Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: PUTTING THE BOOK TO BED  (Read 19901 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: PUTTING THE BOOK TO BED
« Reply #180 on: April 17, 2011, 07:30:21 PM »

I just read this important fact on Facebook:

Cocoa Mulch is very toxic to dogs & cats, unfortunately they are drawn to the smell of cocoa. Do not use in your yard!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #181 on: April 17, 2011, 07:31:02 PM »

I hope they can find the dog tonight, too, Jane.

We are going to watch a DVD tonight.  I'll check for news before I go to bed & will post if there is any.

FJL

« Reply #182 on: April 17, 2011, 07:37:18 PM »

I saw MY ONE AND ONLY in Boston before it was revised.  I actually enjoyed it there, although it was a more buoyant entertainment on Broadway.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #183 on: April 17, 2011, 07:39:47 PM »

I saw "My One and Only" in previews on my first weekend in New York. Seems like yesterday and a lifetime ago.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #184 on: April 17, 2011, 07:40:46 PM »

"Wonderland" is taking a drubbing. though the NYT's review is unfavorably, it actually says more positive things about the show than of the four or five reviews I've seen.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #185 on: April 17, 2011, 07:48:32 PM »

Good Evening!

It was a beautiful afternoon in NYC for a nice walk to Lincoln Center.
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #186 on: April 17, 2011, 07:55:33 PM »

"Wonderland" is taking a drubbing. though the NYT's review is unfavorably, it actually says more positive things about the show than of the four or five reviews I've seen.

has there ever been a successful version of Alice in Wonderland to play Broadway?
Never stop dreaming.

John G.

« Reply #187 on: April 17, 2011, 08:01:59 PM »

has there ever been a successful version of Alice in Wonderland to play Broadway?
Not that I know of, unless you go back to, who was it, Eva LaGalliene.
― Voltaire

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #188 on: April 17, 2011, 08:13:46 PM »

I fell asleep watching Game of Thrones - bedtime I think -- g,night
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #189 on: April 17, 2011, 08:18:53 PM »

And once I got to Lincoln Center, I met up with my friend, Michael, and we settled into our seats in Avery Fisher Hall for today's concert by the Orchestre National de France...

The first half consisted of Beethoven's Third Piano Concerto with Jean-Efflam Bavouzet. The second half: Strauss' "Der Rosenkavalier" Suite and Ravel's "La Valse".

It was a wonderful concert.

*And even though Avery Fisher Hall is long overdue for an acoustic overhaul, it still amazes me just how much cleaner and clearer some guest orchestras sound in that hall compared to the "house band", the New York Philharmonic.
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #190 on: April 17, 2011, 08:29:20 PM »

I like that "house band" phrase.
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #191 on: April 17, 2011, 08:33:26 PM »

I don't know, but when I googled to find out, someone had come up with an idea called CALLAS IN WONDERLAND.  :)

John G.

« Reply #192 on: April 17, 2011, 08:34:51 PM »

After years of surviving more than 30 rounds of cutbacks, my sister has had enough. She has been on 33 hours a week with no overtime for at least five years, though her boss was working her sometimes 60 hours or more a week and it has affected her health. His attitude: People need work, so they'll do anything to keep their jobs.

No more.

She gave her two weeks' notice on Thursday. Another employee quit the following day. A third committed suicide on Thursday (I don't know if it were work related), and a fourth quit after hearing of that. Four key players in her department in two days. I wonder if her boss is even paying attention.

― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #193 on: April 17, 2011, 08:49:46 PM »

Wow. I hope your sister and her co-workers find new jobs quickly.

My sister survived 30 years of lay-offs before her job was outsourced to India last year.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

John G.

« Reply #194 on: April 17, 2011, 08:59:48 PM »

I think her attitude is just fine. In the two years since I was laid off, I have come to realize more and more than we are not defined by our job. I hope she starts writing again. I know it's a skill of hers.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #195 on: April 17, 2011, 09:00:16 PM »

Though writing isn't necessarily lucrative, as I have found out.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: April 17, 2011, 09:01:38 PM »

I wonder how Wonderland managed to get Isherwood instead of Brantley - the latter would have, I think, killed the show.  Isherwood's review, although not favorable, has pull quotes.  I would think that any new B'way musical would automatically get the first string critic - unless some producer is paying someone to have it be otherwise.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #197 on: April 17, 2011, 09:47:45 PM »

I wonder how Wonderland managed to get Isherwood instead of Brantley - the latter would have, I think, killed the show.  Isherwood's review, although not favorable, has pull quotes.  I would think that any new B'way musical would automatically get the first string critic - unless some producer is paying someone to have it be otherwise.

Well, Brantley got The Book of Mormon, Anything Goes, Marie and Bruce, The Motherf*cker with the Hat, Sleep No More (which really surprised me since it's a decidely off-off-Broadway venture), Arcadia, How to Succeed..., and Catch Me If You Can - and most likely Jerusalem. So...

I'm just wondering how the rest of the Broadway openings will be divvied up: High, Sister Act, Born Yesterday, The House of Blue Leaves, and Baby It's You!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #198 on: April 17, 2011, 09:57:09 PM »

Must.

Sleep.

Now.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #199 on: April 17, 2011, 10:51:04 PM »

Jose - HIGH will be interesting, as Charles Isherwood reviewed it out of town but didn't seem to care for it.

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #200 on: April 17, 2011, 10:59:31 PM »

;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #201 on: April 17, 2011, 11:05:44 PM »

The weekend went so fast.  Most of what I had planned to do did not get done.  I seem to be spending a lot of time just listening to music and sitting during the cd's.   I can't sing along with them as I'm tone deaf, so what's going on.   Maybe I just need the rest and this is my way of being lazy.  Anyway, I'm enjoying it.

Did take 2 walks in the beautiful sunshine.   

And seem to always be available if he calls.  Must stop that.  Maybe that's why people plan dates. 

Saw saturn at the astronomy meeting Friday night.  Very very cool.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 11:07:35 PM by Sam »
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #202 on: April 17, 2011, 11:06:31 PM »

SUPER MEGA VIBES FOR EVERYONE  :) ;) :D :-* :-*.

Sam

« Reply #203 on: April 17, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »

I'm tired, good night.  8)

Sam

« Reply #204 on: April 17, 2011, 11:09:04 PM »

bk looks 108 ??  I don't think so.  :)

Sam

« Reply #205 on: April 17, 2011, 11:14:01 PM »

Audrey Rose arrived.  Thank you.  ;D

Sam

« Reply #206 on: April 17, 2011, 11:16:28 PM »

Can't stop listening to Bonnie Raitt  (opus collection) and KD Lang  Sing it Loud.

Must sleep.

Now really good night.  ;D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #207 on: April 18, 2011, 12:02:22 AM »

DR George have a fantastic show!!!

Thanks, Jane...we did!  The energy of the audience was a bit low, but the show itself went over quite well. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #208 on: April 18, 2011, 12:03:49 AM »

Well, instead of a nap I went to Panera with Paul and had a wonderful Mocha with a double chocolate brownie.  Then I went for a drive, did a little pruning of dead wood in the back yard and finally sat down to relax.

There has been a Panera here in Olympia for a few months, but I never went until last weekend.  I got a sandwich and it was quite good.  I'll definitely be going back again. :D

Get the Panera rewards card, or whatever they call it.  You get free stuff very quickly.  I seem to get something about every 3rd or 4th time I go there

I actually did get the Panera card...and I even registered it on-line.  I also got a take-home menu so that I can study it for the next time I drive through.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #209 on: April 18, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »

And since we're so close...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up