Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A HAPPY CAMPER  (Read 21279 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: A HAPPY CAMPER
« Reply #180 on: April 13, 2011, 08:17:27 PM »

Night, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Cillaliz

« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2011, 08:17:40 PM »

Me, too!  I have been having headaches.  I'm wondering if maybe that was the problem.

Laura

« Reply #182 on: April 13, 2011, 08:18:02 PM »

It is likely.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #183 on: April 13, 2011, 08:21:20 PM »

Night, John.

Ginny

« Reply #184 on: April 13, 2011, 08:21:36 PM »

DR John G - I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #185 on: April 13, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »

Sorry about your friend John G

Ginny

« Reply #186 on: April 13, 2011, 08:27:10 PM »

Richard and I had a delightful time at the Dayton Opera's dress rehearsal for DAUGHTER OF THE REGIMENT.  Our friend Sharon, a chorus regular, was right out front when the curtain went up.  The chorus, all volunteer, was very good and the principles (from out of town) were strong actors as well as singers.  The only weak one was the Duchess, whose character brought her own entertainment to the party.  Is this a typical addition to this piece?  The featured group was the brass quintet from Wright Patterson Air Force Base.  They played the triumphal march from AIDA and, of course, "Off We Go into the Wild Blue Yonder."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #187 on: April 13, 2011, 08:28:01 PM »

DR Cillaliz - YIKES!  I'm so glad you found the problem before it found you!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #188 on: April 13, 2011, 08:30:59 PM »

I had quite a scare this morning.  I was trying to figure out what was causing the water on the basement floor and went into the furnace room.  I looked over and noticed that the vent from the gas water heater was coroded, separated at a joing and had holes in it.   In other words it was venting carbon monoxide into the basement!!    So, I immediately opened windows and called the plumber.  He came out with his handy roll of duct tape and made a few temporary fixes.   I had already decided to get a new water heater (the one here has a 6 year warranty and was installed in 1993).   He gave me a quote, but it seemed a bit high, so I waited until I could get to Home Depot and check out the prices.   I've decided his price is reasonable, so i'll call tomorrow and will probably get it installed tomorrow.  He said they will put in all new venting.  that's a good thing

Oh my!  I am glad you are all safe!  Do you have a working CM detector?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Cillaliz

« Reply #189 on: April 13, 2011, 08:31:12 PM »

Me too, Ginny.  I have had the windows open a lot lately, so that has helped, no doubt.  I'm surprised the cats haven't shown any signs, they spend a lot of time down the basement

Cillaliz

« Reply #190 on: April 13, 2011, 08:32:17 PM »

I had quite a scare this morning.  I was trying to figure out what was causing the water on the basement floor and went into the furnace room.  I looked over and noticed that the vent from the gas water heater was coroded, separated at a joing and had holes in it.   In other words it was venting carbon monoxide into the basement!!    So, I immediately opened windows and called the plumber.  He came out with his handy roll of duct tape and made a few temporary fixes.   I had already decided to get a new water heater (the one here has a 6 year warranty and was installed in 1993).   He gave me a quote, but it seemed a bit high, so I waited until I could get to Home Depot and check out the prices.   I've decided his price is reasonable, so i'll call tomorrow and will probably get it installed tomorrow.  He said they will put in all new venting.  that's a good thing

Oh my!  I am glad you are all safe!  Do you have a working CM detector?

I have one upstairs near my bedroom. I'm going to get more now.  I wasn't as worried about it because I have a relatively new furnace.  Didn't even think about the water heater. 

Laura

« Reply #191 on: April 13, 2011, 08:32:25 PM »

The AC man told us to get a carbon monoxide detector.

vixmom

« Reply #192 on: April 13, 2011, 08:32:51 PM »

Richard and I had a delightful time at the Dayton Opera's dress rehearsal for DAUGHTER OF THE REGIMENT.  Our friend Sharon, a chorus regular, was right out front when the curtain went up.  The chorus, all volunteer, was very good and the principles (from out of town) were strong actors as well as singers.  The only weak one was the Duchess, whose character brought her own entertainment to the party.  Is this a typical addition to this piece?  The featured group was the brass quintet from Wright Patterson Air Force Base.  They played the triumphal march from AIDA and, of course, "Off We Go into the Wild Blue Yonder."

I am very glad you had this opportunity!!

Ginny

« Reply #193 on: April 13, 2011, 08:35:56 PM »

Thanks, DR Vixmom - you sure can't beat the price we paid for tonight's entertainment!

vixmom

« Reply #194 on: April 13, 2011, 08:39:46 PM »

well bed time for this gal   good night all

Ginny

« Reply #195 on: April 13, 2011, 08:39:54 PM »

We stopped for dinner at Panera on the way to the opera and ran into Doogie Howser my cardiologist.  He was bustling around getting food for 2 and was joined by a lovely young woman - wife?  girlfriend?  sister?  colleague?

FJL

« Reply #196 on: April 13, 2011, 08:42:02 PM »

Condolences to JohnG.  :(

Laura

« Reply #197 on: April 13, 2011, 08:43:38 PM »

I hope you were eating broiled chicken and a salad with no dressing, Ginny.

Ginny

« Reply #198 on: April 13, 2011, 08:51:16 PM »

Not quite, DR Laura, but close!  He, on the other hand, was NOT eating heart-healthy.

Ginny

« Reply #199 on: April 13, 2011, 08:56:20 PM »

How did it get to be almost midnight?

'night!

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #200 on: April 13, 2011, 10:45:02 PM »

;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #201 on: April 13, 2011, 10:45:30 PM »

PIRATES  ARRIVED.   ;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #202 on: April 13, 2011, 10:45:50 PM »

Thanks Jane.  ;D

Sam

« Reply #203 on: April 13, 2011, 10:46:47 PM »

Night and sweet dreams.

Really tired, just got home from Pasadena.

Must go.  :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #204 on: April 13, 2011, 10:51:51 PM »

Good Evening!

Well... Another night at the restaurant, another eight hours of filling water pitchers, dropping off plates of food at the tables, and polishing wine glasses... However, it turned out to be "Broadway Diva" tonight. There were a couple of stars in and out throughout the evening. One of them was Vanessa Williams - and she actually remembered me from Carmen Jones at The Kennedy Center. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #205 on: April 13, 2011, 10:52:48 PM »

DR JohnG - ~~~~~VIBES OF UNDERSTANDING AND ACCEPTANCE AND PEACE TO YOU, YOUR FRIEND AND HIS FAMILY~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #206 on: April 13, 2011, 10:53:19 PM »

DR TCB - ~~~~~CONTINUED "DON'T NOBODY BRING YOU NO BAD NEWS" VIBES TO YOU~~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #207 on: April 13, 2011, 10:56:26 PM »

DR CILLALIZ - Whew! ~~~~~NO MORE SCARES VIBES TO YOU~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #208 on: April 13, 2011, 11:07:17 PM »

While I ate my lunch I read Milton Cross' synopsis of Daughter of the Regiment, in preparation for tonight's dress rehearsal.  Am I remembering correctly that this was one of Beverly Sills' early triumphs?

Yes, it was.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #209 on: April 13, 2011, 11:10:02 PM »

Actually, what are your favorite Charles Strouse songs - I may have forgotten something splendid.

BK, if you want to go in a different direction, do you know his opera, Nightingale?  The CD is supposed to be the complete (or near complete) show.  "A Singer Must Be Free" (it's called "An Artist Must Be Free" in the vocal score, which I have somewhere) is a beautiful piece...in my humble opinion. :) You'd need a soprano, though...not a belter.  Sarah Brightman was in the original London cast production and is on the recording.

I remember seeing a production of Nightingale in the Terrace Theater at The Kennedy Center when I was in grade school. -And I just basically remembering seeing it - not really anything about the production. ::)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up