Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEEKEND COMETH  (Read 24413 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE WEEKEND COMETH
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2006, 07:40:17 AM »

I must get my hairs cut today as I am beginning to look like a wooly mammoth. I made an appointment with the barber for 5pm yesterday but plum forgot to go. I went to the gym and right during my workout I remembered that I was supposed to be sitting in a barbers chair at that moment...hopefully barber Chad will be forgiving.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2006, 07:44:56 AM »

As for The Friday Media Check...

Lo and behold!

Kristin Chenoweth - "As I Am"
The Color Purple - OCR
Tchaikovsky, 18 Pieces, op. 72 - Mikhail Pletnev, pianist
Mozart, Sonatas - Richard Goode, Pianist
Donny Osmond - "What I Meant To Say"
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2006, 07:45:11 AM »

I don't know-know him, but he grew up in the DC area, and I would see and listen to him at various competitions.  Quite the talent.

There is a nice article about him in the Indy Star today, it is probably on their website as well.   8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2006, 07:45:33 AM »

Oohh... And after the morning drizzle and gray, the sun is coming out here too.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2006, 07:45:36 AM »

Subject: NOT THE BEST IDEA FOR YOUR VALENTINE LOL

THESE ARE ENTRIES TO A WASHINGTON POST COMPETITION ASKING FOR A RHYME WITH THE MOST ROMANTIC FIRST LINE BUT THE LEAST ROMANTIC SECOND LINE:

(1) Love may be beautiful, love may be bliss
     But I only slept with you, because I was pissed.

(2) I thought that I could love no other
    Until, that is, I met your brother.

(3) Roses are red, violets are blue, sugar is sweet, and so are you.
     But the roses are wilting, the violets are dead, the sugar bowl's empty and so is  
     your head.

(4) Of loving beauty you float with grace
     If only you could hide your face.

(5) Kind, intelligent, loving and hot;
     This describes everything you are not.

(6) I want to feel your sweet embrace
    But don't take that paper bag off of your face.

(7) I love your smile, your face, and your eyes -
    man, I'm good at telling lies!

(8) My darling, my lover, my beautiful wife:
    Marrying you screwed up my life.

(9) I see your face when I am dreaming.
    That's why I always wake up screaming.

(10) My love, you take my breath away.
      What have you stepped in to smell this way?

(11) My feelings for you no words can tell,
      Except for maybe "go to -----".

(12) What inspired this amorous rhyme?
      Two parts vodka, one part lime.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2006, 07:48:20 AM »

DR vixmom - Gotta love that "Style Invitational"!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2006, 07:55:56 AM »

Well... I'm off to rehearsal... -They were just doing book/scene work this morning...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2006, 07:59:07 AM »

I REALLY need to get a haircut, but I have no idea when I'll have time to do so.  Maybe end of next week, but it may have to wait until after the Linda Purl shows.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2006, 08:02:16 AM »

I've got some errands to run later, so I must go get cleaned up now.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2006, 08:19:49 AM »

MR BK and MBARNUM should both be starring in the remake of THE SHAGGY DOG. I guess.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2006, 08:35:45 AM »

I shall now be on my way to the all day audio mix.  Hopefully I'll be able to get online there.

Ginny

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2006, 08:45:15 AM »

Ginny, The Vixter was very impressed with your Hairspray story!!  She was also very annoyed with me when she found out you had been back in New York and we hadn't gone in to see you.  I think you have been adopted!

How sweet!  The invitation is still open for a tour of American Girl Kit's Cincinnati, too.  Tell The Vixter that I (and possibly DH Richard) will be back the week of October 2 - I have a conference at DR Ben's workplace on the 6th and 7th).  We'll have to make a date.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2006, 08:45:28 AM »

Does anyone else find the Olympic sport of curling very funny?  I realize they have to be in great condition and have great skill to do what they do, but as Skip pointed out, maybe I'm amused because what they do with their brooms (?) on the ice around the disc reminds me of housecleaning.

No,.... I have a freind who does the sport and yes you do have to be in good shape...

http://www.usacurl.org/
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2006, 08:45:42 AM »

MEDIA CHECK:

Car CD player: more from Elton John's Hits discs.

DVD: Last night der Grampa introduced the grandlads to the musical Little Shop of Horrors.  (They are also why we had John in the CD player.)  They enjoyed it a great deal, but little William couldn't understand why the girl group kept popping up everywhere.

And I'm sick and tired of having my days off consumed by running errands for Magic Mommy.  This time, before picking up the grandlads, we had to drive all over Delaware to get her fifteen pounds of dry ice.  She's found this magic formula stunt to pull with the stuff for a Cub Scouts ceremony.  If only she'd pay more attention to the kids than to the surface glitz...
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2006, 08:48:04 AM »

The good news from yesterday was that I didn't have to go in to sub for Gwen.  She was feeling better, and made it to work.  I'm really feeling bad for her, practically being forced into retirement and not having much else in her life.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2006, 08:48:55 AM »

Vixmom, those love rhymes cracked me up!  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2006, 08:56:10 AM »

Good news about Gwen, DR SWW.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2006, 08:58:42 AM »

I've a question for BK and all our assorted DRs:

How much attention to you pay to movie ratings?

Der B and I find ourselves paying attention to the PG-13 rating lately.  Whenever we can, we screen films we think the grandlads might want to see that have the rating, to determine how appropriate the film is for them.

Example #1: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire had the PG-13 rating, but we decided it was appropriate for them, and it was a film they wanted to see.

On the other hand, Example #2: King Kong we decided would be much too intense, with too much graphic violence and portrayal of death for them.  Fortunately, they weren't begging to see that one.

Example #3: Billy Madison, un filme de Adam Sandler, has turned up over at their daycaregiver's.  It has been rated PG-13 for language and crude humor.  So, of course, Alex has been quoting the film's worst dialogue at school.  The daycaregiver doesn't seem to mind, but we do.

Anyone else out there have any reactions?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2006, 09:06:30 AM »

MR BK and MBARNUM should both be starring in the remake of THE SHAGGY DOG. I guess.

I am now out of the running.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2006, 09:13:06 AM »

Here I am, on location at the sound mixing facility - very posh, and my sound guy and I are already hitting it off.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2006, 09:27:54 AM »

Posh Sound....isn't that over on Sunset?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2006, 09:28:50 AM »

DRSWW - I guess I don't pay much attention to the ratings only because I don't have to watch out for youngsters....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2006, 09:33:27 AM »

I have never paid attention to ratings except when I had to fight with the ratings board over the Nudie Musical rating (they wanted to give it an X, but we got the R finally).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2006, 09:33:59 AM »

I'm told I'll be very happy with the lunch situation here.

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2006, 09:37:55 AM »

As for The Friday Media Check...

Lo and behold!

Kristin Chenoweth - "As I Am"

DR Jose - Please let me know what you think of this CD.  She was promoting it last January when DH Richard and I saw her with the Cincinnati Pops, so I bought it  :P
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2006, 09:39:03 AM »

The Lunch Situation Here - that's the title of my next novel.

Or, better yet, my first cookbook.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 09:39:38 AM by Ginny »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2006, 10:31:18 AM »

Happy Friday.  The kids are off today, so I'm home - making Martha's Darkest Chocolate Crepe Cake - quite an undertaking.  However, this weekend we're celebrating both my birthday and my sister's birthday and my sister and I challenged each other to a cake contest.  I chose the crepe cake, however I'm modifying it as it calls for hazelnut and my sister-in-law is allergic to nuts, so I'm just going with a combination of white and dark chocolate.

As of now, the batter is chilling, so I'm off to the store, the fitness room and the laundry room, not necsessarily in that order.

TOD:

DVD - Mary Tyler Moore - First Season
CD -Car - Hooked on Classics 3 - Journey Through the Classics
iPod - various Disney podcasts, and 60's music

Cillaliz

« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2006, 11:00:40 AM »

The men's figure skating long programs were overall so much improved over what I saw the other night.  Much better music choices and choreography (though still not as interesting as I recall from previous Winter Olympics.)  And like DR Matt said last night, this new scoring is full of holes.  It's still incomprehensible to me how the silver and bronze medal winners took a few spills during their programs and still scored high enough to gain the podium while a few others skated flawless and artistically pleasing programs and wound up with lower scores.  This system needs revamping again.

The reason they can fall and still win is that they fell attempting a quad and made the revolutions, not the landing.  You get something like 5.75 points for doing the jump and only lose one if you fall, so you have a net gain in points for making the attempt.   That was the strategy of the bronze medal winner - who I thought was a real cutie!

Cillaliz

« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2006, 11:06:05 AM »

As for the Olympics...

With the new scoring system, did they also discontinue the practice of having the skaters skate in reverse order according to their scores in the short program?  -Or is that more a World's competition practice?

-I was just hoping to see more of the higher-scoring skaters by the time I got home last night.

The short program is random. The long program is in groups. The groups go lowest place to highest place with the leaders in the last group, but within the group they are random or something, I'm not sure how that is determined

Cillaliz

« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2006, 11:07:44 AM »

Does anyone else find the Olympic sport of curling very funny?  I realize they have to be in great condition and have great skill to do what they do, but as Skip pointed out, maybe I'm amused because what they do with their brooms (?) on the ice around the disc reminds me of housecleaning.

It totally cracks me up. I'm sorry I haven't been able to catch more of it. They did this on one of the Amazing Races too.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up