Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: YE OLDE NOTES  (Read 33567 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:YE OLDE NOTES
« Reply #180 on: August 09, 2005, 04:33:58 PM »

In Japan, they do these wonderfully cool things called mini LP packaging.  They are slightly bigger than jewel case packages (instead of 4x4 they are basically 5 1/4 x 5 1/4).  These releases look exactly like what their name implies - miniature LP albums.  I really love them, and I'm thinking of trying to bring this style of packaging to Kritzerland.  I think if I were to do this, we would, as always, see a host of other specialty labels suddenly imitating us as if they'd thought of it themselves.  For cast albums, for example, we would do a gatefold mini LP - just like the cast albums of Subways, or  Sound of Music or Hello, Dolly! on LP.  The interior two pages of the gatefold would have lots of photos.  The back of the jacket would have track listing and maybe credits.  Then, inside the sleeve would be a single double-sided page which fold open and is, in essence, eight panels of text, even though it's just like a folded piece of paper, so in essence you'd get eight pages of text.

What do you all think of this idea?

I visited our pressing plant today and showed them the packaging and our gal there was completely blown away by it and will be talking to her printers tomorrow to see how much they think it will cost them to do it.  If it's the same price (she actually thinks it may be LESS expensive, but we shall see) or even a few pennies more, I may just try to do it.  But, I'd like some opinions.  They'd be much easier to ship, no broken jewel cases or hubs ever, and I could conceivably lower the shipping costs by seventy-five cents.

Absolutely splendid idea.

I've seen those Japanese CDs you mention and they're quite wonderful.

Where does the CD go?  Inside the sleeve like an LP?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #181 on: August 09, 2005, 04:37:48 PM »

Wow!  That's pretty darned snazzy!

Thanks, DR George.  I've been driving fairly staid Buicks for about 10 years and decided that it was time for something a little more sporty.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #182 on: August 09, 2005, 04:55:02 PM »

Now, opinions needed section:

In Japan, they do these wonderfully cool things called mini LP packaging.  They are slightly bigger than jewel case packages (instead of 4x4 they are basically 5 1/4 x 5 1/4).  These releases look exactly like what their name implies - miniature LP albums.  I really love them, and I'm thinking of trying to bring this style of packaging to Kritzerland.  I think if I were to do this, we would, as always, see a host of other specialty labels suddenly imitating us as if they'd thought of it themselves.  For cast albums, for example, we would do a gatefold mini LP - just like the cast albums of Subways, or  Sound of Music or Hello, Dolly! on LP.  The interior two pages of the gatefold would have lots of photos.  The back of the jacket would have track listing and maybe credits.  Then, inside the sleeve would be a single double-sided page which fold open and is, in essence, eight panels of text, even though it's just like a folded piece of paper, so in essence you'd get eight pages of text.

I have two Ella Fitzgerald CDs that are like this:  Ella's "Live in Berlin" album and Ella and Louis Armstrong sing Porgy and Bess.

I love these! ;D They are so cool!  When I bought them several years ago, I got them at Tower Records in Seattle and their jazz section had a gazillion of them.  It was very difficult trying to pick which ones to get because I had very little money at the time.  Still don't, but... ::)  Anyway, Verve was the company that released most of them.  They were all imports from Japan but still comparably priced to regular CDs.  I say YES!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jed

« Reply #183 on: August 09, 2005, 04:59:47 PM »

Now, opinions needed section:

In Japan, they do these wonderfully cool things called mini LP packaging.  They are slightly bigger than jewel case packages (instead of 4x4 they are basically 5 1/4 x 5 1/4).

Only downside I can see would be storage, as they wouldn't fit in standard CD racks.  Beyond that, however, sounds great!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: August 09, 2005, 05:01:03 PM »

Well when only the best will do....

What a sweet thing to say, beautiful vixmom!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: August 09, 2005, 05:03:05 PM »

With no Charley's Aunt rehearsal on Thursday, Ann and I will be making a trip up to Seattle to see the pre-Broadway production of Princesses, starring the WSMA, Brent Barrett.

Is this the musical that was done at Goodspeed last year?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jed

« Reply #186 on: August 09, 2005, 05:04:02 PM »

Is this the musical that was done at Goodspeed last year?

It certainly is.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: August 09, 2005, 05:04:02 PM »

I've said it before, I'll say it again... I am addicted to Ritz Chips.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  Overeaters Anonymous, Clambake!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: August 09, 2005, 05:06:52 PM »

You might want to check out the song demos for Princesses, DR JED

DRD-T-M, yes, this looks like the show from Goodspeed.  Who's doing the orchestrations?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 05:07:17 PM by elmore3003 »

Jed

« Reply #189 on: August 09, 2005, 05:12:24 PM »

DRD-T-M, yes, this looks like the show from Goodspeed.  Who's doing the orchestrations?

From what I can find, orchestrations for the Goodspeed production were done by Douglas Besterman, but looks like Bruce Coughlin may have taken over since then.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #190 on: August 09, 2005, 05:14:31 PM »

From what I can find, orchestrations for the Goodspeed production were done by Douglas Besterman, but looks like Bruce Coughlin may have taken over since then.

Oh, yes, Bruce has a Tony now.

Jed

« Reply #191 on: August 09, 2005, 05:17:00 PM »

Oh, yes, Bruce has a Tony now.

That he does, and we all know what you have to say about that.  :D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: August 09, 2005, 05:23:16 PM »

That he does, and we all know what you have to say about that.  :D

Yes, but I would say meaner things off the site.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #193 on: August 09, 2005, 05:25:58 PM »

Yes, but I would say meaner things off the site.

LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA....
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: August 09, 2005, 05:26:47 PM »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #195 on: August 09, 2005, 05:27:50 PM »

Good Evening!

Just a few posts/repsonses, and then I'm off to a cast party!  YEAH!!

DR Jason mentioned Gregory Jbara - While boarding the subway a few weeks ago at Columbus Circle, Gregory was getting on the train with his son - very adorable.  He had apparently just come from one of the Broadway Softball League games since he was in his uniform.

Man, did he look good in that uniform!

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #196 on: August 09, 2005, 05:30:22 PM »

DR elmore - You mentioned Joe Cassidy - One of my favorite people too - and I need to arrange a house seat for Scoundrels through him.  He was my Adam/Noah last spring at Ford's in Children of Eden.  Truly a great guy.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #197 on: August 09, 2005, 05:31:21 PM »

DRs Jed and Ann - I have just a few words for you...

"Baby, baby, baby, baby, baby..."

-Trust me, it will all make sense soon.  Thursday night in fact.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #198 on: August 09, 2005, 05:33:06 PM »

And what, pray tell, was on the menu at this dinner theater?

Yes, they did have meat pies on the menu during the run of the show.  Cornish pasties to be more precise.

It was a buffet set up, and it was fun watching people's reaction when someone would take one out of the warming tray.. "Umm.. Do you really want to eat that?"

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #199 on: August 09, 2005, 05:35:00 PM »

Good Evening!

Just a few posts/repsonses, and then I'm off to a cast party!  YEAH!!

DR Jason mentioned Gregory Jbara - While boarding the subway a few weeks ago at Columbus Circle, Gregory was getting on the train with his son - very adorable.  He had apparently just come from one of the Broadway Softball League games since he was in his uniform.

Man, did he look good in that uniform!

:P

Speaking of baseball uniforms, as we were leaving Barrymore's, Frederick Weller of TAKE ME OUT passed us.  Greg Jbara is such a neat guy.  When he did the Carnegie Hall Recital Hall VERY WARM FOR MAY, his encore of "All the Things You Are" was one of the great moments in musical theatre.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #200 on: August 09, 2005, 05:35:30 PM »

BK - Those mini-LPs are great.  And you can get them in the same size as a standard jewel-case.  A lot of pop/rock albums have been coming in that format - since it's very eco-friendly packaging too.  And from I understand, it actually is slightly cheaper to manufacture them since there are less "cuts" involved when putting together the booklet.  It's just one piece of paper, folded.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #201 on: August 09, 2005, 05:36:06 PM »

DR elmore - You mentioned Joe Cassidy - One of my favorite people too - and I need to arrange a house seat for Scoundrels through him.  He was my Adam/Noah last spring at Ford's in Children of Eden.  Truly a great guy.

I want to see Joe do the DRS lead.  I love him too.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #202 on: August 09, 2005, 05:36:15 PM »

Well.. I can smell the pizza wafting up from downstairs...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #203 on: August 09, 2005, 05:38:05 PM »

Can someone post a link of these japanese style LP cases, so I can picture what you're talking about.

George

« Reply #204 on: August 09, 2005, 05:47:04 PM »

Yes, they did have meat pies on the menu during the run of the show.  Cornish pasties to be more precise.

Pasties?  Were there strippers in the house?? ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: August 09, 2005, 05:56:07 PM »

Yes, the CD fits in the sleeve, just like an LP.  Grant and I have seen some of the ones they've done in the US, which are 5x5, but we don't like them as much, and the material being used isn't as good as the Japan ones, plus we love the way they glue the sections together on the Japan ones, which is exactly the same way they did the LPs.  I'm glad the reaction is positive.  And I had CD cases built for me and they do fit in those - it's only another inch and a half.  They also take up much less room and, as has been stated, they look great.  So, let's hope we get a positive response from the pressing plant, and the first album I may try it on might just be the upcoming cast album, should the folks be amenable to trying something different.

I just had a lovely chat with Mr. Terry Trotter.  Oh, what stories he told me - stories of recent telephonic calls - so interesting.  In any case, it looks like we're going to do a Trotter album this year for release early next year - all ballads, all Broadway - we'd talked about doing something like that before, and it seems like the time is right for it.  First we talked about doing ballads from the great American songbook, but it's easier to sell Broadway, especially if we get a couple of the newer shows represented.

MBarnum

« Reply #206 on: August 09, 2005, 06:02:34 PM »

I too love those mini-album cds. I have the DR SAMUEL J. HOFFMAN and the THEREMIN CD set (conducted by Les Baxter and Billy May). It is a boxed set and the mini-lps are repros of the original 1950s LP albums! Very cool looking!

Jed

« Reply #207 on: August 09, 2005, 06:09:48 PM »

A new Trotter album?  Fantastic!  The various and sundried Sondheim in Jazz albums are some of my more frequently played CDs.

George

« Reply #208 on: August 09, 2005, 06:13:10 PM »

With no Charley's Aunt rehearsal on Thursday, Ann and I will be making a trip up to Seattle to see the pre-Broadway production of Princesses, starring the WSMA, Brent Barrett.

If it hasn't been referenced before, Playbill.com has an article about the show starring the World's Sexiest Man Alive (WSMA in HHW lingo ;)):

Before Broadway, Princesses, the Musical About Fathers, Daughters, Heartthrobs and Heartache, Plays Seattle
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 06:15:59 PM by George »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #209 on: August 09, 2005, 06:16:14 PM »

If anyone who has and knows the Trotter albums would like to make suggestions, we're listening.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up