Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THEY CAN'T TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME  (Read 21015 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THEY CAN'T TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME
« on: December 26, 2003, 12:04:55 AM »

You've read the notes (and if you haven't, get over there before we bitch-slap you from here to eternity - plus, they're really short), so post away, and I'll join in the fun from work.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2003, 12:02:47 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:THEY CAN'T TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2003, 12:26:45 AM »

Cds: Rosemary Clooney "White Christmas"/"Red Garters"; Secret Garden "White Stones"; Soundtrack "The Legend Of 1900".
DVD: "Chess" (Swedish Production)
VCR. Episode of UK Programme "Teachers"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2003, 01:29:14 AM »

A couple of days ago (I think), Michael Shayne posted the lyrics to "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by Ralph Blane and Hugh Martin from Meet Me In St. Louis.  I love this song and want to show the differences between the original movie lyrics and the out-of-the-context-of-the-movie happy version (just because I have nothing else to do at 1:30 in the morning, even though I should be asleep):

The original movie lyrics (compare the lyrics in bold):

Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Let your heart be light
Next year all our troubles will be out of sight

Make the Yuletide gay
Next year all our troubles will be miles away

Once again, as in olden days, happy golden days of yore
Faithful friends who are dear to us will be near to us once more

Someday soon we all will be together
If the fates allow
Until then, we’ll have to muddle through somehow
So have yourself a merry little Christmas now

The happy lyrics:

Let your heart be light
From now on our troubles will be out of sight

Make the Yuletide gay
From now on our troubles will be miles away

Here we are, as in olden days, happy golden days of yore
Faithful friends who are dear to us gather near to us once more

Through the years we all will be together
If the fates allow
Hang a shining star upon the highest bow
And have yourself a merry little Christmas now

The lyric changes seem subtle, but it’s a substantial difference in the tone of the piece.  A friend of mine actually sang both versions in the same concert that he was in.  Some people in the audience (other friends of mine) didn’t know that there ever were different lyrics.

Just had to share. :)

To be played in my CD player later in the day:  the original Broadway cast recording of Meet Me In St. Louis (with the movie lyrics).  I don't have the movie soundtrack on CD.

Now I'm off to sleep. 8) (pretend that that's a smilie wearing a sleeping mask)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2003, 04:08:05 AM »

BK SAID in his column:

I also have to work for a few hours on Saturday as well (although I must be home by one because the digital dish people are coming to put in a digital dish so I can once again watch television after a year of being without any cable service)

Well once you get your satellite dish won't you still be without cable service???
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2003, 04:19:48 AM »

A couple of days ago (I think), Michael Shayne posted the lyrics to "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by Ralph Blane and Hugh Martin from Meet Me In St. Louis.  I love this song

It was actually yesterday and I posted the happy lyrics. I never even noticed that. My favorite still is Garland version from the film. (Sorry Mr. Guy Haines) Did she she ever record the alternate version?? Now I know there are two vresions I am going to have to listen to all the versions that I have and take a poll. I am going to have to do it after work though.

BK recorded the song twice as the final song on his Hollywood and Broadway Christmas CDs. Liz Callaway sings it on the Broadway and Guy Haines on the Hollywood.

Composers who musical songs that became hits or in anticipation of a hit usually wrote "alternate pop lyrics" so that the song can be recorded outside the context of the show.

So BK maybe you can post the alternate lyrics to:
Lesbian, Butch, Dyke
Orgasm
Dancing Dildoes
Let 'em Eat Cake
Perversion
and the rest
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2003, 04:39:48 AM »

Quick poll results:

BK recorded the happy version on both cds
Never stop dreaming.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2003, 06:34:54 AM »

Good morning, fellow dear readers.

In the CD player: Christmas in Plaid. It's swell to hear the fellas singing again. But golly, I wish BK had produced this one!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jennifer

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2003, 07:03:30 AM »

Hey good morning everyone. Wow, I had a lot of posts to catch up on from last night.

DR MBarnum: Thanks again for the M+Ms. Very sweet of you (no pun intended). That is interesting that your mom is writing an autibiography.  And how curious that you can't have the last part yet. Hmmmm.

DR Jason: Sounds like you had such great food. I have friends who live in the South, but I have never tried real southern cooking. Sounds great. My friend keeps talking about fried pickles (which sound weird to me).

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2003, 07:06:04 AM »

Also, re: Boxing Day in the US.

I still find it odd that it's not as HUGE a day as it is here in Canada. I wonder if some parts of the US call it Boxing Day?  I know when i say "boxing day sale" everyone knows what i mean :)

But I am so jealous that you have stores that open at 5am. Here is it only 1pm-5pm. But 1pm will certainly be a zoo.

There was some snow last night. Not sure if it was anywhere near the 10cms they predicted (I don't think so).

I cannot wait to get to the mall. Should be great fun.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2003, 07:13:58 AM »

Yes, here we are on the day after Christmas.  I have taken my HHW tree down!

DRGEORGE your Psychologically Challenged Christmas Songs were very funny!

DRTD - yes I will attempt to tape SAY ONE FOR ME.....I have asked Fox Movie Channel to "remind me" on the days it is scheduled.  So yes, we can add it to our collections.  And come to think of it, a double feature of SOFM and THE APPLE might be perfect for - well no it would never be perfect....it might be just too much!

Yes DRMARKBAKALOR Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and thanks for all you do to make HHW work!

Hmmmmmmmmm......

In my DVD - Groucho Marx, The Lost Episodes & Bonjour Tristesse.

In my CD - Valley of the Dolls soundtrack and The BEST of the McGuire Sisters (a holiday gift)!

In my VCR - Matthew Bourne's THE NUTCRACKER....hehehehe.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2003, 07:21:26 AM »

Ack, I think I am the only State of Oregon worker working today!

Lots of things in my DVD player lately:

2 "Race" films with "all colored casts." The first was Broken Strings (1940) which was actually quite good. Starred Clarence Muse, who is quite a fine actor. Lots of music both classical and swing. The other film was Beware. This one was also fun and it starred Big Band leader Louis Jordan who does a fine job acting. Of course he breaks into song just about every 5 minutes, leaving very little time for any kind of plot! LOL! Which is just as well as most of the other actors seem to be having a great deal of trouble remembering their lines and it is quite obvious that only one take of each scene was allowed! LOL!

The Living Corpse. Very interesting black and white Pakistani vampire film. Very similar to the Indian Bollywood movies and it is rather odd to see the lady vampire break into a slinky song and dance!

Bhoot Bangla. BK, I highly recommend this Bollywood feature film. A fun haunted house musical comedy thriller! Has some very suspensful scenes and some of the best musical numbers I have seen in an Indian film...there are two fun Twist numbers, a dancing skeleton number and a West Side Story rip-off number. Fun, fun, fun (that's three funs).

Cds: nothing

VCR: Taping Ernie Kovac's TV show on Trio this morning.

MBarnum

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2003, 07:24:03 AM »

JRand53, I am so glad that you got the YOU BET YOUR LIFE dvds! You are lovin' them, I am sure!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2003, 07:59:59 AM »

DR Panni--Regarding your late post last night:  You mean to tell me "vomitously" isn't a real word????

Cleared the CD player of Christmas music and replaced it with:

Jeepers Creepers
She Love Me (OBCR)
Elaine Stritch--At Liberty
A compilation of excerpts from Leonard Bernstein's Broadway scores
The Full Monty (OBCR)

Queued up for my VCR is the first half of the HBO Angels in America
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2003, 08:12:09 AM »

I had something last night I had never had before: a chocolate martini! I'm not a big drinker by any means (one mixed drink before a meal or a glass of wine with dinner is a big deal for me). Anyway, this was really unusual. It's made with vanilla vodka, Godiva chocolate liqueur, and half & half. Some shaved dark chocolate was also sprinkled over the top of it in the martini glass. Very unusual, and by the time I got to the bottom of the glass, I was enjoying it. However, I was driving home later, so I only had one. My hosts each had two.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2003, 08:14:15 AM »

Media check for the day:

CD - still enjoying WICKED, and I have THE BOY FROM OZ (OBC) waiting to be played.

DVR - FRAILTY

DVD - SORDID LIVES to be followed by KISS ME, STUPID.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2003, 08:30:59 AM »

Good morning, and Happy Boxing Day, to one and all!

Although, we don't officially celebrate Boxing Day in the U.S., anyone who has experienced, in person, the Day After Christmas Sales at the malls will tell you that Boxing Day is as good a description as any to describe the melee.

DR MattH:  That chocolate martini sounds pretty nasty to me.  I assume they aren't served with an olive.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2003, 08:35:06 AM »

I do enjoy a martini every now and then. I haven't tried the Chocolate martini. It does not sound good, particularly, but people tell me it is quite tasty. One of these days I will have to give it a try.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2003, 08:36:19 AM »

No, DR TCB, no olive. I was a doubter, too, but it's not a bad drink. I can't stand a standard martini, incidentally.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2003, 08:40:39 AM »

Media Check

CD Player (car):  Connie Francis Greatest Hits
CD Player (house):  Mamas & the Papas 2-volume Greatest Hits
(Courtesy of our Music Guru from Oz)

VCR: Betty Hutton
DVD: Scrooge

“One thing’s universal,

Emily

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2003, 08:42:36 AM »

Here's wishing all of you a sacred and holy Boxing Day in which the day's true meaning shines over everyone! ;)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

MBarnum

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2003, 08:47:54 AM »

Emily, once again you have me rolling around laughing my arse off! LOL!  ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2003, 08:48:24 AM »

I had planned on going to Borders today to pick up a couple of calendars now that they'll be reduced 50%, but I just can't get out of this lazy mode to clean up and drive over there.

MBarnum

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2003, 08:48:30 AM »

It is so wrong to be at work today  >:(

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2003, 08:50:28 AM »

My friend Ron called me and he went shopping early this morning at Fred Meyers for their buy-one-get-one-free DVD sale! He picked up IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD and WHALES OF AUGUST among others.

He is going back on his lunch hour for more!

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2003, 09:00:38 AM »

Oh, I have not seen THE WHALES OF AUGUST in years and years. I'm not sure I even knew it was available on DVD. Great purchases!

Sorry you have to be at work, DR MBarnum. EVen when I was employed, I always had CHristmas holidays off and I felt bad for friends who had to work.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2003, 09:07:37 AM »

My friend Ron called me and he went shopping early this morning at Fred Meyers for their buy-one-get-one-free DVD sale! He picked up IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD and WHALES OF AUGUST among others.

He is going back on his lunch hour for more!

I always thought that Whales of August should have featured Shelley Winters..... with a cameo by me!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2003, 09:09:32 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2003, 09:11:51 AM »

I haven't seen Whales of August in many years either. I caught a bit of it on TV awhile back and was better able to appreciate the talents of Lillian Gish and Bette Davis in there later years. I adore Lillian!

I believe the DVD was released just this last month.

TCB, you would have been a dashing cameo...perhaps you could have played Lillian's great-grandson!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2003, 09:14:57 AM »

TCB, you would have been a dashing cameo...perhaps you could have played Lillian's great-grandson!

Thank you, Mr. Barnum!
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2003, 09:26:05 AM »

I arrived at work promptly at nine.  My editor is not here as of yet and I'm just sitting here like so much fish.  Plus, they've moved my second editor into a different bay and the computer in there is totally messed up, so I will surreptitiously move the one I'm typing on in there and move that one in here and hopefully no one will be the wiser.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2003, 09:30:55 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Mid-Day!  Good Afternoon!

What a lovely number of posts to catch up on this morning.  I ended up getting to bed before midnight last night - What's up with that?!?!?  I was kind of wiped out from the day, and I was also in a little bit of pain last night.  When I went to throw away some garbage in the garage, I stepped onto one of those prickle-ball-tree-thingies... and I was in socks!  OUCH!  I was limping for a bit, and it felt like my foot was swelling.  There was no "outside damage", but I didn't want to take may chances, and since I was already tired, and all the festivities were done for the evening... I headed up to bed, did some last-minute web-surfing/browsing, elevated my leg... and then found myself waking up around 2:00am with all the lights still on, etc...  So...

And I slept in a little bit this morning too.  I think my parents headed out into the madness of the Day After Christmas Sales.  I've been thinking about it, but anything I would buy today would just be "because it's on sale".  So, we'll see what the afternoon brings.  Besides, I actually did some DACS shopping on Wednesday when some of the stores I was at were actually starting their DACS!  However, I will be heading to IKEA in the next two weeks for their "twice yearly sale".  With a pending apartment move coming up, I'm sure I'll find some necessities - and, hopefully, on sale too.

*I'm also planning a MAJOR purge of stuff in January.  I just have to do it this time.  I have many boxes of assorted stuff I haven't looked through or even opened in years(!), CDs I haven't listened to since I bought them - or ever(!), some VHS tapes of things I now have on DVD, way too many back issues of various magazines, etc.  -I will most likely be keeping all the CDs, but it will be nice to inventory them again - I know I'm missing some of my show CDs.  I also need to get another set of shelves for my CDs - too many piles around my room right now.  My collections is not huge, but it's sizable, and I just want to get things in order.  Oh, and my book collection may get whittled down... that will be hard to do too.  A friend of mine gave me first dibs on his collection before he moved up to Boston a few years ago.  He had some wonderful books, as well as some wonderful editions of books.  There's a great used book store near me, and I may just take some down there and see if the owner thinks I should hold on to them, or pass them onto him.  And I'm not even going to bother going through my print music collection.  Every time I've done that before, I've kept everything, so...

Now as to when I'll do this major purge.... Hmm.. I'm back home in Richmond for at least two weeks straight in January, and I hope to devote at least two or three days to sorting and deciding.  -Oh, the dust bunnies I am bound to run across!  Unless they run me across first!!  And rest assured Dear H/Ks, that if I end up coming across some "questionable" stuff, I will give the DRs of this board first dibs.

-And maybe I'll give E-bay a try?

End of first babble for today...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up