Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MAN WITH THE GOLDEN BOOKWORM  (Read 21204 times)

Tomovoz

Re:MAN WITH THE GOLDEN BOOKWORM
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2004, 03:30:35 PM »

DR WEL: I look forward to reading and enjoying  your reviews but think I may have missed one. Did you review the "YES" concert?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2004, 03:35:10 PM »

I will remind, but just know there will be new entries daily until she leaves the show.

I got a lovely surprise from dear reader MBarnum.  Thanks, can't wait to watch.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2004, 03:46:09 PM »

From now on I shall greet one and all with "Shakalaka, baby!"
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 03:54:10 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2004, 03:51:35 PM »

PAGE FOUR!

SHAKALAKA, BABY!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 03:53:21 PM by Panni »

Jed

« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2004, 03:51:46 PM »

Hello all.  Currently enjoying our second thunderstorm in as many days here in central Washington.  Loves me a good thunderstorm.  Today's not as heavy as yesterday's, though... yesterday was a biblical deluge for a little while... quite fun.

As for the topic d'jour, I don't have an addictive personality.  If anything, I'll go on binges on something or another for a couple days or weeks at a time, but then that's it.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

MBarnum

« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2004, 03:52:45 PM »

Yes, "Shakalaka Baby" is a popular song from a fairly current Bollywood movie...can't recall which one at the moment but I do have the CD soundtrack that it is on.

I have not heard the soundtrack to Bombay Dreams yet so I don't know if any of the other music is Bollywood like or not. A lot of people don't seem to like it but I understand it is being revamped.

Jed

« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2004, 03:55:36 PM »

I finally caught up with the DVD of Camp last night.  Having heard so much about it (mostly good, some bad) over the past year, I was rather interested to see it.  My reaction... blecch.  A few nice little moments, sure, but all in all, I found it to be a rather uninspired movie that I have no desire to see again.  I normally don't buy movies unless I've already seen them, but this was on a bargain rack so I took a shot... learned my lesson there.  Oh well, my sister will probably enjoy it, so I think I inadvertantly bought her birthday present a couple weeks in advance! :D

Panni

« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2004, 03:56:28 PM »

Mea culpa. I was one "ka" short on shakalaka - but have rectified the egregious error.
(me culpa shakalaka -- nice beat!)

Jed

« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2004, 04:44:11 PM »

Tarnation?

Jennifer

« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2004, 05:04:10 PM »

DR Jason, "Shakalaka Baby" was the number they performed on Good Morning America.  Thanks so much for clearing everything up.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2004, 05:25:55 PM »

Tarnation?

Without it, our lives would be as shaky as a fiddler on the roof.

Panni

« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2004, 05:33:51 PM »

Without it, our lives would be as shaky as a fiddler on the roof.

Funny.

Speaking of tarnation, where in ... is everybody? It's 5:30 PST. Do you know where your posters are?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2004, 05:57:28 PM »

I was eating dinner.  

Jane

« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2004, 05:58:51 PM »

Dan-in-toronto, cute. :D

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2004, 06:05:26 PM »

Addictive personalities?

I have some very close friends. The wife has cancer, the husband smokes like a chimney. He makes an effort to smoke in another room, but they're in an apartment and all the rooms are connected by vents. They're deeply in love. She says he can't help himself - he has an addictive personality (and emphysema).

Not that I should talk. My partner, the sweetest guy in the world, has an addictive personality. I may worry, but there's nothing I can say.

Me? I go a little nuts when it comes to mangoes. I once turned a shade of orange. But that's about it. Okay, persimmons too.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2004, 06:12:05 PM »

Wherre in tarnation is td today?  I was rather curious what addictions he might have.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2004, 06:14:49 PM »

I finally caught up with the DVD of Camp last night.  Having heard so much about it (mostly good, some bad) over the past year, I was rather interested to see it.  My reaction... blecch.  A few nice little moments, sure, but all in all, I found it to be a rather uninspired movie that I have no desire to see again.  I normally don't buy movies unless I've already seen them, but this was on a bargain rack so I took a shot... learned my lesson there.  Oh well, my sister will probably enjoy it, so I think I inadvertantly bought her birthday present a couple weeks in advance! :D

Why son, you mean lust is not considered an addiction?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2004, 06:39:21 PM »

Dan-in-Toronto, are your friends young?  That is sad.

So true, you can’t do anything about it.  My aunt had emphysema and didn’t stop smoking until she went on oxygen.

François de Paris

« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2004, 07:05:14 PM »

Thank you very much, dear kimlets, for all your wishes on my Bday!

Did not do anything special to celebrate apart from going to the movies at 9:00 am and the choice was:

Starsky & Hutch, the movie or,
Troy.

I did not feel like watching men in skirts -- even though one of them is Brad Pitt, so I opted for the light fluffy stuff...

It made me feel like a teenager -- again?! -- which might have been what I was looking for...

Now, the night before, I treated myself to theater -- I love theater and I wish my budget would allow me to go there more often...

Saw a French adaptation of Driving Miss Daisy -- with a cast of a thousand!!
Very enjoyable; I had fond memories of the great film adaptation... The only rub is that our Daisy is mostly known for being a comedian -- she even was the French voice for Miss Piggy from Muppet Show fame -- and, even though her acting was good, I kept expecting her to be funny! Wrong casting, I guess... at least in my opinion.

The actor playing her son, a sort of French Stubby Kaye, was just perfect, and the black fellow was also right on!

Addiction(s)?

Oh, like most of you here, I love to buy cd's, and my place is turning into a music shop! I buy around 6 or 7 new titles per week, at second-hand stores though, and also get stuff for other Dear Readers of this site to exchange...

Well, I second whoever said that Dear Reader TCB's first post was quite moving. Like Dear Reader SWW when he talks about dogs, or Dear Reader Jose when he expressed once what HHW meant to him, you sure have a way with words Mr TCB.....

Jane

« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2004, 07:14:04 PM »

François de Paris thanks for the birthday update.  I was wondering.  Two days of celebrating is nice.  Was that an error or are your movie theaters really open at nine in the morning?

Jed

« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2004, 07:15:45 PM »

Why son, you mean lust is not considered an addiction?

Ha!  Good point... maybe I am an addict after all.  Hard part is getting the others to share my addiction. :D  Also, as many others have said, I am rather addicted to this little web community we have here.  Even on days when I may not post (or very rarely don't read for the day), there is always a time or two during the day when I think of some person, topic, whatever, pertaining to HHW.

As for the recent HHW addiction-of-choice, I just played my first game of the dreaded Bookworm.  Scored 242,240 which placed me in the Archivist category.  Best word was "taverner" for 3,000 points.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2004, 07:23:33 PM »

Do you know where your posters are?

Yes, DR Panni, I do know where they are:  hanging on my walls!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jed

« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2004, 07:28:31 PM »

Yes, DR Panni, I do know where they are:  hanging on my walls!

Must... not... groan!!!

Jane

« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2004, 07:40:17 PM »

;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2004, 07:53:15 PM »

Jed: Totally agree on Camp.

Now, might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  Things have slowed to a crawl, man, and I need more posts, man, because I've got a hainsie/kimlet on my back, man, and just what does everyone think they're doing with this unseemly errant and truant behavior?  Feed my addiction people.

Just back from having a sandwich with our very own Tammy Minoff.  She sends her love to one and all and also all and one.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2004, 07:56:23 PM »

And one for Mahler.  And may I just say that my Sky High Corned Beef sandwich was appalling?  Jerry's Deli, ladies and germs, on their way to oblivion.  The sky high is corned beef on rye with Russian dressing and cole slaw on the sandwich.  I kid you not when I tell you that a) the rye bread was cut so thin it fell apart, b) that there was one STRAND of cole slaw (literally) on each half of the sandwich, and such a small amount of Russian dressing you couldn't even see it.  The waiter, rather than taking it back, simply brought me some cole slaw and Russian dressing so I could make the sandwich myself.  If I'd wished to do that I would have bought the ingrediants to go.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2004, 08:06:45 PM »

I am a chocoholic, and find most days I must have my fix...Thankfully, it doesn't take much to satisfy me, but I end up having a little something chocolate just about every day.
I suppose the "Chololat" section of the American in Paris ballet wouldn't be substantial enough.  And after a while you'd crave variety.

:-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2004, 08:10:08 PM »

And one for Mahler.  And may I just say that my Sky High Corned Beef sandwich was appalling?  Jerry's Deli, ladies and germs, on their way to oblivion.  The sky high is corned beef on rye with Russian dressing and cole slaw on the sandwich.  I kid you not when I tell you that a) the rye bread was cut so thin it fell apart, b) that there was one STRAND of cole slaw (literally) on each half of the sandwich, and such a small amount of Russian dressing you couldn't even see it.  The waiter, rather than taking it back, simply brought me some cole slaw and Russian dressing so I could make the sandwich myself.  If I'd wished to do that I would have bought the ingrediants to go.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

When you have Art's so close by, why would you even think of going to Jerry's?  I have never understood Jerry's popularity; the quality of the food there has been marginal, at best, each time I've sampled it.  Art's isn't cheap, but at least the food there is good.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 08:10:56 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

François de Paris

« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2004, 08:11:21 PM »

Dear Reader Jane,

Yes, a lot of movie theaters in Paris have early showings EVERY day. Paris is a city for movie lovers. There's an average of over 300 different movies -- any language, any country! -- to choose from on any given day...

And tickets sold before noon are cheaper!

Tomovoz

« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2004, 08:16:15 PM »

Back from "Tarnation" for a few minutes.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up