Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: SPEED WRITING  (Read 21785 times)

Jason

Re:SPEED WRITING
« Reply #210 on: October 25, 2005, 08:02:17 PM »

I used to be a Spanish/French double major. I'm pretty fluent in Spanish, but I really don't remember much French.

Sorry to have been E&T today - busy day at work and I've been cleaning all night in preparation for my family's visit this weekend. I reek of bleach right now.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #211 on: October 25, 2005, 08:12:05 PM »

I hope those of you who got the new WIZARD OF OZ will give us your impressions. I've read so many divergent views on it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #212 on: October 25, 2005, 08:14:01 PM »

DR Jose, I am glad you are going to get to see Stella and Stella's one more time...that was a nice story!

And you gave backrubs to the waitresses!....Well, I imagine there must have been a waiter or two who got rubbed by you as well  ;)

Alas, no waiters...  Oh, wait, there was Bryan....

:)

Memories...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #213 on: October 25, 2005, 08:15:42 PM »

I had read that about Hugh Jackman touring Australia in THE BOY FROM OZ last week. The show is made special by his participation in it. You certainly try to see it if you can with him in it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #214 on: October 25, 2005, 08:17:56 PM »

Well, it truly has been a long day for me - I kept thinking it was 'earlier' all day.  ;)

So... This WUSSBURGER WITH EXTRA CHEESE is heading to bed...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #215 on: October 25, 2005, 08:19:08 PM »

Burned a DVD copy of MIDNIGHT LACE for myself this afternoon, and I suspect if Universal is planning on doing a commercial DVD release, the print used will also be the one on the DVD (hopefully anamorphically encoded). It looks splendid.

Curiously, at the beginning of the film, we got the dreaded "this film has been modified, etc. . . . " but it wasn't full frame at all. The letterboxing was present the entire time.

This film had a great cast, and I can remember that it actually scared me the first time I watched it. And there are SO many red herrings.

Matt H.

« Reply #216 on: October 25, 2005, 08:20:37 PM »

However, John Gavin does just about the most feeble British accent ever attempted by an A-list American actor. Honestly, I don't know why he even bothered.

Matt H.

« Reply #217 on: October 25, 2005, 08:22:58 PM »

MIDNIGHT LACE ended with two minutes to spare before the start of SUPERNATURAL. Good episode this week that stole a bit from both I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER and THE FOG.

Best thing about the episode was a welcome return of Dan Butler playing a preacher who figures greatly in the plot of the episode. Always loved him on FRASIER, and he isn't used enough as a guest star.

I'd love to see him have his own series, too. He can play comedy or drama with equal ease.

Matt H.

« Reply #218 on: October 25, 2005, 08:25:07 PM »

Then I continued with CITIZEN COHN. I'm guessing certain flashbacks were filmed with extra grain because some of this film is very sharp and clear and other parts look grainy and lacking sharpness.

Or, it could simply have been shoddy encoding of the disc. The DVD is quite a few years old, and transfer techniques are better now.

Matt H.

« Reply #219 on: October 25, 2005, 08:27:04 PM »

I, on the other hand, did NOT get any DVDs today in the mail, but I did enjoy the soundtrack to KISS ME KATE as I did my cleaning this afternoon.

And I wouldn't be surprised if my WIZARD OF OZ doesn't even come tomorrow. I got my shipping notice on Monday afternoon, and sometimes, that can mean a day later for the package to arrive.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #220 on: October 25, 2005, 08:27:27 PM »

No DR TCB - not ME!!  Edward R. Murrow!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #221 on: October 25, 2005, 08:37:30 PM »

DR GEORGE my sister Molly also got one of the 29.95 Heart of the Ocean necklaces....still causes comments when she wears it.  

TITANIC ALTERNATE ENDING SPOILER

According to the script...and I assume the alternate ending....Brock sees Rose holding the necklace over the ocean and implores her not to drop it.

Rose:  I came all the way here so this could go back where it belongs.

Brock:  Just let me hold it in my hand, Rose.  Please.  Just once.

He comes closer to her.  It is reminiscent of Jack slowly moving up to her at the stern of Titanic.  Surprisingly, she calmly places the massive stone in the palm of his hand, while still holding onto the necklace.  Brock gazes at the object of his quest.  An infinity of cold scalpels glint in its blue depths.  It is mesmerizing.  It fits in his hand just like he imagined.

Brock:  My God.

His grip tightens on the diamond.  He looks up, meeting her gaze.  Her eyes are suddenlty infinitely wise and deep.

Rose:  You look for treasure in the wrong place, Mr Lovett.  Only life is priceless, and making each day count.

His fingers relax, he opens them slowly.  Gently she slips the diamond out of his hand.  He feels it sliding away.

Then with an impish little grin, Rose tosses the necklace over the rail.....

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #222 on: October 25, 2005, 08:46:58 PM »

Hi All!

NYC update- it is freaking freezing here! What the heck happened to fall, don't we get to have one??

End of rant.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #223 on: October 25, 2005, 08:51:53 PM »

Bed time.

Matt H.

« Reply #224 on: October 25, 2005, 08:56:43 PM »

I'm heading for bed myself. Almost midnight here, and tomorrow is another day (a Margaret Mitchell reference).

MBarnum

« Reply #225 on: October 25, 2005, 08:57:20 PM »

John Gavin was an A-list actor? Maybe more of a B+.

I would like for Hugh Jackman to tour Oregon.

Jed

« Reply #226 on: October 25, 2005, 08:57:44 PM »

Ann and I just spent two hours in rather intense debate over an upcoming ballot measure.  Do we know how to party or what?!?

She's ready to agree to disagree, but I think that I'm making a little progress in helping her see the light, so I think I'll have to be stubborn and work on her a little more over the next two weeks. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

MBarnum

« Reply #227 on: October 25, 2005, 08:57:48 PM »

Night JRand55!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #228 on: October 25, 2005, 08:57:55 PM »

TOD: I took French all through elementary school, 5 years worth, and have basically retained nothing.

I learned a lot of Spanish as a wee youngster- my "Grandma" Carmen was fluent and would speak it with my sister and I when she took care of us during our pre-school years.  Unfortunately when I went to kindergarten, kids had trouble understanding some of my spanglish and I quickly dropped it.  I took Spanish in 7th grade as an elective and then for all four years in high school.  I got pretty conversant but didn't pass the AP exam for college credit (although in my defense I had a horrible cold that day).  I took it for a few semesters in college and then stopped pursuing it more out of laziness than anything else.  A lot of it is gone now, but my goal upon graduation is to take some intensive courses and work toward becoming fluent.  It will greatly expand the work that I will be able to do as a social worker.

td

• td
« Reply #229 on: October 25, 2005, 09:02:45 PM »

I hope those of you who got the new WIZARD OF OZ will give us your impressions. I've read so many divergent views on it.

holy hell, I haven't even made it to the MOVIE yet!  I've been enjoying disc two and three's wealth of information (far more than The Ultimate Oz).
Of course my eyes are still gaga over seeing what Peter Jackson looks like without all of his baby fat. . .and how much of that baby fat has worked its way onto Randy Newman. . .now, if I could just take off five pounds. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jed

« Reply #230 on: October 25, 2005, 09:04:36 PM »

I took two years of high school Spanish and that's it.  I retained enough that I was able to substitute teach for first year classes and fool the students into believing that I really knew what I was doing.  Also knew enough for the bilingual and ESL middle schoolers to realize that they couldn't get away with saying things they shouldn't say just because they were speaking Spanish.

I can understand a decent bit of French, along with some Italian, German, and Latin.  Years of singing choral and solo repertoire comes in handy, I guess.  My music background has given me solid pronunciation for German, Italian, and Latin... French takes a bit more work and always results in my writing International Phonetic Alphabet pronunciations in my score.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 09:08:24 PM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #231 on: October 25, 2005, 09:07:41 PM »

Ann and I just spent two hours in rather intense debate over an upcoming ballot measure.  Do we know how to party or what?!?

She's ready to agree to disagree, but I think that I'm making a little progress in helping her see the light, so I think I'll have to be stubborn and work on her a little more over the next two weeks. :D

It's comforting to hear that other couples have these kinds of discussions.  Just ask Rodzinski about the many debates I have sparked after returning home from class...

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #232 on: October 25, 2005, 09:08:10 PM »

Okay, I must go to bed now if I am going to be at all coherent tomorrow morning at work.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #233 on: October 25, 2005, 09:13:01 PM »

I wouldn't have the DVD of The Titanic in my house if someone paid me to take the flatulent ponderous piece of poop.

td

• td
« Reply #234 on: October 25, 2005, 09:19:13 PM »

I wouldn't have the DVD of The Titanic in my house if someone paid me to take the flatulent ponderous piece of poop.

But. . .have you seen NORTH BY NORTHWEST?  I rewatched it the night before last.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #235 on: October 25, 2005, 09:45:53 PM »

Nine forty-five and I'm the only one in the jernt.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #236 on: October 25, 2005, 09:50:52 PM »

I am suffering from a certain inertia this evening.  I really was hoping to watch a DVD, but couldn't focus.  Instead, I watched last week's Alias.  Someone, somewhere, put this completely inept show out of its misery.  It is painful to watch.  Who wants to see a pregant Sydney Bristow.  It's just nonsense.  This complete boob known as Jennifer Garner, dumps Michael Vartan, immediately takes up with Ben Affleck, immediately gets pregnant, putting Alias in total turmoil - and for her boobish behavior she is made a producer and, I'm sure, will direct another episode as ineptly as she did last season.  A classic case of an actor running amok and everyone saying, "Sure, whatever you want."  When she announced her pregnancy, she should have been replaced - it was the only chance the show had.  Vartan isn't the one who should have gone.  And that, my droogs, is how I feel about that.  The fact that people are getting paid unbelievable amounts of money to turn out such pathetic drivel is, as always, nauseating.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #237 on: October 25, 2005, 10:12:24 PM »

I have just gotten home from my first orchestra concert in three years. I am really tired. I also think I might be hungry.

Good night.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Tomovoz

« Reply #238 on: October 25, 2005, 10:17:33 PM »

I've seen Mr Jackman in "Beauty & the Beast" an in "Sunset Boulevard". I saw Todd McKenny in "The Boy From OZ".

I have no desire to see "The Boy From Oz" again - no matter how hard its star works! McKenny was very good too.  Both cast Cds sit on the shelves like so much fish!!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

macchus

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #239 on: October 25, 2005, 11:36:15 PM »

I finally figure out how to post, now everyone posts their photos.  There's just no way I can keep current.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up