Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THEY CAN'T TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME  (Read 21235 times)

Emily

Re:THEY CAN'T TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME
« Reply #120 on: December 26, 2003, 04:30:56 PM »

My Boxing Day Goodies:

1 tweed a-line skirt - $15 (originally $45)
1 red scoop necked sweater - $29.99 (originally $39.99)
1 pair of winter boots - $40 (originally $80)

woo hoo!  yippee!  huzzah!

I am exhausted - the crowds downtown were just as bad as the ones Jennifer described out in the suburban West Island.

A friend I was shopping with wanted to check out Sports Experts to see if there were any sales.  There obviously were judging by the amount of people waiting in line to get IN TO the building.  Furtur Shop (electronics) supposedly saw a crowd of 400 people line up pre-1pm when their doors opened.

The Gap, while crowded, didn't have many deals.  They should only happen around the middle of January.  

Also may I offer HHW vibes to Andrea as another delighful friend who I dragged shopping with me?  Not only did I make her wait 20 minutes for me since I was late in arriving at the mall but then I questioned stuff she picked out for me.  The horror.  The outrage.  I think the sample sale at Jacob made up for the pain. ;)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #121 on: December 26, 2003, 04:31:25 PM »

Before I picked up Roller, I caught an early afternoon screening of Cold Mountain.  I'm still not sure what to make of this motion picture.  There's an opening sequence that is quite impressive.  Jude Law, Nicole Kidman and Renee Zellwegger were all fine, as were a good number of the supporting players.  I can find no fault with the script or the direction, but the picture just did not grab me.  (I had the same problem with Master and Commander.)  That's very subjective, I know, but it is the way I feel.

I am interested to hear other Dear Readers weigh in on this picture when they see it.  DR Panni/Anna has already expressed her opinion of the movie here.  Others?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Tomovoz

« Reply #122 on: December 26, 2003, 04:32:20 PM »

Garbage Disposals in OZ. We have two called Fosca and Magnus.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #123 on: December 26, 2003, 04:32:36 PM »

Not only am I the garbage disposal, I am also the dish washer !  >:(

Tomovoz

« Reply #124 on: December 26, 2003, 04:34:48 PM »

Do you do house calls MBarnum?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #125 on: December 26, 2003, 04:42:14 PM »

Good Evening Everyone.

I also hit some of the stores but came home pretty empty handed.  The dogs and Fish Butt scored for the most part.  I'm worried because I'm almost out of the jar of betta fish food I bought for Fish Butt when I got him.  

I've tried to give him all kinds of other betta food but he only likes that one kind.  Here's the rub--I can't find it any more!  I went to 3 different pet stores today but no soap.  The company that makes it came out with a "new and improved" version of it so it's not the same as before and he doesn't like it.  Sigh.  I don't know what I'm going to do.  Who would have thought that a fish would be so picky about his food?

Anyway, I found 4 different kinds of betta food that I haven't seen before so I bought them all.  I hope I found something that he will like.  I already feel bad about leaving him all alone when we have these long weekends.  

I'm so glad to hear about Roller!  It must be wonderful to have your baby home.  I know how I would feel if it were Brandi or Bear.

What's a "garbage disposal"?   :) I've never had a house that had one of those things.  But then remember, I don't even have central heat and air, a dish washer or other items people take for granted.  

I'm so hoping to move sometime next year.  I don't know how long it's going to take to find another house but when I do, it's going to be much, much better then this one ever was.

I dug out and watched An American Christmas Carol from my DVD collection last night.  I like that version much more than the old Scrooge/Christmas Carol but not to many people seem to know it.  Has anyone here seen it?  Like it?

I'm still working on my Babylon 5 collection.  I'm up to the 3rd disk of the 1st season.  I'm enjoying every moment of it.  Still need to watch some Highlander but I did watch the bloopers.  They must have had fun doing that show.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #126 on: December 26, 2003, 04:45:54 PM »

Hey, 1 + all!

We drove to Greenville SC today to visit some of my old haunts -- I took pictures of some of the houses we lived in (YES! They are STILL standing, those houses!).  We tried to go to a mall, but OHMIGOSH OHMYGOLLY! Oh....MY....GOD!  The T-R-A-F-F-I-C.  I knew, when I saw that people were parking everywhere illegal that we would not find a parking space, but my mother demonstrated the hardheadedness which puts mine to shame and we drove around for 35 minutes until I was able to convince her it was not worth it.

Sigh.

We also visited a cousin who re-married last year.   He married a wonderful woman who has really taken charge of his house and made it into a beautiful and comfortable place to live.  

"The Robe" is playing on the Fox Movie Channel right now, and "Bells Are Ringing" is playing on TCM.  In my portable CD player is "Wicked" and it will remain there for some time.

I can't wait to rejoin all of you on a more regular basis.  I'm missing out on so much merriment, madness and mirth, not to mention silliness.  But I am getting massive doses of silliness here.

All the big get-togethers are over and done and could I regale you folks with some stories!!!??? Oh! Yes!  I could regale you.  My Uncle Rock alone is worth five paragraphs!  And then there's my cousin Travis.  And my cousin Ashley's husband David.  

Oh!  We have some characters here.  

DR MattH:  I hate to tell you this, but I sound so southern now I'd put YOU to shame!  I can't help myself.  

Love "trying" to keep up by reading, but I regret missing so many in-the-moment things.  

Have a safe weekend, all!  

Jay

« Reply #127 on: December 26, 2003, 04:48:43 PM »

But then remember, I don't even have central heat and air, a dish washer or other items people take for granted.  

Do you have indoor plumbing, Dear Reader Danise?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #128 on: December 26, 2003, 04:56:23 PM »

DR Jay: Glad to hear that Roller is doing better.  Our trip to the vet had good results today, too.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2003, 04:56:53 PM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jennifer

« Reply #129 on: December 26, 2003, 05:04:21 PM »

DR Emily: do you have a garbage disposal? I don't know of anyone here who does. And I have never seen any for sale. When I go to the US everybody has them.

Danise

« Reply #130 on: December 26, 2003, 05:06:12 PM »

Yes, DR Jay.  We do have that.  :-)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #131 on: December 26, 2003, 05:07:27 PM »

Oppps how did I double post?
D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2003, 05:07:59 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #132 on: December 26, 2003, 05:12:12 PM »

Only have a minute,  but wanted to say to DR Jay that it's terrific you've got Roller back.
Had some roast chestnuts today. One of my favorite things in the world and my first for this season. Unfortunately they were underdone, but a few pieces were good. Just as I was buying them - and thinking back on my chidlhood days eating them on the snowy streets of Budapest and later the Hungarian immigrant section of Toronto - the PA system at The Grove began to play THE CHRISTMAS SONG. If I were writing this scene in a movie, I wouldn't dare do that, lest the audience let out a collective groan.

Jay

« Reply #133 on: December 26, 2003, 05:25:14 PM »

Thankfully, there is no groaning at HHW.com.

Danise

« Reply #134 on: December 26, 2003, 05:36:55 PM »

I LOVE chestnuts!  How do you make yours?  We cut little X's or crosses (which ever you want to call them) then soak them over night in salt water.  Then we bake them at about 400 for about 45 minutes to an hour.  When you see the cross/X flaps start to curl back you know they are done.  Super YUM!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2003, 05:38:01 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: December 26, 2003, 05:39:55 PM »

Poor septic tanks in New Jersey explains so much.

I managed to get out of work by five, did a couple of little errands and am now home, safe and sound.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #136 on: December 26, 2003, 05:50:28 PM »

Here I am and yes I did see it....the TV version of VOD that is.  And it was painful to watch.

I am not talking about the television series....never saw that.  This is the mini-series with Veronica Hamel and Lisa Hartman and Bert Convy and Jean Simmons.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: December 26, 2003, 05:55:04 PM »

I'm sure it was awful, but I MUST see it.  

And then there were two - but hopefully there will be more than four score later.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #138 on: December 26, 2003, 06:05:22 PM »

I thought I taped it, but the tape is no where to be found.  The television series was short lived and didn't run in my area.  I don't know anything about the cast.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #139 on: December 26, 2003, 06:12:56 PM »

DR Danise - No soaking or X's for me. I just make one slit in the chestnut with a sharp knife, then put it in the broiler until done. Warning: if not slit properly, some will explode. Chestnut KABOOM!

Mr. Mark Bakalor

• Administrator
  • SAG / AFTRA
    • mark, my words
« Reply #140 on: December 26, 2003, 06:12:56 PM »

I had something last night I had never had before: a chocolate martini! I'm not a big drinker by any means (one mixed drink before a meal or a glass of wine with dinner is a big deal for me). Anyway, this was really unusual. It's made with vanilla vodka, Godiva chocolate liqueur, and half & half. Some shaved dark chocolate was also sprinkled over the top of it in the martini glass. Very unusual, and by the time I got to the bottom of the glass, I was enjoying it. However, I was driving home later, so I only had one. My hosts each had two.

I went out earlier in the week with TheGirl to a popular SoCal joint called Lolas in West Hollywood known worldwide for their wide array of martinis. I had the raspberry martini and she had the caramel apple martini. Great drinks, food, atmosphere... give it a try!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #141 on: December 26, 2003, 06:16:46 PM »

I had a chocolate martini at the Hard Rock Cafe in Washington DC....the raspberry martini sounds like a better choice.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #142 on: December 26, 2003, 06:22:32 PM »

MR BK - Rick Rhodes was the composer for the VALLEY OF THE DOLLS syndicated series.....65 episodes in 1994, for New World Television.

The miniseries was in 1981.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2003, 06:25:20 PM by JRand53 »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #143 on: December 26, 2003, 06:53:39 PM »

Danise you sound like my son in Romania.  I hope you at least have little electric heaters like he does.  Do you have hot water?  ;) He has to boil water.  It takes him about an hour and a half to fill a bathtub with hot water so he can bathe or wash clothes.

Jennifer

« Reply #144 on: December 26, 2003, 07:00:34 PM »

Hey where are all the posts tonight? :(

Oh my gosh, I have been through an emotional rollercoaster tonight.  I won't go into details, but aren't men lovely ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #145 on: December 26, 2003, 07:10:10 PM »

Fred Karlin did the music for the 1981 miniseries Jacqueline Susann's Valley of the Dolls with Catherine Hicks as Anne, Jean Simmons as Helen, Veronica Hamel as Jennifer, and Lisa Hartman as Neely.  Bert Convy was Tony, David Birney was Lyon, and James Coburn was Henry Bellamy.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2003, 07:10:38 PM by JRand53 »

td

• td
« Reply #146 on: December 26, 2003, 07:14:59 PM »

It sure is a lazy day after Christmas. . . I slept unitl 9am!
Dropped off a couple of gifts for the managers of Sam Goody's who have gone out of their way for me more than once.
I actually spent the remainder of the day referencing my collection of burnt cds, complete with cover art, etc.  Now that they're safely ensconced in a nifty leather binder, and supper is long over, it's time to drop into HHW to check out the media collections of the day.

In my dvd player - nothing really.  But, last night was spent watching KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE and as other Hainesies know, SCROOGE.
In the vcr:  The Kennedy Center Christmas program featuring Jason Graae.
On the tv right now, The Kennedy Center Honors paying tribute to James Brown, Mike Nichols, Carol Burnett, Loretta Lynn et al. (gosh, how I love Trisha Yearwood).

But, the cd player has been having a major workout this week:
The Christmas cds of MANHATTAN TRANSFER, BARBARA COOK, ELAINE PAIGE, HARRY CONNICK, MICHAEL BALL, NANCY LAMOTT. . .
The BK-produced BROADWAY and HOLLYWOOD CHRISTMAS cds.
The Soundtrack of GYPSY - and, yes, I was induced to cringes when Roz tried to tackle thost tunes.
The OBCs of IRMA LA DOUCE ("drink the health of the Christmas child. . ."), BOY FROM OZ (they should never have recorded this the day after its opening) and WICKED (which sounds too *clean* to me, probably because):
The August 15th L*I*V*E recording of WICKED, which captures the energy, the verve, the characterizations most effectively, and gets played as much as the OBC.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: December 26, 2003, 07:23:20 PM »

Maybe I'll kall Karlin and see if he has a video of the miniseries.  Yes, by gum and by golly, that's what I'll do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #148 on: December 26, 2003, 07:26:21 PM »

DR Jane mentioned garbage disposals. Do you know there is no such thing in Montreal.  I know in the US they are everywhere. But NOBODY here (and maybe in all of Canada) have garbage disposals.

I had friends in college from Vancouver, BC and they said that what Americans call the "garbage disposal" (the grinder that's in the kitchen sink), they call a "garbarator" (I'm not sure of the spelling).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #149 on: December 26, 2003, 07:33:46 PM »

DR George, I don't know, I have heard that term before though. All I know is that I have never seen anyone in Montreal who has one. Although apparently in DR Emily's neck of the woods everyone has them :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up