Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SLOW DOWN  (Read 18098 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:SLOW DOWN
« Reply #120 on: July 08, 2005, 01:00:42 PM »

Welcome TPunk it was lovely meeting you and I am very glad to see you posting!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #121 on: July 08, 2005, 01:01:05 PM »

Excellent news about your goddaughter Elmore

vixmom

« Reply #122 on: July 08, 2005, 01:01:17 PM »

Leg breaking Vibes to TCB!!!!

vixmom

« Reply #123 on: July 08, 2005, 01:01:41 PM »

I came I frenzied I must away

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #124 on: July 08, 2005, 01:03:48 PM »

Leg breaking Vibes to TCB!!!!

Thanks, DR vixmom!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #125 on: July 08, 2005, 01:04:54 PM »

Well, after much (MUCH) consternation, I ahve decided to attend the 30th anniversary "Celebration" of my former summer camp, Stagedoor Manor.

I realize that I will probably know nobody there, but I had been toying with the idea of driving down there to see a show this summer.  But this seems a better reason.

The "gala" is being held at Kutsher's, one of the last of the old time "borscht belt" hotels.  Ironically, the deciding factor for me to attend had little to do with camp, but with the fact that my friend Julie Budd is actually appearing, at Kutsher's, that same weekend.  So it was "bashert" as they say in the mountains of Catskill.  ("Meant to be/fate/kismet," for non-Yiddish speakers.)

I was listening to Follies recently (I think it was part of last Friday's media check) which, ironically -- and inexplicably -- was the final show of my first summer at Stagedoor.  So, this little visit in a couple of weeks will truly be "one last look where it all began."

I am looking forward to it. With trepadation.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #126 on: July 08, 2005, 01:04:56 PM »

And thank you to DR elmore for the very touching e-mail!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #127 on: July 08, 2005, 01:06:21 PM »

"There's Always a Woman"

I listened to that today on my way to Target to pick up (and pay for) a few items. What a marvelous song and a fantastic rendition by those two marvelous ladies.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2005, 01:08:40 PM »

Watched this week's RENO 911 (thank goodness Comedy Central repeats the shows with some regularity). Reading Ron was simply hilarious. They did nothing special, however, with their new deputy, and she was so promising last week.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 01:09:51 PM by Matt H. »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2005, 01:12:24 PM »

Oh, and elmore, the other chart is There's Always a Woman.  

Wow!  I have two charts on tonight's concert.  And they're not flying me out?

I used to like Paul Lazarus.  A long time ago.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: July 08, 2005, 01:12:27 PM »

Finally got around to buying the extended Broadway cast version of HELLO DOLLY! with the Mary Martin and Ethel Merman cuts on it. I have the Martin London cast on LP, but I haven't heard these Merman versions (though I've heard the songs sung by others), and I'm looking forward to them. That CD came today along with some other items I'll talk about later.

Ginny

« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2005, 01:12:43 PM »

DR elmore - I know how relieved you must be to have heard from your London friends and, especially, that Charlotte is OK.  Thanks for letting us know, too.

Other DR's who are getting reports from London, too.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2005, 01:13:39 PM »

Is Scotty a cat you are trying to get rid of?

Thanks Jane- I was going to ask if you had any advice for introducing two cats. Killbot is super-friendly and at the shelter we got her from, she befriended dogs and other cats very easily, but that has been three years ago now. Walty, the new cat, was a loner, then had to adjust to the introduction of a pug-like dog into his world. It took awhile, but Walty came around. How will the two do tomorrow put together? Stay tuned...

I have one piece of advice:

When giving Walty some exclusive time, do not (repeat NOT) do it in a chair or on any furniture that you give the same attention to Killbot upon.

Cat's get confused about things -- and right now you and Antonia belong to Killbot.  Either of you giving Walty exclusive attention on Killbot's turf sends a message to Walty that he might need to mark his territory.

And even spayed/neutered cats "mark" their territories...and as Li'l Abner Yokum might say, it ain't purty and it don't smell good, neither.

For a while -- until such time as the two cats are playing, grooming one another AND sharing food dishes -- do everything simultaneously...Killbot and Walty TOGETHER...and pay extra special attention to Killbot whenever possible so that he knows you still love him.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 01:15:22 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2005, 01:21:09 PM »

elmore, you could have had free tix if you'd gotten yourself out.  

I'm back from rehearsal and must now attend to some things, then go to Gelson's to get food for this evening, then, when Tammy gets here we shall be on our way to the Bowl of Hollywood.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #134 on: July 08, 2005, 01:22:24 PM »

.  He plans to bring one cat home with him and I fear if he doesn’t find this puppy a home soon she will also be returning with him.  From Bucharest to the States is a long & expensive way to travel with pets.

I brought two cats home with me from Naples, Italy, in 1992.  It wasn't nearly as expensive as I feared.

Travel regulations have changed since then, of course.  There are certain times of the year that pets, in domestic travel, are not permitted to fly because of extreme temperatures.

Last time I traveled with Vickie, it cost $50 each way.  Far cheaper than leaving her at a veteranarian's office.  But Vickie, and my late cat Dickens, traveled very well.

I think they cost me less than $300 to fly from Italy to North Carolina, and that included the Italian certificates I had to obtain for them to fly.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #135 on: July 08, 2005, 01:25:46 PM »

Thanks Ron. Killbot is actually a girl, if that helps.

I can't believe I'm gonna be in a two-cat house. It's like the difference between having a cat and becoming a "cat person". And Scotty is cute. But NO WAY!!!!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #136 on: July 08, 2005, 01:36:02 PM »

Speaking of John Vernon and good movies. CHARLEY VARRICK was on last night on TCM. Has Joe Don Baker ever been as good in anything since? And I don't wanna hear from the EISCHEID cult.

His character is so funny and mean, if the movie were made today, they would definitely  have spun him off into his own movie series. Vernon also shines in his scenes. The movie is very satisfying, though I did notice some logic holes this time that could not quite be explained. And Walter Matthau is great, but I question his ability to seduce a couple of the beauties in this movie. And, if you really think about the film, you are rooting for a guy who is basically responsible for the deaths of 3-4 innocent people. Ah well.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #137 on: July 08, 2005, 01:36:41 PM »

In my CD player here at work:  the original Broadway cast recording of Little Women, written by Jason Howland and Mindi Dickstein and after that (to compare), a London concept album recording of Little Women with music and lyrics by Lionel Segal.

That's it for the media check...so far.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: July 08, 2005, 01:41:31 PM »

A little more to watch of X2, and then at long last I will be able to watch the film musical verion of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. There have been SO many opinions about it here, and I look forward finally to making up my own mind after I have seen the entire thing. The little preview I had at my friend's house at Easter was not overly enthusiastic, but then, my mostly negative feelings about the original material are well known.

However, I will be able to give it my undivided attention (hopefully without interruption) and should have some valid opinion on it later tonight.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #139 on: July 08, 2005, 01:41:45 PM »

POINT BLANK is one of my favorite movies as well.  Saw it on some long-forgotten double bill with something I thought I wanted to see.  

Angie Dickinson is so very good at being cool and duplicitous - of course her Pepper Anderson was also a weekly fixture at my house....  Angie doesn't have a conventional beauty, but I think she is greater the sum of her parts, so to speak.  She and Lee Marvin make a great COOL team.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2005, 01:44:38 PM »

All of this talk and cats and dogs and Sondheim is very interesting....but I fear I must leave.

Thanks for the rock update DR LAURA.

To the theatre.

Oh, and Angie lent some sex appeal to Mr BK's neighbor Earl Holliman for many years on television.  They never struck any romantic sparks as co-stars, but I think they had a friendly work place camaraderie that was fun to watch....and their characters always seemed to genuinely care for each other.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #141 on: July 08, 2005, 01:46:07 PM »

BK mentioned the second Warners Noir DVD boxed set. Some of these seem to be stretching the definition of noir in my mind (CROSSFIRE, DILLINGER), but I can't wait to read his thoughts of THE NARROW MARGIN.

Ben

« Reply #142 on: July 08, 2005, 02:11:12 PM »

I was going to do my laundry, but, instead I will be going to the Broadhurst Theatre to see Miss Suzanne Somers in The Blonde in the Thunderbird. It's her autobiographical show scheduled for a limited run this summer. It began previews last night and I thought there would be free tickets at some point and Equity came through. I am going with no expectations.

All of our London friends are taken care of and noted as being OK.

I have forgotten my manners. Break a Leg vibes to the one and only TCB, the man who puts the double in double entendre.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #143 on: July 08, 2005, 02:20:25 PM »

Thanks Ron. Killbot is actually a girl, if that helps.

I can't believe I'm gonna be in a two-cat house. It's like the difference between having a cat and becoming a "cat person". And Scotty is cute. But NO WAY!!!!

LOL.  Sorry about the gender confusion, but "helps" isn't a word I'd bandy about in this case.

My male, Dickens, was a one-man cat, and I introduced Vickie into the house.  Dickens was not a happy fella....and the Vickie was ticked, too, even though she had come from a three-cat household (in which she had been at the bottom of the pecking order).

I came home from my first work day after Vickie's first weekend in my house, and Vickie approached me as friendly cats will, rubbing up against my leg.  I sat  in my favorite chair, and she hopped onto my lap.  I petted and cooed over her for a couple of minutes.  Dickens walked into the room and glared at us.  I got up and went to my bedroom to change clothes, went back to the living room and watched Dickens hop out of my chair and up onto the window sill.  I sat down...and within seconds, I felt a wet warmth spread through the seat of my pants.  And it wasn't ME.  

Dickens had hopped up on the chair and "marked" it by peeing on it.  (Fortunately, the cushion was something I could remove and soak in water).

It took MONTHS before I found out their animosity was just over "me"...that they were, in fact, playing together and grooming one another and sharing food.

Just NOT around ME.

But they finally came around.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 02:30:41 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #144 on: July 08, 2005, 02:22:11 PM »

POINT BLANK is one of my favorite movies as well.  Saw it on some long-forgotten double bill with something I thought I wanted to see.  

It wasn't "The Emperor of the North Pole" was it?????

:D

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: July 08, 2005, 02:26:55 PM »

Break a leg, TCB.

Good weather vibes to HHW folks in Florida.
Danise, Michael, y'all ok down there?

MBarnum

« Reply #146 on: July 08, 2005, 02:33:50 PM »

TPunk aka The Gal,   WELCOME! [/size]I look forward to meeting you in October. :)

MBarnum I just adored Kim Richards, however I didn’t find her name.  I see Pamela Ferdin will be there.  She was such a talented young actress I was surprised when she disappeared.

I get an update of the guest via e-mail and Kim was listed...maybe she isn't listed on the website just yet...I met Pamela Ferndyn one time when I went to that show and she was very nice and still looked the same! She gave me her card and asked me to e-mail her...I don't know why, and I never did...maybe she wanted me to go with her to chain myself to a tree or a deer or something (which she recently got arrested for).

Tomovoz

« Reply #147 on: July 08, 2005, 02:59:16 PM »

Leg breaking wishes to those on the boards.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #148 on: July 08, 2005, 03:00:52 PM »

DR Elmore - your friend walks dogs at Hampstead Heath.  I lived near the Heath in 1973 - much more interesting things to do there.

Flying kites etc.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #149 on: July 08, 2005, 03:01:35 PM »

I revisited Hampstead Heath last September - the scenery hasn't changed!
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up