Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: PROMISES, PROMISES  (Read 22237 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:PROMISES, PROMISES
« Reply #210 on: January 22, 2004, 08:24:05 PM »

In honor of Miss Ann Miller, I'll have to think of a DVD or laserdisc or tape to watch tomorrow. I just watched THE OPPOSITE SEX a couple of weeks ago, ON THE TOWN last week. Maybe KISS ME KATE or HIT THE DECK.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #211 on: January 22, 2004, 08:29:00 PM »

Good night.

MBarnum

« Reply #212 on: January 22, 2004, 08:30:30 PM »

In honor of Miss Ann Miller, I'll have to think of a DVD or laserdisc or tape to watch tomorrow. I just watched THE OPPOSITE SEX a couple of weeks ago, ON THE TOWN last week. Maybe KISS ME KATE or HIT THE DECK.

I vote for HIT THE DECK!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #213 on: January 22, 2004, 08:35:39 PM »

If I had a husband as good looking as Jane's, I would say goodnight early, also.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #214 on: January 22, 2004, 08:38:17 PM »

If a record player with different speeds was released to the public by Victor in 1952, would it be safe to assume that studios and such might have had something similar a couple of years earlier?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

td

• td
« Reply #215 on: January 22, 2004, 08:39:20 PM »

Perhaps you should whip out your THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT collections. . .

I just watched "Gotta Hear that Beat," and decided to plop in the dvd of KISS ME, KATE. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #216 on: January 22, 2004, 08:41:10 PM »

I was leaning greatly toward HIT THE DECK actually, so that's what it'll be. I'll be in all day tomorrow so I should be able to get a lot of movie watching accomplished. (It helps that MONK is the only thing of worth on Friday night TV.)

Matt H.

« Reply #217 on: January 22, 2004, 08:42:41 PM »

Well, I have SMALL TOWN GIRL on videotape, but it's not a particular favorite of mine even with Ann's solo and Bobby Van's hoppity "Take Me to Broadway."

td

• td
« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2004, 08:43:52 PM »

DR Matt:  Before YOU hit the sack, and the deck (not loaded, of course) you might want a little bedtime reading:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/review/dvd-video_8/planetoftheapes_se.html

td

• td
« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2004, 08:45:32 PM »

Well, I have SMALL TOWN GIRL on videotape, but it's not a particular favorite of mine even with Ann's solo and Bobby Van's hoppity "Take Me to Broadway."

Can't go wrong with Farley Granger, whom I saw in the final installment of the Talley Saga on B'way.  I missed 5th OF JULY, but saw TALLEY'S FOLLY in NYC; TALLEY'S FOLLY is being done by Open Stage Theatre - - NEXT season.

Matt H.

« Reply #220 on: January 22, 2004, 08:46:46 PM »

Thanks, DR td, for that review reference. I would have seen it tomorrow when I visit that site (every weekday morning like clockwork), but I'll read it now.

td

• td
« Reply #221 on: January 22, 2004, 08:55:44 PM »

Thanks, DR td, for that review reference. I would have seen it tomorrow when I visit that site (every weekday morning like clockwork), but I'll read it now.

that's what friends are for. . . . :-*

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #222 on: January 22, 2004, 09:08:28 PM »

JAY-

Just curious about Citibank-What would your % be after(if you do) refinance??

Jason

« Reply #223 on: January 22, 2004, 09:23:56 PM »

JRand: Thank you, thank you, thank you! I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I can't wait!!

Re. the audition: Still no call, so I'm assuming I'm not going to be seen tomorrow. Unfortunately, I won't be able to tell anyone what show/role I was auditioning for until the beginning of February. It's a long story.

Now I'm hooked on the score to SEUSSICAL and I want to do it somewhere this summer...along with BEAUTY AND THE BEAST.

td

• td
« Reply #224 on: January 22, 2004, 09:27:31 PM »

DR Jrand  - Dr. Carl has a site for you to see!  Also, drop into the discussions there every now and then.  

Remember Dear Readers, Watch the Skies!

www.astronomy.com

Invaluable resource for non-human star-gazing.

And, DR Matt: the Mighty Manhattan short, discussed earlier, pops up on the KISS ME, KATE dvd.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #225 on: January 22, 2004, 09:31:23 PM »

I just read that "review" - what a bunch of idiots these people are.  I really have no interest in what they think of the film itself, but their comments on the transfer is the usual endless array of bull pucky regarding debris and grain (these people honestly don't know ANYTHING about film) and black levels.  Well, soon we will rectify this at our own The DVD Place but not without your help - we must get the word out.  We will, at some point soon, have a database of every DVD I've talked about at HHW, and I'll be doing new things all the time.  Nick will also be writing their often, but what's going to make the site are people who love DVDs and want some real information about them.  So, come over there often and post about anything and everything about DVDs.

Tomovoz

« Reply #226 on: January 22, 2004, 09:32:28 PM »

Glad to know there is someone else out there enjoying Suessical Jason. Loved the show (Cathy Rigby). I think JMK may also have seen it.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #227 on: January 22, 2004, 09:41:53 PM »

I'm going to read for awhile. Might be back later. In case I'm not --- g'night.

td

• td
« Reply #228 on: January 22, 2004, 09:44:30 PM »

I just read that "review" - what a bunch of idiots these people are.  I really have no interest in what they think of the film itself, but their comments on the transfer is the usual endless array of bull pucky regarding debris and grain (these people honestly don't know ANYTHING about film) and black levels.  Well, soon we will rectify this at our own The DVD Place but not without your help - we must get the word out.  We will, at some point soon, have a database of every DVD I've talked about at HHW, and I'll be doing new things all the time.  Nick will also be writing their often, but what's going to make the site are people who love DVDs and want some real information about them.  So, come over there often and post about anything and everything about DVDs.

I know!  I know!

BK - I can't wait to read your response to the Alice in Wonderland *review* over at dvdmg.com! ! !  Yes, Colin has done it again!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #229 on: January 22, 2004, 09:54:08 PM »

Der Brucer and I finally saw Lordoftheringsthereturnoftheking, which, like it's title, is on the long side but worth it.  He thinks he liked Fellowship better, but I think that's because it's the least complex of the trilogy.  

Myself, I don't understand why so many complaints have been lodged about the film's ending.  What were people expecting?  Car crashes?  Big surprises, like all of a sudden it turns out Galdalf is really Sauron in disguise?  Life slows down after a crisis, and the film showed that.  It was...well, right is the best word for it all.  (The hints of Eowyn maybe getting all huggly-snuggly with Faramir was a good enough surprise for me.)

An additional surprise was the theater here in Rehoboth Beach.  Stadium seating, with a good screen and projection and good sound.  Der Brucer and I have been there a couple of times before, but this is the first time I've seen a film that made me appreciate the facility.  And I can't complain about the $6 price for matinee tix, which is far less than we've paid elsewhere.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 09:55:13 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #230 on: January 22, 2004, 10:11:26 PM »

JAY-

Just curious about Citibank-What would your % be after(if you do) refinance??

4 5/8% fixed for the first five years, adjustable once a year after that, tied to the T-Bill rate.  All other terms of my loan (including duration) remain the same.  I was at 7 1/4% and not due for an adjustment for two years from now.  I am just so pleased to be able to avoid the hassle (and cost) of a regular refi.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #231 on: January 22, 2004, 10:22:52 PM »

Sorry but I don't know about the sleeping bee.  What does it mean?  

I was alluding to a song from House of Flowers, with music (a beautiful and haunting melody) by Harold Arlen and lyrics (also quite beautiful and haunting) by Truman Capote.  

A Sleepin' Bee

When you're in love
And you are wondering
If he really is the one
There's an ancient sign sure to tell you
If your search is over and done

Catch a bee
And if he don't sting you
You're in a spell that's just begun
It's a guarantee till the end of time
Your true love you have won, have won

When a bee lies sleeping
In the palm of your hand
You're bewitched
And deep in love's long looked after land

Where you'll see a sun up sky
With a morning new
And where the days go laughing by
As love comes a-calling on you

Sleep on bee don't waken
Can't believe what just passed
He's mine for the taking
I am happy at last

Maybe I dreams, but he seems
Sweet golden as a crown

A little sleeping bee told me
I will walk with my feet off the ground
When my one true love
I has found

Jay

« Reply #232 on: January 22, 2004, 10:25:51 PM »

(The hints of Eowyn maybe getting all huggly-snuggly with Faramir was a good enough surprise for me.)

I was hoping that Orlando Bloom would maybe get all huggly-snuggly with Viggo Mortenson, but, alas, to no avail.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #233 on: January 22, 2004, 10:34:27 PM »

Okay, I've read the baboon' s "review" of Alice in Wonderland.  We'll just skip his five long paragraphs about the film and why he likes it, other than to say the only line in that part of the "review" that I agreed with is "I may be dense".  Absolutely, baby.

Here are some of his comments about the transfer - and this is what drives me bats.  To wit:

"Alice In Wonderland appears in an aspect ratio of approximately 1.33:1 on this single-sided, double-layered DVD; due to those dimensions, the image has not been enhanced for 16X9 televisions."  

A big DUH.

"Sharpness seemed consistently strong, as most of the picture appeared nicely crisp and well-defined. On a few occasions, I encountered some very mild softness during wide shots, but this remained infrequent and minor. Moiré effects and jagged edges caused no concerns, and I noticed no signs of edge enhancement. As for print flaws, I detected a single speck at one point. Otherwise the image was clean and fresh."  

I love this phrase "moire effects".  Somewhere, someone used this inane expression and every "reviewer" on the Internet now uses it, as if it actually meant something that they understood.  I'm glad those jagged edges didn't cause concern.  Whew!  And there's that edge enhancement line again.  And, my goodness, he saw a SINGLE SPECK (probably part of the animation) and felt it necessary to POINT THAT OUT.

"Colors largely appeared bold and vibrant, but a few inconsistencies appear. I noticed during a couple of scenes that used colored lighting during which the hues looked a bit heavy and weren't as smooth as they should have appeared. However, those instances were small, and the colors usually looked vivid and lively. Black levels seemed nicely deep and dark, and shadow detail was fine. Contrast was solid as well, as whites were pure and clean."

Of course, in this one paragraph we get all the other catch-phrases - i.e. Black levels, shadow detail, clean whites, and solid contrast.  I mean, I just scratch my head in wonderment.

Jay

« Reply #234 on: January 22, 2004, 10:36:48 PM »

I appear to be talking to myself here, but hey, why should that stop me?

Talley's Folly is, indeed, a lovely play.  I hadn't seen the play since I saw it in its original presentation on Broadway.  The production I saw this evening was a lovely one too.  I had never heard of the actors before tonight, Angela Reed and Michael Santo, but they both were quite good.  Direction was by Andrew J. Traister (another name new to me) and the gorgeous, naturalistic set was by D Martyn Bookwalter.

Jay

« Reply #235 on: January 22, 2004, 10:42:34 PM »

I guess I am not alone.

Question.  I am not a DVD aficianado (or however you spell it), but my impression is that many DVD fanatics are rather focused on the pixels on the screen, rather than the quality of the story, acting, direction and cinematography of the film being analyzed.  Am I off-base here?  Certainly, a clean presentation will enhance any motion picture entertainment, but when I collected records, I didn't ooh and aah over the vinyl.  It was the music contained therein that was important.

Jay

« Reply #236 on: January 22, 2004, 10:45:36 PM »

So what happens when a movie like 21 Grams gets released on DVD?  This picture was shot with a grim, dark, very grainy effect throughout.  Will DVD devotees (I like that alliteration) expect a sharp, clear image when that is released?

Tomovoz

« Reply #237 on: January 22, 2004, 10:53:24 PM »

BK: The quoted review sounds more like someone at a wine and cheese tasting.  I am pleased if they issue a DVD in the format used for its original cinema release but I too actually watch the movie more for the story and the presentation of that story than for the shades of grey (gray) etc. I am not a movie buff. Yet another reason why this really is the only site I visit regularly.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #238 on: January 22, 2004, 10:54:45 PM »

Talley's Folly - My only experience with this show was a community theatre production 2 or 3 years ago.  Both actors did a very fine job, making for a very pleasant night at the theatre.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #239 on: January 22, 2004, 11:11:07 PM »

Jay hit the nail on the head.  And Nick is going to write his next column on exactly that theme.  These "reviews" are being "written" by people who only care that they're getting discs for free - they have no expertise whatsoever, either as film lovers or even as techno-nerds.  They've simply read these catch-phrases and write them down and use them until you want to throttle them - then they send a copy to the studio so they know reviews are being written.  It's disgusting.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up