Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE UNSEEMLY BUTTO  (Read 26285 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:THE UNSEEMLY BUTTO
« Reply #150 on: January 21, 2004, 02:37:40 PM »

DR Robin Anderson,  I actually wrote the first screen adaptation for Disney of PRINCESS OF MARS, though there have been many more through the wringer since then.   Mine has a cult following among ERB fandom and has been called by the a past President of the LA branch of the Burroughs Bibliophiles,  "the most Burroughsian screenplay ever".

Last year I did a spec script of SHE, very faithful to the original, it's out and about to various and sundry producers, directors, and actors.  Who knows? We'll see...

BEN...you're welcome to all of our Christmas Puddings.  A couple of years ago, when we were in London around Thanksgiving, the lovely wife, Julieanne, decided she was going to sample several major stores' Christmas puddings, so she went off gathering small pudds...all about 3 to 6 pds each (money-not weight) from Harrod's, Fortunam & Mason's, Tesco, Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury (don't think she got any from Selfridges) and hauled them all home...She sampled one...or part of one (I knew better)...the rest still sit in our freezer.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: January 21, 2004, 02:41:12 PM »

I don't do the Li'l Abner comics that much, but what I've read I've enjoyed.  I have the entire run of Kitchen Sink reprints, which are great.  I also have the rare hardback from the fifties called The World of Li'l Abner, and I, of course, have my incredible original art panel by Mr. Capp himself.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #152 on: January 21, 2004, 02:41:45 PM »

Um, I've never heard of a snickerdoodle.

I'm almost afraid to ask what they taste like for fear someone might say "well they are like sour cream cookies". :)

You will just have to try them and see for yourself.  Remember you can save them in the freezer and serve them to “drop in” company.

You remind me of a story.  As much as I love Baskin Robbins ice cream I had to boycott the store near me in Michigan.  The owner wasn’t the nicest of people.  One day I asked to sample a new flavor and he refused explaining “it is just vanilla ice cream with….added”.  :o I walked out and never returned.  That killed me but I had to do it.  He eventually went out of business.

Tomovoz

« Reply #153 on: January 21, 2004, 02:43:21 PM »

Ann -- It is very nice to have you back in town.  I'll keep an eye out for you at Safeway.

By the way, in case you are interested, the Tacoma Little Theatre is hosting an 85th Anniversary Gala concert on March 5 and 6 celebrating the musicals and the talent that have performed on their stage during the past eight and one half decades.  Tacoma Little Theatre is the oldest continuously oeprating community theater west of the Mississippi River.  Since I am probably the only actor who has been around for all 85 years, (just ask Tomovoz) I will be taking part in the show.   It is shaping up to be a spectacular evening.  Tickets are still available.
Of course I have seen all the performances over that time span too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #154 on: January 21, 2004, 02:43:27 PM »

In regard to bk's comment yesterday about the foolishness of remaking the perfectly wonderful SCROOGE, what I don't get is the 7 NEW songs for the show. Other than "See the Phantoms" and "Good Times" (from the stage version, not in the film), I don't know of any songs I wouldn't want to be in a new production of SCROOGE, so adding 7 MORE songs to an already pretty full song plate is akin to overkill.

And I WILL KILL anyone who tampers with the rest of the score as far as deleting any of the other marvelous songs.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #155 on: January 21, 2004, 02:45:55 PM »

TCB  That sounds like a fun event!  If nothing comes up to prevent me, I think I shall attend.  However, I'll have to check the dates, but I THINK that's around the time that Pirates of Penzance opens at UPS...and I happen to be in the cast, so I might be otherwise occupied :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2004, 02:59:27 PM »

I am just so tired today, I can barely keep my still-red eyes open.

Matt H.

« Reply #157 on: January 21, 2004, 03:06:09 PM »

I am just so tired today, I can barely keep my still-red eyes open.

I empathize. I had a restless night of sleep, waking up at less than one hour intervals with a hand or an arm asleep (too bad the rest of me wasn't). And then thinking of Christopher Meloni didn't help me drift off either.  :-\

Matt H.

« Reply #158 on: January 21, 2004, 03:14:56 PM »

Was delighted to place my pre-order this morning for the third box of Universal/Sherlock Holmes DVDs from UCLA. They come out this coming Tuesday. Now, if they can just remaster the two Fox.Holmes movies, we'll have the whole Rathbone set.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2004, 03:17:32 PM »

In regard to bk's comment yesterday about the foolishness of remaking the perfectly wonderful SCROOGE, what I don't get is the 7 NEW songs for the show. Other than "See the Phantoms" and "Good Times" (from the stage version, not in the film), I don't know of any songs I wouldn't want to be in a new production of SCROOGE, so adding 7 MORE songs to an already pretty full song plate is akin to overkill.

And I WILL KILL anyone who tampers with the rest of the score as far as deleting any of the other marvelous songs.

MattH, on the subject of remakes.  Although in most cases they aren't worth the film they are printed on, do keep one thing in mind.  If we didn't have remakes, we would never have had Judy Garland's A Star is Born.  The world would be a little sadder place without Mrs. Norman Maine singing "The Man That Got Away."
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2004, 03:21:34 PM »

$3.99 for frozen nuts?

I could get those for free just by stepping outside.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

MBarnum

« Reply #161 on: January 21, 2004, 03:22:40 PM »

Wow, is OZ really that violent? Hmmm...I was thinking about renting the series on DVD but I don't fair to well with graphically violent shows...I just thought it was about loving prisoners!

Jane

« Reply #162 on: January 21, 2004, 03:25:12 PM »

Charles Pogue next time you are in Marks and Spenser try their Mint Humbugs.  I think they are the best I have ever had, though to be sure I would have to compare them to ones from Tornton’s.  While in London have you ever been in a Thornton's candy store?  They make great toffee.

Matt H.

« Reply #163 on: January 21, 2004, 03:28:05 PM »

MattH, on the subject of remakes.  Although in most cases they aren't worth the film they are printed on, do keep one thing in mind.  If we didn't have remakes, we would never have had Judy Garland's A Star is Born.  The world would be a little sadder place without Mrs. Norman Maine singing "The Man That Got Away."

Well, DR TCB, it's a little bit apples and oranges. While A STAR IS BORN was a remake, it was a musical remake of a non-musical film. Adding songs to an established source is a viable reason for remaking something. So many of our great stage and screen musicals did this.

This is a person (Leslie Bricusse) who was largely responsible for producing one film remaking the story (which has been remade to death) using the same basic material with some additions. Not quite the same thing.

Matt H.

« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2004, 03:30:13 PM »

Wow, is OZ really that violent? Hmmm...I was thinking about renting the series on DVD but I don't fair to well with graphically violent shows...I just thought it was about loving prisoners!

No, DR MBarnum. While it has some of that, it is very violent and unpredictable. Better to let me inundate you with pics from the series (privately for there is considerable nudity) that you'd no doubt enjoy.

Jed

« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2004, 03:31:46 PM »

I have a batch of DR Jane's Sour Cream Cookies baking away in the oven.  I can hardly wait to try them! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2004, 03:31:47 PM »

Dare I raise the spectre of the Streisand remake of A Star is Born?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

« Reply #167 on: January 21, 2004, 03:34:57 PM »

Dare I raise the spectre of the Streisand remake of A Star is Born?

pure hubris

Jane

« Reply #168 on: January 21, 2004, 03:39:47 PM »

I have a batch of DR Jane's Sour Cream Cookies baking away in the oven.  I can hardly wait to try them! :D

I'm flattered.  But be honest, my family & friends always are, if you like them or not.

td

• td
« Reply #169 on: January 21, 2004, 03:40:41 PM »

In re DR td's little surprise:

:o

Quite an eye-opener, wasn't it? ? ?  :-X
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #170 on: January 21, 2004, 03:43:15 PM »

Boy, did I do a spit-take on that one!

MBarnum

« Reply #171 on: January 21, 2004, 03:43:31 PM »

I am going to try baking some of those cookies this weekend too...if I can find my mixer! Last time I used that mixer there was chocolate flying everywhere!!!

Yes, Matth...feel free to e-mail those pics to me anytime. I feel that I really should know more about Mr. Melonie's acting prowess..er, career.

td

• td
« Reply #172 on: January 21, 2004, 03:46:03 PM »

On the bright side, we wouldn't have had A BORE IS STARRED, either.  Rather, A STAR IN BORED.  Sorry, A STAR IS SHORN.  You know what I mean, the one with La Babs & Kris K glued nose to nose. . .

Tomovoz

« Reply #173 on: January 21, 2004, 03:47:40 PM »

"Les Miserables" has been so through so many remakes - the newest (French TV version) is IMHO by far the best.  New audiences have different tastes from us old folk - the stories can be retold. I don't mind. I don't have to watch them.  Much like the "remaking" of stage musicals - if there was no way you could have seen the original it is hardly going to effect your view of the new version. I don't mind if they remake "Casablanca" and "Gone With The Wind".  I will probably not bother with them but they may be "better" for a new generation who have different expectations from movies. It's all "Value judgements".  
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #174 on: January 21, 2004, 03:49:39 PM »

Well, I've just read the lovely posts after a very frustrating NOT very lovely afternoon - and now I'm hungry for cookies which I'd like to eat while touring London.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #175 on: January 21, 2004, 03:51:01 PM »

Ugh, I think I'm getting sick.  Bad headache.

Up late again.  Actually just got home.  A few friends and I caught a late night showing of Something's Gotta Give.  Not one I expected to go see, but they were going, so I figured I'd tag along.  Not a bad movie, really.  Dragged along a bit too long I'd say.  We knew what was going to happen, we didn't need the "will they?  won't they?" drama for that long.  But Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson were both at their best.  Although I have to say I NEVER want to see Jack Nicholson's bare ass again as long as I live.  It is a brave brave man who will run naked down a hospital hallway with his gown flapping open and his butt cheeks a-jiggling.  

Oh, Ann, I couldn't agree more about the flabby scariness of Jack Nicholson's arse.  However, I loved his rendition of La Vie en Rose over the end credits!

TD--Stuart Townsend was originally cast as Aragorn???  I had NO idea.  Oh, wow...I love Viggo, but you just don' t get any cuter than Stuart Townsend.  Maybe he wasn't rugged enough.  

I can't think of any good ask BK or DR questions...

td

• td
« Reply #176 on: January 21, 2004, 03:51:19 PM »

Yes, Matth...feel free to e-mail those pics to me anytime. I feel that I really should know more about Mr. Melonie's acting prowess..er, career.

You should know that you have a private message!
Now you can see what OZ is all about. . .

in other words, YGM!

Tomovoz

« Reply #177 on: January 21, 2004, 04:00:55 PM »

Just tried to post a picture and had the message that the "we were full" and to contact the administrator. Time for another clean out. Is that a tech board issue?
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #178 on: January 21, 2004, 04:01:20 PM »

TD--Stuart Townsend was originally cast as Aragorn???  I had NO idea.  Oh, wow...I love Viggo, but you just don' t get any cuter than Stuart Townsend.  Maybe he wasn't rugged enough.  

It is to Jackson's (et al) credit that Mr. Townsend remains nameless on the dvds whenever they speak about Viggo replacing "another actor."  That's tact, and that's style.

Jane

« Reply #179 on: January 21, 2004, 04:06:12 PM »

Maya I hope you feel better by tomorrow. :(
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up