Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: NAMELY JULY  (Read 17428 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:NAMELY JULY
« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2005, 07:54:07 PM »

I also watched ROSE MARIE which I had recorded on the DVR on Wednesday during TCM's birthday tribute to Nelson Eddy.

I had forgotten that I had scheduled ahead of time Marie Dressler in MIN AND BILL to record overnight last night, so I have that to look forward to tomorrow. I don't think I've ever seen the entire thing, just excerpts.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2005, 07:56:41 PM »

Media Check:
Cd Player-A Tale of Two Cities, Bat Boy, Parade (BB and Parade are recent acquisitions)

I am currently at home resting up for a week after surgery on an ingrown toenail that went crazy. No pain just have to wait for it to heal up. A camp with lots of mud, dirty children, and little free time is not a good place to heal. If it were up to me, I would be back there on Monday.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2005, 07:58:03 PM »

Luther Vandross! OMG! I knew his health had been up and down during the last few years, but I had no idea he was near death.; I'm so sorry to read this.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2005, 07:59:49 PM »

The storms that hit DR Ginny yesterday hit just as we were having our end of week party with the kids at camp. Tons of thunder and lightning and screaming children every time lightning struck nearby, but it brought a very welcome cool down after being 90+ degrees for about 10 days or so.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2005, 08:00:41 PM »

12 hours in a car, even with someone you love, well, I just couldn't imagine anything worse. But I'm not a car travel person at all. All those car trips when I was a little boy are the reason it's so awful for me now. We drove to NYC and back at least twice a year starting when I was 8 up until about 16; then I started demanding we go by plane and thankfully, my aunt and uncle agreed).

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2005, 08:02:56 PM »

We had a horrific storm blow through here tonight around 6 p.m. Knocked out power for a few minutes and left most of the house LCDs blinking. I hate it when that happens!

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2005, 08:03:40 PM »

Well, I've done all the posting damage I can do for one night. I guess I'll head for bed.

More tomorrow.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2005, 08:27:52 PM »

I'm spending a whirlwind weekend right here at haineshisway.com.  You won't get any of this errant and truant bushwa from me, baby.  I'm here for the duration.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2005, 08:28:26 PM »

I may just take a Jacuzzi tonight - haven't done it in a week or so.  Could be - who knows.

Jason

« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2005, 08:56:31 PM »

How 'do, ladies and gents. Jed, thanks for the welcome back - it's good to see you again!

It's 11:53 in the p.m. and according to the weather reports, its supposed to be cool right now. Well, it ain't! Right now it's 75 degrees with 88% humidity. 88%!!! The carpet in my bedroom is actually damp because of the humidity. It's disgusting and I'm over it. I'm supposedly getting an air conditioner on Tuesday, so hopefully the heat situation will be cleared up soon.

"War of the Worlds" was actually a pretty good flick. It's one of the first truly satisfying movies I've seen in a long while. It was worth the money.

Laura: Sorry you're having a bad day. I understand. I had to put myself to bed because I was in such a foul mood. It's too hot to suffer fools - gladly or otherwise. I'm a person who needs alone time in order to truly enjoy having other people around. Well, between work and having three roommates (I'm including the boyfriend of one of my real roommates), I never get a minute to myself and it's driving me insane. My level of grumpy goes up 1000% the second I walk in the door and see someone in the living room. So I went to bed at 7:30. My dad called at 10:00, so I pulled myself out of the pool that was my bed and had some dinner and now I'm catching up on email and things. And that's been my night.

MBarnum

« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2005, 09:03:56 PM »

DR Jason, I will also add my "welcome back," it is good to see you here again!

MBarnum

« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2005, 09:06:55 PM »

TROCADERO (1944) was sort of a cute movie...but it had some fantabulous 1940s swing and big band music...which is odd since most of the film takes place in the early 1930s.

MBarnum

« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2005, 09:07:27 PM »

BK, have you watched any more of the musicals from that big 50 movie pack?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2005, 09:09:16 PM »

Laura: Sorry you're having a bad day.

I didn't have a bad day. I was just cranky from being in the heat all day. It's annoying when things are all scheduled, and then other folks don't come through as promised and then we are all messed up.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

MBarnum

« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2005, 09:44:01 PM »

Where is everbody??

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2005, 09:55:57 PM »

Where is everbody??

I'm here, just eating dinner...left-over spaghetti and meat sauce from my parents from Wednesday.  It's quite tasty, and I still have enough for one more meal.  Tomorrow, definitely.  I don't want this to wait around for much longer. :P But for now, it's good.  And after that will be some pudding (prepackaged cups, but also quite tasty!) ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2005, 10:00:28 PM »

Oh, Mike (MBarnum)!  I received your pictures today!!  Thanks!  Your pictures at the restaurant turned out much better than mine!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2005, 10:12:08 PM »

Also in the mail today, I received the movie soundtracks to "Doctor Dolittle" and "Bye Bye Birdie."  I've never had these on CD and since I was eligible to get some free CDs from the BMG Music Club, I chose these. ;D

For the rest of the Topic of the Day:

In my CD player at work:  Disc one of three of a radio show that Tim Hauser of The Manhattan Transfer did in 1982!  They were sent to me from this guy who lives in Utah that I trade TMT stuff with.  I'm making booklets for him and he gives me copies of the CDs.  I think it's a fair trade!

In my DVD player (from Netflix):  "Gay Games VI:  Sydney 2002:  Under New Skies:  Disc 1."  I turned in one movie yesterday and haven't received the next ("Name of the Rose" for my roommate) and I also have out "Latter Days" about a Mormon boy who comes out in California...and it has a happy ending (but not without a lot of angst).  The problem with "LD" is that I have no idea where it is!  I think it's somewhere buried in my bedroom, but I haven't been able to find it. :-\ I figure as long as I keep it, I don't have to pay for it...yet.

George

« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2005, 10:14:13 PM »

Well, I have to leave for a while.  I have to pay my bills and most of them I pay on-line.  Since I got paid yesterday, this is a good time to do it. ;)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #139 on: July 01, 2005, 10:33:30 PM »

I am not feeling well this evening.  Fortunately, I had the night off from 42nd Street.  I left work at noon, came home and went to bed, got up and checked my e-mail, and went back to bed.  Now, I think I will have some juice, and go back to bed.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2005, 10:41:07 PM »

Did Peggy Sawyer take your place TCB? hope you feel much better very soon.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #141 on: July 01, 2005, 10:41:14 PM »

Normally, I would stay around and create my own mini-frenzy, but I just don't have the energy tonight.  We have a long rehearsal tomorrow, starting at 10:00 a.m.  I must say that 42nd Street has already given me a new appreciation of the hard-work and the talent required by those who tap dance.  No, I am not doing any dancing myself (no director is that stupid), but just watching them work has been an education.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #142 on: July 01, 2005, 10:42:35 PM »

Did Peggy Sawyer take your place TCB? hope you feel much better very soon.

No, but I wouldn't mind taking her place in a couple of the scenes!

« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 10:46:00 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2005, 10:55:32 PM »

Thanks to MBarnum for the Portland photos and the strange motion picture on DVD.  Yes, I've watched a few more of the musicals - saw The Fabulous Dorseys, which is mildly enjoyable (one of the reasons it's only mildly enjoyable is the fact that the two Dorseys are played by the two Dorseys, who are both really bad as actors).  Some nice music, and a wonderful and large role for my muse Margaret's dad, Dave Willock.  Directed by Alfred Green, who would do better with the similar Jolson Story.  Also watched Sunny, which has some nice Kern/Hammerstein songs (including the hit, Who), but is completely strange and surreal.  I liked Anna Neagle okay, and Ray Bolger does some terrific dancing.  Am now watching Calendar Girl, a Republic musical with some fun numbers.

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2005, 10:55:45 PM »

I guess you'd do anything to please Mr Marsh.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 10:56:11 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2005, 11:08:00 PM »

My bills are all paid (or at least will be when the charges go through).  But I'm done with doing them...until next month. :P

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2005, 11:40:16 PM »

Good Evening!  Good Morning!

Well... It's just past 2:30am here on the East Coast... and my train to Penn Station leaves at 6:20am...  -You do the math.

:-\

In any case...

Since I had prepped and packed earlier this afternoon, I decided to to have a nice night out.  Dinner and a movie.  I called Andy up, and he was also up for a night out too.  -Andy's father went into the hospital a few days ago.  His doctor's have told them that it was either "emphysema" or "mild congestive heart failure" (how can heart failure be mild?).   Some choice, huh?  His father's condition has stabilized, but I just wanted to see if Andy needed a little break from his hospital watch.  He did.

We ended up having dinner at "The Tavern" in Great Falls.  Nice place.  Good food.  Very family friendly.  Our waiter, however, was a little erratic, for lack of a better word.  After a while, our dinner entertainment became watching the faces at the other tables that our waiter was waiting on each time he made a mistake or seemed oblivious to their, "Excuse me!".  But my meatloaf was very tasty, and Andy devoured his Cobb Salad.

For the movie portion of our evening, we settled on "Bewitched".  Very cute.  A good movie, not a great one.  And the last third just seems to fall apart and ramble.  A good ten to fifteen minutes could have been easily cut out.  However, Shirley MacLaine really does a nice job of chewing the scenery - on purpose - and the supporting does a nice job too.  -Even if some of them just suddenly disappear from the movie.  Some nice laughs, and the ending sequence ties things up nicely.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2005, 11:42:01 PM »

Once I got home, I decided for some unknown reason to clean my bathroom.  So, I Scrubbing Bubbled the tub and basin.  Then I proceeded to finish packing everything.  Thankfully, I finally found the medium-sized luggage with wheels on it.  And once I found that, I repacked everything in there.  Then I tidied up my room, and now...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2005, 11:44:55 PM »

DR MBarnum - Have a great time at Lake Merwin.  I seem to recall visiting there when my family lived in Seattle.  Nice views of Mt. Saint Helen if I'm remembering correctly.

And don't forget your camera!  Take pictures!  Lots of pictures.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2005, 11:45:41 PM »

DR TCB - Hope you wake up feeling bright-eyed and bushy-tailed!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up