Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: CLUTTER  (Read 30701 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:CLUTTER
« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2007, 10:04:56 AM »

Boxed up all the sheet music that was lying on the floor and elsewhere, so the living room is actually quite neat again.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #121 on: July 21, 2007, 10:05:23 AM »

I should check into that.

I agree with you Jeanne, some of the anti-clutter people go too far..
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2007, 10:07:01 AM »

Does anyone ever use a high school yearbook?

Ah, haven't had the heart to toss those yet. Very glad I saved some other old high school stuff--our very own BK was in it.

You just never know... ;)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2007, 10:07:58 AM »

Women's centers also like old cell phones due to being to dail 911.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2007, 10:10:38 AM »

Women's centers also like old cell phones due to being to dail 911.

Yes, they do. These no longer worked. they become obsoleted very quickly. The one I bought just last year is about ready to be tossed, too. My cell phones never seem to last more than a year and a half. Maybe that's because I buy the cheap ones!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #125 on: July 21, 2007, 10:11:29 AM »

For those of you with Theatre magazines and Journals, colleges and schools would be good places also.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: July 21, 2007, 10:12:19 AM »

Well, BK, we're doing our best on a quiet Saturday.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #127 on: July 21, 2007, 10:12:19 AM »

I have had mine now for several years and still seems to owrk well

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: July 21, 2007, 10:13:31 AM »

Maybe it's just my talent with electronic devices.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: July 21, 2007, 10:14:41 AM »

Must do some actual work. Have a lovely day, everyone.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #130 on: July 21, 2007, 10:15:11 AM »

BTW, old cds make good paint palettes if you painting. The paint does not dry on them.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #131 on: July 21, 2007, 10:15:48 AM »

I have also learned Jeanne, that electronics can be fickle...

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2007, 10:28:34 AM »

And I, too, hope that both DRs NOEL and FJL will share NYMF stories with us here.

I love the notion that people are interested in Such Good Friends as it develops.  And, of course, I'm very interested in all the new Brain and Starfighter developments.  Is there a specific place where the creation of these sci-fi musicals was discussed?  Or, if news came in the daily discussions in dribs and drabs, then it was foolish of me to have missed it.

Dear Wife Joy loves the casting process, but I confess to you all, I can't stand it.  At the end of the day yesterday, I watched roughly 180 pictures and resumes get discarded, and this is emotionally devastating to me.  Some of my closest dearest friends came and did not get seen.  One was #146 on the waiting list we never got to.  All of these 333+ aspirants put on their best make-up, clothes and shoes, and spent less than two minutes in the room.  They'd say, if pressed, that this was a good experience, as EPAs go, because they were getting seen for five different shows, with at least a dozen writers, directors and casting people in the room.

The reality is that most roles aren't cast out of the EPAs.  There's also something I can't think about without welling up.  Some of the best auditions came from young fellows who remind me of me when I was a young fellow.  Short, Jewish, quick-witted.  Part of my decision to abandon my childhood aspirations of being a performer had to do with seeing how few roles there are out there for short, ethnic, smart-alecks.  Now, all these years later, I've written a show in which the young characters must be waspy and not seem so brainy.  So I'm in the position of rejecting those most like the younger me.  And some of them gave wonderful auditions.  Maybe my next show will have to be autobiographical.

In the past two months I've reduced my cast size from 19 to 14 to 10.  There were good reasons for doing this, but I've this hard-to-shake compulsion to say to everyone no longer being considered "I'm SO sorry I don't have a place for you in my show."  When am I going to get over this?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2007, 10:37:31 AM »

I came across a stock certificate for 10 shares of some company I never heard of, purchased by my parents in 1963. I doubt that it's worth anything, but feel compelled to investigate. YOU NEVER KNOW! I did a Google search and found one entry only--a letter on that company's letterhead, signed by the same name that's on the certificate. It's long-winded and rambling and I really can't fathom why it was even written. It's about wild hogs.

I'm afraid it's probably not worth much...I don't think it did too well at the box office.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2007, 10:38:02 AM »

;D
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2007, 10:42:04 AM »

The mailman has come and gone.  The Deathly Hallows was not in his truck.

*Le sigh.*
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2007, 11:03:24 AM »

Doctor Who, broadcast on the SciFi channel, had an interesting episode last night.  "Gridlock" started with a Grant Wood joke, and included an interesting variation on a car chase - what happens when all the cars are in gridlock, and standing still?  The business at the beginning and end, where the Doctor describes to Martha the burnt orange skies of his home planet, and the orange skies at sunset on New Earth, made for a great bookend effect.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

FJL

« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2007, 11:06:15 AM »

Noel -  The Last Starfighter had had its premiere production a while before I joined the HHW board, so there were no details about the show's initial development here on HHW.  

But there was much about Seattle's Village Theatre Festival of New Musicals in August 2006 (I was so happy that George and PennyO were able to attend that), and about BK's co-starring in the readings last September co-presented by NYMF and the Village Theatre (which many of the NY-based HHWers attended).  If you're inclined to look back at HHW from September 23 to 30, 2006, there is much by Bruce in the notes of his experience of coming to NYC to perform in our readings.

And we're really happy that Michael S actually set up a page on Bruce's site about our show, which includes an interview we had about the genesis of the show and the Village Theatre Festival.  (Thanks again, Michael S, for doing this!)

http://www.brucekimmel.com/LastStarfighterSTAGEInformationPage.htm

And there's detailed info about the development of Last Starfighter in the liner notes to the Kritzerland CD.  

Gosh, I'm being such a shill today!  :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2007, 11:07:17 AM »

The UPS man has delivered what the USPS did not.

*le sigh of a different type*

(But I've still got to finish The Zen of Fish first - I've promised to lend it to Chrissy, who works in our fish department, and it would be very rude to make her wait simply because of Harry Potter.)

(And I've told der Brucer that he doesn't get to read Deathly Hallows until he re-finishes Half-Blood Prince, because I'm not going to remind him of what he's forgotten from volume six.  So there!)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2007, 11:13:27 AM »

Thanks to DRs JEANNE and DAKOTA CELT for the audition vibes....they will be put to work about 24 1/2 hours from now.

The cash register computer is NOT working at World of Wisdom, so my sister is on her way in the work on it....GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Floyd Collins was mentioned in ACE IN THE HOLE, but that didn't stop the owner of the rights of that true story from suing and settling with Paramount Pictures before it was released.  Interesting....and after DR ELMORE pointed it out earlier today....I have been reading about the Collins case - not the musical - and it seems that ACE IN THE HOLE takes MANY story points from that incident.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2007, 11:21:12 AM »

As I look at the IMDB list of Kirk Douglas movies Mr. Dara Singh is singing and dancing on my television screen, sans turban, and I am now realizing I have seen very few of Mr. Kirk Douglas' movies. In fact I have seen more Dara Singh movies that Kirk Douglas movies.

The only film on the list that I could even comment about is THE LAST SUNSET, however I watched it only to see the performance of Mr. Rad Fulton...but I am sure Kirk was good in it as well.

FJL

« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2007, 11:22:26 AM »

JRand - Interesting, there was a Law and Order episode that bore a striking similarity to Strangers on a Train, and they seemed to get around any copying issues by specifically referring to the characters having gotten the idea for their plot from Strangers on a Train.  Did the mention of Floyd Collins in Ace in the Hole seem designed  to try to get around any unfair copying charges, i wonder (perhaps rhetorically :) ) ?

MBarnum

« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2007, 11:22:44 AM »

I went shopping this morning to pick up some groceries at Walmart and then found two nice shirts at Goodwill.

Now to walk the dog and then take a shower. Perhaps some Indian food for lunch and then sit on the couch catching up on movies and stuff for the duration of the day.

MBarnum

« Reply #143 on: July 21, 2007, 11:24:28 AM »

Oh, and I picked a bouquet of asiatic lillies that were blooming in my yard. Put them in a vase and then in the living room. Then within seconds realized that I was very, very, very (that is 3 verys) allergic to them. I placed them outside and phoned my sister and told here that if she comes into town today to stop by and get a nice bunch of flowers! LOL!

Too, bad, they sure were pretty!

Jennifer

« Reply #144 on: July 21, 2007, 11:40:33 AM »

I'm curious what people are paying for the new HARRY POTTER book. Here costco had it for 23.62$ Cdn ($25.11 tax included).  I think amazon.ca is charging half price (of $45cdn). Chapters was charging 20% off (of the retail $45).  I think there were lots of parties last night, with some continuing today.

Jennifer

« Reply #145 on: July 21, 2007, 11:42:40 AM »

Oh btw, for BOSTON LEGAL fans:

I think at the end of the season it was reported that a number of people were leaving the show.

Apparently some were signed at the last minute. So now only julie bowen and constance zimmerman are leaving. Rene A and Mark valley are staying.

Jennifer

« Reply #146 on: July 21, 2007, 11:47:39 AM »

Sort of a weird thing happened last night.  Went out to dinner for my uncle's birthday and a fairly nice restaurant.  I had babyback ribs. But they give way too much.  

Actually i was completely full before i even started the main course. I had eaten 2 rolls (very good) and nachos and spinach dip.

Okay so i had most of my ribs left (why stuff myself when they taste so good the next day). Plus my mom gave me the rest of her ribs (so i really had a lot). But i also had like 1/3+ of my fries and a full thing of coleslaw.

Now i ask the guy to package my food, but when he comes back there are only ribs (but no fries and coleslaw). I was trying to decide if it was rude to ask him where they went. :)

Anyhow i decided to nicely ask him why he only brought my ribs. And he was like, "well there weren't that many left, did you want them?"

So he ended up bringing me new fries and coleslaw.

I guess most people only want their meat. But i just found it odd that he didn't ask if he wasn't sure!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #147 on: July 21, 2007, 11:50:13 AM »

Harry Potter Spoiler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a very thick book.

There was an article on Comcast.net that talked about spoilers for the book and I went to a couple of the spoiler websites that were linked in the article.  One page no longer existed and the other had one major bit of information that I found out this morning was completely wrong. ::) I'm at work and a co-worker has a copy of the book and she read some pages at the end of the book and saw that this particular info (about who was going to die) was incorrect.  Not that I care, because I haven't read ANY of the books (I have seen the first four movies, though), but I thought that it would be interesting to see if this spoiler page was correct or not.  And it's not entirely correct.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2007, 11:53:23 AM »

Sort of a weird thing happened last night.  Went out to dinner for my uncle's birthday and a fairly nice restaurant.  I had babyback ribs. But they give way too much.  

Actually i was completely full before i even started the main course. I had eaten 2 rolls (very good) and nachos and spinach dip.

Okay so i had most of my ribs left (why stuff myself when they taste so good the next day). Plus my mom gave me the rest of her ribs (so i really had a lot). But i also had like 1/3+ of my fries and a full thing of coleslaw.

Now i ask the guy to package my food, but when he comes back there are only ribs (but no fries and coleslaw). I was trying to decide if it was rude to ask him where they went. :)

Anyhow i decided to nicely ask him why he only brought my ribs. And he was like, "well there weren't that many left, did you want them?"

So he ended up bringing me new fries and coleslaw.

I guess most people only want their meat. But i just found it odd that he didn't ask if he wasn't sure!

This has happened to my sister...and it's happened more times than you would think.  My sister does not eat a lot and really wants to take home all her left-over food.  She has gotten to the point that she has to specifically tell the waitperson(s) to wrap up everything to go and if they "accidentally" throw something away or "assume" that she didn't want the side items, she makes them get her some more.  Good for her, I say!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 11:54:31 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Edisaurus

« Reply #149 on: July 21, 2007, 12:02:17 PM »

Our standard answer for: "Do you wanta box for that?"
is: "No, but I'll wrestle you for it!"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up