Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MATCHING DICKIE  (Read 17166 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:THE MATCHING DICKIE
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2004, 10:33:06 AM »

E Power Biggs never played a Wurlitzer ;)

der Brucer (half expecting Jay to pull out some obscure 78 of Biggs at Radio City Music Hall's Great Wurlitzer)

No, I can't do that.  But Dear Reader (or is it Dear Former Reader?) Music Guy used to be featured quite regularly on "Gee, Dad!  It's A Wurlitzer!"
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jennifer

« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2004, 10:33:31 AM »

Great pics!  But the mystery remains:  who are "Jason" and "deMarco"?

I was wondering the same thing.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2004, 10:38:40 AM »

Turtle Update... He is happy and sunning himself. (And says hello to birthday boy SWW and the dogs.)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2004, 10:51:09 AM »

Great pics!  But the mystery remains:  who are "Jason" and "deMarco"?

I was wondering the same thing.

ME THREE!!  Who ARE Jason and deMarco ??? They're cute, but Inquiring Minds Want To Know!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2004, 10:53:10 AM »

There's a listing for a DeMarco on imdb.com, but the only credit is for being a set designer on "Erika's Hot Summer" in 1971.  I don't think this deMarco was even BORN in 1971!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2004, 10:59:24 AM »

If you combine their names, they sound like a soap opera character. Jason deMarco, now on All My Children (or Days of Our Lives, or Passions or One Life to Live or take your pick).

Ben

« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2004, 11:00:08 AM »

We seem ever so slightly to be in Cinemascope.

Ben

« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2004, 11:00:53 AM »

Speaking of radio, I'm listening to AccuRadio and they are playing One More Kiss from the Original Broadway Cast (1971) of Follies.

Ben

« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2004, 11:01:09 AM »

I am my own frenzy!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2004, 11:07:50 AM »

Happy birthday, Dear Reader S. Woody White!

Welcome to new Dear Reader Beckon/Joseph. Do you like Cherry Coke?

I don't know much from radio. I like to listen to the local old people station. My brother listens to all sorts of radio trash full of foul language and other unseemliness. And he is so kind as to turn up the volume and share it with everyone else in the house.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Panni

« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2004, 11:09:08 AM »

Is the CBC running the Olympics all day?

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2004, 11:12:03 AM »

I first listened to the radio to see what was happening with my beloved New York Mets.  Unfortunately, I was stuck in Los Angeles at the time, so the Met news wasn't so frequent.  But Vin Scully called a most engaging ballgame.  The radio didn't have a "sleep" setting, so, often, I'd doze off and wake after the game.

Which on KFI, meant Dave Hull, a humorous man who invited the Dodger first-baseman, Wes Parker to do the show with him.  Eventually, I got a clock-radio which you could set to turn on in the morning.  Since the dial was on KFI (and I never saw any need to move it), I was soon waking to Al Lohman and Roger Barkley.

Now, what Lohman and Barkley did was not extraordinary or unusual by today's standards, but I wonder how common all this was 30-35 years ago: They used funny voices to create characters, and you were listening to an entire fictional town with loads and loads of humorous personages.  My young mind found this most amusing.

Late at night, on Sundays, there was, lo and behold, a radio drama produced by the Salvation Army.  No, it wasn't called "lo and behold" but it could have been.  These were always inspirational dramas, and amazingly melodramatic.  I realized that these were the last vestige of the sort of drama known to my parents in their youth.  I got my friend Adam to listen to them, and he was similarly enthralled.

So, eventually, we dug out my dad's old reel-to-reel and recorded our own audio plays.  We spoofed the then-current craze for disaster films, using many a fun sound effect.  (If I recall, Hollywood fought an outbreak of lockjaw - probably inspired by Charlton Heston's performances.)  Adam went on to write many a movie and to create many a comedy show on television (currently Mad-TV, the Jamie Kennedy Experiment and Blue Collar), and he'd be quick to tell you "It all started when Noel dug out his father's reel-to-reel."
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2004, 11:17:26 AM »

Several Olympics ago, (1992, I think) my ex-husband (then my present husband) and Tommy Ambrose wrote the Olympic theme that was played by CTV each time the games were on. (Written in our living room on my much missed old Cable-Nelson piano.) There was a gigantic orchestra, a huge choir of children, and Michael Burgess as soloist. The song, "There Are No Strangers," became quite popular and was released as a single. Unfortunately it was a straight buy-out, so they didn't get rich.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 11:29:18 AM by Panni »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2004, 11:20:40 AM »

Jose you have excellent instincts.  I hope the job works out for you.  It sounds like a nice place to work. :)

I haven’t read today’s column or posts as I must leave to do errands.  Errand are a distraction I need right now.

I had to take Bogie to the vet this morning and tomorrow he is going to have minor surgery to remove a lump.  It feels benign but cats don’t normally get these things like dogs do, so it must come off.  I know it will be okay but his sister died of cancer and I feel bad he has to go through this.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2004, 11:21:52 AM »

If you combine their names, they sound like a soap opera character. Jason deMarco, now on All My Children (or Days of Our Lives, or Passions or One Life to Live or take your pick).

(makes fists with each hand, palms upward, shaking them slightly)

"I will make Jason deMarco pay for what he has done to me!"

Yep, that works.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2004, 11:29:45 AM »

We need a report from DR MattH:

Naked boaters snarl I-77 traffic

(extracted from the Charlotte Observer:

When folks doff duds, drivers brake on I-77 crossing Lake Norman

ERICA BESHEARS

Staff Writer

Lake Norman boaters gathered near Interstate 77 have found a way to stop traffic: baring all.

"They get right up to that riprap, and they take their clothes off," Iredell County sheriff's Deputy Phil Jones told the Lake Norman Marine Commission this week.
Boaters -- nude ones and those wearing bathing suits -- have attracted the attention of drivers in recent weeks, at times halting traffic at the causeway between Iredell and Mecklenburg counties and sparking complaints, Jones said.

Marine commissioner Mark Lancaster of Iredell County confirmed Jones' report. He said he was in the area setting up for the July 31 Lake Norman Raft-Up, when he heard the honking of tractor-trailers and saw stopped traffic. Then he saw three naked women in a boat near the causeway.
But marine commissioners and law enforcement said the traffic problem wasn't limited to the Raft-Up or naked people. Drivers reported a southbound traffic jam Sunday caused by drivers watching boaters on the lake.

"I've seen traffic jams looking at the sunset," Reece said.

"Officer, I was just watching the sunset" will join "I did not have sex with that women" as one of the great quotes of history.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jennifer

« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2004, 11:36:07 AM »

Is the CBC running the Olympics all day?

I'm not sure of the exact hours.  But I believe they start early in the morning (maybe 6am or 7am).

They go from that time till 10pm or 11pm at night (with a short break for news).

Also the french CBC has similar coverage.  As well TSN and RDS have all day coverage.  And I think TSN has live 1am-7am coverage (of whatever is going on at that time).

Jennifer

« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2004, 11:40:05 AM »

Good vibes for Bogie and DR Jane! ~~~~~~~~~

Btw, wasn't there a famous (non-theatre) singer at the Opening of What If? (whose pic i didn't see today).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2004, 12:00:40 PM »

Lovely pictures of quadrapeds on the board today....warm and cold blooded ones.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2004, 12:03:50 PM »

Panni's Repairman take a quick dip before work:

(Troy Dumais, foreground, and Justin Dumais compete in the men's 3-meter synchro diving event at the 2004 American Cup diving championship.)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2004, 12:08:44 PM »

Welcome to new Dear Reader Beckon.

Happy happy birthday to Dear Reader S Woody!!!

I am waiting for my new sofa to be delivered. It is supposed to be delivered between 10 am and 1 pm. They have 50 minutes left.

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Panni

« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2004, 12:14:09 PM »

I am feeling very restless today, May take a break and go out into the world. (Those are NOT my repairmen, DB. They were here yesterday by mistake and they're Hispanic - not a Troy or a Justin among them.)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2004, 12:19:11 PM »

Panni's Repairman take a quick dip before work:

(Troy Dumais, foreground, and Justin Dumais compete in the men's 3-meter synchro diving event at the 2004 American Cup diving championship.)

Can someone please tell me how I seemed to miss ALL of the men's synchro diving, but everytime I turn the damn TV (television, not transvestite) on, there seems to be women's beach volleyball???!!!???

Jennifer

« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2004, 12:38:38 PM »

DR Stuart, if there is a certain event you want to see, check the schedule to see when it is on.

However, since USA wasn't expected to win medals in synchro diving, NBC probably didn't show much of it.

Personally I much prefer regular diving, which starts again in a couple days.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2004, 12:45:28 PM »

HEADLINE:  MICHAEL PHELPS SAYS THE HELL WITH IT!!!

(Real story here )
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 12:46:36 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2004, 01:23:09 PM »

Which just goes to show you, a determined invader can outwit any number of security officers and safeguards.  

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2004, 01:25:01 PM »

Which just goes to show you, a determined invader can outwit any number of security officers and safeguards.  

Which is a scary thought, indeed.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2004, 01:46:08 PM »

Did anyone read the story about the 3 year old boy who choked to death on popcorn at an R-Rasted movie with his parents?  What the hell were his parents thinking taking him to an R-Rated movie in the first place, and were they so engrossed in the screen that they didn't realize their son was choking before it was too late?  I'm sure this will be considered an accident, but in my mind the parents are totally at fault for putting their pleasure ahead of their child's welfare.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2004, 01:47:19 PM »

Because of the way the tutu pic is set up, did anyone else think that there were two tutu men?

I read syncho diving, and saw the two pics, and thought the men were trying their hand at synchonized diving. :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2004, 01:58:07 PM »

Wish I could get away with a simple jig-for-the-day.
I must comtemplate the Birthday Dinner.

Hmmm....Mickey D's, Pizza Hut, or splurge on Applebee's?

der Brucer
Fat chance, since we never go to that kind of place!

Remember, we're teaching the grandlads that McDonald's is EVIL!

Thanks to all the well-wishing from all!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up