Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: UP IN ARMS  (Read 41423 times)

Ginny

Re:UP IN ARMS
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2007, 07:07:23 AM »

The Burton in Alice that I meant was Kate as Alice, which we saw at the Virginia Theatre (is that still there?).  I felt like that house kind of belonged to me  ;)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2007, 07:09:17 AM »

Are we talking about the Great Performances version? I thought he played the White Knight in that.

I saw the Eva LeGallienne ALICE production as well on Broadway but for Great Performances several roles were recast with "names." Curt Dawson played the White Knight on Broadway and Richard Burton did the PBS taping.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2007, 07:13:57 AM »

Oh, I see that the Virginia Theatre is now named for

August Wilson
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2007, 07:16:06 AM »

PAGE 4 ALICE DANCE!
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2007, 07:34:21 AM »

Will we never get to page two?

In a matter of moments.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2007, 07:40:30 AM »

DP Colin and I have only three more episodes of "Deadwood" to watch.
I would not have believed I could get so involved in a "Western". I think Matt H. was the only other person on the board who watched it.

I don't remember anyone else talking about it during its three year run except me. DEADWOOD was a show I grew to love more with each season, so I was totally devastated when the decision was made to cancel it. These were fascinating characters, never predictable from one moment to the next, or just when you thought you had someone's personality figured out, he'd throw you a curve ball, and you'd be knocked out of your socks.

With THE SOPRANOS gone now, the only series I'm watching right now on HBO is ENTOURAGE. All the others have ceased operations.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2007, 07:42:49 AM »

I liked DEADWOOD, then I lost HBO in the digital switch, and missed the last two seasons....or maybe just the last one....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2007, 07:43:19 AM »

Emergency:  Our air conditioning is not working.  Man has been called.  Hope it is not the same man in charge of delivering Mr BK's cds.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2007, 07:44:05 AM »

Yeah! What he said.

The Lincoln Center space was not considered a "Broadway" house back in 1967 and the show was not playing at the Beaumont (IIRC). Neither the New York State Theatre or the Met space are considered Broadway houses and SP played at NY State Theatre.

Ah, DR Ben beat me to the answer.

All of the Music Theater of Lincoln Center shows that I saw (SHOW BOAT, KISMET, seems like there was one more) were at the New York State Theatre.

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2007, 07:46:11 AM »

Oops (Spoo)! DR Elmore, I believe, did occasionally talk about DEADWOOD with me. I had forgotten. Sorry.

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2007, 07:46:37 AM »

Good morning!

Hot, muggy, miserable. That looks to be the report for the next five days at least.

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2007, 07:49:02 AM »

I will be watching JESSE JAMES today. I'm hoping the Fox DVD looks good because it is a three-strip Technicolor production, and Tyrone Power in good Technicolor (especially in his younger years) is awesome to watch.

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2007, 07:50:03 AM »

I'm expecting a new Criterion DVD in the mail today: IVAN'S CHILDHOOD which I've never seen. But since my mail didn't come until very late in the afternoon yesterday, I doubt it'll get seen until this evening.

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2007, 07:50:58 AM »

And, of course, a new episode of RESCUE ME comes on tonight. After the shocking conclusion to the last episode, the fallout from it will no doubt occupy much of tonight's story.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2007, 07:51:10 AM »

Supposedly another triple digit day here in the NW, but it's awfully (actually, nicely) cloudy this a.m., so maybe we'll have some relief.

Tomovoz--guess what's on this Singers Unlimited boxed set I talked about yesterday or the day before?  A very nice choral version of We Could Be Flying!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2007, 07:54:15 AM »

DR SINGDAW this may be the Outer Limits episodes that you are thinking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Premonition

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2007, 07:56:03 AM »

Sparkle, Neely, sparkle!!!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »

OK.  I don't know what made me think of this just now, but perhaps someone here will know.  Years and years ago, when I was a kid, I happened on part of a sci-fi movie on TV.  Somehow, our main characters found themselves in a time warp - real time had stopped, or at least was moving v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y, and they were outside of it.  And they were going here and there, trying to alter an outcome in real time.  The only other thing I remember about it is that they had to move very slowly, or they would burn up.  Or something like that.  I remember being intrigued by the premise.  For all I know, it could have been a really lousy film.  With that most sketchy information, can any DR tell me what movie it might have been?    :P

I'm fairly certain the movie was in black & white.

Sounds like ClockStoppers

It also reminds of a Doctor Who adventure with Hartnell in the role in the early 1960s and that was in black and white.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2007, 07:59:20 AM »

Good day to one and all!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2007, 08:03:13 AM »

I liked DEADWOOD, then I lost HBO in the digital switch, and missed the last two seasons....or maybe just the last one....

I have never seen the show but I am curious...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2007, 08:04:55 AM »

Maybe the Wells Fargo Wagon will have a delivery for bk this morning.

Interesting picture singdaw, Fargo, ND was named after William Fargo who was the founder of Wells Fargo. He was also a director on the Northern Pacific Railroad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fargo%2C_North_Dakota

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2007, 08:05:27 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I have to get ready soon for my matinee...  So...
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2007, 08:05:53 AM »

Fargo, ND's original name was Centralia...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2007, 08:06:26 AM »

I am off to work....

Have a wonderful day everyone and take care!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2007, 08:09:40 AM »

DR JMK - I meant to respond to this yesterday... I do remember coming across a piano reduction of the whole "Lt. Kije Suite" when I was a working at the sheet music store.  I think it may have been published by Masters Music Publications.  -However, I just checked their site, and it's not listed, so... -But I do remember it being carried by one of those reprint houses.  Have you checked the Dover listings?
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2007, 08:10:03 AM »

TD, do you shop at Indiaweekly.com? They have the best prices in town! Check out the 39 cent DVD sale! Woohoo!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2007, 08:11:17 AM »

DR Jason - 12:30? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

3DDiffusion

« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2007, 08:14:46 AM »

The only other thing I remember about it is that they had to move very slowly, or they would burn up.  Or something like that.  I remember being intrigued by the premise.

Also sounds like a Star Trek episode. In 'real' time, the characters heard the buzzing of gnats, but in the 'alternate time' they stood like statues while the characters - Kirk - tried to figure out what was going on. And if they bumped into something, they'd turn to dust.
I never look back. It distracts from the now.
---Edna Mode

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2007, 08:15:10 AM »

It looks like the Jerry Hadley info was a rumor started on the Opera List.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2007, 08:18:16 AM »

It looks like the Jerry Hadley info was a rumor started on the Opera List.  

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up