Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: I'M HOT  (Read 21493 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re:I'M HOT
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2008, 10:47:37 AM »

Hello, everyone.

It looks like rain here. I have a couple errands to do, then want to come home and reeelaaaxx.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2008, 10:48:50 AM »

Re Greek yogurt, I have some in the refrigerator, but haven't tried it yet. I'd forgotten all about it.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2008, 10:50:29 AM »

I feel brain-dead today. sigh.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2008, 10:51:19 AM »

Off to do the errands.

singdaw

« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2008, 10:59:05 AM »

DR ArnoldMBrockman -  I heard Jonathan Schwartz on the radio today use the phrase:

as if by wizardry...     :)

singdaw

« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2008, 11:01:19 AM »

DR JoseSPiano - glad that your back is feeling better.

***BACK RECOVERY VIBES***[/size][/color]
to DR elmore3003![/size][/color]

***DELIVERY VIBES***[/size][/color]
to DR RLP's COUSIN, ASHLEY![/size][/color]

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2008, 11:24:49 AM »

DR ArnoldMBrockman -  I heard Jonathan Schwartz on the radio today use the phrase:

as if by wizardry...     :)

You got it. As If By Wizardry. I lIsten to Him All The Time

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2008, 11:57:51 AM »

I think that every person in this country did any, one, of the things on your list, we would be a lot closer to solving the problem of global warming than we are by burying our heads in the collective sand.

Actually, the simplest thing we could do in the US is to build more nuclear power plants.

US gets 20% energy from Nucelar
Japan gets 30% and is building out to an 80% level
France gets 80%

Ontario, Canada gets 50% of their power from nuclear plants!

der Brucer

Note: 20-40 people die in coal mining accidents in the US every year - none from Nucelar Power accidents!

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

FJL

« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2008, 12:06:38 PM »

Larry and Skip should just about now be watching the curtain go up on the final performance of the Two River run of Glass Menagerie, starring Dear friend Maureen.  

Or at least they would be if there were a curtain.  :)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2008, 12:16:14 PM »

Larry and Skip should just about now be watching the curtain go up on the final performance of the Two River run of Glass Menagerie, starring Dear friend Maureen.  

Or at least they would be if there were a curtain.  :)

I believe Fred Ebb took the Curtains.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2008, 01:02:50 PM »

It was a beautiful day outside, but I had chores and movies to watch inside, so here I am. It is a nice day, though. I may sit outside on the porch a little later. We'll see how quickly I can get the review written and posted.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2008, 01:08:58 PM »

I began my afternoon watching HIT THE DECK. It is one of THE best transfers to DVD that Warners has ever done. Quite a few times I convinced myself that this HAD to be Technicolor rather than Eastmancolor. But, no, it's Eastmancolor all right, and sharp, free of dirt and defects and puts my laserdisc and DVD-R (from TCM) to shame.

As for the sound, DR JMK, I chose the Dolby Digital 5.1 track as opposed to the original 4 channel track. I found no obvious problems with it. Now, the voume level at the very beginning of "Cheribiribin" was a little low for Kay Armen's part of the vocal, but it quickly rose to the correct volume.

And the sound of the "Hallalelujah" finale number has always sounded echoy and a little hollow. But other than those two places, I could discern no problems at all. Sure, I'd have liked for more separation to be sent to the rear channels; it's a very front-heavy mix. But that's typical of a lot of older musical soundtracks when they've been brought to DVD.

So, for me, HIT THE DECK is the finest transfer I've watched yet from the musical box. I wish KISMET had been this sharp.

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2008, 01:13:24 PM »

Next I watched WHITE MANE. It's a bittersweet story of a boy and a wild horse. I'd never seen it before, but the 40 minutes flew by. It was over almost before I knew it.

A little surprised that this won the Grand Prix at Cannes. It's well done (filmed silent with sound effects and voices dubbed in later), but it's hardly a masterpiece or even a film I would think would rank among the best of its year. It must have been a sluggish year at Cannes.

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2008, 01:16:06 PM »

I concluded my afternoon watching the first 50 minutes of TWO WEEKS WITH LOVE. Robert Harris mentioned that Warners had to work from problematic elements with this movie, and there is some color fluctuation (nothing like the abomination with Fox's CAN-CAN), but overall, so far at least, it looks lovely (maybe just a little dark) with rich Technicolor and a really wonderful score of period tunes. Looking forward to finishing it later this evening.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2008, 01:16:46 PM »

Actually, the simplest thing we could do in the US is to build more nuclear power plants.

US gets 20% energy from Nucelar
Japan gets 30% and is building out to an 80% level
France gets 80%

Ontario, Canada gets 50% of their power from nuclear plants!

der Brucer

Actually, derBrucer, I agree that nuclear energy would be a very welcome change for America; but sadly nuclear energy does nothing about solving the problem of auto emissions in the atmospheres caused by the millions of automobiles in almost every country in the world.  Also, turning the U.S. to nuclear energy does nothing to stop the continuing pollution for the 99% of the world's countries that have no nuclear energy.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2008, 01:17:14 PM »

Tomorrow I'll likely start the next Criterion DVD: DEATH OF A CYCLIST. This is another film I've never seen before.

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2008, 01:39:54 PM »

I have about 40 more minutes with TWO WEEKS WITH LOVE. After that, I think I'll probably watch THE ADVENTURES OF BARON MUNCHHAUSEN on Blu-ray. Eager to see what that looks like in high definition.

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2008, 01:40:21 PM »

Going to sign off for a bit now and write up WHITE MANE. I'll be back later in the afternoon.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2008, 01:53:13 PM »

Matt, my problems on both the 5.0 and 5.1 mix start at the first ostensible "outdoor" SF shot of Martin, Damone and Tamblyn about the enter the club.  Volume levels drop precipitously (at least on my system) there and continue to do that intermittently until the last half hour of the film, when everything is fine.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2008, 01:55:45 PM »

Sunday afternoon greetings!  DH Richard and I just returned home after church in Cincinnati, lunch with Rob and Mary Linda, and a shopping errand for each of us.  He picked up his 2 new suits (both black, a 2-button and a 3-button) and I went to Barnes & Noble for a christening gift for our great-nephew Timothy and a big-brother gift for his...um...big brother Nathan.  We will be attending the christening next Sunday in Payne, OH, where their mother, Richard's niece, Rev. Amy, is a Methodist minister.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2008, 02:37:15 PM »

Matt, my problems on both the 5.0 and 5.1 mix start at the first ostensible "outdoor" SF shot of Martin, Damone and Tamblyn about the enter the club.  Volume levels drop precipitously (at least on my system) there and continue to do that intermittently until the last half hour of the film, when everything is fine.

Nope, didn't experience that at all.

Danise

« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2008, 02:37:28 PM »

Hi all!

I hope eveyone is having a wonderful day.  

Well, I believe I have solved the Bear/bed problem.  I bought Bear a 36" Wide X 48" Long and 6" Deep Orthopedic Bed.  

I swear that dog knows when your trying to do something for him.  When I brought it in and laid it next to my bed he looked up a me and went "Wooorrrrr".  He then climbed on it, circled 3 times and laid right down!  :D

I was so happy for him!  I've looked over at him several times during the past couple of nights and he seems both happy and snug.  

Sheena just jumps up with me so she's ok as well.  I think this worked out well.  

:D :) :D :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 02:47:31 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2008, 02:38:37 PM »

Writing done. Everything posted. Now, I need to head down to clean my bathroom and then put away the already folded laundry.

WBBL.

Danise

« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2008, 02:39:33 PM »

Vibes to DR's Elmore and Jose for their backs!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2008, 02:41:46 PM »

Thelma, Her DH and I went out to a very nice dinner last night at Cafe Don Jose in Temple Terrace.

I had Chicken and Yellow Rice with the wonderful house salad and brown bread.  Yummers!

I've wanted to go back to that place for years but never seemed to manage to get there.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2008, 02:49:37 PM »

I have to go check on my meatloaf.  Alas, not the singer.  But I have seen his new phone commercial.  Just about fell out of chair because I only half watching the first time I saw it.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2008, 03:13:39 PM »

TV Reminders:

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES returns! ELI STONE follows!

COLD CASE and DEXTER (for those who haven't already seen it on Showtime or DVD)

DIRT! (it's the season finale)

JOHN ADAMS on HBO

THE TUDORS on Showtime

MONK and PSYCH reruns on NBC.

Holy Moley! What a line-up!

You forgot Iron Chef America on FoodTV.

But it's a rerun, so I'll forgive you.

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

FJL

« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2008, 03:17:02 PM »

A leisurely afternoon with Toby and Dylan, and doing a few non-rush returns which are already on extension and still missing a little bit of information - but glad they're not due on Tuesday.

Skip and Larry should be boarding the train back from Red Bank to NYC any minute now.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2008, 03:22:37 PM »

A leisurely afternoon with Toby and Dylan, and doing a few non-rush returns which are already on extension and still missing a little bit of information - but glad they're not due on Tuesday.

Skip and Larry should be boarding the train back from Red Bank to NYC any minute now.

Good grief!  How long is that production???

« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 03:23:56 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2008, 03:27:53 PM »

Actually, the simplest thing we could do in the US is to build more nuclear power plants....

...Note: 20-40 people die in coal mining accidents in the US every year - none from Nucelar Power accidents!

That's because we have so few Nuclear Power Plants to begin with!

Sorry, couldn't resist.   ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up