Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MARK SPITZ  (Read 15036 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:MARK SPITZ
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2005, 01:13:28 PM »

After lunch, I decided to drive around the neighborhood for a while.  It's been years since I've been to that part of northern Virignia, McLean.  I used to hang out in that area all the time when I was younger, but, again, it's been years since I've been back.

WOW!  I actually came across a bunch of the places I remember, but I also came across a lot of "new growth".  Like a lot of suburban areas, they seem to be squeezing in buildings where I didn't think any more buildings could be squeezed.  -Of course, they're putting up new stores and offices, but not really keeping up with the road improvements or the parking.  Especially the parking.

But it was cool driving around for a bit and seeing some of my old haunts.

*I did make a stop into a Balducci's - which took over the local chain, Sutton Place Gourmet.  I was not impressed.  This location seemed like it should be slightly smaller than it is, or bigger.  It's very medium-sized - and felt very "medium".

-Just an observation.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2005, 01:35:27 PM »

Sounds like you had a successful interview, DR Jed. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2005, 01:37:00 PM »

Was just on the phone with one of my favorite folks in Charlotte, the fellow that directed me in BABY and with whom I've appeared in quite a few shows like A CHORUS LINE, INTO THE WOODS, FORUM, etc. He and his lover and probably going to be moving away by the end of July.

Not very happy at the moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2005, 01:37:54 PM »

GALAXY QUEST is such a sweet, fun movie. I always thoroughly enjoy it every time I revisit it.

Next up - NIGHTMARE ALLEY.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2005, 01:45:31 PM »

Just read this on Playbill.com:

"Film and television star Eddie Murphy has joined the cast of the upcoming film of the hit Broadway musical Dreamgirls.

Comingsoon.net reports that Murphy will play James "Thunder" Early in the film, the role created on Broadway by Cleavant Derricks. Derricks won a 1982 Tony Award for his performance.

The Dreamworks/Warner Bros. film of the Henry Krieger-Tom Eyen musical is scheduled to begin shooting in January 2006 in Los Angeles. As previously announced, the cast will include pop star Beyonce as Deena Jones, the character loosely based on the life of pop singer Diana Ross. Also cast are recent Academy Award winner Jamie Foxx as Curtis Taylor Jr. and Usher as songwriter C.C. White. An open call for the demanding role of Effie will be held June 18."

I read on another forum that among those being considered for Effie is former American Idol Fantasia Barrino. Now, I noticed that Fantasia had gained some weight between her victory last year and now, but I also read that the makers are re-thinking the character of Effie deemphasizing her weight problems. That should make for an "interesting" DREAMGIRLS.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2005, 02:15:16 PM »

Now I send GETTING THE JOB vibes to Jed, and to the people who interviewed him.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 02:15:44 PM by Rodzinski »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2005, 02:16:31 PM »

I do enjoy GALAXY QUEST. Funny, clever, and with a heart.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2005, 02:29:03 PM »

I love wihen a company sends out a mailing to tell you that for your convenience and in order to give you the best  possible quality they're decreasing their services.  I just got such a notice from Adelphia, my cable provider.  Seems they're adding a few channels but taking away a lot more.  The ones they are adding seem to be most  ESPN sports channels and stuff like Fox Reality...the very thought of which makes my skin crawl.  Most of the stuff we're losing is really stuff I watch but they sounded more interesting...like BMania (bad "B" or C" films) than what's being added.  We are also losing American Life TV (formerly Goodlife channel) which showed all the old Warner detective and cowboy shows like Sunset Strip and Cheyenne, hosted by Nick Clooney.  They are also getting rid of all the Showtime, HBO, and Encore eastern-time feeds, which I quite liked...because if I flip to a movie in the middle, I knew it was going to repeat lately on the west coast or the east coast.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2005, 02:36:06 PM »

Good Afternoon!

....Well, I guess I just took a nap....

:-\

And now I must get ready to head in for the show tonight.  The show that I haven't been "officially" notified that I'm playing, but know that I will be playing.  And I'm back on Keys 2 tonight too.  Ah, well...

Out into the haze, heat and humidity I go...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2005, 02:56:09 PM »

It was hot here in Oakland yesterday.

And I mean hot.

Today, though, is breezy and wonderful and delightful.

Tonight we expect it to be quite cool.

And cooler still tomorrow as some system moves in.

And this system MAY bring us some unseasonal rain, like the two days of rain we had last week, also unseasonal.

The times...they are a-changin'!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2005, 02:57:28 PM »

DVDs in today's mail:

The Best of Everything
The Reivers
Scrooged
Groundhog Day

And huzzah!

Amazon is FINALLY shipping "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" which I ordered forever ago!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2005, 02:57:51 PM »

I just finished scoring "Panache," and when I get back from my librarians' dinner, I'll look over it to make any minor changes.  About 7 years ago, when I was working on something at Tams-Witmark, I suggested to librarian Dale Kugel that he and our friend Charlie Harman have dinner one night when I was in the Village for a New York city Gay Men's Chorus rehearsal.  This began a second-Monday-of-the-month dinner, and when the Chorus moved rehearsals from the Village to Midtown, we moved the date to the second Tuesday of the month.  Now the music dept. from Rodgers & Hammerstein joins us, the librarian who replaced Dale when he retired, and any other lucky person we invite.   Sometimes it's Jeff Stock who wrote TRIUMPH OF LOVE. maybe Roger Grodsky from the University of cincinnati Conservatory of Music musical theatre dept., and tonight, who knows?  And now to the Village.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2005, 04:03:27 PM »

Godd evening Tomovoz!! Did you have a lovely day? Are you feeling better?  How is your autumn?

As you can see by dear elmore's post our late spring is very hot!!!

Sorry to say dear elmore but they are tlaking about high 90's again today

Thank you. Yes I had a "Godd" evening.  We watched "Anastasia" (Ingrid Bergman version). Winter has arrived here.  Snow has been falling on what we dare to call the Australian alps!! (Large hills really - we have no permanent snow line in this country).
I hope there a cool breezes on the Island of Long and that they waft across to the island of Manhatten. (Without blowing more Helicopters riding Australian tourists into the East River!).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ginny

« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2005, 04:12:18 PM »

DR Jed - Glad to hear the interview went well.  Hope the wait isn't too long and that the outcome is in your favor!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2005, 04:19:01 PM »

~~~~~~ Continued good vibes to DR Jed!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 04:37:27 PM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2005, 04:45:11 PM »

Winter has arrived here.  Snow has been falling on what we dare to call the Australian alps!! (Large hills really - we have no permanent snow line in this country).

Are these near you?  When/if you get "visible" snow, won't you share a photo of same with those of us in the throes of summer???

G'day!

Tomovoz

« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2005, 04:52:31 PM »

G'day Ron.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2005, 06:07:16 PM »

This, my friends, is a LULL!  Will soon be off to our second put-in rehearsal for our new Frank Butler, in preparation for his opening with us Thursday night.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2005, 06:10:34 PM »

My goodness, what has happened?  One post in over an hour?  That is most unseemly, and I have just received an e-mail from Mr. Mark Spitz, saying he couldn't possibly visit a site where there is only one post in an hour.

Tomovoz

« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2005, 06:10:56 PM »

Quiet here in Oz too.
Perhaps I should be playing my Michael Jackson collection.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2005, 06:11:34 PM »

XENOPHOBIA, baby, XENOPHOBIA!

Tomovoz

« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2005, 06:11:40 PM »

Does he do inexpensive dental work?
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2005, 06:12:04 PM »

Spitz not Jackson.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2005, 06:13:37 PM »

Wasn't Xeno Phobia that amazonian warrior.
It may also be the name of the lead singer of a Ukranian pop group.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2005, 06:41:14 PM »

Well, to give her credit, since I've never seen her do anything, she did tour in BEAUTY AND THE BEAST...
In which part?
...and she's done CHICAGO.
Busy girl!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2005, 06:44:53 PM »

Does he do inexpensive dental work?

Any cavities you want filled?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2005, 06:52:17 PM »

The one in my wallet for a start!
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #117 on: June 14, 2005, 06:52:25 PM »

Ha Ha. Just goes to show. I like his Bosom Buddies work the best!
Wardrobe jealousies?

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2005, 07:05:32 PM »

Just read this on Playbill.com:

"Film and television star Eddie Murphy has joined the cast of the upcoming film of the hit Broadway musical Dreamgirls.

Comingsoon.net reports that Murphy will play James "Thunder" Early in the film, the role created on Broadway by Cleavant Derricks. Derricks won a 1982 Tony Award for his performance.

The Dreamworks/Warner Bros. film of the Henry Krieger-Tom Eyen musical is scheduled to begin shooting in January 2006 in Los Angeles. As previously announced, the cast will include pop star Beyonce as Deena Jones, the character loosely based on the life of pop singer Diana Ross. Also cast are recent Academy Award winner Jamie Foxx as Curtis Taylor Jr. and Usher as songwriter C.C. White. An open call for the demanding role of Effie will be held June 18."

I read on another forum that among those being considered for Effie is former American Idol Fantasia Barrino. Now, I noticed that Fantasia had gained some weight between her victory last year and now, but I also read that the makers are re-thinking the character of Effie deemphasizing her weight problems. That should make for an "interesting" DREAMGIRLS.

As I recall, the real difference between Effie and Deena is that Deena "was always the glamorous one."  I had a co-worker years ago who insisted that they should cast Whitney Houston as Effie, and refused to understand why that casting would have been wrong.  (She also had never seen the show, obviously.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #119 on: June 14, 2005, 07:24:10 PM »

The grandlads were fine today.  Very little in the way of squabbles or disobedience.

Their parents, on the other hand, are a couple of blockheads.  Yes, they will do things for the kids, like Little League or Cub Scouts, and PTA.  Well, it's really Mom that does all those things; Dad does the cooking (barely) and goes along with the Little League coaching, but doesn't do it happily.

What they don't do is things with the kids.  During William's "graduation" ceremony, the teacher pitched to the adults that were there that each child is being asked to have a parent read 400 pages of books to him/her over the summer.  There's points for every 25 pages, with 400 as the goal.  The idea is that the parents, reading to the kids, helps the kids get an interest in reading, and that passes on to reading skills.

Well, Mom has declared that she doesn't have the time to read to William.  She just can't be bothered, she has too much else to do.

I sat down with William today, at his request, and read a couple of small books to him, one with eightteen pages, one with eight.  Hey, that's twenty-six pages!  That's the first point, right?  And it took me less than half an hour.  We even read each book through twice (once at a normal speed, the second as fast as I could because that's our special joke).

How they deal with Alex is pretty much along the same lines.  Sure, they'll sign the kids up for summer programs.  No, they don't discuss the programs with the lads in advance, they just plan on the lads being plopped into the programs.  And der Brucer gets to do all the driving, of course.  They were a little shocked when I announced that my job comes first, and that der B will have to do the deliveries on his own.

This may be a very long summer.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up