Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEEKEND COMETH  (Read 24958 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:THE WEEKEND COMETH
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2006, 01:25:46 PM »

So...BK, are you going out to the Book Fair at the Airport today or tomorrow.  If so, give my regards to our mutual pal, Mr. Nigel Williams.  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2006, 01:30:28 PM »

And I fully agree that Plushenko blew everyone else away last night with his jumping, and since so much of the point totals are given for content, well, there was no one who matched him there. It was the presentation score that I thought was severely padded.

Still, he put together two excellent technical programs with well executed content no one could match, and that's what it takes to win the gold now.

Old timers like me remember when one could rack up a huge lead in school figures and not even have to do double jumps in the free skate to win. Trixie Shuba, the 1972 Olympic champion, did it with ease. No one even came close to catching her though she was outskated in the free skate by all four of the skaters who scored beneath her in total points.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2006, 01:31:59 PM »

I also finished disc 5 of the CSI set. This included the episode set in Los Angeles as Brass goes looking for his now-prostitute daughter.

I thought of the LA denizens when one scene took place at Musso & Franks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2006, 01:37:15 PM »

I'll be at the book fair tomorrow and will indeed say hey to Nigel.

MBarnum

« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2006, 01:42:57 PM »

I found out today that my 3 1/2 year old grandneice's favorite TV program is DANCING WITH THE STARS! I thought that was wonderful and now I think it might be the right time for Uncle Mike to introduce Taylor to movie musicals!

I am thinking some Shirley Temple or Judy Garland films.

Tomovoz

« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2006, 01:52:43 PM »

I think Dancing with The Stars is aimed at an audience of your grandniece's age.  But then so is so much Television!

LOL
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2006, 02:00:35 PM »

I think Dancing with The Stars is aimed at an audience of your grandniece's age.  But then so is so much Television!

LOL

Well, it is mom's favorite TV show also!

MBarnum

« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2006, 02:02:45 PM »

And now for my first Bollywood movie of the long weekend (I am hoping to get at least 2 or 3 out of the way this weekend!)...

GOMTI KE KINARE (1972) starring some of my favorite Indian actress...Mumtaz, Helen, and and the lovely Meena Kumari in one of her last movie roles before she passed away.

I think this is one of those women's pictures.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2006, 02:05:25 PM »

I popped THE STING in the player for a few minutes right at the end of the afternoon, but I'll skip through it to sections I really like. I'd like to see M. HULOT'S HOLIDAY tonight. It's only 87 minutes long, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2006, 02:05:50 PM »

IN JUSTICE also has a new episode on tonight.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2006, 02:09:55 PM »

DR DakotaCelt - what did you see at the Salt lake Olympics?  I am very jealous, I've always wanted to go to a Winter Games

It was a pre-Olympic gathering for members of the Curling team... Relatives of two of the team members arranged for us to watch on large screen tellys the broadcasts. We watched Figure skating and curling... I rather like the sport of curling.

DR Jennifer, curling is surprisingly popular in these parts...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 02:12:39 PM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2006, 02:14:24 PM »

Darn!  Now I want to listen to WSS and all I have handy is the Japanese recording.  Oh, well--that will do.

Last night, I got a notice from the post office that a package has arrived for me and needs to be signed for and picked up.  It's from Footlight!  I ordered the Prague cast recording of Les Misérables[/b][/u] back in September and it's finally here!! ;D I took my car in to get the 93,000 and 96,000 mile services and they're coming to pick me up now.  When I get my car, I'm going to the post office to get my package!!

Also in my CD player:  two CDs that I just got yesterday, the original soundtrack to "Meet Me in St. Louis" and the original cast recording of A Family Affair.  But before those will be the CDs that I received from DakotaCelt and some songs by The Manhattan Transfer from an Internet buddy from Utah.

In my VCR:  a tape to tape tonight's shows.  I'm ushering for a solo acoustic guitar concert here in Olympia by Leo Kottke.  Last night, I watched "Battlestar Galactica," but didn't get to either "Lost" or "Invasion."  I pretty much have the three-day weekend free, so they will be watched very soonly.

In my DVD player:  "Groundhog Day" (still), through kind courtesy of DR Matt H!  After that will be some movies from Netflix and one that I rented at a local video store, "The Machinist."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2006, 02:16:35 PM »

Got to hurry down now and finish the cleaning chore for the day. Then, it's on to TV for the evening!

Cillaliz

« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2006, 02:16:54 PM »

Well, it is mom's favorite TV show also!

LOL I was just about to say the same thing. My mother never misses it!

Jed

« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2006, 02:26:51 PM »

I'm not ashamed to admit... I'm watching curling right now and, by God, I'm enjoying it!  :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2006, 02:40:50 PM »

No offence to anyone intended.  DwtS (the Oz version) rates very well here too.. My Mother would have enjoyed it.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Cillaliz

« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2006, 02:48:43 PM »

No offence to anyone intended.  DwtS (the Oz version) rates very well here too.. My Mother would have enjoyed it.

No offense taken here, I watch it too, for that matter

Cillaliz

« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2006, 02:52:00 PM »

Well, I've almost made it through the entire day, hoo and ray...I'm about to head home for left over roast beef and rice with steamed veges and a big glass of milk.  

I'm trying to decide if I want to see a local performance of CLOSER tonight.  It's in a funky new performance space with no advance ticket sales. I'm anxious to see it as two friends are in it, but it's so cold out I think it may have to wait until tomorrow...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2006, 02:53:36 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Hmm... "The Color Purple" is on HBO.  Guess my evening's TV viewing has begun.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2006, 02:59:54 PM »

DR Ginny - I rather like "As I Am".  I used to play in a CCM band when I was in college, and there's still something appealing about pop music with a "message".  My favorite track has to be her tribute to Sandy Patti, complete with all the Sandy Patti modulations and high notes.

I also remember hearing Kristin during the Metropolitan Opera Council rounds, and the sound of her voice on this record sounds very close to her sound back then.  The 'cutesy' edge - which can sometimes get on my nerves - is not there.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2006, 03:01:19 PM »

Well... Time to start some Italian Sausage with Peppers, Mushroom and Onions...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2006, 03:29:05 PM »

We're almost through here - we would have had another hour, but with my editor's mistake, we can't do that work.  So, I may get back home earlier than planned, which will give me an hour to relax.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2006, 03:41:29 PM »

the DP just took me to pick out my b-day present.  I'm now a proud owner of a Ukelele.  I'm too too excited!!!

François de Paris

« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2006, 03:47:43 PM »

DR Ginny - I rather like "As I Am".  I used to play in a CCM band when I was in college, and there's still something appealing about pop music with a "message".  My favorite track has to be her tribute to Sandy Patti, complete with all the Sandy Patti modulations and high notes.

I also remember hearing Kristin during the Metropolitan Opera Council rounds, and the sound of her voice on this record sounds very close to her sound back then.  The 'cutesy' edge - which can sometimes get on my nerves - is not there.

Sorry for expressing my insignificant opinion, but I just wish Kristin would have learnt to sing not SO MUCH through her nose! Her voice would gain in "grandeur" because she's NOT Barbara Cook at all! Not that she has to be either!(I'm referring to "her" Glitter And Be Gay!)

I like her voice except for those dreadful nasal sounds!

François de Paris

« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2006, 03:53:28 PM »

the DP just took me to pick out my b-day present.  I'm now a proud owner of a Ukelele.  I'm too too excited!!!

Should we call you Cliff Edwards or Ike?! ;)

Or.... George Formby?!!

George

« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2006, 04:09:35 PM »

I have never paid attention to ratings except when I had to fight with the ratings board over the Nudie Musical rating (they wanted to give it an X, but we got the R finally).

BK, did you have to make changes/cuts in the movie or did you just argue your case?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2006, 04:11:30 PM »

George Formby played his own special, what he called, "banjo-lele"

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2006, 04:11:48 PM »

I think that my AOL service has finally gone over the edge.  Their headline news story on my AOL main screen is a story telling me that Coretta Scott King has died..... apparently again.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2006, 04:13:32 PM »

Or maybe Matthew wants to be the next Earl Scruggs

George

« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2006, 04:15:17 PM »

I think that my AOL service has finally gone over the edge.  Their headline news story on my AOL main screen is a story telling me that Coretta Scott King has died..... apparently again.

Again??  Don't you hate it when that happens! ;)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up