Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: CELL PHONE COLD TURKEY LURKEY DAY  (Read 31406 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:CELL PHONE COLD TURKEY LURKEY DAY
« Reply #150 on: September 02, 2005, 01:00:48 PM »

Schmidt print is still not to the pressing plant and I am more than annoyed.  We're still hoping for today, and if I get them late this afternoon, I suppose I'll just work tomorrow and get as many packaged and to the post office as I can.  

François de Paris

« Reply #151 on: September 02, 2005, 01:07:31 PM »

elmore, I have the sax part.  I haven't had sax in ages, so I just took it.

I hope you played it safe! ;)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #152 on: September 02, 2005, 01:23:27 PM »

This may have been posted, but just in case:

r Fats Domino, who went missing in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, was rescued by boat from floodwaters near his New Orleans home and is "stressed out" but safe, his agent said on Friday.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/News/newsArticle.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=2005-09-02T184512Z_01_MCC176687_RTRUKOC_0_UK-WEATHER-KATRINA-DOMINO.xml

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #153 on: September 02, 2005, 01:26:30 PM »

I had an impromptu lunch with good friend Jeff today at a Chinese restaurant I had never been to. Nice food and good company: we got caught up on a lot of things that have happened this week since I hadn't talked to him since early in the week.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 01:35:01 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #154 on: September 02, 2005, 01:27:32 PM »

I really love the new recliner. ENjoyed my soap opera from the new vantage point as the first official show watched from the new chair.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #155 on: September 02, 2005, 01:30:44 PM »

I didn't get out for a walk until 12:00 today-day too late & I still have a ton of errands to do.  As always I walked with my cell phone, I didn't need it but I feel much safer having it with me.  

The other day I rushed off to do errands and forgot my phone call, the result being I missed a call from Keith reminding me of an important stop I was to make.  I won't forget it today.

Matt H.

« Reply #156 on: September 02, 2005, 01:31:42 PM »

After the soap, I put on LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA, and have watched the first 70 minutes. This is my first time seeing it, and I'm enjoying it thoroughly, though the situation of Mrs. Johnson not telling of Clara's condition to Fabrizzio a bit too contrived.

Before this ever gets released on DVD, though, there definitely needs to be some remastering done. The color varies wildly throughout the movie from fairly pale to blazingly bright during the football match. I know Metrocolor has never been known for consistent hues, but the movie does show wear and tear in the print TCM had the other day. Lots of dirt on the print, too.

Still, I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends. Then, during the weekend, I'll need to listen to the musical version from my vantage point of knowing the movie and seeing how the songs match.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 01:33:23 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #157 on: September 02, 2005, 01:32:39 PM »

Had to do some laundry today, too, when I got in from lunch. So, I've had a very busy day around here.

Matt H.

« Reply #158 on: September 02, 2005, 01:34:05 PM »

Of course, to come later will be the dreaded kitchen floor mopping, a weekly saga.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: September 02, 2005, 01:38:06 PM »

I've done two things good for my soul today:  I went to Holy Trinity and prayed for Derek, and I just gave money to the Red Cross at this site:
http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate2/

I'm cannot believe how long it's taking for relief to get to the areas, and I'm appalled at our current administration; when I think of the time and money wasted on a stupid "war on terror" when our own countrymen are in need, I'm horrified.

End of soapbox.

For now.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #160 on: September 02, 2005, 01:45:55 PM »

I've done two things good for my soul today:  I went to Holy Trinity and prayed for Derek, and I just gave money to the Red Cross at this site:
http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate2/

Can I say something and not be castigated?  We have a pretty open forum here, don't we?:

I am still smarting a bit from having made a donation to the Red Cross in the wake of 9/11, only to later find out they were putting those monies into general funds, and not ones specifically ear-marked for 9/11 victims.

Therefore, I am hesitant to donate to them again in this situation.

And I won't donate to the Salvation Army on principle.  (I'm not crazy about donating to the Red Cross either:  If you dont want my blood --  and have made that quite clear -- I don't necessarily want you....)

Any other ideas?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: September 02, 2005, 01:49:48 PM »

Well, I'm taking the Red Cross on faith that the "Hurrican relief" is exactly that, and if only a portion goes to that and ther remainder to other forms of aid, I'm not complaining.  I've at least made an effort to help others.  I'm open to other options, and perhaps I'll give them some money as well.  I feel the need to do something, and a donation seems the easiest from my viewpoint.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #162 on: September 02, 2005, 02:16:39 PM »

Well, I brought the conversation to a dead halt!  Is it something I said?  My B.O?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #163 on: September 02, 2005, 02:22:26 PM »

It's just a lull in the conversation...nothing more!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: September 02, 2005, 02:22:29 PM »

Here is the latest update:

The booklets for HS are taking forever to assemble.  However, I will have by end of day at least 100 finished copies, so I should be able to ship out everyone's preorders.  Stores will have to wait, of course, as will places like amazon and cdbaby.  So, if they live up to what they told me, I should be picking this stuff up sometime before five.  As I said, Stages and Kevin have been finished since this morning.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #165 on: September 02, 2005, 02:24:10 PM »

Oh, I think it's his B.O. (Big Olives).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: September 02, 2005, 02:28:40 PM »

Oh, I think it's his B.O. (Big Olives).

I had a rude retort about other Big Things, but I'll spare all the DRs.  My good karma is coming back.  I found the sax part.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: September 02, 2005, 02:34:25 PM »

Good karma is good.  So is bad karma to those who deserve it.  Sometimes I am simply appalled at the people who deserve the worst sort of karma not getting it, and, in fact, the opposite occurs.  Someone elmore and I both know well, and who was very responsible for the bad business back in 2001 is a case in point.  He, himself, suffered the same fate I did - BUTT, he was not sued, even though it was proved that he was pilfering in a major way.  And now?  Now he's producing (and co-conceiving) the new jukebox musical featuring songs by Johnny Cash.  Well, he certainly won't be getting any vibes or xylophones from these here parts, but I ask you - how does someone who deserves nothing but terrible things for his reprehensible behavior, get rewarded instead?  

I shall now forget all about it and let karma take its eventual course, which I hope and pray will happen.

I feel better now.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #168 on: September 02, 2005, 02:34:50 PM »

When Woody home from work last night, he demanded that I take him out to some place expensive................

So I took him to a gas station!!!!!!!

der Brucer
BULL-LOGNA!

We went to a Mexican restaurant, and I paid.

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: September 02, 2005, 02:39:38 PM »

I always feel lovely after venting.  All that negative crap goes away completely, and I feel lighter than air, like a gazelle wearing boy shorts.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #170 on: September 02, 2005, 03:15:33 PM »

Ah, cell phones.

There's plenty of them, infecting people's ears in the market.  Sometimes it's the people in the market making the calls out.  They want to check on ingredients, make sure they don't forget something.  They remember something they want the other person to do.  Or they're just talking.

Then we get the other direction, where the shopper is answering a call.  Sometimes they tell the other person "I'm in the checkout line at the market, let me call you back."  Sometimes they answer the phone and hold an entire conversation, while gesturing to me in some kind of improvised semiphore, so as to keep from interrupting their other conversation.  

I'm just glad I'm on my meds; they help me just grin and bear through it.

So, there's nothing that can be done about the people calling out, other than to wish that they were more organized, or less dependent, or something.

But, what about those people receiving the calls?  Do they HAVE to answer every time?  Don't they know that they can check the caller's number on their cell screen, that they don't have to answer to everyone who calls?  Or, that they can check later for "missed calls"?

Or has the radiation from the cell phone distroyed the brain cells that control these ideas?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jason

« Reply #171 on: September 02, 2005, 03:15:50 PM »

Our office closed at 1 today. Hoo and Ray! I was going to visit Central Park, but some coworker friends asked me to join them for lunch and a movie, so I did. We saw "Red Eye." A thoroughly ridiculous movie with some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard in a film. I was not impressed. Entertained? Sometimes. Impressed? Never.

We had lunch at the Renaissance Diner on 9th Ave. I had the Belgian Waffle with Ice Cream topped with strawberries and bananas. All I can say is - YUM!

Jason

« Reply #172 on: September 02, 2005, 03:16:04 PM »

And then I bought some shoes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: September 02, 2005, 03:19:49 PM »

I've been writing very naughty stuff.  And it's ever so much fun.  This short story I'm working on is really amusing me, but it gets very very randy (you'll understand when you read it - it's the conceit of the story).

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #174 on: September 02, 2005, 03:21:32 PM »

Today was busy enough at work, what with it being the start of the three-day weekend.  Lots of locals, trying to get in their shopping before the tourists hit town for one more time.  Lots of tourists hitting the stores, getting lots of stuff for the parties they'll be throwing.

And no, the gas shortage isn't keeping them away from town.  They've already paid for for their rentals, and goldang-it, they're going to party!

And I've still got yesterday's posts to go through!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #175 on: September 02, 2005, 03:33:28 PM »

Tomovoz,, so sorry to hear of Ozderek's passing.  For the short time he was here on the site, he was a lovely and charming presence.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: September 02, 2005, 03:34:49 PM »

Pogue, I hope you saw my response to your corned beef hash posting yesterday.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: September 02, 2005, 03:36:07 PM »

I probably won't be picking up this stuff until five.  The sad part is that the people at the pressing plant would have gotten off early today were it not for the huge amount of time that the printers took.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: September 02, 2005, 03:36:42 PM »

In any event, nothing's getting shipped today, obviously.  I should be able to get out everything tomorrow morning, though.

Tomovoz

« Reply #179 on: September 02, 2005, 03:40:45 PM »

Tomovoz,, so sorry to hear of Ozderek's passing.  For the short time he was here on the site, he was a lovely and charming presence.
Thank you Charles.

DRs: I have printed off the responses to the sad news. I am sure his family will take some comfort in knowing that he had the support of such good friends here at HHW.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up