Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WHY IS THIS NIGHT DIFFERENT FROM ALL OTHER NIGHTS?  (Read 13256 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:WHY IS THIS NIGHT DIFFERENT FROM ALL OTHER NIGHTS?
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2006, 10:01:28 AM »

MBarnum-you stayed at much nicer hotels in NY than I did.  I would like a room that comes with a couple of cats. :)

Vixmon, congratulations to the Vixter.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2006, 10:10:23 AM »

Can you say TECHNOSTRESS?

I say it at least once, sometimes dozens of times, per day!!!
PennyO

Jane

« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2006, 10:16:54 AM »

CP we are always looking for new places to stay on our journey between Ashland & LA. San Ysidro Ranch looks perfect, If only it were located in the middle of the state and weren’t so pricey.  Pets are permitted, so if we ever get a dog we just might stop there.

Jennifer

« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2006, 10:19:06 AM »

DR MattH, re: AMERICAN IDOL and the American songbook category next week.  Rod Stewart is the singer this week. I've read that the choices are only HIS songs, but not all of them.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2006, 10:20:32 AM »

TOD - five years ago I took myself to Maui for the first time, for 3 weeks, as a reward for taking care of both of my parents by myself, 24/7 for a MONTH! when my mom had her lung cancer surgery.

I got a gig doing music therapy for a day treatment center for abused kids on Lanai twice a week. Well, the director of the program was so happy with the results in the first week, that I got a free weekend at that Rupert Murdoch super luxury hotel up the hill on Lanai (he also has one down at the dock...). I supped in sumptuous dining rooms, ordered room service for brunch, I played croquet - yes, I did - on the lawn, I strolled through lush gardens of tropical plants. My room was elegantly appointed, the staff were seamlessly cordial and discreet... boy oh boy, one could get used to something like that, I tell ya...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2006, 10:23:40 AM »

And the view!!! Oh, my, from that mountain height!! The sea stretching away forever in all directions, and the other islands like jewels in the sapphire expanse!!!

And down the road, a short hike away, a ranch with baby horses to talk to and stroke and feed carrots to... Heaven, I tell ya.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2006, 10:27:34 AM »

Then there is the serene and beautiful B&B in Ashland OR, which I have frequented frequently - Chez Lassner... A green expanse of lawn, dotted here and there with massive old trees, high on a hill. A house seemingly all windows opening onto spectacular views from every room. Designer kitchen, huge and inviting and somehow COZY Great Room, all beautifully furnished. Wonderful paintings and posters and art work. Walls of books. And the hosts are this funny little couple, about my age, coincidentally from Los Angeles...
PennyO

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2006, 10:28:44 AM »

Re: last night's IDOL, I was happy with the results. I don't think Elliot should have been in the bottom 3. But when there are only 8 left, and 3 have to be in the bottom, then there is not a lot of choice.

Hmmm...choice?  Paris, Taylor, Chris, Katherine and Kellie...none of whom is as good in general as Elliot, in any vocal sense of the word, and in terms of Tuesday night, Taylor and Katherine and Paris would have been more logical bottom-three contenders...IMO, of course.

:D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 10:30:28 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2006, 10:30:21 AM »

Okay, okay, okay--here's my Last Supper joke:

It's The Last Supper, and as the apostles are finishing their meal, Jesus Christ stands up and announces, "My brethern, this is the last time I shall ever break bread with you.  As I speak, the Roman Guard are on their way here to arrest me and it is because one of you has betrayed me."

The apostles are aghast!  They cannot fathom the idea that there might be a traitor in their midsts.  They all think so highly of each other that each begins to think that he might have done something inadvertantly to betray their master.

Luke comes up to Christ and asks, "Was it I, Lord?"

Jesus responds fondly to his follower.  "No, Luke, it was not you.  In fact, I happen to know that you have written great words about me, and those words will live forever."

Then Peter comes up to Christ and asks, "Was it I, Lord?"

Jesus turns to Peter and says, "No, Peter, it is not you.  Though there will shortly come a time when you will deny me, you do not have it in your heart to betray me.  It is not you, my brother."

Then Judas Iscariot comes up to Christ and asks, "Was it I, Lord?"

Jesus rolls his eyes and says, " "Was it I, Lord?  Was it I, Lord?" "
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2006, 10:33:00 AM »

willit post?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2006, 10:36:51 AM »

Vixmom!!! I LOVE that!
PennyO

vixmom

« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2006, 10:40:01 AM »

I just found this picture of MBarnum's cat!!

MBarnum

« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2006, 10:54:22 AM »

Yep Vixmom, Freddy likes his toys!

Jane

« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2006, 10:54:33 AM »

I love the cat, Keith also got a kick of it.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2006, 10:56:55 AM »

TOD - The Mirador in Vevey, Switzerland. On the north shore of Lake Geneva, near Montreux. Charlie Chaplin and his family lived in Vevey.  My ex-husband (then not the X-man) were traveling through Switzerland - and I discovered Le Mirador in a book. When I called, they had one room left, as I recall. Done deal. Here's a description from a travel site:

Luxury: The Mirador, 1801 Mont-Pelerin, is not only the top hotel in Vevey, it is literally on top of Vevey. Ascend the heights via the funicular railroad past grazing cattle, villas and vineyards to this Shangri-La, which maintains its own deer sanctuary. Almost all of the 87 opulently appointed rooms have stunning lake views. Hotel services include indoor and outdoor swimming, tennis, health club, extensive spa facilities, a golf simulator, whirlpool baths and an elegant restaurant, Le Trianon.

The golf simulator was something. You'd pick any famous golf course in the world and it would appear on a screen. Then you'd hit the ball (whatever the golf term is) against the screen and it would "travel" the course. I played it in the middle of the night (sober, thank you) and it was FUN.
As for the "elegant restaurant" - yes, indeed. The food was divine. X and I were in there one night, the only diners, except for two attractive women of a certain age, sitting near us, deep in conversation. They looked familiar. I finally realized it was Oona O'Neil Chaplin and her childhood friend Carol Matthau.

The medieval Chateau de Chillon, the fortified waterfront castle that Byron wrote of in Prisoner of Chillon is also near there. A fascinating place to visit. Talk about ghosts!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 10:59:39 AM by Maria »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2006, 11:00:49 AM »

I just received in the mail a demo tape from an artist who would like to come and perform at my church. Said demo ranks right up there with Mrs. Miller and Wing, I think.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

vixmom

« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2006, 11:08:05 AM »

Three blondes died and are at the pearly gates of heaven. St. Peter tells them they can enter Heaven if they can answer one simple question.
St. Peter asks the first blonde, "What is Easter?"

The first blonde replies, "Oh, that's easy! It's  the holiday in November when everyone gets together, eats turkey, and we are thankful for..."

"Wrong!" interrupts St. Peter, and proceeds to ask the second blonde the same question, "What is Easter?"  

The second blonde replies, "Easter is the holiday in December when we put up a nice tree, exchange presents and celebrate the birth of Jesus."

St. Peter looks at the second blonde, shakes his head in disgust, tells her she's wrong and then peers over his glasses at the third blonde and asks, "What is Easter?"

The third blonde smiles confidently and looks St. Peter in the eyes, "I know what Easter is."

"Oh?" say St. Peter, incredulously.

"Easter is the Christian holiday that coincides with the Jewish celebration of Passover. Jesus and his disciples were eating at the Last Supper and Jesus was later deceived and turned over to the Romans by one of his disciples. The Romans took him to be crucified and he was stabbed in the side, made to wear a crown of thorns and was hung on a cross with nails through his hands. He was buried in a nearby cave which was sealed off by a large boulder."

St. Peter smiles broadly with delight..........

The third blonde continues,

"Every year the boulder is moved aside so that Jesus can come out... and if he sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter.

vixmom

« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2006, 11:08:56 AM »

I just received in the mail a demo tape from an artist who would like to come and perform at my church. Said demo ranks right up there with Mrs. Miller and Wing, I think.

Was it Rexella?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2006, 11:27:19 AM »

No, some man who sings awful Christian rock songs. I had to turn it off. It's not fun like Mrs. Miller and Wing.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2006, 11:31:42 AM »

DR TCB - Max's songs are in, as are I Have Confidence and Something Good from the movie.  My Favorite Things moves to the thunderstorm scene, and I am not sure what happens to the poor goatherd, but time will tell.  The only song GONE, as far as I know is An Ordinary Couple.

Thanks, Jrand.  Are there two versions of this epic floating around, or did our local director take a klnife to the libretto?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2006, 11:37:17 AM »

The two nicest hotels I stayed at were both in NY...The Rodzinski-Tpunk Arms was quite elegant and even allowed pets...actually the pets were included with the room...the staff was friendly and they had a chair (no doubt nailed down) in the living room that was to die for (couldn't figure out a way to get it stuffed into my suitcase). OH, and the place is right across the street from the subway!

Then there was The Elmore Plaza. Cozy and cute with tons of reading material available as well as music piped in upon request. The staff was somewhat grumpy but the coffee was free. Oh, and the sleeping quarters were on the fire escape which I thought was quite unique.

I never did make it over to Jose Piano's No Tell Motel But I understand it is quite booked up.

Very cute post, Mike!

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2006, 12:15:38 PM »

Then there was The Elmore Plaza. Cozy and cute with tons of reading material available as well as music piped in upon request. The staff was somewhat grumpy but the coffee was free. Oh, and the sleeping quarters were on the fire escape which I thought was quite unique.

Hee hee!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2006, 12:22:41 PM »

DR DakotaCelt... I believe you mentioned that you were familar with the Brobdinagian Bards....I just cgot off the phone with Andrew.. they are coming to Long Island at the end of the month and we are going to put them up at our house for the weekend

Not quite in the same class as any of the hotels mentioned previously although I suspect our front room will rival elmore's fire escape for comfort!

Jane

« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2006, 12:26:08 PM »

elmore how is your father today?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2006, 12:30:40 PM »

The thing about Carrot Girl is we sort of committed to her sight unseen. Well, I had seen images of her on the web; she looked the part and she came highly recommended. (I would never do that for anything but a 10-minute play that I didn't write).

So now I am directing  this girl who I know eats carrots in a very loud way, but I can never let on that I know, never can I let on, no.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 12:32:15 PM by Rodzinski »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2006, 12:31:37 PM »

Great customer feedback, MBarnum. We aims to please. As do the cats.

Jane

« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2006, 12:33:07 PM »

LOL-what do you do when she begins to eat a carrot?  You are going to be on the floor laughing and she will be totally bewildered.   This image has been running through my head all morning. ;D ;D ;D

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2006, 12:33:23 PM »

The Ben Franklin Inn in Omaha, Nebraska. Enough said.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2006, 12:35:19 PM »

HaHa! Jane! You've given me a great idea. I'll make carrot-eating part of her stage business. Then I'll invite Jason out to the show. Then we're guaranteed at least one howl of laughter at one point during the run.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2006, 12:41:24 PM »

elmore how is your father today?

The official news today is not so good as the post-surgery report:  my brothers were told today that his cancer on a scale of 1-5, with 5 as the worst, is a 4.  The report from one brother that it's spread to his lymph nodes was denied by the other, so that's vague still.  The hospital has mentioned a possible Saturday release, and he's not confirmed his next convalescant resident, although both brothers are making room for him.  When I go back next month, I will most likely stay at my father's house whether he's there or not.  He may be home by that point.  We'll see.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up