Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WHY IS THIS NIGHT DIFFERENT FROM ALL OTHER NIGHTS?  (Read 13410 times)

Michael

Re:WHY IS THIS NIGHT DIFFERENT FROM ALL OTHER NIGHTS?
« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2006, 04:25:32 PM »

Michael S -  I'm just catching up, so I just saw your post from yesterday.  Those songs were recorded on Alix Korey's CD "Songs You Might Have Missed" back in 1989 or 1990 or so.  Not sure what to say about them, except that they're songs Skip wrote the music for, with lyrics by the respective people you mentioned.  Skip still gets some small royalties from that CD, and "I Almost Cry" has been recorded a couple of times on other CD's apparently as a result of Alix having recorded it.

Whatever happened to the musicals that they came from?
Never stop dreaming.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2006, 04:39:23 PM »

Just came in from some errands. It's HOT. Just beautiful.

A friend just told me about her cousin who a few of weeks ago moved here from San Francisco. A musician. His wife is 8 months pregnant. Their first night, they parked their U-Haul in front of their new digs in Studio City and went inside to sleep. Big thunderstorm that night. They came out in the morning and the U-Haul was gone. All their stuff - including his instruments, all sorts of new baby things, etc.  The police said that if they find the U-Haul it would probably be burned.
The U-haul was finally found today in a gang neighborhood . Burned. Which is apparently the MO for destroying any evidence left behind. They take the valuable stuff and burn all the rest so no fingerprints are left behind.
What a world!

On a brighter note (B-flat)... Must take Wonderdog for a walk. Then off to the DGA for a screening.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 04:40:29 PM by Maria »

Cillaliz

« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2006, 05:29:34 PM »

The thing about Carrot Girl is we sort of committed to her sight unseen. Well, I had seen images of her on the web; she looked the part and she came highly recommended. (I would never do that for anything but a 10-minute play that I didn't write).

So now I am directing  this girl who I know eats carrots in a very loud way, but I can never let on that I know, never can I let on, no.

You could always take some carrots and offer her one just to hear how loud she eats them

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2006, 05:56:34 PM »

Has anyone read this wonderful story of the girl who had two hearts inside her, her own heart and a transplanted one?  The doctors were able to remove the transplanted heart, restart her own heart, and now she is fine.
http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/men/news/health/s/210/210641_transplant_girl_gets_own_heart_back.html

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: April 13, 2006, 06:09:33 PM »

My goodness, we haz slowed to a crawl.  Just finished with most of the day's work, so I'll be toddling off to visit dear reader Hisaka for a couple of hours.   I'm really tired, though - I did manage to write close to four pages today, so that's nice.  I'm hoping by tomorrow I'll be to page thirty, which will be rather extraordinary considering I started this thing a week ago.

FJL

« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2006, 06:26:16 PM »

Happily, tax season at work has also slowed to a semi-crawl.  It was actually possible for all the Jews in the office to be released from slavery, I mean tax work, early today, with the Good Friday observers following suit (even though it's dress-down) tomorrow.  Of course, everybody who's anybody (or who wishes to be an employed anybody) will be there on Saturday, but still...

FJL

« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2006, 06:33:43 PM »

Michael S - I'm not sure what the status of BIG BLONDE is.  Skip's collaborator on that, Ellen Fitzhugh, also wrote a show with Skip that is done periodically called HERRINGBONE, though.  As to BLANCO (which is based on a Shaw play), a "newer" version of that show was done a long while back at Goodspeed and then in public presentations at the New Victory Theater, and talks of an upcoming  production keep surfacing from time to time, and one of the talkers seems absolutely serious about it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: April 13, 2006, 06:55:43 PM »

Let's look at Sunday the 7th or Thursday the 11th, OK?

DR Ginny, the 11th is out; I want to spend it with my Father and family before heading back.  Sorry!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2006, 07:04:42 PM »

I was gone all day yesterday and have finally caught up with ALL of the posts! :)

First of all,

~~~Best Vibles to DR Elmore's Father!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2006, 07:06:43 PM »

In other news, the Vixter's report card came and she is on the honor roll due to her getting her math grade up five points since last semester, and a total of 10 points since the first semester... thanks to DR WFO for being available for homework phone consultations!!!

Congratulations to the Vixter!!  I took algebra for two years in high school and mostly got Ds and a couple of Cs. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2006, 07:09:44 PM »

The thing about Carrot Girl is we sort of committed to her sight unseen. Well, I had seen images of her on the web; she looked the part and she came highly recommended. (I would never do that for anything but a 10-minute play that I didn't write).

So now I am directing  this girl who I know eats carrots in a very loud way, but I can never let on that I know, never can I let on, no.

HOPEFULLY she doesn't learn about Jason's posts here on HHW! :o Rodzinski, you must not tell her that you post messages here!!

;)

Jane

« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2006, 07:21:48 PM »

George-LOL-What a thought.

George

« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2006, 07:26:47 PM »

Yesterday (now that I've caught up), PennyO wrote about a reading that she's doing in May.  So...is it open to the public?  I have nothing planned for that weekend and would LOVE to see the reading and meet you in person!  Maybe I could pick up TCB, Jed and Ann on the way up!

Jane

« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2006, 07:42:19 PM »

Every year I get myself a little calendar I can keep in the bathroom drawer, the kind you tear off a daily page with pictures or cute little sayings.  This year I did something different & picked up one called “a little joy, a little oy”.    Oy is right.  For the most part it is stupid jokes and poorly written.  I do like the historical notes.  Today my history lesson is that the first “sandwich” was not invented by the Earl, but by Rabbi Hillel, during the first century, when he put apples, nuts, spices and wine between two matzo to eat with bitter herbs during Passover.

On that note I’ll say ‘night.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2006, 07:45:38 PM »

No way, George. I'll never tell. But what a small freakin' world!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #165 on: April 13, 2006, 07:58:10 PM »

~ ~ ~ ~ ~  MORE VIBES AND PRAYERS OF HEALTH FOR DR ELMOORE'S DA  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #166 on: April 13, 2006, 08:01:51 PM »

Re: Last night, Pogue, The Drifters "Sand in My Shoes" definitely different than the Frank Loesser classic.

Al Stewart also has a tune, "Sand in Your Shoes," from the "Year of the Cat" LP.

Three great tunes involving sand and shoes.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2006, 08:14:12 PM »

Had some interesting TV to watch tonight. Started off watching a gay-themed movie on one of the HBO channels that I already have on DVD, but it was on so I watched an hour of it - ALL OVER THE GUY. It's a quirky comedy-drama. Some of the dialogue seems over-written and rather purple, too movie-ish for reality. That said, it's still an enjoyable film, and at some point this weekend, I'll probably pull out the DVD and watch the whole thing. It's only about 95 minutes.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2006, 08:17:47 PM »

SMALLVILLE had an interesting premise that wasn't well thought-out at the end:

spoilers - - - - - - - - -

a girl with the ability to smash glass at will (but usually only when extremely agitated). Didn't think the final confrontation with her father made much sense in the fantasy world the episode created.

Matt H.

« Reply #169 on: April 13, 2006, 08:18:41 PM »

SUPERNATURAL had a chilling episode that I really enjoyed. I certainly hope they find room on the new network CW's schedule for this show.

Matt H.

« Reply #170 on: April 13, 2006, 08:20:11 PM »

And I ended the evening with a melancholy WITHOUT A TRACE

spoiler - - - - -

featuring a missing pregnant woman whose HIV status has developed into full blown AIDS. Betty Buckley played the woman's mother.

Matt H.

« Reply #171 on: April 13, 2006, 08:31:06 PM »

Making an (ealier) evening of it.

Good night, everyone!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #172 on: April 13, 2006, 09:03:38 PM »

Had some interesting TV to watch tonight. Started off watching a gay-themed movie on one of the HBO channels that I already have on DVD, but it was on so I watched an hour of it - ALL OVER THE GUY. It's a quirky comedy-drama. Some of the dialogue seems over-written and rather purple, too movie-ish for reality. That said, it's still an enjoyable film, and at some point this weekend, I'll probably pull out the DVD and watch the whole thing. It's only about 95 minutes.

I really like that movie!

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #173 on: April 13, 2006, 09:38:42 PM »

Congrats to the vixter
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #174 on: April 13, 2006, 09:41:25 PM »

DR DakotaCelt... I believe you mentioned that you were familar with the Brobdinagian Bards....I just cgot off the phone with Andrew.. they are coming to Long Island at the end of the month and we are going to put them up at our house for the weekend

Not quite in the same class as any of the hotels mentioned previously although I suspect our front room will rival elmore's fire escape for comfort!

That sounds like a blast. Have a great time...

I hope they delight you in tales and tunes during their stay.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #175 on: April 13, 2006, 09:45:11 PM »

TOD: My favorite place is actaully a resort on Maple Lake in northern Minnesota. It resembles the resort taht was used in Dirty Dancing. The cabins are beautiful!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #176 on: April 13, 2006, 09:46:28 PM »

I am out of town for the weekend at my parents and will pop in from time to time. Not overly tired at the moment but I have been figinting a headcold all week so i think I am going to go and lay on the couch and just watch the telly.

Pleasant dreams every one!!

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #177 on: April 13, 2006, 10:15:34 PM »

GEORGE!! Yes, the reading is open to the public - the Monday night one is at Hugo House. Take a look at www.mirrorstage.org - it has all the details, well, most of the details!
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #178 on: April 13, 2006, 10:22:49 PM »

Elmo - so sorry to read about your dad. It will be so good for you all to be together. You're in my heart.
PennyO

George

« Reply #179 on: April 13, 2006, 11:16:18 PM »

GEORGE!! Yes, the reading is open to the public - the Monday night one is at Hugo House. Take a look at www.mirrorstage.org - it has all the details, well, most of the details!

Yea!!  Unless something horrible happens, I plan to be there. ;D
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up