Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ON THE TOWN  (Read 20255 times)

François de Paris

Re:ON THE TOWN
« Reply #150 on: October 20, 2006, 06:03:24 PM »

For fans of one of the greatest singers in ze world... who can travel to Oz... singers AND fans!;-)

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20612673-2902,00.html

Warlow, hauntingly ours again

Alison Barclay, arts editor

October 20, 2006 12:00am
Article from: Herald-Sun

ANTHONY Warlow will return as the lead in Phantom of the Opera, 15 years after his unexpectedly early exit from the role that made him famous.
The Phantom of the Opera -- now the best-selling musical in history -- will open at the Princess Theatre on July 28 next year.

It is the third time round in Melbourne for the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, which played to more than 1.5 million people during its premiere season in 1990-91, and 300,000 in 1997-78.

"When we decided to do Phantom again in Australia we wanted to try to recreate the magic of that first season," co-producer Tim McFarlane said yesterday.

"That meant the Princess Theatre and Anthony. Anthony has been away from a big show for a while now; we weren't having to persuade him too much.

"He is delighted to be coming back and reclaiming the role. For many people, he is the person they associate with Phantom, even though he was in the role for only a year.

"Internationally he was regarded as one of the greatest Phantoms. He is a terrific actor with a sublime voice."

Warlow, now performing with Opera Australia in Sydney in The Pirates of Penzance, would not comment. However, Mr McFarlane confirmed he and co-producer John Frost had signed the singer for a "limited" Melbourne season with the option of a national tour.

Just 29 when he first played the Phantom, Warlow, 45, has earned acclaim in music theatre and operettas such as The Man of La Mancha and, last year in Melbourne, HMS Pinafore.

The Phantom -- a tale of unrequited love played out backstage at the Paris Opera -- had its world premiere in London in 1986. It has played to 80 million people, grossed $4.2 billion and won more than 50 major awards.

Seven productions are playing worldwide; the one now in Singapore will transfer to Melbourne next year in 23 shipping containers and acquire an Australian cast. Auditions will be held in Melbourne and Sydney in December.

"The Phantom is the biggest box office grossing entertainment ever -- bigger than any film, any other show. Nothing remotely comes close to it," Mr McFarlane said.

"The numbers are interesting but really what they say is that this show has enduring appeal to lovers of music theatre."

In 1991 Phantom brought an estimated $200 million to Melbourne in the depths of a recession.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 06:06:10 PM by François »

François de Paris

« Reply #151 on: October 20, 2006, 06:04:09 PM »

And one for Anthony!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #152 on: October 20, 2006, 06:04:58 PM »

...and that I would tape Dr Who (even as I type) for her so we could watch it together after the party.
Oh, you will enjoy this one.  Very romantic, and very sad.

You may have to explain what a "mistress" is, however.

:o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #153 on: October 20, 2006, 06:05:24 PM »

Short clip for the enjoyment of some of us.  ;D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yyNNwgVUhTw&mode=related&search=
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #154 on: October 20, 2006, 06:07:03 PM »

I missed the teaser.... I turnmed on when they flashed 3000 years later...... what disd I miss?
The teaser showed Renette in front of the fireplace, with Versailles in a panic, screams in the background.  She tells her lover that he should be with the queen, then stoops in front of the fireplace and calls for the Doctor.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #155 on: October 20, 2006, 06:08:29 PM »

Now, I must finish dinner preparations.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #156 on: October 20, 2006, 06:08:56 PM »

New documentary on Jim Jones and the Peoples' Temple coming out this month.  Oh my.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #157 on: October 20, 2006, 06:09:14 PM »

Now, I must finish dinner preparations.

Now I'm hungry.  :P

François de Paris

« Reply #158 on: October 20, 2006, 06:13:32 PM »

Hey, but that's Dick York on the clip too, right? :D

François de Paris

« Reply #159 on: October 20, 2006, 06:14:40 PM »

I am making spaghetti sauce.

I know! It's all over the place! ;D

François de Paris

« Reply #160 on: October 20, 2006, 06:15:40 PM »

My luggage just arrived. Now I have laundry to do.

Must be all the spaghetti sauce.... never mind! ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #161 on: October 20, 2006, 06:17:23 PM »

But I still think it's Shelby Flint I hear on the recording of that song!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #162 on: October 20, 2006, 07:06:10 PM »

Hey, but that's Dick York on the clip too, right? :D

No, but close - it is the second Darrin Stephens, Mr Dick Sargent.  He was really the STAR of the movie although Pat Boone sings the title song and does some really funny bits in the show.  

Not on video, but I am hoping sooner or later it shows.  Of course WB gives us A SUMMER PLACE now that Sandy and Troy can't do a commentary.  :P

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: October 20, 2006, 07:26:04 PM »

Back from a lovelier than lovely repast which, I suppose, is better than a represent or refuture.  The food was spectacular - I had a caesar salad, fried chicken (ab fab), and we ordered mac and cheese for the table, and that, too, entered the pantheon of great mac and cheese.  I ate way too much food, but it WAS my only meal o' the day, so I guess I'm okay.  For dessert I had a peanut butter tart, which was also spectacular, to put it in the vernacular.  The restaurant was lovely, but the clientele young and heinously loud.  But, the evening was wonderful and it was grandly grand to see Ye Olde FJL and Skip again, and elmore, too.  We dished the dirt plenty, that much I'll tell you.  

FJL

« Reply #164 on: October 20, 2006, 07:34:13 PM »

Skip's turning on the new dishwasher to wash away all the dish that was dished during dinner; I suspect an extra cycle may be needed to wash away such quantities of dish.  

Actually, it was a truly delicious dinner, with lovely conversation, at one of my favorite neighborhood restaurants, but I'll agree that the noise tonight was heinous - and someone at the next table had a particulalry heinous (or is it hyena-ous) laugh.

FJL

« Reply #165 on: October 20, 2006, 07:35:34 PM »

Isn't the word "heinous" loads of fun?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #166 on: October 20, 2006, 07:48:00 PM »

Or if have the patience to let it download, the very very very funny ............... My Big Deck.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eQd2Ztoq_Gw

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #167 on: October 20, 2006, 07:50:48 PM »

Back from a lovelier than lovely repast which, I suppose, is better than a represent or refuture.  The food was spectacular - I had a caesar salad, fried chicken (ab fab), and we ordered mac and cheese for the table, and that, too, entered the pantheon of great mac and cheese.  I ate way too much food, but it WAS my only meal o' the day, so I guess I'm okay.  For dessert I had a peanut butter tart, which was also spectacular, to put it in the vernacular.  The restaurant was lovely, but the clientele young and heinously loud.  But, the evening was wonderful and it was grandly grand to see Ye Olde FJL and Skip again, and elmore, too.  We dished the dirt plenty, that much I'll tell you.  

A peanut butter tart???  What was her name?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

FJL

« Reply #168 on: October 20, 2006, 07:56:32 PM »

To go along with the peanut butter tart, the menu also featured a fallen chocolate souffle.

François de Paris

« Reply #169 on: October 20, 2006, 08:09:32 PM »

No, but close - it is the second Darrin Stephens, Mr Dick Sargent.  He was really the STAR of the movie although Pat Boone sings the title song and does some really funny bits in the show.  

Not on video, but I am hoping sooner or later it shows.  Of course WB gives us A SUMMER PLACE now that Sandy and Troy can't do a commentary.  :P

Sorry! Always get my Dicks confused!
(I hope TCB's not reading this!! :D)

François de Paris

« Reply #170 on: October 20, 2006, 08:15:21 PM »

Or if have the patience to let it download, the very very very funny ............... My Big Deck.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eQd2Ztoq_Gw

BUT I NEVER get my DECKS confused! Ah!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #171 on: October 20, 2006, 08:17:14 PM »

Spent the first part of my evening watching the new transfer of THE MALTESE FALCON. COuldn't be more silky clean and sharp. The movie still plays like gangbusters and represents career high spots for a good many people.

I'm wondering when Oscar voters marked their ballots for Mary Astor in THE GREAT LIE as Best Supporting Actress (and she is wonderful in that film), didn't also have her work in THE MALTESE FALCON on their minds. What a year 1941 was for her!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

François de Paris

« Reply #172 on: October 20, 2006, 08:19:15 PM »

To go along with the peanut butter tart, the menu also featured a fallen chocolate souffle.

Fallen from grace?!

Ah, Grace WAS her name! ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #173 on: October 20, 2006, 08:20:13 PM »

I put in the old transfer of THE MALTESE FALCON to compare it with the new transfer. Oh, my what a difference! The old is sharp enough but has lots of specks and flecks in the image. The new one is pristine, as good a job as CASABLANCA in terms of getting rid of all the debris and making it look silky smooth.

François de Paris

« Reply #174 on: October 20, 2006, 08:21:44 PM »

Spent the first part of my evening watching the new transfer of THE MALTESE FALCON. COuldn't be more silky clean and sharp. The movie still plays like gangbusters and represents career high spots for a good many people.

A SILKY CLEAN TRANSFER is the title of my next book of human psychology! Yep!

Matt H.

« Reply #175 on: October 20, 2006, 08:21:47 PM »

Next, I put on BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. Having watched THE LITTLE MERMAID earlier in the week, I was anxious to revisit this one again after many years. Didn't quite get to the end of it (only got through "Human Again"), but I'll finish it tomorrow. Certainly did enjoy it again after such a long time away.

Michael

« Reply #176 on: October 20, 2006, 08:22:45 PM »

I don't usually say things like this but...

I think Michael Barnum's avitar is real sexy.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #177 on: October 20, 2006, 08:23:27 PM »

Next, I watched the second episode of the new game show 1 Vs. 100. Lots of fun seeing the questions and putting myself to the test. There was only one question tonight I would have missed.

Matt H.

« Reply #178 on: October 20, 2006, 08:24:55 PM »

LAW & ORDER based the case tonight on one of NBC's own ploys for programming: the DATELINE traps to catch sexual predators. Interesting case since it ended up being the producer of the show who was put on trial for murder.

Michael

« Reply #179 on: October 20, 2006, 08:28:52 PM »

Regarding Project Runaway I looked at my posting from last week and I was correct.

One of two scenarios stated that he would be allowed to participate but the shorts were out.

I did not mention the wigs because I didn't want to give too much away.

I am really glad that Jeffrey won and Laura ate his dust.

But it really is the way the show was edited that really showed here in such a awful light. Her own fault I guess. Didn't any one tell what she was doing?

Also everyone called her a b*tch but I really saw her more as an ugly name for a part of a woman's anatomy. Sorry to all the other women out there.

I would really love to see all the unaired footage.
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up