Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WHY IS THIS NIGHT DIFFERENT FROM ALL OTHER NIGHTS?  (Read 13239 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WHY IS THIS NIGHT DIFFERENT FROM ALL OTHER NIGHTS?
« on: April 13, 2006, 12:12:00 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know what the eternal question is, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're still having leftover gefilte fish.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 12:14:36 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WHY IS THIS NIGHT DIFFERENT FROM ALL OTHER NIGHTS?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 12:12:31 AM »

And the word of the day is: STIGMATISM!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 04:07:15 AM »

Good morning, all!  I kept having a repeating dream involving an E-9th chord, God knows why, so I decided to get up at 6:25 with the alarm.  I have some Toyland work this morning, a small bit of IRS frustration, and then few plans after that beyond calling my father to check in on him.

After signing off, I read my Playbill from last evening and learned that the brainchildren of THE DROWSY CHAPERONE are involved with SLINGS AND ARROWS, my favorite tv show, which is coming out of DVD in the fall, and that a season 3 is in the works.  O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

TOD:  When I worked on the Chicago Humanities Festival in 2003, my first presentation of excerpts from Eubie Blake's TAN MANHATTAN was in June.  The CHF put me up in this glorious hotel built, I would guess, around 1900.  I cannot remember the name of the hotel, but it was a block below Michigan Avenue, and about a block from the Chicago Art Institute:  I saw the Seurat "Sunday on the Grande Jatte" painting for the first time.  Vague?  Well, I feel quite vague at the moment.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 04:37:50 AM »

Good Morning Tom!

Ben

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 04:39:03 AM »

Larry, I'm glad you liked Drowsy. I may even see it a third time!

Yes, when I read the Playbill I was quite excited to see they plan Season 3 of Slings and Arrows.

Ben

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 04:42:06 AM »

I've stayed in nice hotels but never a First Class high falutin' kind of hotel. I've been to the Palace in New York which is, indeed, on Madison Avenue and 50th Street. I have never stayed there but a friend did stay there and said it was an amazing experience.

Palace

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 04:47:55 AM »

I guess I don't know from Slings and Arrows.

Hmmmm....I am thinking that last night's eliminated team from TAR would have had a 15 minutes penalty as well since they also did what a couple of other teams did....  Sorry to see them go, though.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 04:50:09 AM »

Well the director has cast 50 people in THE SOUND OF MUSIC and created non-existent characters for some (son for the butler, daughter for the maid) and it will be chaos....but I am out of it!!

DR TCB - Max's songs are in, as are I Have Confidence and Something Good from the movie.  My Favorite Things moves to the thunderstorm scene, and I am not sure what happens to the poor goatherd, but time will tell.  The only song GONE, as far as I know is An Ordinary Couple.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 04:50:27 AM »

Sheraton Bal Harbour in Miami.  Oh it was very nice!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 04:50:34 AM »

Off to work.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 04:50:48 AM »

Well, folks, last night was different from all other nights for me because I did something I haven't done for 15 years!

I took part in a cold reading of some new plays!

A friend from college is still in "the biz". He also teaches Graduate Playwrighting at NYU. Part of the class routine is to have the new scripts read cold by actors so the playwrights can hear the work. Steve asked if I was free and lo and behold I was! I was also interested. As I said, I haven't done anything (other than my BBC reviews) since 1991. It was great fun. Sitting with other actors fummfing through a cold reading brought back great memories. I know why I loved it so much. For the first time in years I missed being part of something like that. If being an actor in New York was this much fun all the time it would be a great treat. I have no plans to suddenly jump ship and re-enter the world of theatre but it's nice to know that I can still put on the robes, so to speak, and jump into the fray. It makes me appreciate my BBC gig, which, even though it's not consistent, still gives me the creative punch that doesn't come from manipulating data.

Happy Camper  ;D

Ben

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 04:53:06 AM »

JR, if you have Sundance Channel look for Slings and Arrows. I don't know if they are running Season One at all but they just recently finished Season Two and they may be running it at odd times throughout the broadcast day.

We actually don't have Sundance ourselves. Anthony's folks have it on Long Island and Rose recorded the show for us. That's how we saw Season One and we are watching Season Two right now. Season One is due out on DVD at some point.

Tomovoz

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 05:02:11 AM »

Hello DR's Ben and Jack
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 05:06:44 AM »

Favourite Hotel  - Montreux Palace.  Old world charm and overlooks the lake. (Geneva!)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 04:00:03 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 05:07:20 AM »

Larry, I'm glad you liked Drowsy. I may even see it a third time!

DRBen, has Anthony seen it?  I think he would be perfect as a replacement.

Gotta go!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 05:07:28 AM »

Good morning Michael.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 05:08:44 AM »

Stigmata - is that the song collection from "Police"?
"King of Pain" etc.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 05:09:22 AM »

Hello and goodbye Mr Moore.
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2006, 05:13:57 AM »

Good Morning Tom
Catching Up on the posts
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2006, 05:15:44 AM »

I think I stayed at the Hemsley Palace. If it wasn't that one it was another Hemsley in the general area. I have no memory of it though.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2006, 05:17:30 AM »

FOR DR FJL:

I am repeating a post from yesterday:

I was updating my info on my ITUNES list and I came across two songs by Skip Kennon (other than Last Starfighter)

I Shut the Door (Lyrics by Michael Korie) from the musical Blanco
I Almost Cry (Lyrics By Ellen Fitzhugh) from the musical Big Blonde

Can DR FJL give us a little more background to them?
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2006, 05:49:07 AM »

RE:  THE AMAZIN' RACE

SPOILERS O'PLENTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I don't know from Slings and Arrows.

Hmmmm....I am thinking that last night's eliminated team from TAR would have had a 15 minutes penalty as well since they also did what a couple of other teams did....  Sorry to see them go, though.

I was not happy about last night's TAR in a number of ways.  First of all, the cable signal for just that particualr channel was a'blinkin' and a'flickerin' with ghosts, so watching the show was not easy on my eyes.  Secondly, the DaVinci thing, which sounded intriguing in the written promos, turned out to be a lame product placement for the coming movie.  (This also resulted in what had to be the lamest race prize ever, but then, considering the ease with which the frat boys won this leg, it's perhaps entirely deserving.)

It was interesting to see the drastic change of energy in the hippies when they realized the huge mistake they had made.  

I still have no idea what that "It's All Greek To Me" task was all about.  I guess it was all Greek to me.

Not sorry to see the dentist go.  Talk about a heart attack waiting to happen.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2006, 06:04:17 AM »

Larry, no Anthony hasn't seen it yet. He wants to wait until he returns from Virginia. I agree, he would be perfect in the show.

FJL

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2006, 06:30:05 AM »

Michael S -  I'm just catching up, so I just saw your post from yesterday.  Those songs were recorded on Alix Korey's CD "Songs You Might Have Missed" back in 1989 or 1990 or so.  Not sure what to say about them, except that they're songs Skip wrote the music for, with lyrics by the respective people you mentioned.  Skip still gets some small royalties from that CD, and "I Almost Cry" has been recorded a couple of times on other CD's apparently as a result of Alix having recorded it.

Jennifer

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2006, 06:51:48 AM »

AMAZING RACE SPOILERS

RE:  THE AMAZIN' RACE

SPOILERS O'PLENTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I was not happy about last night's TAR in a number of ways.  First of all, the cable signal for just that particualr channel was a'blinkin' and a'flickerin' with ghosts, so watching the show was not easy on my eyes.  Secondly, the DaVinci thing, which sounded intriguing in the written promos, turned out to be a lame product placement for the coming movie.  (This also resulted in what had to be the lamest race prize ever, but then, considering the ease with which the frat boys won this leg, it's perhaps entirely deserving.)

It was interesting to see the drastic change of energy in the hippies when they realized the huge mistake they had made.  

I still have no idea what that "It's All Greek To Me" task was all about.  I guess it was all Greek to me.

Not sorry to see the dentist go.  Talk about a heart attack waiting to happen.

I agree the DaVinci thing was a bit much. But I LOVED last night's show.  I disagree that the hippies energy changed. In fact I was surprised at how well they handled things. They kept up with the same funny attitude.

And I loved the ending.  

At first when I thought the hippies would lose, I was praying for a non-elim. Then when i saw them miraculously come in i was praying for an elimination. I was totally expecting it to be a non-elim. So i was jumping for joy when the dentist got the boot. I can't believe he called his wife a bitch on tv last night!

Good episode. But how on earth did the hippies get 2 hours behind just because they went too far on the highway? And how did the yeller guy get lost at the end (enough for the hippies to pass them???).

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2006, 07:08:17 AM »

The two nicest hotels I stayed at were both in NY...The Rodzinski-Tpunk Arms was quite elegant and even allowed pets...actually the pets were included with the room...the staff was friendly and they had a chair (no doubt nailed down) in the living room that was to die for (couldn't figure out a way to get it stuffed into my suitcase). OH, and the place is right across the street from the subway!

Then there was The Elmore Plaza. Cozy and cute with tons of reading material available as well as music piped in upon request. The staff was somewhat grumpy but the coffee was free. Oh, and the sleeping quarters were on the fire escape which I thought was quite unique.

I never did make it over to Jose Piano's No Tell Motel But I understand it is quite booked up.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 07:09:33 AM by MBarnum »

Ginny

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2006, 07:19:05 AM »

DR MBarnum - LOL  ;D ;D ;D
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2006, 07:20:43 AM »

DR TCB - Max's songs are in, as are I Have Confidence and Something Good from the movie.  My Favorite Things moves to the thunderstorm scene, and I am not sure what happens to the poor goatherd, but time will tell.  The only song GONE, as far as I know is An Ordinary Couple.

Our production did not add "I Have COnfidence" but it id subsitute "Something Good" for "An Ordinary Couple" (my least favorite Rodgers son is "An Ordinary Couple"). "The Lonely Goatherd was sung during the Festival in the second act. "My Favorite Things" was shifted to the bedrom a la the movie.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2006, 07:22:13 AM »

Good morning!

Partly cloudy skies here but it's going to be near 80 today which should make for a fine day.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2006, 07:25:27 AM »

Best hotel I've ever stayed was te Las Brisas in Acapulco. I think I've talked about it before. The hotel was actually bungalos on the side of a mountain. Each bungalo had its own pool and each room was furnished its own pink jeep (if you could drive) to get down (or up) to the office where vehicles were stored. Fresh fruit and sourdough rolls brought to your room three timesa day. I mean, it was sheer heaven.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up