Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEEKEND COMETH  (Read 24415 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE WEEKEND COMETH
« on: February 17, 2006, 12:04:32 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes cameth, and now it is time for you to post until the cows cometh home - they're trying to find the iceman so they can both cometh together and kill two birds with one stone or, conversely, kill one stone with two birds.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 12:11:55 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE WEEKEND COMETH
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 12:06:58 AM »

And the word of the day is: STYPTIC!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 12:15:40 AM »

TOTD:
DVD: The Constant Gardener
CD: Brian Wilson "Smile"
       Graeme connors "The Here And Now"
        Gilbert O' Sullivan "Best of.."

Vinyl: The Cascades  "The Last Leaf"/"Shy Girl"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 12:16:56 AM »

Bk, you will enjoy Christina's cd... It is lovely...

I may have to locate a new copy... Mine is starting to show the signs of being played too much...

MEDIA CHeck and it will change as the day progesses

CD: THe CHieftains: Long Journey Home
       Leahy
       Capercaillie

Computer: Robert Clary sings Ira Gershwin and Jerome Kern

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 12:17:53 AM »

"Styptic"  Weren't they a Thrash Band of the Early 80's.  Maybe a trash band!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 12:18:12 AM »

DR Tomovoz, Are you familiar with Tom Wilkinson??
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 12:19:36 AM »

bk, i actually have a couple of video clips of Matt and Christina performing together... "Baby, It's cold outside" and a piece from The King and I "I Have Loved"

Danise

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 03:47:17 AM »

Good morning all!  

Just popping in to wish everyone a good day!

I C U, DR Elmore.   ;D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 04:15:16 AM »

Good morning, all!  I just missed you, DR Danise.  I hope your day is as wonderful as you.  I see the barber this morning, so I'm trying to get myself energized.  So far, no go.

Nothing special today:  barber, Toyland, notes musical and notes verbal, perhaps some choral work.

TOD:  
  CD:  Hoodwinked soundtrack, Transamerica soundtrack, Guy Haines, Ravel chamber music, Babes in Toyland
  DVD:  Thriller with Boris Karloff, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
  VHS:  La Cheapa!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 04:56:47 AM »

Morning all.

Work CDs: How Now, Dow Jones (OBC - is there any other recording?); Shenandoah (OBC); Pajama Game (OBC); 110 in the Shade (OBC); The Most Happy Fella (1992 OBC); Follies (OBC); A Wrinkle in Swingtime (a great standards album by Elena Bennett with Fred Barton (from Miss Gulch Returns) and his Orchestra)

Home DVD: We will watch 200 American some time this weekend, another video gift from the generous and lovely Mr. Moore.

Home VCR: While I ride the bike I will probably finish watching the final episodes of the Sopranos. Anthony's mother taped them since we no longer have HBO. I've watched them off and on since we got the tapes quite a while ago. She will tape the new episodes as well and I will watch them when I get around to it.

Home CD: Anthony went to the library on Wednesday and found some nice CDs. Florodora, a couple of very good Gershwin CDs and the London cast recording of Sail Away (produced by the company that shall not be named) and the studio recording of Billion Dollar Baby.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 05:13:40 AM »

I saw Ring of Fire last night. It's a well performed country music concert in a Broadway theatre (the Barrymore or Ethel Barrymore depending on how much you know about that theatre) but what it is not, IMHO, is a Broadway musical (even in the Jukebox category). There are some very nice moments and Jarod Emmick is very good as one of the pseudo Johnny Cash figures but it doesn't add up to much. The few snatches of dialogue (maybe two pages total in 2 hours) that try to string the piece together don't add anything to the piece. It doesn't try to tell the story of Johnny Cash. Instead, it uses his music to "tell the story of America". Uhhh, I don't think so. There are three different "Johnny Cash" type performers playing at different periods in the show (Emmick being one of them) and while they are all good they don't have much to do except sing country songs, walk with a swagger and play guitars. Well over half the cast members are making their Broadway debuts in the show. It's being done under an AGVA (American Guild of Variety Artists) contract, not an Equity contract (not that it makes much difference, just thought I would mention that for those of you interested).

I liked the first act but I'm not a big fan of hard core country music and I got bored in the second act.

I don't know how this show will be received by the critics or the theatre going audience. At 7:30 when I walked past the TKTS Booth tickets were still available and the performance was not sold out. Even though Country Music seems to be popular in New York I think it's going to be a hard sell for this show. The press keeps talking about a new kind of Broadway musical but I didn't see anything new or inventive or exciting. The stage is bare except for the musical instruments and a screen (thank you Woman in White) which uses projections of rural America and train tracks and honky tonks, etc. Except for the Grand Old Opry sequence the cast looks like they came off the street and walked on stage. That's good, I guess??? I don't know. I didn't know what to expect when I went and I'm still puzzling about what I saw. I got heavily discounted tickets ($30) but if I had paid full price ($101.25 or $86.25, NOTHING less than that unless you get your tickets at TKTS or through TDF or another discount house) I think I would have been a mite upset. Or, maybe I'm wrong. Concert prices have certainly gone up also, so I'm told. I can't remember the last time I was at a concert.

Anyway, that's my take on the next entry in the Jukebox Musical sweepstakes. I'll be surprised if it's a hit but I don't know if it has the potential for any kind of run.

Later, gaters.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 05:21:41 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 05:14:20 AM »

All alone! I guess I scared Larry off. Or he's going early to the Barber. Is your barber in Seville, perhaps?

Ben

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 05:15:32 AM »

Oh, by the way, since I shave with a very high quality Braun electric razor I have little use for a STYPTIC pencil.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 05:49:20 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]MEDIA CHECK MEDIA CHECK MEDIA CHECK MEDIA CHECK MEDIA CHECK MEDIA CHECK MEDIA CHECK MEDIA CHECK MEDIA CHECK MEDIA CHECK MEDIA CHECK MEDIA CHECK MEDIA CHECK MEDIA YO MAMA CHECK MEDIA CHECK MEDIA CHECK MEDIA CHECK MEDIA CHECK MEDIA CHECK MEDIA CHECK MEDIA CHECK[/move]

iPod:  THE PAJAMA GAME OCR  --I need to buy a copy of the rerelease--I didn't realize that there was some new material with the actual original cast included on it.

Tivo:  This week's LOST and INVASION.  

DR Elmore will be glad to know that I'm finally all caught up with BLEAK HOUSE.  Gosh, it is such a wonderful presentation!  Poor Ester!  Poor Lady Deadlock!  Can either of them take any more bad news?  I pity them!  I pity them both, I do!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 05:50:08 AM »

Good Morning, DR Laura!

Good Morning, DR Ben!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 05:56:54 AM »

Good morning Dan! The re-release of PG includes three interviews with Jerry Ross. They are all the same interview broken into different segments. The clips are from Stage Struck, a CBS radio program hosted by Mike Wallace. We also get The World Around Us sung by John Raitt, There Once Was a Man w/Raitt and Paige and Hernando's Hideaway w/Richard Adler doing vocal and Jerry Ross playing piano.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 06:06:23 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006, 05:58:48 AM »

Listed in the cast as a "worker" is the soon to be well known choreographer, Peter Gennaro. One of the singers/chorus listed is Virginia Martin, who played young Belle in the original production of Little Me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2006, 06:17:15 AM »

The men's figure skating long programs were overall so much improved over what I saw the other night.  Much better music choices and choreography (though still not as interesting as I recall from previous Winter Olympics.)  And like DR Matt said last night, this new scoring is full of holes.  It's still incomprehensible to me how the silver and bronze medal winners took a few spills during their programs and still scored high enough to gain the podium while a few others skated flawless and artistically pleasing programs and wound up with lower scores.  This system needs revamping again.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2006, 06:21:56 AM »

Listed in the cast as a "worker" is the soon to be well known choreographer, Peter Gennaro. One of the singers/chorus listed is Virginia Martin, who played young Belle in the original production of Little Me.

Another little tid-bit of theatre trivia I learned from Chita Riveria--Peter Gennaro was responsible for the choreography of "America" and "The Dance At The Gym" in WSS.  
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2006, 06:23:22 AM »

Darn!  Now I want to listen to WSS and all I have handy is the Japanese recording.  Oh, well--that will do.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2006, 06:28:13 AM »

Friday greetings!  My workday ended badly yesterday, so I'm just putting one foot in front of the other to get through today and onto a 3-day weekend.

Media check - CD(car) - audiobook White Teeth by Zadie Smith, narrated by Jenny Sterlin.

DVD - movies recommended here last week, Latter Days and Big Eden.

VCR - nothing
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2006, 06:33:45 AM »

~~~~BETTER DAY AT WORK VIBES~~~~ for Ginny
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2006, 06:35:08 AM »

Ginny, The Vixter was very impressed with your Hairspray story!!  She was also very annoyed with me when she found out you had been back in New York and we hadn't gone in to see you.  I think you have been adopted!

vixmom

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2006, 06:36:21 AM »

I tried to wactch the nmens figure skating but they showed it too late, I sat through all the snowboarding and fell asleep inmy chair.  Next thing I knew Vixdad was prodding me to go up to bed and the figure skating was over... blast!!

vixmom

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2006, 06:37:13 AM »

Another very busy day at work so I'll be E & T here.  I'll try and catch up over the weekend! Laters!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2006, 06:41:45 AM »

I tried to wactch the nmens figure skating but they showed it too late, I sat through all the snowboarding and fell asleep inmy chair.  Next thing I knew Vixdad was prodding me to go up to bed and the figure skating was over... blast!!

Yes--the snowboarding cross (or whatever it's called) was a gas!  It was very exciting to watch and had me hootin' and hollerin' as the 'boarders raced each other down the slopes.  I would love to be able to do that!  Ah, to be thirty years younger...
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2006, 06:42:13 AM »

Good Morning!

Well... I tried to catch up on the posts last night, but my eyes - and the rest of my body - just wanted to rest, get some sleep... So they... I did.

;)

-But I'm all caught up now, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2006, 06:43:17 AM »

As for "Lost"...  I wondered if the person in the picture was "that person".

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2006, 06:44:26 AM »

Ben - Concert prices HAVE gotten insane in recent years.  For recent Elton John and Bette Midler concerts, orchestra tickets at Radio City were being sold for $250, and that's AT THE BOX OFFICE or through Ticketmaster (not scalpers), and for ordinary orchestra seats, not premium or anything like that.  I think the part of the audience for which theatergoing is a special event (a few times a year) has gotten used to paying such prices for other events, especially if they're on expense accounts, which I think is a theory for why premium seats on Broadway are somehow being sold, espceially for shows that have managed to position themselves as "hot" tickets.  

MBarnum

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2006, 06:44:33 AM »

Media Check:

CD:
Kid Creole and the Coconuts

DVD:
GUEST IN THE HOUSE (1944) starring Anne Baxter and Ralph Bellamy.

MEN IN WAR starring Robert Ryan, Aldo Ray, and Race Gentry.

VHS:
Last nights SURVIVOR.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up