Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: LATENESS BECOMES ME  (Read 41148 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:LATENESS BECOMES ME
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2007, 08:35:54 AM »

I would not call me a big Eddie G. Fan:

My absolute favourite of his would be KEY LARGO...when he's lascivously whispering in Lauren Bacall's ear and the way he treats poor Claire Trevor after she sings her pathetic song.  Great stuff!  And:  "Yeah, yeah!  That's what I want.  More, more!"

I also like him in Double Indemnity and The Sea Wolf.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2007, 08:38:48 AM »

Good morning all.  I’m just in from my sleep study.  Well, to be honest, I had to go and wash my hair first because of the goop the tech had to put in it for the sensors.

After I got back into bed and reattached to everything, I had a little bit of a hard time going back to sleep.  I knew I was only supposed to stay until about five so I kept waiting for time.  I thought I heard the guy in the next room snoring as well.  I didn’t think I would go back to sleep when the next thing I knew I heard a “tap, tap, tap” sound.  Turned out it was from a Cardinal at the window.  

So, this was at a Catholic hospital?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2007, 08:39:14 AM »

TOTD:  
Ragtime

Isn't that James Cagney?
“One thing’s universal,

Jason

« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2007, 08:40:28 AM »

I don't want to work two shows today. Actually, I do because I want to see just how much money I can make this week, but the idea of being stuck in that theatre for 10 1/2 hours makes me sort of sick. These five show weekends kill my shoulders - I get very tense from folding all the shirts and holding up puppets and being on my feet all day and night. Whatever...I'm whining. It's Broadway. I'm happy to have a job.

It's supposed to get up to 97 degrees tomorrow. I didn't approve that. Who's in charge here? Someone get my agent on the phone...and the Equity deputy.

Jason

« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2007, 08:45:03 AM »

Don't see "1408."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2007, 08:54:48 AM »

The NYMF fee is very annoying and, as has been pointed out, more than confusing - I mean, I saw the same $500 that everyone else saw.  That's why I thought the contract was a mistake (and I posted about it here immediately).  I have since found out that a) this is the first year they're doing it, and b) they're trying to call it a box-office advance (although that's not what it's called in the contract).  I've asked my general manager to speak to them about it because he's done NYMF shows before and is doing a couple this year, so he knows the people.

MBarnum

« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2007, 09:01:19 AM »

Edward G. Robinson is one of those actors that I don't give much thought to, but then when I happen to see him in a film it is like, Wow, he is one h-e-double hockey sticks of an actor!

My all time favorite Edward G Robinson movies is THE RED HOUSE (1947). Very creepy.

Runners up are FIVE STAR FINAL (1931) and TIGER SHARK (1932).

There are still many, many of his films that I have yet to see.

MBarnum

« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2007, 09:02:02 AM »

And now it is NYC picture time!!!  ;D

MBarnum

« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2007, 09:04:17 AM »

We start off with my host for the first two days of my trip, the one and only DR Elmore3003. Here he sits at his computer taking names and making notes.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2007, 09:05:29 AM »

Edward G. Robinson is one of those actors that I don't give much thought to, but then when I happen to see him in a film it is like, Wow, he is one h-e-double hockey sticks of an actor!

My all time favorite Edward G Robinson movies is THE RED HOUSE (1947). Very creepy.

Runners up are FIVE STAR FINAL (1931) and TIGER SHARK (1932).

There are still many, many of his films that I have yet to see.

Leave it to DR MBarnum to come up with three EGR films that I have never even heard of in my life.
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2007, 09:08:54 AM »

Here you can see my third floor accommodations at Chez Elmore. It was quite comfy, when it wasn't raining anyway. It would have been even nicer if Larry had not always been feeding the birds by throwing birdseed onto the fire escape. He kept mentioning something about a scene in THE BIRDS, but I am not certain what that was all about.

Anyway, it was breezy but pleasant, if a bit difficult to maneuver while getting dressed in the morning.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 09:23:01 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2007, 09:12:56 AM »

After two wonderful days with Elmore he pushed handed me over to our very own Rodzinski who has recently moved into a cool 3rd floor walk up just a couple of blocks from Times Square, on W 44th.

I could tell that Elmore was broken up about my move. He even had Rodzinski in tears. I thought that was very sweet.

MBarnum

« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2007, 09:17:31 AM »

Here is a shot of Rodzinski's apartment building which also has a very nice fire escape. However, Tom had the for foresight to purchase a lovely, large couch just in time for my visit and so I was able to sleep indoors, despite objections from Elmore who thought it was much healthier for me to be in an open air environment.

I forgot to take photos of inside Rodzinski's apartment, but it is tastefully decorated with some of the coolest retro items you can imagine!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2007, 09:20:04 AM »

.. my third floor accomodations...

Shall I correct the spelling later?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

MBarnum

« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2007, 09:20:12 AM »

Here is the delightful and handsome DR Musicguy. You may notice The Paramount in the background which Musicguy has a connection to. I will ask that he explain that connection as I have forgotten the full details.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2007, 09:20:20 AM »

SECURE JOB VIBES FOR DANISE!!![/b]

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2007, 09:21:32 AM »

Good Afternoon!

And since I have just about 40 minutes to make it down to 45th Street, and since the trains are running "local" today...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2007, 09:21:57 AM »

I shall have to catch up on the pictures when I return, DR MBarnum. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2007, 09:22:06 AM »

Shall I correct the spelling later?

der Brucer

Oh, der Bruce, correcting my spelling mistakes would be a full time job.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2007, 09:22:37 AM »

DR Jason - It's a nice and very(!) cool, 64 degrees in the pit room at ACL.  Come on over!  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »

Jeanne asked:
Out of curiosity, who or what (organizations) usually funds such things?  

I wish I knew, Jeanne.  Oh, how I wish I knew.  I've spoken to some who've been through NYMF before, and they speak rather vaguely about rich uncles and generous friends and bake sales.  I've long feared that this wonderful opportunity, this grand and bully pulpit, is really only available to the rich and well-connected.

My musical Such Good Friends is a traditional large-cast show, in the grand tradition of, say, Bells Are Ringing or Guys and Dolls.  There’s no way it will cost less than $20,000

Why not the same fee across the board for all the shows -- why the big jump to $5,000 for a recommended/nominated show?

There's a rationale, but it takes a whole lot of thinking to understand it:

Such Good Friends was one of 400 submissions to NYMF's Next Link.  The idea is to give a boost to shows and writers who've languished in obscurity, like me.  But there's no rule.  Experienced practitioners are welcome to submit.  All sorts of readers weed through the 400 to find the best 36 and these are sent to the Grand Jury.  The Grand Jury consists of top Tony-honored Broadway people, Victoria Clark, B.D. Wong, Rachel Sheinkin, Margo Lion, Adam Epstein, Casey Nicholaw and they select 18 shows that will get a slot in the festival.  None of this selectors know who wrote the shows or whether they've been produced before.

Then, the people who run NYMF - Kris Stewart, Isaac Hurwitz, Jess McLeod et al - think about what sorts of shows aren't in the festival.  It's easy to imagine them saying "You know what this festival needs?  A funny sci-fi spoof!  Wasn't there one playing in L.A. some months ago?"  And so, these Powers That Be contact those Esteemed and Experienced theatre pros (such as BK) whom they'd like in the festival, and have usually done their shows in another city.

So, the rationale for that $5,000 has to do with the idea that the Invited Works already have a track record, already have the wherewithal to stake 5 grand to the Festival, knowing that box office receipts will pay it back.  The Next Link shows, which often have never been seen before on any stage (like Such Good Friends) pay $500 to participate, and don't get the same box office split, unless every seat sells.  Those 400 submissions, by the way, all paid $50 to be considered.

Whew!  That's a long and complex explanation.  And hardly complete.  But I hope it begins to answer your question.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2007, 09:24:51 AM »

OK.. Now I really gotta run... Although, I guess I should mention that I received one of three(!) outstanding payments/checks in this morning's mail.  Of course, it was for the smallest amount.  Last time, they bundled a bunch of my invoices together and put them together in one check, so... We shall see what the mail man brings me on Monday - although, I do find it "strange" that if three checks were cut and mailed on Thursday, that all three did not reach me at the same time.  Not even two out of three.  Ah, well...  OK...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2007, 09:24:58 AM »

Two of a favorite boys...DRs Musicguy and Jose on the Broad Way!

MBarnum

« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2007, 09:27:08 AM »

A couple of Yahoo's in Time's Square (myself and that cutie pie DR Jose)

MBarnum

« Reply #114 on: July 07, 2007, 09:30:04 AM »

....joined by one of my favorite couples DR Ben and his everlovin' Anthony!

MBarnum

« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2007, 09:32:15 AM »

For some reason I enjoyed having the Yahoo sign in the  backgound of these photos (no reflection on those being photographed)...Here we have the lovely DR Ginny, who looked smashing in this yellow outfit! Along with her is DH Richard who I met for the first time on this trip. Two adorable people, I tell you!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 09:33:17 AM by MBarnum »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2007, 09:32:25 AM »

GREAT PHOTOS!

MBarnum

« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2007, 09:35:33 AM »

Lastly, but not leastly, we are joined by DR Jason, another of the cutest guys in the Big Apple, don't you agree!

This gathering of HHWers was for a wonderful meal at the Brooklyn Diner.

MBarnum

« Reply #118 on: July 07, 2007, 09:37:41 AM »

Posting these pictures is really making me miss all of you guys!!! 90 percent of the fun for me on this trip to NY was seeing and visiting with you all!  ;D

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2007, 09:38:46 AM »

The NYMF fee is very annoying and, as has been pointed out, more than confusing - I mean, I saw the same $500 that everyone else saw.  That's why I thought the contract was a mistake (and I posted about it here immediately).  I have since found out that a) this is the first year they're doing it

Point of information: I have here, on my desk, right in front of me, the list of actual expenses for one of last year's Invited Works.  Application fees is the fourth largest budget item, $1,795.  Total budget was $22,648.66
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Up