater lady) is now making commericals for Staples.
“One thing’s universal,

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2006, 05:21:11 PM »

Have you ever chopped up a fresh chili and accidentally rubbed your eyes, or your nose, or any other sensative part of your body?

As a matter of fact, I have.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2006, 05:21:47 PM »

There was a good thing that happened at work today.  Larry, one of our floor managers, was finally back on the job.

Larry, who is just a couple of days older than I, was out for the last couple of monts taking care of his David, who had some serious heart trouble.  Making things worse was David's family, some of whom don't "approve" of Larry.  The whole business has been a terrible drain on him, getting David back to health and basically running the homestead.  Good thing our company has been supportive during this entire experience.

Well, today was his first day back on the job.  I didn't get too many of the details, but Larry was a little afraid he wouldn't be able to make it through the day - the only physical ailment of his own is gout, which flared up while David was hospitalized, and makes it difficult for Larry to stand.  But he made it through his shift without any real complications.

It's good to have him back.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2006, 05:22:57 PM »

How very sad!  Engelbert Humperdinck (along with the sweater lady) is now making commericals for Staples.
Probably in respect for how he got into his pants back in his heyday.

::)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up