Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: I FEEL A SONG COMING ON  (Read 11467 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: I FEEL A SONG COMING ON
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2010, 01:01:24 PM »

I think that BK said he would be there on the 29th, Is that correct? If I come up for the play I would like to be there for the whole HHW experience.

April 30th is the date BK said.  That's our official opening night.

That's also just before my birthday. ::)

I'm just sayin'.

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2010, 01:02:06 PM »

I watch SHERLOCK HOLMES the other night.  Utterly entertaining and also utter tosh!  Predictable plot (figured out the major twist before there was one).  Does not allow the audience to play detective along with Holmes.  Nor is there anything about the movie that distinguishes it as Sherlock Holmes.  It could have been any Victorian detective and his sidekick solving this mystery.  Rather like Jude Law's Watson more than Downey's Sherlock.  Sherlock is indulgent and self-absorbed, but not in the way Downey (or the script ) made him.  It also falls victim to what too many movies do these days...louder, bigger, and overwrought with CGI and special effects. I think drama is still about people.

Saw MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS.  Found it amusing and laughed a lot.  Enjoyed all the actors.  Story peters out a bit at the end.  Most amazing is the true stuff it's based on.

Best thing I've seen lately is a documentary about playwright John Osborne called JOHN OSBORNE AND THE GIFT OF FRIENDSHIP.  Absolutely mesmerizing!  The more I read by and about Osborne, the more I want to read.  A fascinating artist!

We finished SHERLOCK HOLMES last night.  Totally agree with your assessment.  It was better than many of the reviews had led us to believe, but it sure wasn't Arthur Conan Doyle.  Of course it looks like they set things up for a sequel with that little coda vis a vis Moriarty.

I had read that Guy Ritchie was planning a sequel while this first film was still in production. The overwhelming box-office success of the movie merely clinched the deal.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2010, 01:04:13 PM »

DR Elmore, was "There's Always A Woman" included in this ANYONE CAN WHISTLE?

No. It was lost in Boston.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2010, 01:04:55 PM »

It's the 100th episode of BONES tonight, and the show flashes back to Booth and Bones' first case together (not the case in the pilot which I had heretofore thought was their first case.) Can't wait to see this. Zach is back which should be lots of fun since he and Hodgins had such a amicable bromance.

In the pilot, isn't it rather clear that she and Booth have worked in the past? She gives him hell about his having her stopped at the airport. Of course, I've been watching Season One every day for the past week so I'm really good about the first year!

I'll trust your knowledge since I haven't watched the first season in a long time. However, since I'm off today, I think I'll treat myself to the pilot tonight when I go back down. I've caught up on everything else I had on the DVR except GRAN TORINO.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2010, 01:09:28 PM »

Brody is most intrusive in HOLLYWOODLAND.....every time the story left George Reeves to concentrate on Brody's situation, I was incensed at the waste of time.....

Who cares?  It was the story of George Reeves.....or should have been.

Oh, boy, those were my exact feelings, and I have stated them here on several occasions. I despised every minute of the personal story of Adrian Brody's character. His ONLY purpose should have been in the investigation of the Reeves death. All of his personal baggage RUINED the movie.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2010, 01:12:24 PM »

And Lois Smith was completely wasted as Helen Besselo - I thought they could write a bravura role for her.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2010, 01:12:45 PM »

I liked Guy Ritchie's ROCK N ROLLA....actually.,

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2010, 01:14:40 PM »

Before I left for lunch, I had time to watch Tuesday night's IDOL performances. I found it surprising that a couple of people who are usually so good (like Crystal) weren't very good last night (despite the judges' raves for her) while someone who's generally so average or worse like Katie had a pure, beautiful performance.

In fact, I thought most everyone rose to the occasion except Andrew whom I really hated and Siobhan who I think is overrated.

When I read the results of last night's show this morning, I was expecting Michael to have forgotten the lyrics or something, but he did just fine with his choice. I think he was victim to  fans assuming he'd be safe and so they voted elsewhere. (Reuben Studdard almost went home one week early on, too, but after that shock, he was never in the bottom again. I suspect Michael will not have to worry for a while about being in the bottom.)

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2010, 01:15:23 PM »

I liked Guy Ritchie's ROCK N ROLLA....actually.,

I want to see that, but I keep missing it on paycable in HD. I'll catch up to it eventually.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2010, 01:17:36 PM »

When I got in, I still had no Blu-ray of COCOON, so I started watching DVR shows. I began with last night's UGLY BETTY, a beautiful wedding and reception for HIlda (I was truly weeping though much of it due to Justin's storyline) and some good plots going on for other characters.

I'm so very sorry this show is over next week. Hardly seems fair when the show is on such an artistic high right now.

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2010, 01:19:12 PM »

Then I watched the GLEE ON OPRAH episode in HD. Loved seeing the cast perform and answer questions. They seem like great people. Jane Lynch looked FABULOUS! Matthew Morrison is one talented guy!

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2010, 01:19:34 PM »

Next I skimmed through today's ONE LIFE TO LIVE. Nothing of interest.

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2010, 01:20:36 PM »

And I ended my afternoon with today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Luke, Reid, and Noah were on and the beginnings of the love triangle began forming. Thankfully, they're also on tomorrow so the storyline can pick up a little impetus.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2010, 01:23:06 PM »

Well I am off to our dress rehearsal where we performed for a can of green beans.

Pray for Rosemary's Baby.

It is the debut of THE COSTUME & WIG.

Matt H.

« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2010, 02:00:50 PM »

I've got some things to finish up in the office and then I'll head downstairs and begin my evening viewing.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2010, 02:07:24 PM »

DR Ginny, CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!!  I know this has made you very happy, your future daughter-in-law seems like a gem.

Their announcement on FB is very nice :)

Thank you, DR Jane!  I knew you'd be pleased with our news.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2010, 02:36:14 PM »

Then I watched the GLEE ON OPRAH episode in HD. Loved seeing the cast perform and answer questions. They seem like great people. Jane Lynch looked FABULOUS! Matthew Morrison is one talented guy!

I also loved it.  I can't wait for next week's spring premiere. It is scheduled from 9:28pm till 10:30pm.

Jennifer

« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2010, 02:37:55 PM »

I still haven't found the key i was looking for. And i've searched and searched. It is driving me crazy.

I'm 99% it's in my bedroom. But it's always been in one place under a rug in a little case. I've tried to see if maybe i moved the case, although i don't see why i would have done that.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2010, 02:50:30 PM »

Well I am off to our dress rehearsal where we performed for a can of green beans.

Pray for Rosemary's Baby.

It is the debut of THE COSTUME & WIG.

Post photos!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2010, 02:54:51 PM »

I watch SHERLOCK HOLMES the other night.  Utterly entertaining and also utter tosh!  Predictable plot (figured out the major twist before there was one).  Does not allow the audience to play detective along with Holmes.  Nor is there anything about the movie that distinguishes it as Sherlock Holmes.  It could have been any Victorian detective and his sidekick solving this mystery.  Rather like Jude Law's Watson more than Downey's Sherlock.  Sherlock is indulgent and self-absorbed, but not in the way Downey (or the script ) made him.  It also falls victim to what too many movies do these days...louder, bigger, and overwrought with CGI and special effects. I think drama is still about people.

Saw MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS.  Found it amusing and laughed a lot.  Enjoyed all the actors.  Story peters out a bit at the end.  Most amazing is the true stuff it's based on.

Best thing I've seen lately is a documentary about playwright John Osborne called JOHN OSBORNE AND THE GIFT OF FRIENDSHIP.  Absolutely mesmerizing!  The more I read by and about Osborne, the more I want to read.  A fascinating artist!

We finished SHERLOCK HOLMES last night.  Totally agree with your assessment.  It was better than many of the reviews had led us to believe, but it sure wasn't Arthur Conan Doyle.  Of course it looks like they set things up for a sequel with that little coda vis a vis Moriarty.

I had read that Guy Ritchie was planning a sequel while this first film was still in production. The overwhelming box-office success of the movie merely clinched the deal.

I thought that the recreation of 1890s London was sensational.

Once I forgot the fact (after about 20+ minutes) that the name of the movie was SHERLOCK HOLMES, I enjoyed it as an okay action/adventure piece.

But, I think that Conan Doyle & Basil Rathbone are probably spinning in their graves.
You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »

Was that the pay or the audience?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2010, 02:58:22 PM »

DR Elmore, was "There's Always A Woman" included in this ANYONE CAN WHISTLE?

No. It was lost in Boston.
I like that song, but felt it bogged down the action when it was included in the Bernadette Peters/Madeleine Kahn version. but then, as you have said, that whole production was somehow bogged down.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2010, 02:59:36 PM »

Brody is most intrusive in HOLLYWOODLAND.....every time the story left George Reeves to concentrate on Brody's situation, I was incensed at the waste of time.....

Who cares?  It was the story of George Reeves.....or should have been.

Oh, boy, those were my exact feelings, and I have stated them here on several occasions. I despised every minute of the personal story of Adrian Brody's character. His ONLY purpose should have been in the investigation of the Reeves death. All of his personal baggage RUINED the movie.
Wonder if there's enough footage where somebody could re-edit it into the movie it should have been. Affleck gave one of his better performances in that one.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2010, 03:06:39 PM »

Does opening night not work?  I didn't realize that.  Maybe the week after then.  That might be better anyway.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2010, 03:07:15 PM »

I was so behind in shipping I had to send out five large orders, and a bunch of smaller orders.  But it's all done and shipped now.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2010, 03:10:04 PM »

I still haven't found the key i was looking for. And i've searched and searched. It is driving me crazy.

I'm 99% it's in my bedroom. But it's always been in one place under a rug in a little case. I've tried to see if maybe i moved the case, although i don't see why i would have done that.

Good luck finding it.  I also am searching for something, one of the most precious items I owned as it belonged to my grandmother & then my mother.

John G.

« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »

Here's an interesting story on an upcoming release of Bing Crosby singing Broadway songs. Wouldn't mind hearing him do "Fine and Dandy."

http://www.theatermania.com/new-york/news/04-2010/bing-crosby-featured-on-bing-on-broadway-cd-to-be_26462.html
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2010, 03:51:06 PM »

bK, would you please make up your mind what date you are going to Olympia for that play! Us HHWers have to make our plans!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2010, 04:06:15 PM »

Good day one and all....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2010, 04:06:36 PM »

Vibes of support, health, mirth and magic to one and all....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up