Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: I'M IN THE MOOD FOR CAKE  (Read 27975 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:I'M IN THE MOOD FOR CAKE
« Reply #180 on: February 02, 2005, 05:04:38 PM »

I think I'll finish watching Leave Her to Heaven, and then try to figure out what to follow it with.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: February 02, 2005, 05:05:01 PM »

Holy moley on rye - page seven!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #182 on: February 02, 2005, 05:14:49 PM »

I think I'm in the mood for cake too.  How deliciously dangerous.  Or perhaps dangerously delicious.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #183 on: February 02, 2005, 05:19:11 PM »

My friend and I are watching Shall We Dance, the Fred/Ginger version.  She's a dancer, mostly swing, and she's never seen any of their movies...I felt it was high time to introduce her to them.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #184 on: February 02, 2005, 05:37:36 PM »

I'd have put money on those purple tights.

Well, as long as you don't put money IN those purple tights...  ;D

I don't know why, but this reminds me of an incident when I was in costume.  And I don't know if I should post this (long) story in public...but I'm going to. ;) For quite a few years here in Olympia, I was involved in an annual AIDS benefit revue.  One year, Rick, the director of the show, and I did "Beauty That Drives a Man Mad" from Some Like It Hot:  The Musical in full drag.  We transcribed the version from the London cast recording ... royalties be damned.  I have another story about the costume itself.  Right after our song, the rest of the cast came onstage and sang "Money, Money" from the movie version of "Cabaret," as Rick and I went out into the audience with purses in hand to get more money for the cause (The United Comminity AIDS Network).  As the song ended, we stayed out in the audience during intermission getting money from the people who weren't sitting on the aisles.

Anyway, at the back of the orchestra level is a wall and the first balcony starts there about 10 feet up.  A former coworker (Gloria) was in the front row of the balcony and she wanted to throw money down to me.  I held open the purse, she dropped the bill and I missed catching.  By this time, my then 14 (or so) year old niece, my sister and my sister's boyfriend were all standing around me and talking with Gloria.  When I missed catching the money, Gloria apologized for not aiming and I said (without thinking...out loud...in front of EVERYONE), "That's okay.  I'm not to proud to bend over for money!" :o

Has anyone else had an incredibly embarrasing moment like that?? ::)

I will admit that, even at the time, I thought it was pretty damned funny!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 05:45:23 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #185 on: February 02, 2005, 05:46:19 PM »

Okay, the story about the costume.  I got the outfit from a friend of mine who had had it made when she was a "groom's maid" in a commitment ceremony for a couple of friends of hers.  The shirt was solid purple and no sleeves.  There was a jacket and pants.  These had a very flowery pattern, all shades of purple with lots of fabric and very flowy.  Anyway, the first year that I wore this particular outfit (I've actually worn it in three different productions), someone else who was in that commitment ceremony came to the show wearing that exact same outfit!!  I never got to meet her so I don't know what her reaction was...or those around her.  I just hope that she wasn't too embarrassed. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: February 02, 2005, 06:04:41 PM »

February… It’s harder for me to pronounce it than to type.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #187 on: February 02, 2005, 06:04:51 PM »

Ron, Richie's?  Am I though only one who finds it a bit incongruous that a Chinese place is called Richie's?  It sounds like it should serve Brats and Burgers...or Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches...

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: February 02, 2005, 06:12:00 PM »

A question to everyone DRs: I determined to learn(enjoy?) in earnest all about American musical films from the beginnings of its history. I’ve watched some of them so far but I now really want to know about all of them. I suppose there are many good teachers and experts on it here on HHW, so I’d like to ask every DRs “Could you recommend which musical film I should watch first?” and “How should I take the course of action for it?” Look forward to your lovely answers. :) ;)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #189 on: February 02, 2005, 06:35:38 PM »

Ben we shall have to try and visit the British stores next time I’m in NY.  In Santa Monica, conveniently located across the street from each other, a couple of English stores.  I go there almost every year but don’t care for the humbugs they sell.

td thank you for the tale of Groundhog day.  

Ginny did you get the recipe for the exquisite apple spice cake?

Vixmom-cute groundhog.

I finally made it through page one.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #190 on: February 02, 2005, 06:36:57 PM »

Ron, Richie's?  Am I though only one who finds it a bit incongruous that a Chinese place is called Richie's?  It sounds like it should serve Brats and Burgers...or Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches...

Never fear...Richie's is just an anglo version of the nickname of the Chinese owner.  It's 100% Chinese-owned, operated and the preponderance of customers are Chinese.

Everything is served fresh and fabulous from the kitchen.  The walls are lined with Chinese "specials"  written in Chinese.  The waiters have little English, but the dim sum order form has English translations as does the regular menu.

We normally get two kinds of tea...one is lotus, and the other is chrysanthemum...with real chrysanthemum blossoms in the pot.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: February 02, 2005, 06:38:03 PM »

Swing Time - one of the greats.  Fred and Ginger at the height of their powers, and a great Kern/Fields score.  Divoon.

Singin' in the Rain - none better

The Band Wagon - not perfect, but pretty close

I know you've seen West Side Story, so that's covered.

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg - unique, one-of-a-kind

Meet Me in St. Louis - not a lot of songs but what there is is cherce.

The Sound of Music

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: February 02, 2005, 06:39:04 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?

What I think we need is a GAZEBO.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #193 on: February 02, 2005, 06:43:05 PM »

I think I'll finish watching Leave Her to Heaven, and then try to figure out what to follow it with.

While you're figuring out what to follow it with, speculate wildly on where the choral overlay for the finale went when they were doing the OST release on the FSM label.

I miss that gorgeous chorus every time I listen to it.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #194 on: February 02, 2005, 06:50:14 PM »

The news headline on my home-page talks about the groundhog's "preditions"...Does no one proof-read anymore?

Not in our local paper. :o

Jane

« Reply #195 on: February 02, 2005, 06:56:14 PM »

We finally watched MEDIUM last night.  Last week we had been disappointed in both shows, this week both were excellent.

Rodzinski you have a nice face.

Sandra I love your pointless stories.  :D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: February 02, 2005, 07:02:28 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?

What I think we need is a GAZEBO.

I made a gazebo once, but it died. (a Gilbert & Sullivan reference!)
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #197 on: February 02, 2005, 07:09:35 PM »

I second MR BK's suggestion to start with SWINGTIME DR HISAKA....his other suggestions are choice as well.  I would add:

7 BRIDES FOR 7 BROTHERS
GYPSY
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #198 on: February 02, 2005, 07:10:41 PM »

DR RON - Project Runway is especially interesting tonight and we get to see some designer backside.....I won't say who it is, but it isn't fat and it isn't pencil thin....so draw your own conclusions.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #199 on: February 02, 2005, 07:10:55 PM »

A question to everyone DRs: I determined to learn(enjoy?) in earnest all about American musical films from the beginnings of its history. I’ve watched some of them so far but I now really want to know about all of them. I suppose there are many good teachers and experts on it here on HHW, so I’d like to ask every DRs “Could you recommend which musical film I should watch first?” and “How should I take the course of action for it?” Look forward to your lovely answers. :) ;)

Only one?

Singin' in the Rain
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #200 on: February 02, 2005, 07:16:11 PM »

More than one?  Off the top of my head:

West Side Story

The Sound of Music

My Fair Lady

Broadway Melody of 1940

A Star is Born
(Judy Garland version)

Meet Me in St. Louis

Kiss Me Kate
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Michael

« Reply #201 on: February 02, 2005, 07:24:08 PM »

BK: What was the tv show that you appeared in as the front end of the horse?

Do you know if you are going to be in one of the clips in the Happy Days Reunion Show?
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #202 on: February 02, 2005, 07:24:35 PM »

I agree with Singin' in the Rain as a starting point.  It's funny, the musical sequences are well realized, and the historical setting, of the transition from silent to sound pictures, is utilized well in the story.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #203 on: February 02, 2005, 07:41:35 PM »

Jane - No recipe yet, but the gal who made it doesn't work often (she has a very cute 14-month-old who keeps her busy).  She promised to bring the recipe next time she's in.

Elmore - arrghhh about The Boy Friend!

Hisaka - Judy Garland movies Easter Parade and The Harvey Girls
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #204 on: February 02, 2005, 07:47:39 PM »

Ginny, will you please share it?

Stuart I enjoyed your sweet story of Morgan.  Sixty-five pounds isn’t too much to be a lap dog.  Now when my sister’s St. Bernard decided to sleep on top of me…..

« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 07:48:55 PM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #205 on: February 02, 2005, 07:51:15 PM »

Vixmom, the big test is how the bagels survive being frozen.  I have just enough cream cheese for the ones I didn’t freeze, the rest will be sliced and toasted and eaten with a smidgen of butter.

I don’t believe I have tried humbugs from the Kandy Store-thanks.  I saved the site.  

Jane

« Reply #206 on: February 02, 2005, 07:53:44 PM »

You could listen to KUSC on-line, you know.  You sure seemed to enjoy that station during your stay in Tinseltown last summer.

What is the link?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #207 on: February 02, 2005, 07:55:18 PM »

I didn't end up baking a cake today, but I've resolved to do so at some point this week. Might be Saturday. Might be tomorrow since they're predicting bad weather for us tomorrow, and that would be a good day to be inside and baking. We'll see.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #208 on: February 02, 2005, 07:56:26 PM »

My friend and I are watching Shall We Dance, the Fred/Ginger version.  She's a dancer, mostly swing, and she's never seen any of their movies...I felt it was high time to introduce her to them.  

Nice film with some great Gershwin music. I'd rather SWING TIME be someone's introduction to them, but SHALL WE DANCE is OK, too.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #209 on: February 02, 2005, 07:56:32 PM »

Ginny, will you please share it?

The cake recipe?  Sure, as soon as I get it.  Angela (the baker) said she'd found it on the back of the applesauce jar, so I might look around and try to find in on my own.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up