Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAY FROM HELL  (Read 112814 times)

George #2

Re: THE DAY FROM HELL
« Reply #360 on: October 02, 2008, 12:53:04 PM »

This is kind of interesting...kind of like that Grains of Rice exhibit...

From the Daily Telegraph in the UK, Re-mapping the World...

There are 17 panels, just click next on the right to advance.

This is very interesting. :D

UncleJojo

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Bench
« Reply #361 on: October 02, 2008, 12:55:16 PM »

Good Afternoon!

DR Ben - As for my avatar - Actually, I was able to use my "old" avatar:

Forum -> Forum Profile Information -> Click on "Personalized Picture", then select and/or try to remember the name of your "old" avatar.  -Or just pic an Actor or Musician.  ;)

*As for the difference in avatar sizes, I believe the issue may have something to do with the Admin Settings in regards to sizing of avatars that are uploaded by site members.  Since the previous avatars are already on the server, they are not being resized.  -I also checked the SMF help forum, and that does seem to be the "issue" - not "problem".  ;)
Make your own luck.

UncleJojo

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Bench
« Reply #362 on: October 02, 2008, 12:56:03 PM »

Did you notice that on the "HHW Community Forums" page, if you scroll to the bottom, there's a link for the (non-euphemistic) "Members List," where you can see all the members. :)

Also, if you click on the names of the columns:  Status, Username, Email, Website, ICQ, AIM, YIM, MSN, Position, Date Registered and Posts, you can sort by each of those.  Pretty cool! 

Actually, we used to be able to do those sorts on the "old" site too.  ;)
Make your own luck.

UncleJojo

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Bench
« Reply #363 on: October 02, 2008, 12:57:22 PM »

-And the "Help" button on this page does provide some "Help", however, it's not readily evident that you can click on the other "Topics":

Introduction • Registering • Logging In • Profile • Posting • Personal Message • Searching

-Just FYI.
Make your own luck.

UncleJojo

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Bench
« Reply #364 on: October 02, 2008, 12:58:22 PM »

OK... Time for me to run a few more errands...

Laters...
Make your own luck.

NursieJane

« Reply #365 on: October 02, 2008, 01:03:09 PM »

You can asked for it to be removed in your preferences DR NURSIE JANE

thanks

NursieJane

« Reply #366 on: October 02, 2008, 01:05:13 PM »

Thursday morning greetings!  Today is the first day of the rest of our lives.

Guests may now post without registering?  Interesting.

Hi, Jane,

That was Dear Ginny who re-registered at work and when she saw that her IP address was visible (even though it's only visible to the person using it and the administrator) she decided to delete the account. She did that after she posted. That's why it shows up as Guest. A guest cannot post without registering but if a person registers, posts and then deletes ther account the posts stay and that person becomes a Guest.

Thanks for the explanation.  I figured out part 1 & 2, didn't know how someone could post as a guest.

Benjamin

« Reply #367 on: October 02, 2008, 01:05:36 PM »

I feel like Alice in Wonderland when she drinks the big and small. I'm big again. I found my old "personalized picture" It's not as sharp as the one Mr. Uncle JoJo made for me but it's full size.

You so smart Mr. JoJo  ;)

NursieJane

« Reply #368 on: October 02, 2008, 01:06:06 PM »

Does anyone plan to keep their new name once/is ever we retrieve our original names?

I think I'll stay DannyBoy--it's like regaining my innocence.

Like a virgin,
Touched for the very first time...

I like DannyBoy :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #369 on: October 02, 2008, 01:11:27 PM »

Okay, he thinks he knows what the problems - certain member things didn't get carried over, so I've got him all the info to get into the control panel and hopefully he'll now be able to fix things.  In the meantime, if singdaw is around, I believe he'll be able to post under his own name - if he'll try and let me know what happens that would be great.  The pro guy fixed his name.

NursieJane

« Reply #370 on: October 02, 2008, 01:14:40 PM »

You can asked for it to be removed in your preferences DR NURSIE JANE

Jane:  Click on your name.  Look at the column on the left under Modify Preferences.  Click on Look and Layout Preferences.  I recommend that the bottom four boxes have the first two checked and the last two unchecked.   

THEN...you must click on Account Related Settings where, at the bottom, you must enter your password in order for the changes to take effect.

DON'T FORGET that nothing changes until you've done that last step.

Thanks for the details.  I hope it worked.

Benjamin

« Reply #371 on: October 02, 2008, 01:19:13 PM »

Now that you have someone working on the site, if you choose to, you could probably delete lots and lots and lots of our "members" mostly Russian or Eastern European bots that were able to register because we had no capture screen to keep them out. If you sort the Member List by post and go to Page 7 you see that from there to Page 685 all members listed have no posts. It's pretty easy to tell which are bots and fake members. They could be deleted freeing up room on the server (that stuff is stored just like the real member information). Since we now have the capture screen to slow down/prevent fake member registrations it might be worthwhile to go down to 185 members (the number of registered members who have actually made a post, including the new registrations today) instead of 20528 of which 20,343 have never posted and most likely never will.

Just my 2 Cents

NursieJane

« Reply #372 on: October 02, 2008, 01:21:29 PM »

I see MBARNUM and Freddy

You are mistaken, that is MBollywood, in his Bollywood clothes. ;)

Mattie

« Reply #373 on: October 02, 2008, 01:23:03 PM »

I was hoping and yearning for fixes to be in place when I came back this afternoon. Oh, well.

NursieJane

« Reply #374 on: October 02, 2008, 01:24:44 PM »

To me the reason why it sucks is because PMs used to go directly to my email. But i don't check the email address i re-registered with. So if anyone sees my email (which i tried to hide) or PMs me i will not see it in my email.

You are hidden.

Mattie

« Reply #375 on: October 02, 2008, 01:25:32 PM »

I spent most of the afternoon watching Melville's marvelous LE DOULOS. Many great twists that astonish, and the transfer is beautiful with the grain that gives it that real film noir feeling.

Mattie

« Reply #376 on: October 02, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »

I refuse to do page dances until things get back to normal.

Mattie

« Reply #377 on: October 02, 2008, 01:27:03 PM »

I did manage to skim through today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Nothing, but while I didn't see Luke and Noah in the previews, I did see Lucinda and Wheatly which means L&N should be at the fundraiser, too.

Mattie

« Reply #378 on: October 02, 2008, 01:27:50 PM »

Still haven't gotten to PROJECT RUNWAY yet. Should get to it later tonight along with at least UGLY BETTY and SUPERNATURAL from this evening. I'll save SMALLVILLE to watch while I eat lunch tomorrow.

NursieJane

« Reply #379 on: October 02, 2008, 01:28:32 PM »

Now that you have someone working on the site, if you choose to, you could probably delete lots and lots and lots of our "members" mostly Russian or Eastern European bots that were able to register because we had no capture screen to keep them out. If you sort the Member List by post and go to Page 7 you see that from there to Page 685 all members listed have no posts. It's pretty easy to tell which are bots and fake members. They could be deleted freeing up room on the server (that stuff is stored just like the real member information). Since we now have the capture screen to slow down/prevent fake member registrations it might be worthwhile to go down to 185 members (the number of registered members who have actually made a post, including the new registrations today) instead of 20528 of which 20,343 have never posted and most likely never will.

Just my 2 Cents

I LIKE YOUR 2 CENTS!

Benjamin

« Reply #380 on: October 02, 2008, 01:32:15 PM »

And now, because I went through the personalized picture avatars I found my old one and now I'm big and I'm sharp and clear.

Boy, am I anal or what  :D

George #2

« Reply #381 on: October 02, 2008, 01:32:24 PM »

Just my 2 Cents

I think that this is a good idea, too...assuming that they're able to do that. :-\

Jaynrand58

« Reply #382 on: October 02, 2008, 01:32:41 PM »

Breaking news....regular programming in Indianapolis pre-empted....stand by for news...

And this is what is was:

Helio Castroneves Indicted for Tax Evasion

IRS says he owes $5 million....

That is all....we now return you to Judge Judy
Technology is great - when it works.

George #2

« Reply #383 on: October 02, 2008, 01:33:01 PM »

And now, because I went through the personalized picture avatars I found my old one and now I'm big and I'm sharp and clear.

Boy, am I anal or what  :D

Whatever floats your boat.

;)

Benjamin

« Reply #384 on: October 02, 2008, 01:34:05 PM »

Just my 2 Cents

I think that this is a good idea, too...assuming that they're able to do that. :-\

If they have full privileges they should be able to do anything. One would think so anyway.

Benjamin

« Reply #385 on: October 02, 2008, 01:40:03 PM »

Hey folks, especially Bruce who has access to the administrators, Ginny wanted me to mention this.

on the “new” HHW guests (aka lurkers) can see photos and link to profile information including e-mail addresses if they are not hidden.  I think that was available only to logged-in registered users before.

She knows because she has been "lurking" at work.

I think if that option can be changed it will be for the better. We know lots of people lurk here and it's a different world nowadays. Making it more difficult to access our personal information is a good thing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #386 on: October 02, 2008, 01:40:25 PM »

I was hoping and yearning for fixes to be in place when I came back this afternoon. Oh, well.

Please be patient - this stuff is HARD.  And if you've gone into your preferences and just ticked those few boxes, everything should be working pretty close to normal.  We'll be fine - wish singdaw were here to let us know if his old name is now working.

LMoore

• I hate this crap
« Reply #387 on: October 02, 2008, 01:40:49 PM »

DR Ginny asked me - DR Ben may have already done so -  to post this about the site's current status:

Would one of you mention on the “new” HHW that guests (aka lurkers) can see photos and link to profile info?  I think that was available only to logged-in registered users before.  Thanks for explaining to folks about my guest post.  I should have deleted the post before deleting my account.  Ah, well.

George #2

« Reply #388 on: October 02, 2008, 01:42:30 PM »

And now for something completely different:

Survivor's Big Reveal! :o

;D

LMoore

• I hate this crap
« Reply #389 on: October 02, 2008, 01:43:18 PM »

Why am I so small?

I'm sure Elmore will have a lengthy answer.

derBigmouth

I've been thinking of several retorts actually!

Now for the good news:  Since June 2008 I have lost 24 - 24! count 'em  24 -lbs!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24   Go Up